86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:30 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Yes I ties it into the driver door switch. I'm going to run anther wire to the passenger switch so each door activates the domes. While you have the panels out you may want to run a few extra wires as spares for future mods and add a couple relays to the window switch, bypassing the computer, so when the computer goes south you don't have to take the panels back out like I did.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice info. next time set your camera to mirco setting for closer shots. if you cant or dont have that setting. dont hold the camera so close. a further clearer shot is better than a closer burly shot. good work tho
Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Right on, RBX. But, I was wondering if you hooked up your rear dome light to the tailgate? Sounds like you wired it to the Front door "OPEN DOOR" portion as well?

Toyo.... yeah, like my last point and shoot... it' has Macro setting. BUT, I somehow had clicked 'live feed' or something. It kept focusing on the window or other things behind. Even in macro, if you don't make the majority of the frame whatever it is, like with my hand, it could still find focus on something else if it 'whites' out, etc. Anyway, yeah... It's funny... I know every setting of my Canon EOS.... but OF COURSE, this lil Canon hasn't had a thorough look see just yet, lol... So, ....I have to test it out better and play around with the settings(It's a Canon 4300, 1080P HD Video and yadda yadda yadda, lol)... It also has some 'NIGHT Recognition Software' that I have to try out. Seems like it's always night before I can get full on into it, lately.

Thanks for the reminder, Toyo..... Appreciate it!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 PM

The Soldering Iron worked well... BUT, it got cold, and the wiring where I was soldering in the Dome light's "DOOR" and "ON" wiring got a lil bit of a PITA! haha.

ON WITH THE PICS, I THEE SWEAR! hahaa>>>

FIRST; I fed the wiring through the shell with a wire hanger. Straightened out as cleanly as I could get it, I then fed it down to the hole by the shell/body joining. Then, I tied the wiring together with electric tape and then a knot around the hanger end(that I'd made a small backward bend in)... then taped over the bend joining of the hanger up by the wiper motor... Then I pulled the hanger through all the way with the wiring attached as I described.(It took a bit of finagling, but all came through nice and clean.....

I pulled it out here.... The connector in the picture below is from a 3rd Brake light I had... it's solid, and I've run the "ON" and "DOOR" wires from the Rear Dome light to the connector....Soldered and heat shrinked each wire well, then 1/2" Heat Shrink over both, behind the connector>>>

In this pic, you can see the other side of the connector.... (For reference, the Yellow wire is the Dome Circuit Feed and the black is the "DOOR" wiring.) ... Anyhow, in the pic, you can see that from the black one, there are 3 there on the other side. One of those is coming from the tailgate "Door Lock Detection Switch w/Diode" wiring... The other 2 are soldered around that 1 into 3 connection, and they are for the OTHER 2 Deck Lamps from the 2nd Gen 4Runners that I'm adding on the walls... They will also have "ON/OFF/DOOR" function as well. >>>>>

I hadn't screwed in all of them tight yet... but I also trimmed the carpet for the tailgate some more... E-6000'd the edges where there was no carpet edging.. AND, glued the carpet to the panel. The panel now has Gorilla Tape for it's edging... And all the way around, there's a 3/8" strip of Weatherstripping.>>>

I'M GETTING CLOSE! Should have the driver side rear panel finished and carpeted soon, and all the lights in the both of them...

The Dome light/rear, should be done, tomorrow. WOOT!

I will be putting down the part numbers, soon... BUT, I went to Toyota, and my buddy has retired. ....... lol. I am looking up the jack handle clips, and hopefully, they'll find me one. If they come with the whole jack assembly... forget it. I have some EASY solutions to that problem. BUT, I also have the part numbers for the tailgate window seals at the top of the gate. 2 TOTALLY different part numbers, for front and back, and around 120$ for both with my discount(probably around 80$ from Toyota Parts Zone.com) ..... ..... I'll keep my eye open for replacements at the yards... BUT, looks like I'll end up having to replace them. I think Richard got some, recently... I WAS ASTONISHED that it's in great shape... I've NEVER seen them so pristine as he's saying that one is. My rear one is the problem, actually.. So all I'll need is that one.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah i have to replace the hard board behind my carpet an find some thick plastic for the tailgate mine didnt have it at all will likely use a garbage bag till i can get to redoing the hard board down the road

lookin good mark
Old 11-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to leave you hanging in the breeze so long Mark...
yes you can usually clean the relays... if you can get the cover off... sometimes you can seperate the cover from the base with an exacto knife... if you can get it open use electrical contact cleaner and spray the thing... you can wipe off the contact surfaces [usually little silver discs] with a q-tip.. if the carbon [black gunk] is really bad you can use the knife to carefully scrape it off or an emory board [sandpaper nail file thingy girls use] but be very careful the contact pts. in these small relays can be fragile. blow out all the use stuff with air [computer cleaner air can would be best... compressor air might be too strong] hit it again with elec. contact cleaner and let it air dry... [if you can test it before you put the cover on give it a try in the truck] glue cover back on and give it a go.

If you were asking about the rubber insulation no no adhesive backing on it... fwiw it's made from old tires and such...
Old 11-03-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
yeah i have to replace the hard board behind my carpet an find some thick plastic for the tailgate mine didnt have it at all will likely use a garbage bag till i can get to redoing the hard board down the road

lookin good mark
Hey buddy... I have those HD Tuffy Bags(not the textured type)... and they're 3X as thick and HD as the plastic that's there. I have a question though.... My tube of Toyota Body Adhesive (the perma'tacky stuff) as compromised and dried out.... Is there another product I could use at the Auto Parts store?

Originally Posted by aviator
Sorry to leave you hanging in the breeze so long Mark...
yes you can usually clean the relays... if you can get the cover off... sometimes you can seperate the cover from the base with an exacto knife... if you can get it open use electrical contact cleaner and spray the thing... you can wipe off the contact surfaces [usually little silver discs] with a q-tip.. if the carbon [black gunk] is really bad you can use the knife to carefully scrape it off or an emory board [sandpaper nail file thingy girls use] but be very careful the contact pts. in these small relays can be fragile. blow out all the use stuff with air [computer cleaner air can would be best... compressor air might be too strong] hit it again with elec. contact cleaner and let it air dry... [if you can test it before you put the cover on give it a try in the truck] glue cover back on and give it a go.

If you were asking about the rubber insulation no no adhesive backing on it... fwiw it's made from old tires and such...
Hey Buddy! NO WORRIES... I'm sure you have more of a life than I do, for which I'm happy for ya And I know you wouldn't just ignore me or anything hahahaha.

Thanks for the info. I have a full can of CRC-Electrical Cleaner and a 1/4 can left frmo when I bought 2-for-price of 1 lol. I will have a good look at 4crawlers page again to make sure I am careful in getting it open and cleaned up/reviewing the "usual suspects" of operational failure.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey buddy... I have those HD Tuffy Bags(not the textured type)... and they're 3X as thick and HD as the plastic that's there. I have a question though.... My tube of Toyota Body Adhesive (the perma'tacky stuff) as compromised and dried out.... Is there another product I could use at the Auto Parts store?
i havent seen anything at the stores thats like the sticky tar they use to hold the plastic on the panels

i was going to use wide electrical tape
Old 11-03-2012, 03:15 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Hey buddy... I have those HD Tuffy Bags(not the textured type)... and they're 3X as thick and HD as the plastic that's there. My tube of Toyota Body Adhesive (the perma'tacky stuff) as compromised and dried out.... Is there another product I could use at the Auto Parts store?
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
i havent seen anything at the stores thats like the sticky tar they use to hold the plastic on the panels
i was going to use wide electrical tape
Tar-like stuff not necessary. Any decent adhesive will do, yeah, electrical tape (better than duct tape 'cause duct tape dries and cracks). Double-sided adhesive (no foam backing) will will, too.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Tar-like stuff not necessary. Any decent adhesive will do, yeah, electrical tape (better than duct tape 'cause duct tape dries and cracks). Double-sided adhesive (no foam backing) will will, too.
oh ive seen 21 yr old duct tape inside a door panel

dont want to again

had to sand the residue off an repaint the door it wouldnt come off for love or money... well money i had to sand an paint it

no electrical tape is my choice an the glue comes off with carb cleaner if needed
Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 AM

Hey Guys... I have SOME pics, ... but everything fell apart on me, yesterday, when my Stepfather began to really act odd. He was falling asleep all day, falling down every time he'd try to get up, unable to speak much, VERY lethargic, leaning to the right no matter how to try to prop him up...... Just REALLY 'off', even for him! So around 10pm, I took him to the ER.. He's there right now, they'll be testing him all night.

ONE thing came up while there, when they asked me, "Is he A-Fib?"(Atrial Fibrillation)... I said, "NOPE, they've always said his heart is doing fantastic..... It's the rest of him that's fallen apart, RAPIDLY, since coming home from Surgery. He's gone in and out of 'doing better'... BUT, the problem is that when he's doing better... he's EVEN MORE dangerous to himself and my mother. He will simply not behave, ever. Far as his heart, as I said... every check up since leaving the hospital(around 15), has been A+ on the rhythm, pulse, BP is always a lil high... but since the new valve and 3x bypass... seemed better."... They said, "Hmmmm, .... well, it's not dangerous off.. but not great either. He's going from 80-130, back and forth, fairly erratic... BUT, it's not til around 140BPM that they really get concerned.".......

My poor mother is pretty upset... but not shocked. It's just so stressful not KNOWING what the problem is/etc. Add that to the MASSIVE stress she's been under, trying to care for him when I can't... It's pretty much wiping her out, quickly. She's falling asleep throughout the day, every day now... She's just wiped out. Today, he fell several times, and she WILL NOT try to lift him... BUT, as he was trying to get to the pot or whatever... she said she literally blew out her back. It's been getting worse... and now she said, today, "It's hurting all the time, not just when I'm using it.... It's worrying me"......

Please keep them in your prayers, if you do so? I, and I know my mother, as well, would deeply appreciate it!
Old 11-04-2012, 03:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2 extra prayers headed to Cali. Hope everything works out boss.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:44 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
... but everything fell apart on me, yesterday, when my Stepfather began to really act odd. He was falling asleep all day,
Praying that the family is coping well, Chef.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 AM

Sorry for what you're going through Mark! I'm definitely keeping all of you guys in my prayers... It's amazing what God can do when many people are praying! I hope all gets better!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:02 AM

my best hopes mark
Old 11-04-2012, 11:09 AM

Thanks, so much, for the prayers. And yep, you're right, Nick... MOUNTAINS can be moved. This is so rough, getting old.... And, yet the load that it entails upon everyone who maintains your life as you become dependent? IT'S HUGE! 50%+ of Family Caregivers die before those they are caring for....... WHAT THE? I mean, ...... I can TOTALLY see why, and to be honest, I'm AMAZED that this hasn't taken my mom out yet. IT"S TRYING, trust me, ...but she is SO strong, beneath the shell of 'super-kindest woman in the world'-exterior. haha.

Today, they moved him to a "Skilled Nursing Facility" for 'physical and occupational therapy'.... I'm not sure why, as they cancelled his Physical Therapy before he'd finished, last time... And that was MONTHS ago, when he was seemingly much better than yesterday/recently. I guess they'd not found any obvious strokes of bigger than TIA size, nor anything else aside from the A-fib.... I'm dropping my mom off there in a couple hours..... we'll see.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:16 AM

A little truck related chunk, lol...

I had a bit of a problem with the dome in back... Well, I DO, I guess I should say..... I'm POSITIVE I wired in the tailgate wiring and diode properly... BUT, for some reason, it wont come on with the 'door' setting. "ON" and "OFF" work just fine. And WOW, it's incredibly 'SICKTASTICALACIOUSIBULOUS-LUMINESCENCE!' haha. I have to figure out the door thing before anything else, IF I'LL EVEN HAVE TIME, now, with all that's going on(because I have the other 2 lights that will power up that way as well, off tripod soldering unions for them/They're "DOOR/off/ON" as well... And NO, I'm not concerned about it right now..... The health issues and current drama that's unfolding come first.. It's just that I've spent so much time on this so far... Lil saddened when I couldn't get it to work.) MY FAULT for not checking it before soldering it up, each step of the way... I had checked the dome circuit, ... etc. IT COULD be the connector wiring that I added in from that 3rd brake light... I will test the others that I have breaking off of the main feed from the tailgate, just to see if it's that wire in particular.

PS> I also wanted to share the main reason I do NOT want to build the 10 into a larger mock box built between the roll bars... Because it would make removing the panels for ANYTHING, so much more of a bear... it's just not practical, for me anyhow... Especially now. The 6x9's would be different... as they will be in solid/large expansion nutserts... This way I can remove the screws and speakers without damaging the wood/screw holes.... IT'S A SOLID PLAN, I TELL YOU! haha.

Thanks again for the well wishing, guys.... MUCH appreciated.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:57 AM

Just to avoid making this thread 'PLAGUE STATUS, AVOID AT ALL COSTS', due to depressing attributes, lol... I'll post up some pics.. First 2 of the lights, Front Dome/2 Door LED's and Also Rear dome...... The last one JUST the Rear Dome.....

Old 11-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duecedly bright lights back there old man... have'nt you heard about "mood lighting" for the "back seat areas"... I like the white lights in the doors... really must get my red door lights hooked up... they've only been there for 6 or more yrs now...

on the step dad issue sounds to me like he's had a minor stroke or two... the mood changes and leaning off center thing sound like the after effects of a stroke or else an anesthesia OD... could also be a bad interaction with all the meds they no doubt have him on... strong thoughts and positive juju aimed your family's way amigo...
Old 11-04-2012, 06:13 PM

Those LED's are pretty dang bright! Might have to do this since I can never see around the storage area if it's dark outside!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread