ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 10:27 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
OK, I found ONE of the threads I had been reading.... CORAX ROX! lol....>>>

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...4Runner-Brakes
Old 10-06-2012, 11:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
taken from PDF for 88 runners just to lower the glass without power i would imagine its much the same for all 1st gens

id say step 11 use some wedges to hold the glass till you have a free hand
Old 10-06-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
What year was the old Toyota in post 4914? A friend of mine had a white 69 Corona until about 15 years ago. It was unusual for the east coast. The interior was really high quality compared to the '73 Corolla Deluxe my dad bought new (after serving in the Pacific Theater in WWII).

When you get the chance, I'd love a discussion about what tools you carry to the Pick n' Pull.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mark,

We met at the Pick your part today looking over the white 4runner. You have quite the thread here an I will have to spend some reading through it. We got the lca cleaned up and installed so back to the alignment shop next week to see if it took care of the problem. It was good to meet you and let me know if you run across any 3rz or 3.4 wrecks.

John
Old 10-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I added your brake upgrade to one of the last post on my 88Runner build so I could find it when I get to that stage, Thanks

I knew I had seen that diagram before somewhere. Thanks Cyberhorn.

Nervo... I carry a little satchel that has a Flat Blade and Phillips Screw Driver and then for wrenches and sockets, a 8,10,12,14,17,19 mm and a pair of pliers, will get just about anything you need, for the most part. If getting into leaf springs,bed bolts,or the crankshaft pulley then I will get cheater bars and larger, powerful tools or have the yard to get it. But with my satchel, there isnt much I cant do with what is in it. It isnt much and not heavy and built it out of cheap pawn shop tools.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
taken from PDF for 88 runners just to lower the glass without power i would imagine its much the same for all 1st gens

id say step 11 use some wedges to hold the glass till you have a free hand
...... hahahaha! Actually, I'm no longer intimidated by this nearly as much as I'd been before. But, this is DEFINITELY a few steps above the latch cables in the 'eeek' dept., .... THANK YOU, Dragon! Very cool of ya.

Originally Posted by Nervo19
What year was the old Toyota in post 4914? A friend of mine had a white 69 Corona until about 15 years ago. It was unusual for the east coast. The interior was really high quality compared to the '73 Corolla Deluxe my dad bought new (after serving in the Pacific Theater in WWII).

When you get the chance, I'd love a discussion about what tools you carry to the Pick n' Pull.
Hey Nervo! Sup? You know, I'm not sure what year it was... BUT, I went back and gotta tell ya..... there were THREE of them, ... one being a 2 door and appearing to me to be "The Next Gen" of the Corona/Corolla... (Different taillights, front end).... But still in the 'VERY OLD' range. So maybe 70-71? I'll look up some Google Pics and see if I can't figure it out. Unfortunately, I didn't get pics... Sorry. Doubting I could find the year, either, the thing was pretty weathered(the one in the pic)... It had black LEATHER interior! hahaha... And the dash was VERYYYYYY cool retro-action! SUPER small car.... Much like a Mini Cooper in size. I would LOVE to have one in a lil better shape to restore, ya know? Talk about RARE! Maybe put a Corolla GT-S 16V motor and some brakes and so on in there? hehe... Stock would be cooler... But I'm not sure it would ever be worth what it would take to get my money back out of it should I need to one day. Still... Very cool.

I should get a pic of my Pick-Your-Part Kit, lol....

1. I have a 5Gal Bucket with a Kobalt Bucket Bag(Thanks to Redeth for that idea... His is not really a Bucket liner style... It's actually got a bottom. BUT, I liked the rigid idea of the bucket more.. So I went with that style)..... LOVE it, been using it for a few visits. I normally just took my 24" toolbox that I could lock to the 4 wheel carts they provide at the yard(2 small car tires in the rear, handle at waste height, 2 steel wheels at the front and a metal mesh platform base... I'll get a pic one time ) ...BUT, it's a bit of a PITA to have to unlock and open every time I need something... SO, I just bring all my goodies on a small dolly.(Plus, I have cordless impacts and drills that don't fit in my toolbox.... so..... I place them in the bottom of the bucket) YOU'D BE SHOCKED what a 5Gal Bucket can hold! haha. I also have a 24" Flathead Screwdriver, 26" 1/2" Drive Breaker bar, 3# Hammer, Multiple Pliers, snips, angled LONG HD Kobalt Needle Nose(45* and 90*... GREAT help for getting clips out from behind the dash, fenders, etc.), some 1945 Chicago Steel Works Wire Cutters, Channel Locks, and YES, ... a 14" Pipe Wrench(you'd be SHOCKED how often that comes in handy)... In the pockets around the outside of the bucket, along with the rest ^^^^ ... I have a Kobalt Ratcheting Screwdriver kit with a zip up holder for all the bits, .... Telescopic... AND, I have a hard right angled handle Ratcheting Driver as well, for the 'tighter' spots . Also in a sleeve on the side I have a mini hack saw, and IN the bucket, a regular one(that is NOT for destroying things... Except for large belts like on a car, yesterday(I'll post it next post)... This saved me around a half hour and WHO IS GOING TO BUY BELTS OFF A 94 CAR? hahaha. I would never cut hoses or the Harnesses, etc. NOR hard lines or anything else that someone else could use for that matter... But BELTS? lol... (this was an already damaged 1" wide Serpentine fan belt...that's all I'll say for now, hehe).....

Anyway, I'll do a post of that... BUT, I have to share something else that REALLY ticked me off.....

Yesterday, walking into the Smaller Yard on Blinn Ave.,.... I showed him, "Hey, this is MY Toyota jack and handle... The guys up the street at the other Yard painted it for me so I could use it and then leave with it w/out paying.."... He took one look and said, "NOPE, can't use those in here... ONLY wheeled jacks... THAT I would mark.. But, ... I CAN NOT let you take that in. We sell them over there, see? BUT, you can't use those, either... You have to buy one on your way out if you needed one."... I told him, "I GOT THIS from that blue 87 4Runner you had back there.... Musta missed one, eh?". He responded, "YEP, sometimes those dudes get lazy if the window is up...... But they are NOT supposed to leave the jacks unless they are Wheel Types.... Safety Risk".... .... I WISH there was a rolls eyes WHILE face palming thereafter smiley! hahaha... Wasn't his fault... and I'm GLAD I ASKED... Cuz they would have made me pay for it. They don't mess around on that... If they see ONE CAR PART that's not on your receipt? YOINK, then just walk away over to the desk and put it in this box... they don't even ASK YOU! HAHA... Fair enough on that, cuz they DO ASK YOU, coming in... "NOOOOOOO CAR PARTS, RIGHT? NOT ALLOWED!".... You don't get the stamp without answering them. Some guys rifle through your stuff, TO THE BOTTOM.. (doing their job, actually!)... and others just "hey homie... see you next time", hahhaa... NEVER KNOW who you're going to get, so I suggest people don't steal... They WILL ban you and even call the cops if it's above a certain amount. Usually they don't, they figure, "Meh, ... he could argue he just forgot about it in all that mess of tools, etc."... So it's not worth it to them, ya know? The other day...someone tried to roll a tire out on a brisk run! hahahaha... RIGHT THEN near the gate, this worker kicked closed the larger gate(so you can leave with big things), and the tire BANGGGGG! lol. The guy BALL FACE LIED and said, "I JUST PAID FOR THIS".... To which they answered, "Oh really? That's interesting, cuz I just saw you run from the ENTIRE OTHER SIDE of the lot and never stop... And you know the rules anyway... You stop here, have it marked that it's from our yard... VOILA, you're done!"... They asked for his ID and he just took a "Let's go!" Stance.. so they backed off and he walked back to his car, like HE was the one that was wronged! FRIGGEN PEOPLE, MAN! hahahaha.

2. I have a Milk Crate with a HD Cardboard bottom from the Cases of Water bottles you get at the store, lining the bottom to keep tools from slipping through, etc.(Although, anything that could slip through, really, goes in the Bucket sleeves.... I'll get a pic today... It's handy around the garage, too. In the Milk crate, I have a Roll up carrier for all my open/closed end wrenches, ratchet or otherwise... (I'll get a pic of that too, HARBOR FREIGHT, ALL LEATHER, HEAVYYYYY DUTY, 6.99$ WITH A 20% OFF COUPON AND ALREADY ON SALE! HEHEHE. I also carry an Impact Driver in the Milk Crate(THANK YOU, whomever it was, that said, "Try and Impact Driver" on something... /I'll properly thank them when I find the post... I think it was another thread/ ... That helped me get that Torx Bit bolt out on that LAST of 4 being removed to get the Dakota Springs out of that 98 Extra Cab Dakota... WOOT! I would have been stuck, honestly!)... also carry a VERY HD bag that fits all my larger impact sockets and even some smaller odd ones and standard ones for other vehicles(3/8, 7/16, 1/2, etc... Then 12, 13(used this for MANY other things), 14, 15(also has come up), 17, 19, 21(toyota lugs), 22(Torsion Bars), 24(pinion? Can't remember, but I HAVE used them), 30, 32, 36 and 54 Axle Socket.. on top of the 1/2" Drive 3/8"Drive-14" Breaker, most of them in Deep and Standard versions. (The 3/8" Drive Breaker Bar is CRITICAL in getting into spots where my 3/8" Drive Socket Wrench JUST WOULDN'T FIT... Used it yesterday... (I'll post up why in my next post after pics, etc.). I also have my 3/8" Standard and Metric Powerbuilt 1990's Socket Set, 12-19, EVERY one, and 3/8-3/4?.....(ALL THIS WORK, over around 20 years...NOT ONE socket nor the wrench has EVERRRRR even come close to giving me a problem... Craftsman on the other hand? Broke 3 Wrenches since owning them over time(I like the ROUND handle of the powerbuild 3/8 and 1/2 drives better, anyhow... NEVER liked the flattened style, not sure why.) BTW, never knew this... But the other day, someone informed me(Think it was Grego)... "Yeah, Powerbuilt? ...Made in LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA!"... (Really quickly... I bought around 500-700$ worth of Powerbuilt tools from Kragen, right before they turned into O'Reilly/Shucks..... for 40$~!!!!!!!!!!!! YEP, you heard me! lol.. I stashed them over the weeks before, cuz a buddy who works there told me, "Dude, they're going to be 85% and more off by the last days.... Put em in the back and behind things that don't sell"... So I did! lol).

3. The bucket sits on top of the Milk Crate and a Tractor Trailer Bungie Cord holds the milk crate to the dolly arms on the side.

ESPECIALLY during 50% off sales.... GOOD LUCK finding a 4 wheel cart... But when I do, I just roll the dolly up on the cart, to the back of it.... then have plenty of room on the platform for whatever I get, ya know? With the Dolly, It's no wider than a couple feet with the Milk Crate.

Originally Posted by 04sport4x4
Hi Mark,

We met at the Pick your part today looking over the white 4runner. You have quite the thread here an I will have to spend some reading through it. We got the lca cleaned up and installed so back to the alignment shop next week to see if it took care of the problem. It was good to meet you and let me know if you run across any 3rz or 3.4 wrecks.

John
JOHN, ... it was FANTASTIC to meet you and your Son! Good people... And YOTA-FOLK, nonetheless! hahaha. Glad you got what you came for that day.. and REALLY hoping that solves your problem. Have you looked into the A-Arm Mounting section maybe being cocked sideways/hit on the frame right there? REALLY hope you have no frame damage.... My buddy is dealing with that right now... I also had a LOT of issues one time with alignment due to 'WONKY ball joints'...

CAN'T WAIT to see your 89 Extra Cab all SAS'sy and 3RZ'd(or 5VZE'd... if the logic portion doesn't take over and win! hahaha.. That was funny).

Say hi to your Son, John, .... good to see him out there slangin grease.... NOT ENOUGH of that anymore... Yet, yeah.... soon as that thing's on the road full time... You'll likely see a lot less of him, right? hahaha.

Just a reminder.. that Maetra or whatever it's called Power Antenna I have? PIECE OF CAKE install, better reception, lifetime guarantee at O'Reilly and it will ALWAYS go down on it's own when you kill the motor . I REALLY should have grabbed that power one yesterday... OEM Toyota with the mast still in? VERY rare! lol... Even though the wire was cut.... I could fix that, ya know? Have spares. Just a thought.

PLEASE tell me you have a build thread/your son, too???? I know you're not much on time in here... BUT, we'd just be happy with a few pics along the way, ya know? lol.

Again, GREAT to meet ya, John.... You should come with to the Angeles Crest one of these days pretty soon... I'll be heading up there again, shortly, if possible... You're welcome to come along. Might even be around 5-6 of our rigs if I can get that organized(schedules don't always line up, I know ... but worth a try, right? )

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I added your brake upgrade to one of the last post on my 88Runner build so I could find it when I get to that stage, Thanks

I knew I had seen that diagram before somewhere. Thanks Cyberhorn.

Nervo... I carry a little satchel that has a Flat Blade and Phillips Screw Driver and then for wrenches and sockets, a 8,10,12,14,17,19 mm and a pair of pliers, will get just about anything you need, for the most part. If getting into leaf springs,bed bolts,or the crankshaft pulley then I will get cheater bars and larger, powerful tools or have the yard to get it. But with my satchel, there isnt much I cant do with what is in it. It isnt much and not heavy and built it out of cheap pawn shop tools.
TERRY, MY SUPER HELPFUL YOTA-BROTHER! lol... YEP, very cool of him... just like YOU always are! haha. BTW, you were talking bout the link I posted by Corax on EPortal? Or Dragons Break Upgrade? BOTH will help.

PS> I read LOTS on this, ...and Corax and a few others said, "If you're getting the 1-1/16" Bore Master from a T100.... GET THE BOOSTER, otherwise you will have INCREDIBLY stiff pedal without that Dual Diaphragm Booster"....... I've been looking in the yards... And I PASSED on one the other day... ..... Funny how those things, ... you just walk right on by and then think, "WOW, the T100 could have been the Booster I needed"... NEXT DAY it was gone ... Ahhhh... oh well. I WILL find one, muaaaahahaha!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-07-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:08 PM

well i only went to a 1" bore a bit more peddle than the 5/8" that the runner had (which was leaking an 'repaired'

eventually id like to do other brake upgrades thank ya chef for the info
Old 10-07-2012, 08:46 PM

Rear Wiper Cover Dome Light Mod Begins.......

I have a bunch of info today. However, I'll break it up into a couple/three posts... It get's too confusing.

SOOOO, removed the cover, Cleaned it up, cleaned up the lens on this 2nd Gen 4Runner Dome Light, made a template, got cutting and then WOOT,... it's in! (NO WIRING YET, just was fitting it to the cover)...........

For those who've not looked at a 2nd Gen 4Runner Dome light....... this is it.......

It's different in 'length of the risen portion' in the back.. So it took a lil modification, ....but I got one in my Factory Dome Light Position TINY bit of work, actually. Just cut another 1/2" further and it dropped right in.. JUST CUT THE RIGHT DIRECTION! lol... The key is the watch that the Bolt holes stay in the SAME spot.. Just where the plug is is a little longer.

Next, I cut out a Template for the back side of the 2nd Gen 4Runner Dome Light........

Then I laid it on the cover and outlined/in-lined it? hehe...

Then I began to cut it out.... Using my mini drill proved ONLY useful to get it started..... THEN I stuck the SUPER sharp Xacto Razor/Knife(adjustable) in there and began to carefully saw on the line. It worked....

Leaving it laid in there... I used the Dremmel Drill bit to pen in the markings for the PERFECT locations of the bolts I was going to use....

Then, went progressive, slowly, with the bits, til the 'FINE machined screw bolts fit......

Then Slapped the fine thread pitched machine bolts nuts and lock washers in there(YES, one has an extra nut and lock washer... that will be the ground/I THINK! lol... Gotta make sure which one of two to use for the ground... But anyway, you get the idea! lol.......

IT FITS! hehehe... Now just to wire it up, thanks to RAD, Bryan89, RBX and a few others who'd done this BEFORE ME! lol... IT'S GOING TO BE PLENTY of light... I'll still probably add the second deck lamp on the other side... Why not, I have an extra and they're barely 1Watt Usage, YA KNOW? hahaha... >>>>>>>>>>

THIS, my friends, is next.... I will have a Second Dome type Rear View Mirror light for when the door opens, etc.... But it can be turned off, etc. It's from an 87 Xtra Cab PU at the Lot... and ASK REDETH how bright it is? lol.... )

THAT WILL COMPLETE my lighting for the 4Runner.... (BUT PLEASE, IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA WHERE I CAN GET THE LENS FOR IT?????... Dealer keeps telling me 29$!!!!!! )

.......I'm 100% pleased, now, with the amount of light my Gauge Lights put off, especially now with the new Dimmer in there..THEY ARE, I SWEAR, 2X AS BRIGHT as they were! Must have been my bad dimmer wasn't letting ALL the light in that was possible. I will get pics, soon, to show you what I mean... I can't IMAGINE anyone needing more than this... maybe it's defective and throwing out too much wattage, hahaha... Suddenly my dash melts! hehehe... jk. I think I just got SO USED TO the old way, how bad they were? Ya know? WOW! (I'll probably pull the white ones out that I have.... just to see how that looks in there. BUT, .... NOT gonna buy LED's for these, I just can't justify it now, KWIMean? I have white ones for the Clinometer, Climate and Gauges.. all from another year 4Runner... SAME bulbs.. but for some reason, they weren't green like mine... And BTW, MINE ARE ALL green.. climate control, clinometer, gauges, everything. Meh! lol.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh wow. That looks good Mark. Dude your back area is definitely gonna be set once you get that light working on top and on the other side. That's awesome man! Can't wait to see it wired and working.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 PM

yup lookin good, ebay bout the only other source i know of other than part out threads for the lense
with the interior window roll down switch an the light in the back you'll be ready for the bear who comes after yer food LOL

hey chef in all your trips to the pullapart yards happen to remember how much they want for the tire hoist up under the rear?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I added this to my 88 build so I will know where to find it when I get to it. Great job on the write up. There is not nearly enough light back there.

On your light cover, that is one thing I am always looking for. I have a small list that I am always on the look out for. Here might be few to help you as well. Also since I seem to fix parts trucks, I have a few others on the list you may not.

Dome light/cover, Antenna (I can fix the broken shaft),fuse box cover on drivers kick panel, jack and handle, roll bar pad, mudflap, CSI Time Switch, Relays (need more), Up/Down switch,SR5 Guage and sender, heater face plate, bumper end caps, rear pockets, passenger seat slider cable,dash pad, uncut stereo wiring/plugs,

Things I am going to start getting are lense screws and light bulbs. I spent $16 just to replace the bulbs to get my runner legal. I had cannabalized all of the ones I had. I try to get the Allen bolt that holds the injectors in and Timing Cover bolts everytime I get a chance. I need the inner fender screws and tabs and will start building up a box just for the plastic clips that goes in the dash to the valance brackets and other pieces.

Also I got on the list the chrome carriage bolts that go to the bumpers. This may sound like alot of things, but in the yards here, you are lucky to find one or two of the items I just listed.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:42 PM

Pick-Your-Part Tools... plus.......

I was asked which tools I take to the PYPart.... and figured I'd share how I go there prepared for pretty much anything(within reason).....

I usually start with this.... BY FAR one of the most valuable helpers to have in a yard that is quite often 'CART FREE'....

I Then bring the following in the following........

This sits on top of this Lined Milk Crate(ANOTHER great 'helper', lol.. Easy access, VERY durable... actually fit quite a bit in it and put the stuff in it in the bucket til I got to the register the other day).....

Set it all up like this and strap the crate to the dolly with a Truck Bungee Cord.........

I have a strap while I'm working that holds the bucket up above the Milk Crate so I can get to anything in either one without having to lift up the bucket to get to stuff..

LIST;

* Cordless Impact Wrench, Drill and Screwdriver// 48 Bit Ratcheting and telescopic Screwdriver kit, shorty right angled ratcheting screwdriver with bit set that fits in the handle, hard phillips and flathead and 24" Flathead and Phillips Hard screwdrivers and 20" HD 3/8" shaft with 1/2 tip 20* angled end prybar, andddd, ... 8 bit and extension HD Impact Driver// EVERY socket I could possibly need on foreign and domestic cars(mostly foreign), 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 in drive socket wrenches, palm socket wrench, shorty socket wrenches, 1/2 drive 26" Breaker and 3/8 drive 20" Breaker, plus many extensions and wobble extensions as well, and pivoting socket wrench fittings, etc.// Hack Saw shorty and regular// 3# Mini Sledge and Fiberglass hammer//Channel Locks, Pliers, 3 types Needle Nose, Snap Ring and Flat tab Clip pliers set, 2 different size Wire Cutters, Wire Stripper// MULTIPLE open-closed end wrenches including a full set of Ratcheting Powerbuild open-closed, allen wrench, 16 Sizes in one 2 Sided Ratcheting wrench(you turn the sockets that are built on to the end to whichever size you want, and it's VERY heavy duty), plenty of flare nut wrenches(for brakes, etc.) and a pipe wrench(for the IMPOSSIBLE to break loose stuff, lol)// And a measuring tape or 2....... I also USUALLY bring a Toyota Bottle Jack and handle, but was denied this last trip in to one of the yards, even if they mark it(Some Safety thing since LKQ took over Pick-Your-Part....YET, ONLY AT THIS PICK-YOUR-PART? hahaha * AND NEVER FORGET GLOVES! I should wear them more ... I often forget, and pay for it... BUT, another thing in there you can see.... GOJO ORANGE HAND CLEANER WITH PUMACE! I've NEVER regretted taking that... I can get into my pockets without destroying Jeans, grab the wallet to pay, etc. I've given a shot to many guys out there that were cool but just didn't have any. They have wash stations up front.... DISGUSTING! haha.... And NEVER any of the powder soap in them. REALLY cheap IMHO, wouldn't cost them 20$ a day to keep those filled!

Yesterday, at PYPart, I DID grab a couple things......

* An Alternator that appeared to be Brand New or close from a 90's Cadillac. I will be heading there for a buddy, maybe tomorrow, for one thing... in and out.. BUT, I will stop by the Caddy to be sure which alternator or at least try to pin it down...... I BELIEVE it's a 120Amp Alternator... Was a V8, NOT one of my favorite body styles... before the Northstar,... But not quite to "Jerry_92"s style GIGANTIC Caddy either... BUT BIG, no doubt. I would guess it's a 90, 4.5L V8??????????? hahaha.

Let's start with pics of the Alternator, shall we? (OH, yes, btw, I grabbed all the wiring on it(LOTS have had to order it... so I just figured why not? ).......

This LOOKS like the Cadillac that I got it from.... Probably one of my least favorite body styles EVER made by them.....

The motor... Slant V8 with the AC Drier on the left/Big Fluid Reservoir on the left as well, right next to the Alternator/left of it...........

Anyway, according to the number ON THE ALTERNATOR I HAVE... this appears to be what it is........

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk.../AC321412.html

ON a tip, .... I also grabbed the horn from it hahahaha... Again, ask Redeth if it's loud enough? hehehe. >>>

EDIT!!!;

Totally forgot I'd grabbed this..... not sure it's the prime thing for my 32's... But it had one on there... And it was off a 90 4Runner..... So I KNOW it'll fit, and for a spare 32 KM1.... for 20$, including the dismount of the toe up tire,... I think it was worth it to FINALLY have a KINDA matching Outlaw2 >>>

(It's a 15x7 and not as much of an offset.. But that's ok, it'll still work to get me out of a bind, ya know?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-08-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

You do go prepared with your set up. I had to rent a Cadillac in '98 when a girl ran into my truck and had it in the bodyshop. At the time it was the only rental that they had or a 12 passenger van, it was a nice rental. I did like the luxuries and ride, but I like trucks and muscle cars, not sure I will ever get to that style of ride.

On the Photobucket, underneath your log in, you can go back to the old page set up. I am slow to change and resist it when I can. On my laptop, I can single click and copy pics but not on my home computer.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:37 AM

1998 Dakota Leaf Springs w/Hangers from PYPart...

..... 28$ FOR THE PAIR! I can't have really lost on that one..... I have NO DOUBT, even if I can't use them... I can find someone who can(BUT I PLAN ON USING THEM IF THEY'LL WORK as Jason_TN and I were thinking.........

A/B Measurement 24/32"....... 1800# Capacity(I had mentioned the 97-98 Dakota springs were the heaviest... We got mixed up on that somehow ... The 86-94 are the higher rated at 2550#... Yet, while the older ones were rated higher..... these were WAY newer than the 86 that I'd found, which would have been 2550#... but GAWD KNOWS how tired they were(and the 86 had a hitch, the 98 did not)....This Dakota was CLEAN, and I mean IMMACULATE inside and out... Guy really took care of it...

So>>> (Toyota Stock is I THINK 1400# and A/B 20.5/27"............

Pics;

Shot of them in their entirety.........

A/B Measurements.......

End to end on the spring/along the arch......

Closer look at the Shackle Hanger......

Closer look at the Torx Bits that nearly had me stuck at the LAST BOLT! lol.....

On the other side... You can see I could have also held the tip of the bolt with a 7/16" Socket and then turned the nut with a open closed end 5/8" Wrench .......HEY, at least I'm humble enough to admit it, right? But for my first springs removal.. I think I did pretty good in under an hour for both sides while it's up on 4 pieces of pipe, teetering around a bit! hahaha... Here's the bolt ends...... OOPS, live and learn.......

OK;

SO HELP ME OUT HERE, GUYS! (especially you, Jason! hahahhaa).......

* The Toyota Springs end to end are 48", 20.5/27.5" measurements outward from the center(ISH) pin to the ends.

* The Dakota Springs end to end are 56", 24/32" outward from center pin to ends, Front/Rear...

* I'm not sure if I can go back 5", but I KNOW I can go forward 3.5".... It seems a LOT less dramatic than 63's, at 7" Shorter end to end, no? Plus, they're rated higher capacity, even not being the 86-94 ones... So they should handle the weight of the 4Runner(unlike the stock ones, which DID NOT handle it very well, haha).. And they should handle my heavy loads when camping.... And they would flex a lil more moving them lower on the frame up front and back a few inches.

* I've read LOTS about "Double Shackles" and more.... still have more reading to do. I just wondered if anyone would mind sharing their thoughts? I have someone who would help me in a heart beat! .... I just have to know.. Don't you think it's worth a try at 28$ plus whatever brackets or shackles I might need?(Plus, I think he could cut and fab those up as well... NO problem.

* I also already have 4" Lift Ranchos in the Back... (came off my buddies 85).. I WANT Bilsteins... I think my OMEmu's are just a LIL too tight for the street compared to the Bil's... I LIKE THEM, don't get me wrong.. But I just think the Bil's give a lil more 'comfy' ride. OFF ROAD? THESE OMEmu shocks for the lift I have are SICK!!!!! It's like riding in a Caddy when aired down even just to 30# and with the new suspension stuffs, etc. Just a lil 'jerky' on the street on speed bumps, etc. The edlebrocks were a lil softer.. But less travel, ya know?

* I'm pretty sure this person said they could come by here and do some measuring before I came over.... And that's for Bumpers, sliders and maybe some armor.. BUT, this would be something I'd like to do near first, maybe after sliders.

SO WHATCHA ALL THINK?

ps> THANKS, Toyo... I appreciated the comment on the ride... I'd read that too about the 63's.. And I'm hoping these might be a happy medium, ya know?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-09-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:56 AM

Hey Terry, ... sorry man, I had to just keep typing/copy and pasting, ya know?? hahaha. Didn't mean to be rude, I apologize. Thanks on all the input on EVERYTHING... And glad you like the stuff I'm trying to get done. I should be able to wrap up the lighting and maybe rear window switch tomorrow. I was going to pull the carpet first and try to figure this out... WTH IS THIS STAIN? It's on the bed, too... So I'm starting to worry it's a leak or something.. But it's NEVER WET! I don't get it....

Whatever it was/whatever is causing it... it's a perfect match up on the bed and inside... Almost as if it happens when the door is up/closed, ya know? I can't figure it out

I hear ya on the Pbucket... But for now, I'm over it, as long as the Flashplayer isn't crashing any more! DAYUM that was annoying. (Happened to me constantly toward the end of the last version).... I'll try it out and if it starts freezing up on me, NO MO! lol.

Dragon, .... thanks again, man. And I'm not sure what I did to warrant a thank you.. but you're welcome, sir!

Richard, ....thanks, buddy.... It's funny, you're one of the only ones who really sees my rig, or me yours, in person, ya know? Wishin you the best with all that's goin on with ya... Sorry bout the Car and all.. But hey, THANK GOD you still have a job that will allow you to fix it, right? ....... I know, it STILL SUX! lol.. But, hey, stuff breaks! lol. Is he gonna find out soon what's wrong with it?????????
Old 10-08-2012, 12:59 AM

PS> Terry, Dragon, Richard... I forgot to post another thing I got... Just added it in the last "Pick your part" post, lol. OUTLAW2! lol. It's not exactly what I wanted... but meh, ... for 20$? GOOD LUCK finding them anymore for that... GEESH it's gotten hard to find them. I GOT REALLY blessed with that set I have my 32's on! TRUST ME, I REALIZE IT and I'm grateful!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I

I just seen that lense! A matter of fact on Friday I seen the whole mirror part and grabbed it for you in Anaheim, but as I walking to the register I took the lense off and the whole thing was rusted out and didn't appear to work....so put it down!

You'll find one, it doesn't seem to be a rare item. Check the Corollas and base model camry's of that same generation of that mirror also...I thought I remembered seeing similar ones in there. The problem I've noticed including the one I have is that the plastic after 20 years is really faded out and fragile.

Last edited by Grego92; 10-08-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Mark / Grego I thought I'd tell you guys about the upcoming trip. My old neighbours from my parents house are gonna hit up Big Bear for an off-road trip sometime within the next couple of weeks. I think he said 2 weeks. I'd you guys are interestest you guys can come along. It should be fun.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey mark, the following is just my 2 cents. I think the dakota springs are a viable option to the chevy 63s "other wise I wouldnt have researched them so much" the extra streach in the rear can be attained or people would be unable to do the 63s or for that matter the trail gear springs, moveing the shackle pins back and longer shackles should get you there. I my self would stay away from the double shackle on a truck that is driven on the street at all, there is no way to keep the setup under control so hard breaking or high speed bumps would bring on a whole new OH CRAP factor, they are a great Idea for cheep flex on a trail only rig just not safe for DD. On a untested set up like this there are going to be unforseen issues that come there is really no way to know how much lift will come from them "tho I would assume less then the chevy or ford springs", no way of knowing the ride quality etc etc, the biggest unforseen is what exactly it will take to install them. My plan was to just test fit a set meening a lot of just tacking things in place just enough to hold weight, messure and repeat untill I got what I wanted or decided the whole idea was a bust at which point hopfully I hadnt alterred my frame to the point I couldnt go back ya know. I dont know if you have that option becouse its time consumming for an end result that may never happen, for this reason I wish I would have kept it under my hat untill I could have done it myself because now I feel like your doing my R and D for me. that said Im confident that they are a good option even with the work involved if I had time Id pick up a set and we could do it side by side so to speak, I will try and help you in any way I can just let me know.
love the rear dome light mod, Im a long ways off from starting somthing like that but will be getting to it somday great work.
I wish I had time to hit the yards like you have lately, you have made a lot of good scores for your self and others, Ive got a freind that hits the yard in nashville every few weeks, always finds lots of goodies to resale on CL.
hope all goes well for ya buddy just let me know if ya need anything.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:24 PM

Jason, I TOTALLY getcha... and like I said to you every time we spoke on this... "IN NO WAY do I hold you responsible or feel like a guinea pig... No worries"... Ya know?

The only thing that's different is that when I called, the "Year which is heaviest" part got mixed up... I couldn't remember but thought the 97-98 were the highest rating...... When in reality, they are second highest... 86-94 are the 2550# ones. ANYWAY.... I'm very grateful, Jason...., YOU HELPED ME WHILE ON THE ROAD, and I was probably being a total PITA! hahaha... However; I do want to make sure you and anyone else KNEW that the 97-98 thing was wrong, so that, well, since you're probably planning to 'buy them outright' from someone online..... Just make sure you print out the measurements and tell then you want 86-94 and not the 97-98 if that's what you're shooting for.

In a way, I'm HAPPY to experiment in this way (1800# rather than 2550#).... Because, while I think the stock 4Runner ones are 1400# rated.. They were clearly not enough. YET, 2550#, nearly 1000# more rating... I'm worried it might be too stiff, ya know? I know they're progressive, like the rest.. BUT, still.... Once you get any weight in there, I would think it'd still be pretty stiff(Thus, the likely few hundred pound higher rear weight of the 4Runner/compared to the stock Pick Up Bed of the Dakota, which is made to carry loads that are dumped/carried in there.... that should make for a nice comfy ride that is a LIL more capable of taking the extra weight of the 4Runner... yet also longer a lil bit for more flex and lift and probably a lil 'tighter' than the 63's would be, .............. RIGHT? Does any of that make any sense? Or am I lost? lol.

Far as getting the wrong year thing; That's what I get for not having a smart phone.. AND, meh, it would be EASY to grab some 86-94 Dakota Springs on a trade in at the PYPart, ... IF my theory is wrong and these end up being too soft or something, .... ya know?

THANKS A LOT for sharing all you did, Jason! And thanks for all the help you've always given on the phone or otherwise.. I'M GRATEFUL!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-09-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread