86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Thanks so much, guys...
Well, it looks as if my stepfather is coming out of the super-danger zone with the 02 levels,
Glad to know, Mark. Best wishes.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
very good news his O2 levels coming VERY good!!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Drove it for the first time in around 5 days hahahaha.

Drew the outline for the speaker insets on my .50" Birch Panels.... NO time to actually DO anything, other than that... BUT, got my last package that I'll need, for now, from superbrightleds.com... 2 37MM Festoon Bulbs and one more 3022... in RED, for my top secret "MOOD" and "NIGHT VISION HELPER" lighting factor section of my mods, lol.

Curious, just curious.... has anyone any knowledge of these>>>> ????>>>>

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Aud...0812&cp=1&lp=6
Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 PM

polk is one of the better brands, i personally have only heard them in high end cars sound systems that were to die for
Old 11-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Glad to hear your stepdad is doing better. Seems like life can go 90 miles an hour at times and keep you tied up at times.

I havent heard of that brand of speakers before so cant help on that. I like a good 4 speaker sound system and that works great for me, but we do have a few kids that think I like to hear their music when in town and have thought of putting in a good sound system and see what they think of Hank Williams Sr,Grandpa Jones,or Ernest Tubb. I would drive me nuts as well but they wouldnt know that.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Hey Chef-
Checking in, glad to hear you've had a bit of better news, glad you've made the commitment to honor your Stepdad's wishes, glad you get to do a little therapeutic work on the ol' truck. My thoughts are with you, all best wishes for you and your family.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Curious, just curious.... has anyone any knowledge of these>>>> ????>>>>

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Aud...0812&cp=1&lp=6
I run these Polks in the back of my Prelude:
Amazon Amazon

And these in the front:
Amazon Amazon

I love them. I did a bit of research to get the strongest bass I could get and I'm very happy with how they're performing. I used to run 2 12" subs, but the trunk in my Prelude was too shallow for my box, and I liked the idea of trunk space anyway.

The DXi series is a step up from the DB series, so I'm sure you'll be more than happy with them.

Last edited by Ocell; 11-12-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
polk is one of the better brands
Originally Posted by Ocell
Yep, agree with Polk quality. If I were to upgrade my speakers, I'd use their 6.5 in rear seats (I moved mine next to passengers' chests), and the 3.5 for dash. However, right now I just want additional bass so I plan to get a small amp and maybe a 8-inch/6-inch sub.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not personally familiar with those Polk speakers but I've heard good things about the brand...

on a personal note... I got my new starter in... after an epic 19 hr over 3 day battle royal... only to finally hear from my mech. just after I got the fool thing mounted, "yup I did the first one I ever did that way too, found out if you take off the right front wheel there is a removable panel that will give you easy access to the starter area"... thanks a lot buddy, now you tell me... D'OH!... had to get my dad to help me start the top mounting bolt while I held it up... lucky he was around or I'd have had to wait for my neighbour to get home... [this dude while an excellent custom home builder is self admittedly "not very good with mechanical things" ] so I'm not sure how much help he'd have been lol... but I got her done... finishing the final electrical connections and buttoning everything I took off back up in the rain and it works a real treat too... very satisfying when you can fix something for yourself...

Mark you need to post some pics of the "mood lighting" effect...

hmmm... I was just thinking about how your birch panels would look stained and that got me wondering if anyone ever thought of doing a wood panel side effect on their runner like the sides of a 70's Ford Country Squire wagon or Chrysler Town & Country wagon... [or the "Family Wagon Truckster" for you NL Vacation fans lol just not as crass as that one]... IK call me twisted... just don't call me late for dinner...

Last edited by aviator; 11-12-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dang dude i just spent the past hour and a half catching up on your thread lol. I know we spoke about your step-dad on the phone the other day. but dang after reading this now i really understand what you meant. I wish you guys the best Mark. Just remember if you need anybody to talk to please don't hesitate to call. I don't mind taking a day off to go over there to hang for a while. I got 3 more sick days left this year and I know I'm not gonna use them all. After all I live close enough to do so.

Hey btw. Polk Audio is the Shiz nizz! That was my first choice of speakers for my corolla but they were too expensive for me so i went with kicker speakers. They sound great, but no where as clear as the polk audio speakers. When i do my truck, I'm gonna go with Polk audio too. Unless i take everything out of my car when i sell it. In which in that case ill just swap in all the speakers into my truck lol

Last edited by Redeth005; 11-12-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Forgot to input opinion on speakers. :D
Old 11-13-2012, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Alot of good reviews on the Polk speakers. I would rather have better speakers over a stereo versus the other way around. I will keep Polk in mind when I get to the music stage. Hope things are working out for you.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I would rather have better speakers over a stereo versus the other way around.
Agree 120%. Electronics have come a long way; Heck vacuum tube equipment even sound sweeter/better than today's solid-states. However, acoustics, and mechanical/material properties of the speaker are always a challenge. In fact, my truck came with an after-market unit (relatively new), but speakers are old; tweeter cones on the 6x9's are brittle and cracked. I'm sure one of those 6.5 polks would do me good. However, I need a clean thump first so I'll focus on a low-power amp (200_watt?) and decent subs.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
polk is one of the better brands, i personally have only heard them in high end cars sound systems that were to die for
Yeah, .... I've heard them.... LOVED the level of Bass... VERY crisp and clean highs... Just wasn't sure on the DXi 690 series. IF I did this for myself for my Birthday(near Thanksgiving day)... Well, I'd probably want to do it ONCE, like most that I do, FOR A LONG TIME, hahaha... SO, ..... while I'd been REALLY pondering Infinity Top end... I've now seem to find MANY complaints on them "NOT being all that I paid for... which was STEEP!"......... YET, ... More detailed write ups from SOME regarding the 'reference series' of Infinity say, "They need an Amp... they're 150W+ RMS.."..... I don't know, lol. The Kappa series, according to many stereo gurus, are NOT the best.... but they're good. Most all of those knowledgeable guys say, "Don't bother with 5 way's, etc.... a dual or at the most 3 way coaxial speaker is PLENTY"..... I guess both the Infinity and Polk have good bass. Sounds like the Polk have a lil cleaner Highs w/out an amp and with one they're even happier? BUT, a buddy of mine has a sick system with the Kappa Infinity and JL Sub(like me) and it's SOOOOOOO clean. I'll do a lil more research, but I may not even go with new... Like I was telling JasonTN over the phone, .. "These Pioneers have been through hell... and they just wont die or crackle or blow. They sound GREAT, and I don't even have an amp to them. The Blaupunkt in the dash sound good too... BUT, neither are rated for TOO much, like an DXi Polk or Infinity Kappa would be... So I'd just leave it how it is for now. I don't mind letting myself have a lil "unNECESSARY gift" on occasion... BUT, to do so not knowing that it will be much better, let alone 'NIGHT AND DAY'... that's a rough type of 'buy' for me, haha. I could just grab my mom a 46" TV or something, ya know? lol. We'll see, as I said... And, as I also said, "I'm JUST CURIOUS at this point".. ya know? Thanks William. (PS> There's another brand I think I posted.... They looked gold? Anyway, those are supposed to be the best for the buck... REALLY high end quality for around 280$ Bit more than I'd like to spend for 6x9's... Morel's or something like that. I'll find it again. Thought I'd posted it.) >>>>

Here's the "Professional Review" I read,...well, one of MANY... But it was pretty informative...

http://www.bestcovery.com/best-6x9-c...peaker-overall

The second portion on that page is "best budget 6x9"... and the DBi was first, from what I can tell.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Glad to hear your stepdad is doing better. Seems like life can go 90 miles an hour at times and keep you tied up at times.

I havent heard of that brand of speakers before so cant help on that. I like a good 4 speaker sound system and that works great for me, but we do have a few kids that think I like to hear their music when in town and have thought of putting in a good sound system and see what they think of Hank Williams Sr,Grandpa Jones,or Ernest Tubb. I would drive me nuts as well but they wouldnt know that.
Hahahha... I was cranking Elvin Bishop the other day... "Stealing Watermelons", to be specific..... LOVE that old Country-Rock/Southern Blues... especially from him.. He's a LEGEND! "Jumpy lil Juke Joint"... one of my fav's! Yeah, some of the systems are down right annoying... AND, I wouldn't want it much louder than I have it now... Not EVEN necessary, for me anyhow... Because, well, I KNOW, from many musician friends I have, just how dangerous to your hearing that can be. NO WAY.... I already get a lil tickle and "heavy head" feeling from this one JL 10" if I let it rip, ya know? PLENTY for me. Anything beyond the rig... I'll be happy with portable tunes. I don't need it to be heard for 6 blocks, IOW. . And, .....thanks, Terry... I am grateful for your thoughts and prayers, buddy Hope you're doing alright.

Originally Posted by habanero
Hey Chef-
Checking in, glad to hear you've had a bit of better news, glad you've made the commitment to honor your Stepdad's wishes, glad you get to do a little therapeutic work on the ol' truck. My thoughts are with you, all best wishes for you and your family.
Thanks, Hab .... Very much appreciate it. Really hope you and yours are doing well

Originally Posted by Ocell
I run these Polks in the back of my Prelude: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o06_s00_i01

And these in the front:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o06_s00_i00

I love them. I did a bit of research to get the strongest bass I could get and I'm very happy with how they're performing. I used to run 2 12" subs, but the trunk in my Prelude was too shallow for my box, and I liked the idea of trunk space anyway.

The DXi series is a step up from the DB series, so I'm sure you'll be more than happy with them.
Wow, great deal! Yeah, my buddy told me, "If it's a matter of not busting the budget.... just be patient and go with the DXi's.... The DB's are fine speakers... But the DXi's are definitely not fluff for more money.. They're WORTH more and perform more"... I don't say that to dog on you in any way, man! Please know that. lol. I hear what he's saying.. and I've NEVER went for the super high end on this stuff.. Just wondering why I haven't, .... because I do go for better stuff for my truck, otherwise... why not in sounds, right? haha.

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Yep, agree with Polk quality. If I were to upgrade my speakers, I'd use their 6.5 in rear seats (I moved mine next to passengers' chests), and the 3.5 for dash. However, right now I just want additional bass so I plan to get a small amp and maybe a 8-inch/6-inch sub.
Hey RAD, sup brudda? .... Yeah, You'll be happy... I was happy, to be honest... Til I put that 10" JL Higher end 4Ohm Sub in there... Without turning it up TOO Much, keeping it in balance with the rest IOW... it's just SO CLEAN! You should be happy with an 8" or two... Definitely.. And the GOOD boxes are more than the Subs, really... So if you build your own, you're set, right?

Originally Posted by aviator
Not personally familiar with those Polk speakers but I've heard good things about the brand...

on a personal note... I got my new starter in... after an epic 19 hr over 3 day battle royal... only to finally hear from my mech. just after I got the fool thing mounted, "yup I did the first one I ever did that way too, found out if you take off the right front wheel there is a removable panel that will give you easy access to the starter area"... thanks a lot buddy, now you tell me... D'OH!... had to get my dad to help me start the top mounting bolt while I held it up... lucky he was around or I'd have had to wait for my neighbour to get home... [this dude while an excellent custom home builder is self admittedly "not very good with mechanical things" ] so I'm not sure how much help he'd have been lol... but I got her done... finishing the final electrical connections and buttoning everything I took off back up in the rain and it works a real treat too... very satisfying when you can fix something for yourself...

Mark you need to post some pics of the "mood lighting" effect...

hmmm... I was just thinking about how your birch panels would look stained and that got me wondering if anyone ever thought of doing a wood panel side effect on their runner like the sides of a 70's Ford Country Squire wagon or Chrysler Town & Country wagon... [or the "Family Wagon Truckster" for you NL Vacation fans lol just not as crass as that one]... IK call me twisted... just don't call me late for dinner...
Hahaha... Cracking me up, Paul... I needed that... Thanks! All you guys do, very often... I hope I do the same for y'all on occasion. Thought about doing the panels in Gray Stain/shiny finish... maybe just wood stain... But the interior is gray... and with nothing else wood... OUCH, I think it might not work... NOT SURE< just doesn't SEEM like it would, ya know? And I think the Carpet will help absorb sound/help insulate, ya know?

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Dang dude i just spent the past hour and a half catching up on your thread lol. I know we spoke about your step-dad on the phone the other day. but dang after reading this now i really understand what you meant. I wish you guys the best Mark. Just remember if you need anybody to talk to please don't hesitate to call. I don't mind taking a day off to go over there to hang for a while. I got 3 more sick days left this year and I know I'm not gonna use them all. After all I live close enough to do so.

Hey btw. Polk Audio is the Shiz nizz! That was my first choice of speakers for my corolla but they were too expensive for me so i went with kicker speakers. They sound great, but no where as clear as the polk audio speakers. When i do my truck, I'm gonna go with Polk audio too. Unless i take everything out of my car when i sell it. In which in that case ill just swap in all the speakers into my truck lol
Hey Buddy... long time, hope you're well, man! Yeah, I appreciate that, .... I'll letcha know. Thanks very much for the offer.

Here's the deal with him.... It could go either way. He's having the tube pulled today... and if he rejects it... that's it. His advanced directive is 'NO FEEDING TUBES, NO REINSERTION OF THE INTIBATION'... So now it's a real hair raising/nail biting minute to minute to see how he reacts. He has to be able to cough stuff up, or this will never get beat.. And if he didn't.... that'd mean(at least in that portion of his brain) that he'd likely not have full brain function to the point that he'd want to push on.. BUT, he's tough... so we'll see. At least the whole family is in agreement to honor his wishes.... That's RARE. I just don't want him to suffer anymore... He REALLY has, and he likely will for a pretty long haul, after this period, IF he turns the corner and just continues to improve on and on... Even if he does beat this... They've been honest and said, "He will 99% surely not return to even the state he was in before coming here... Which I understand was already advanced to the point of Assisted Living Placement?"...... It's just a terrible situation... My poor mom is a wreck, hidden beneath her tough shell, adorned with "Nicest Lady in the World" attributes. Ahhhhhhhhhhh........

Thanks again, guys....

Mark
Old 11-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Chef, I have db Polk 6x9s in boxes behind the seats and 5" components up in the front doors (used the 4Runner tweeter mounts that go in the corner of the window)....works ok hooked to the Alpine head unit. Nothing fancy, but functional.

While I've not chimed in lately, good vibes have been headed your way repeatedly with the step-dad situation. Take time to take care of yourself too!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:16 PM

They've pushed the removing of the intibation tube off til tomorrow again..... BUT, he's opening his eyes and looking at you/following where he hears the voices he's familiar with, etc. They want to wait another day because they get one chance at this, as his Advanced Directive specifically states "NO feeding tube" and "NO re-intibation, especially via Tracheotomy". He's obviously very agitated, understandably, ... but they can't remove his wrist restraints... Because no matter how many times they've tried to explain to leave everything alone... he's just NOT going to listen(maybe he can't really, who knows... he was ALREADY very insubordinate, more and more daily).... When they tried to clean him up today, they had to untie one hand for that, and LUCKILY, they unlocked his hands from the tube and kept him from pulling it out... because he had INSTANTLY grabbed it and tried to do so.

He IS breathing pretty well on his own, with the intibation tube in and still getting a lil oxygen... They just can't ever be sure that he'll do well once the tube is removed... 1 minute later/4 days later... he could stop breathing on his own... His lungs have taken a big hit, as have his kidneys and possibly his brain(Which is why most elderly people begin to aspirate food into their lungs in the first place... And HE DOES already have a dementia that's coming on pretty quickly since about a year ago. )

Just updating....

Thanks again, guys... and RW, SUP! Thanks, ......much!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon
Take time to take care of yourself too!
PS> YEP.... and I've already developed a very swollen gland on the 'driver side' of the jaw/neck! hahaha. I actually think it was from the first visit with him to the ER, days ago... Before they sent him to the Nursing home... Because this guy was telling me how he had strep.... and as I walked away, he HACKED RIGHT ON ME, MAN! WTH!!!! .... me and 5 others RAN away from him...... I guess maybe I'd not run fast enough! haha.. (I know, I can't really know that's where I got this... But the incubation average on this type of thing sure has me suspicious of that being the cause.

BTW, .... when that happens to me, a lil inflammation comes with it.... In the mouth, etc. SO, last night, eating a piece of Chicken... CRUNCH... I could literally hear it in my ears like if someone open mouth chewed on a Doritos Chip or something! lol... BIT, almost RIGHT THROUGH, on my tongue on that same side that my gland is swollen. ... OUCH!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Thankfully, I work in a non-clinical area of a healthcare facility and am not exposed to most of the illness crud. Yup, incubation period is about right. I am a big believer in getting the annual flu shot too.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:40 PM

heres hoping he does the removal alright mark
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 PM

Thanks, guys.

I tell ya.... What I'm NOT confused about, having had MUCH experience with this, is the fact that THIS STRESS over the last few weeks has DEFINITELY contributed in my vulnerability to 'yucky stuff', .... as it really tears down your immune system.

Anyway, I'll be fine... I've always bounced back quickly... And I'm not sure what's up, ..but it's still not progressed to the throat actually hurting/nor sinus issues, etc. What, again, I DO KNOW, lol... , is that my glands being swollen like that is DEFINITELY a white blood cell build up. (dead ones to be precise, lol..... they're fighting something off I guess).
Old 11-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude if you have strep or a swollen gland you are immuno suppressed... ie your system is already fighting a bug of some kind and you are probably spewing little particles of viral/bacterial goo with every breath you take... stay away from the nursing home/hosp. and if you must go be kind to your self and others and wear a mask... seriously.
I'd keep a "healthy" distance from your grandkid for the moment too...
Take a day [or two] if you can and take it easy... get some chicken soup and lemon and honey tea and have a little me time... you both need and deserve it.
Feel better buddy

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread