86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Yep, it's a tiny bulb (I thought that grey circular thing was some manufacturing batch marker - LOL!). I would not use it there in the back, though, 'cause the way you intend it for means it would have to be always on, even when ignition is off meaning it wold drain battery. Unless you add another switch to illuminate the switch only when camping in deck. I think that would be too much hardware, work and trouble for a minor benefit. Now wiring the light for the console switch would make better sense. Wire it to same circuit that illuminates dash.
Wait, .... now I'm confused after reading your last post about "Lights Illuminated" and such... Were you kidding about the "Manufacturing Batch Marker", .... ya know, sassing me a bit? hahaha... That's what I thought, but now I'm not so sure. I knew it was lit somehow... I just never thought of that lil plug as the source, haha... MAN, that really makes me feel dense, man! haha.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
def mark! coming out to cali before school starts here before spring, might have to a figure a way to drag the 86 with me if ya know what i mean?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well the lens on that light polished up nicely fit a LED panel in there an wow you can have a party in the back of your runner chef :-)
Old 10-12-2012, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Wow!!! You are getting after the projects and they arent just quick fixes either. Them spray adhesives is some sticky stuff that usually finds its way on me.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:34 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
OK, .... so I took the 2nd Gen 4Runner Rear Wiper Motor and Speaker Cover Dome Light and applied some of the tests with the Multi-Meter that RAD was showing me... I also took pics of the process/how the connector looks, etc. >>>>

This is checking both sides with the Lever set to OFF......

Soooooooo, ..... do I have this right???? >>>>>>>

Anyway, are you saying your switches weren't lighting up before?

RAD, ...would it work using a SPARE rear window lock switch in the rear? I think a safety style like I have in my dash for the off road lights is better.... it can't be accidentally switched off. But hypothetically, wouldn't it have the same effect as any flip switch?
Hi, Chef,
Pls hold off on wiring the fixture above. Need to verify bulb resistance and pin config. Mind taking resistance measurement directly across the bulb?

Yes, spare window lock switch will work just a swell in back as in console. Hmm... maybe I just did not notice console light illumination. Meaning I don't really need it, but will double-check. Will re-route console switches to dash soon.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:28 AM

RAD, here ya go.......... (Once again, GREEN is Positive Meter Terminal and YELLOW is negative)..........

All tests with Ohmmeter set to 200 Ohms..... Came out "OL" on bulb pin to bulb pin(not matter whether on "OFF", "DOOR" or "ON"... As it should, right? )... 2.5 and 2.6 with bulb in, whether set to off or door(on was the same)

(RAD: I have to add.... I'm not CERTAIN that when I did those tests in the previous post, with the cover on, whether or not the bulb was in)....

First pic w/out bulb, obviously...

Second pic with bulb and switch set to "DOOR"

Third pic with bulb and switch set to "OFF"

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-12-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:38 AM

PS> I did manage to light up this bulb in a video, RAD.... I think because I was confused about the 'Switched Ground' deal... I was only getting it to light on "ON". I would likely have to put 12V to both outside pins and ground in the Center, to get either "ON" or "DOOR" to work at the same test session, right?

PSS> Just to be clear, for everyone.... ;

This fixture DOES NOT ground to the chassis harness through a bolt.... In the 2nd Gen 4Runner, it only clips into a plastic housing.... There are no mounting screws that complete the ground. Thus, "A third wire"... Which, if I remember correctly.... Toyota, even into current times, but especially back then.... The BLUE wires in Toyota are almost always Ground or Switched ground anyway, within the harness wiring.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-12-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
... I think because I was confused about the 'Switched Ground' deal... I was only getting it to light on "ON".
I would likely have to put 12V to both outside pins and ground in the Center, to get either "ON" or "DOOR" to work at the same test session, right?
To make summarize:
If you're wiring it to bryan89's schematic, you only connect steady +12 volts to one side of bulb. In order to turn it on, switch will connect other side of bulb to either:
  • "On" pin that is constantly grounded, or
  • "Door" pin that gets it's ground from rear door lock detection
thingamajig.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Some pics of what I saw today in case you wanted to go take a looksy....Of course I kept the Altimeter for myself! wooo hooo! finally! Weird the dash and everything was already taken apart and thrashed like whomever before was looking for something....but could care less about the altimeter?? guess that person had enough of them already

There was a cool custom bed mat that matched the seats, looked real comfy. Obviously this person had the seats upholstered.

The lid for the center console was there also.

Also saw this 2nd Gen 4runner there that had practically brand new Bilstein rears!! $11 each....someone is gonna score tomorrow. It's half off this weekend there.

Of course I went there for my camry, but the few 87-88's were all analog speedometers. Luckily I found the altimeter though!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 PM

aww dude shocks on my list an those fender arches! those would SO fix my rust issues
Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
aww dude shocks on my list an those fender arches! those would SO fix my rust issues
Cyberhorn The Dragon, you mean the chrome trim around wheel well and rocker panel? I'm removing mine Too bad you're not in So Cal.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Cyberhorn The Dragon, you mean the chrome trim around wheel well and rocker panel? I'm removing mine Too bad you're not in So Cal.
oh no RAD i need the fender arch for both sides
Old 10-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
The guy I got my bumper from today has the runner from California. You would be amazed at the condition of it.

Grego...Never seen a 3rd Gen rear bumper on a 1st gen.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Is that what that is! I knew it was different, I just don't know enough about the 1st Gens so I purposely took a picture of it and wondered if someone would say something Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 PM

Wow, very cool find, Grego... See, that's the kinda thing I could grab whole(the day it came in) for 600-800$, rebuild the motor, cherry it out inside and out, rebuild the front axle, grab an IFS Gear box for it at PYPart, ...... and under 3K$ I would have a CHERRY 85!

Unfortunately, they have dudes they do DEALS with that rip out the gears at 8am when they open(they get tips).... And then other 'dudes'(I should say SCHMUCKS!) JUST rip OUT THE DASH to get something from it... UNREAL! Not that it was cherry or anything.. BUT, ....... c'monnnnnn! Ya know?

Richard met me at PYPart today.... as I'd read an 88 SR5 Xtra Cab was there... Got there, and to my surprise, IT WAS 4WD! ........... So, today I scored, ........

SR5 Gauge Cluster, SR5 Maplight in Gray, Gray PU rear view mirror/dome light w/out cover unfortunately, Another pair of Aisin IFS Manual Locking Hubs and all hardware for full conversion and so on, ... another Rear Window Switch and Window Lock Switch, Another 2nd Gen rear Dome Light in Gray, a full set of both sides of the Rubber Fender Skirt/Splash Shield/Brake Line Protector shields(the ones that snap into the chassis where the Inspection plate is for the oil filter and fuel filter?)....

Was another good day there. Lupe being up front at the Register didn't hurt me none, either hahaha.

Richard got some needed parts, too... 2nd Gen PU Wiper Arms with blades, unmolested, .... a perfect condition hood latch/lock, ..... and I found him a Wiper Fluid Reservoir with NO corrosion on the motor, etc.,.. (I THINK he grabbed that... can't remember.)... Then a couple other things he got too. I'll let him share. It worked out for him, I think, because he didn't have to leave work, go home, get tools, then come back there... He just came straight from work and used my tools.. so it worked out great.

BTW, with the impact and proper set up I use on the hubs? I think it took me 20 minutes or so to get the hubs and 54MM nutsx4 and Star Washers out... All cones, etc., all there, once again! WOOT! Now I have 2 pairs to restore. I would have probably grabbed more stuff from it.. BUT, it was 5:30PM... Credit machine closes at 5:45 hahaha.

PS> 2ND GEN 4RUNNER WIPERS DO NOTTTTTTTT FITTTTTTTTTT 1st Gen 4runners or 2nd Gen PU's.. The recess in the housing where it mounts to the Spline? MUCH thicker on the 2nd Gen, IIRC... Richard was trying to test them out on the 2nd Gen PU... no go .

Grego.... There was a pretty clean 3rd Gen Xtra Cab PU there with decent door panels and other interior stuffs... Both doors are removed and in VERY good condition(Bright red)..... much of the engine was still there... and the ENTIRE rear seat backrest and carpeting and all that was REALLY nice. There was also another PU, a 92 or so, dark blue, ..... half gutted, but pretty clean. Also 2wd. I didn't see them really until leaving. They were supposed to have a 3rd Gen 4Runner there... BUT, Richard said he didn't see it. I found this 88 4WD PU and got to work RIGHT OFF, lol.... So I didn't see.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:47 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
I was going to say the same thing. I was thinking it might be a second gen bumper though because my '00 does not have the keyhole for the jack handle on it. I have no idea on the 2nd gens 'cause I never ownerd one. But maybe the '96-'97 have the keyhole?

Some Californian handy with tin snips could make a small fortune selling the dog leg area and the wheel arches to those of us on the east coast with the 4Runner pattern rust! Well too late to help me though.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:18 PM

Nervo you hit it right on the head

an my ol girl she came from upsate NY which is why shes got that rust an more all over her LOL

i can say the lady of the house her 2nd gen has the keyhole in the bumper but shes got the swing out SR5 mount
Old 10-12-2012, 10:56 PM

Was in the area..... WTHeck, right? ... Worked out pretty good........

Old 10-13-2012, 12:32 AM

My Wish List

Chef's such a shopaholic. Does PYPart have a piano player so wives/GF's can listen while we shop? LOL!

Chef,
Thank you so much for the switches!
If you happen to find the following, please let me know so I can to buy them from you:
  • Brown side panel that goes where front shoulder belt anchors go, as in Terry's pic here, cause mine's all cracked,
  • Those handles near ceiling that passengers would grab when truck leans/makes sharp turn. Need 3 of those. Color does not matter.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:49 AM

Hey RAD, ... my pleasure.

Far as the panels... Sure, if I see them, I'll grab you some. They were fine in this one yesterday...But Gray. I would shoot for 'WHATEVER COLOR I CAN GET' were I you, lol... They're just not often there. If I head back for any reason in the near future... and they're still there, lemme know if you care on the color of the panels.(you'd just have to paint them, Terry's good at that stuff and knows the best vinyl paints).

Far as the "OH CRAP" handles... I see those all the time. BUT, the 1st Gen 4Runners and 2nd Gen PU handles are EXACTLY the same mounting hole positions.. I just think the 1st Gen ones are actually nicer looking. You need 3, eh? Hmmmm.... A pillar handle being added? I added one above my head on driver side... THOUGHT about mounting one in the A-pillar... just can't stomach cutting into that,... and I might be trying to add a guage slot a-pillar eventually for Vacuum, Coolant Temp and Oil pressure(Something is probably wrong in my wiring from the Coolant Temp Sending unit. I'm pressure sure it's toast. I need another. The top portion of 'plastifille', that orange stuff on top of the sensor by the pin? .. it's coming up and buggered... I JBKwik welded it... so it's sealed up there.. But I don't know if that is where the pin secures into the filament/if that stuff being pulled up on top could cause numbers being wacky. My Oil pressure was wacky.. but that was the pin barely staying on. I have the rubber boot on my oil pressure sending unit for oil pressure gauge/OEM... but, the CTSending unit being fuggly and possibly compromised has me thinking, it's not the gauges at all..../// I tried to swap in a gauge from a known working SR5 Gauge Cluster... It's NOT AS wonky, but it's not seemingly stuck on 1/3rd measurement of coolant temp, all the time. lol.) I might try this other gauge cluster to see if it works more properly... then if it does, I know it's not the Sending unit... I DO NOT want to have to pull that if I don't have to(have to burp the system again, etc., etc.)

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread