86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey! I have one of those chevy lights too! I was gonna put it the bed of my truck one day.....but I think I'll put it in the engine bay also.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Guys .... Thanks for stopping in

Richard... no problem man. I'm gonna head back soon and look for stuff for my younger daughters new Honda Accord Wagon(Not sure the year... I'll post a pic if PBucket will work today.... Not allowing me to upload any again... !!!!! )

Hey Toyo, ....Yeah, I have lots of alternative lights too... Including a compressor/power pack I have, a 4D Mag, magnetic and hooked goodyear Flourescent that plugs in lighters, a 12V-120V snap on drop light, etc. But I just like the idea of slapping a magnet on that thing and then having 12V/always ready light there. I think I prefer the smaller one for one reason.... IT'S SMALLER! lol.. I can fit it right on the firewall and NO problem shutting the hood, etc. Not many places to mount this larger one... BUT, I could use it in the back, mounted to the WINDOW WIPER COVER? Then maybe have another mount on the rear paneling for if the tops off? Lot's of possibilities... But you're right...there are LOTS of options without hard wiring something in. I hear ya. I COULD just wire the larger one to the rear on the Hitch or something... Couldn't hurt anything and wouldn't be in the way... PLUS, I have to rewire up my trailer wiring to the fusible link box(red and blue wires?)...... The PO cut them for some reason???????? So I'll probably do the BIG WIRE upgrade while in there. I'll have my 80A spare pop in ready to go and just swap them out/run it over to the battery and voila!

Hey Grego..... Sup man? Yeah, you could find a lot of use for it in the rear too, I would imagine... AND, it's up to 20 feet long! lol.... Could still use it from the front of the bed to the engine bay, I'm sure, ya know? I'm sure there's some LED's available for that type too, right? Hmmmmm.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:50 PM

Here's some pics I couldn't get uploaded to PBucket ..... TIL TODAY, when it suddenly worked again(think it was pbucket this time, lol).......

Some of Abbygail and Jay-Michael, my Grandchildren, and a some with my daughters as well.... Also, KINDA an ok pic of Haley's new CAR, ..... it's in REALLY good condition... just a lil clunk going into gear,...nothing dramatic, but wanna get on that too. SUPER clean interior and WOW are those seats comfy!!! ..........

Jay said, "Hey Grandpa.... Spider man beats da Batman!"......

Playing hide and seek...He's so funny, ... "Where's Jay-Michael?" he says, cuz he wants US to say that too, lol.......

Then, finally.... "GRANDPA, make Momma takes me to my house!" LOOK AT HOW TICKED he was, lol...hahahaa.....

My lil momma's......

Haley was very proud of her new to her Honda .....

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-15-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man just checking in, will have to come back and check out your video when I'm not on my phone. Looks like some quality time with the kiddos and grand kiddos.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:51 PM

Cool....yeah, hope you enjoy it. And btw, THANK YOU, JASON, for taking time on a moments notice, heading into the scales, to look something up on the net for me while I was in pick-your-part! !!!!!!!!!!!! Bummer it wasn't a "40310",... but instead was a "40340" ending, right? hahaha... Meh, I'll find one if it's meant to be... But again ..........

TANX, MISTA!

PS> Toyo... Thanks on the Charcoal canister notes.... Yeah, I guess I was just HOPING it was it... Would be an easy find, ya know? hahaha... I thought maybe it could be emissions related due to having 'hot start/idle down' issues, ya know? ....... Back to the drawing board I guess... Do you know why it does that though? Sounds like it's leaking from around the hose rail on the canister itself, ya know? Maybe from the hose? Brand new hose though... Fuel line is kinda slippy-sloppy on there... BUT, doesn't really change when I mess with that hose, lol, of COURSE, right? lol.... NO, only when I mess with the smaller hose that's fed vacuum by the Throttle body. .........<<<<<<<< Don't tell her I rolled my eyes... I have enough to do to her coming up that she's probably gonna rebel again! hahaha. JK... Thanks again, Toyo, appreciate the professional opinion
Old 09-15-2012, 03:27 PM

Just for notes....

I tried the GM Retractable light lens on the smaller engine bay light...... It does NOT fit IN the smaller one.... But it fits OVER it? haha... Seriously, it's pretty tight... but, could pop off on the right bump... Just not practical.

Also, what I noticed on the lens that was on the smaller one before I took it off(it was crumbling into dust... totally toast! lol)... It was opaque... not clear, like the GM retractable one.

So, people ARE saying that smaller one is from an Older Ford or GM? Or not sure?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your granddaughter has the same eyes as her mother. looked like a great day man.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:53 PM

Hey Richard... yep, it sure was! Thanks, brudda.... Love my girls and G-Kids! Any time I can be in the same spot with all 4 of them... good day! Not easy, we're all very busy... Just gotta MAKE it happen, ya know? I mean.... can't EVEN know if we'll make it through the night, really... let alone the next day. Every breath is precious, my friend... every one.. So I REALLY try to not put off the 'personal' things, like spending ANY time I can get with my grown kids.........rebuilding crumbling 'family' bridges, etc., .... know what I mean??
Old 09-16-2012, 02:11 AM

Cute family! Ur granddaughter is so cute... almost wish my toddler would get a little older so i would want another one lol

Last edited by racerflea; 09-16-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
All of the girls have your facial features. Nice looking set of girls. Probably seems l yesterday they were little as well. Time flyssss.

Next time I am in the bone yard, I will be hitting the Chevy row. I like to check out different brands anyways just to see if they have a option that I could easily installl. Mounting by the wiper cover could be a great idea. Would like to see that.

I will have to check your video on my laptop, home PC islowww.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:00 PM

Oh flea.... WHAT A CUTIE! Miss those days.... And yet, now I get to enjoy them all over again..... But don't have to raise them!!!! HAHAHAHA..... Not that I would HESITATE if something happened/I was needed to do so. But it's nice!

Terry, ... yep! And thanks..... I think... Maybe having my features isn't such a good thing, hahaha.. BUT, hey, my girls are both pretty/both working hard to get back into shape/both motivated to BE TOTALLY independent!... <<<< The latter being the MOST REWARDING, obviously... Aside from the MOST important... THEY'RE ALL HEALTHY!

Yeah, the yards are ADDICTING! I found an 83 Cressida last time out... But Jason looked it up and it would take some finagling to make it work in place of my 22RE AFM, ya know? So I keep hunting for an 82 Supra or Cressida Plug and Play...

I also want to find out EXACTLY WHAT YEARS/MODELS Ford F150's or Chevy Springs I can take to make my leaf pack mod work... Or even swap em out and have my buddy weld em in, ya know? That's one thing I'm NOT a purist on, relating to Toyota..... TERRIBLY flawed leaf pack! hahaha.... But hey, after 20-25 years, I guess NOT SO flawed... But really, it's more about 'MORE FLEX' and more ability to not get kidney damage on the parking lot bumps! hahaha. The sucky thing is the 'give and take'... Cuz on the 'GIVE' end...these zuks ROCK off road so far! They've been so soft and flex just fine, etc. (reminds me to post that video of the rear end flexing with NO shift in the chassis/VERY decent amount of flex, etc.)....

But bottom line... i dont' think they can ever be as good as a VERY QUALITY Leaf Pack or Mod of equal thought and quality going into it... WHATEVER, you KWIMean! lol.... Probably need new hangers/longer, and shackles to move things, etc. IF I go longer... BUT, if I can just add a larger Chevy leaf to my pack... Bolt it back up... couldn't that work????????????????????????? HEHEHE. Lots of "?"s because I hope to hear back from ANYONE on that! lol. I'll look it up too.. not being lazy... Just seems like I keep having to work or run errands when I wanna look into it... Then my tired brain just forgets! hahahaha.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Yeah, .... the guy did a FANTASTIC job, right? What a great write up.... really brought light to things that there are plenty of threads on...but ... I don't know, he just made it easy to grasp? Anyway,.... SOME day! lol. Trying to think of a material I can use to make that molding to mount the light/mirror...... And while I'm not crazy about the spacer... I've always been ok at 'making things look like they belong there'... if I spend enough time on it, ya know? I think it's a GREAT idea and would REALLY light up the whole cab, really..(doing just a couple of his ideas.... let alone all of em.

Yep, couple people mentioned they were from Chevy's, .... different years. AND I FOUND A COUPLE SECOND Gen Retractable Engine Bay/Work Lights from a early 90's Suburban and a late 80's one as well. I found one for Richard too(redeth).... I'm loading up a video of that... BUT, might take a while, ya know? The problem with the retractable one? Placement... It's A FANTASTIC Idea... but it's big... not really a GREAT place to mount it in a 22RE engine bay... let alone in a 3.0 engine bay, ya know? BUT, I have a couple ideas... And one would include fixing the missing magnet piece on the light portion that extends... that way it could be stuck on anything! Or just sat on the ground....whatever, ya know? The video is at 36 minutes remaining... And I showed some other great finds from that trip to "pick-your-part", including a VERY NICE, almost new condition Lemans 31x10.50x15 tire for my spare that's under there now(which is a 235x75x15? Whatever stock is... That tire's brand new... but it's not a 31, and I have a locker.. so if I DON"T HAVE to swap them around if I get a flat... WHY WOULD I? RIGHT? LOL.
Hey Chef looking at bbrideau's naked interior pics it looks like you should be able to cut out a pair of square holes to fit the buckets on the map lights. just use longer crews to temp. mount the light and trace the buckets. then drill the corners and dremel/cut off wheel the rest and you're happy... just use the round holes and check your clearances first.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

I AM NOT READY FOR MY CLOSE UP MR. DE MILLE!

good looking kids... love that one where the little one is looking at your steak with a facial expression some where between ewwww and I can't believe grampa is going to eat all that... lol

Last edited by aviator; 09-17-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
It's always nice to be with family, with all our busy lives. It makes it more special. That is a great looking family Mark. I bet your cooking is better though.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Jason found a thread some where about different leaf springs on all different models. Next time I talk to him, I will mention it and see if he still knows where it is at. I am not a purist when it comes to things like that as well. If it makes it that much more enjoyable I will do it. I am going to look at the Jeep springs when I do the Zuk mod on my 86 as it is saggy. 92 Toy and Smeddy2 has some good options as well.

I know there is a thread or two about other AFMs that are interchangeable. Some rewiring involved but apparently not to bad. I just stumbled into mine. I seen it in the yard and really didnt think it was an 82. I wont install it until I get it on the road and make sure I dont have any bugs to work out. Ran into that in the past trying to upgrade an engine (350 Chevy) and then it doesnt run right and you dont know where to start at.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:21 PM

Sup mark! Got a quick question for you and all of you guys and girls.

My bro-inlaw 87 runner wont go pass 45 miles after the engine warms up.

checked the cat for plug..pass
Changed spark plugs and wires..
Threw a code..o2 sensor changed it

But im thinking its a MAF (mayb..TPS)

But yeah.. Hahhaanyone got any thoughts?

BTW!!!
Super lovely family you got there!!

Last edited by vang_22re; 09-17-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
Hey Chef looking at bbrideau's naked interior pics it looks like you should be able to cut out a pair of square holes to fit the buckets on the map lights. just use longer crews to temp. mount the light and trace the buckets. then drill the corners and dremel/cut off wheel the rest and you're happy... just use the round holes and check your clearances first.

good looking kids... love that one where the little one is looking at your steak with a facial expression some where between ewwww and I can't believe grampa is going to eat all that... lol
Interesting.... you think without a spacer it would work? That's whatcha mean, as I'm thinking it out visually in my boiled cabbage basket on my shoulders! hahaha... Thanks... OH< btw... not steak.. Full rack of Baby Backs

HAHAHAH! That totally cracked me up! And, ....here's partly why! When I was reading that, ...guess what was on in the background? >>>>

Originally Posted by ksti
It's always nice to be with family, with all our busy lives. It makes it more special. That is a great looking family Mark. I bet your cooking is better though.
THANKS, MAN! And, ....yeah, maybe my cooking is a lil more 'personal'... But it's GREAT Baby Backs at this place, Hofs Hut.... Not everything is great there.. .but they rotisserie chickens and baby backs right in the front waiting area to get you drooling! lol... VERY decent ribs.... I know of a few better places... but consistently good, and NO problem when you say, "Hey, lil dry, ... try another rack?"... "NOOOO PROBLEM, sir,.... coming right up"... Lucilles is pretty decent as well! PLUS, THEY HAVE BEEF RIBS, MY FAV! lol... But really?>>>> I get props from Hofs Hut for doing work with their Corporate Kitchens, ...... can't say more than that, honestly. They would SUE ME! lol. GREAT desserts, too... I've got pics of that drool inspiring display in the front, too! lol. I'll find them. I do GREAT Baby Backs... but to sit down and order them and have them fresh out the post-rotisserie holding bay, in 10 minutes? YEAH, sometimes that's WAY better than mine, if you KWIMean? lol. Thanks again, really nice of you to say about the fam

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Jason found a thread some where about different leaf springs on all different models. Next time I talk to him, I will mention it and see if he still knows where it is at. I am not a purist when it comes to things like that as well. If it makes it that much more enjoyable I will do it. I am going to look at the Jeep springs when I do the Zuk mod on my 86 as it is saggy. 92 Toy and Smeddy2 has some good options as well.

I know there is a thread or two about other AFMs that are interchangeable. Some rewiring involved but apparently not to bad. I just stumbled into mine. I seen it in the yard and really didnt think it was an 82. I wont install it until I get it on the road and make sure I dont have any bugs to work out. Ran into that in the past trying to upgrade an engine (350 Chevy) and then it doesnt run right and you dont know where to start at.
Thanks, man! Ok,.... well, JASONNNNNNNNN OF TENNESSEE?????????????????? ... Let's see if he heard it, eh? .....

Yeah, (regarding the AFM)... Jason was on the phone with me while there(obviously you probably know that, lol)... I was over the hood of a VERY clean 83 Cressida(my fav year bodies are 82-84--??? Maybe 81 is one of them too.. I don't think so for some reason).... Anyway, and he was reading off lots.... Saying, "some are interchangeable without too much drama... but the wiring pins/contacts inside have to be swapped out... The 82 is the ONLY direct 'BOLT IN' that I know of"............. So I passed. 47$ for it, and it was IN FLAWLESS condition, this motor. They had an 89 too, just up the way...... 7MGE motor, VERY clean, hardly any leaks... I'm starting to REALLY get the itch to do a swap... just think that's a bit of a Guzzler out of the 3(..... 3RZ, 7MGE/GTE or 1UZ ........ Wonder on a 2JZTT... think it would succubus gas on me? hahahaha).....

I could have bought one last Winter... But the guy never answered me... Then said, "OH, yeah, sorry.... someone I know wanted it, came by picked it up.... I'll update"... AFTER he'd already answered me and said, "I'll letcha have it.. you're first in line... Lemme wrap up some things on the road here and I'll be home soon"... GRRRRRRR! lol. Not a huge deal... I should be more concerned with my 'idling down at hot restarts', ya know?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Chef, not that I could be much help with your idle issue, but it looks like we won't get to meet up this trip down for me. We go home tomorrow after our full 14 day tour(so surprised we actually stayed the full tour, and not just cause the fire has been wound down for the last few days. Crew drama, yay!), but I'll make it down here one of these days this winter, hopefully. I'd like to see what the Angeles or other areas down here have for wheeling, if only to experience it once. Anyway, catch ya later!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have plans on doing the Mercedes diesel swap, but am open to any options on motors. I have even been thinking of regearing and larger tires, but dont think that would get me into better mileage so a swap is probably what it will take. One day gas will be higher then what it is and am trying to head that problem off as soon as I can. I would really like to avoid a motor swap though.

I am guessing you are talking about CL. That is about a 25% chance for me on getting parts on it.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

hahahaha I remember that geico commercial... is it scary, creepy that I know a few girls like that, that I've seen around the hood I mean... not personally...

yeah absolutely I think the lights would fit without a spacer provided there is enough depth between the inner frame and outer skin... I'm not worried about the back edge IK there will be enough room there it's the front [leading] edge closest to the windshield that concerns me...
Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Well Chef, not that I could be much help with your idle issue, but it looks like we won't get to meet up this trip down for me. We go home tomorrow after our full 14 day tour(so surprised we actually stayed the full tour, and not just cause the fire has been wound down for the last few days. Crew drama, yay!), but I'll make it down here one of these days this winter, hopefully. I'd like to see what the Angeles or other areas down here have for wheeling, if only to experience it once. Anyway, catch ya later!
OH HOLY CRAPOLISMACKEREL!!!!!! DANGIT! I have to be honest... My brain is SO FRIED,.... Ok; First, THAT DAY you sent the first one... what was it, A WEEK AGO??????..... I thought, "OH MAN, I have to get out there.... has to be a way!".... And I TOTALLY would have and intended to.......... THEN, ....... 'TMI/TM2DO/2FREAKINBADMYBRAINAINTWORKING!' set in and within hours... I COMPLETELY forgot, Jonny! Would have loved to have met up if even just for lunch and a story swap session(You could tell me of all the INSANE accidents and emergency sitch's you've handled..... I could tell you how many I was in that you'd probably have had handled, personally, if you were "South Bay Rescue!" hahahaha..... Anyway, you KWIMean... I'M SORRY, Jonny... Please don't think I intentionally brushed you off.. Totally not like me to flake. And yes, it's not like we're a couple or something, I know! ..... I just feel bad. I REALLY CAN'T WAIT to get up to your area again, too... So maybe that'll happen before you're back, ya know?

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have plans on doing the Mercedes diesel swap, but am open to any options on motors. I have even been thinking of regearing and larger tires, but dont think that would get me into better mileage so a swap is probably what it will take. One day gas will be higher then what it is and am trying to head that problem off as soon as I can. I would really like to avoid a motor swap though.

I am guessing you are talking about CL. That is about a 25% chance for me on getting parts on it.
I know, man.... It's tough, the Gas GOUGING... I've kept driving to a minimum... BUT, ... alas, I HAVE RESPONSIBILITIES! lol... And hey, even at 30mpg's.... IT WOULD STILL HURT, and the bottom line is, ......... it's TOTALLY unnecessary! Anyway.... I personally think that a 3RZ with mods would REALLY help you out..... I keep hearing rumors that diesel will go up MORE than ANOTHER 10% difference from Gasoline in the next few months..... And remember, the guys with that mod getting 30+MPG's????? ..... MOST of them that I've seen are 1st Gen PU's... LOTS lighter than our Runners, ya know? Still, if you could add even 8MPG's it would be worth considering..... MAYBE. DIY'er as cheaply/quality as possible guy you are or not... it's NOT a super cheap swap, right? Plus there's a few dealios regarding inspection and Ref's pleasing, etc., that has to come thereafter. NOT saying a 3RZ would be much better.... or better at all, in fact. BUT, ....... My buddy is getting 28mpg's all day long with his on the hwy... 22-23 City, 1st Gen Runner with 33's and 4:10's...... He's also done some mods(getting it lighter and engine-wise).... So I'm not sure how common that is... But he's HONEST, and he would NEVER inflate his mileage to buffer his work! lol.

STILL... that IS seeming to be a tried and true 'SWAP' that is getting decent reviews by those whom enjoy it, right? PERSONALLY.... not that I could afford it... I think RBX is on the best path toward "Longest reliability/most power/best mileage" in the long run, weighing out the cost/effort involved and investment in general. There's a guy on the post your pics thread rolling a 1KZDTE....LMNOPQRSTUV????.... or whatever right now, lol.... He LOVES the power and mileage.... Look over the thread, you'll see him. 2nd Gen 4Runner, I believe?

Originally Posted by aviator
hahahaha I remember that geico commercial... is it scary, creepy that I know a few girls like that, that I've seen around the hood I mean... not personally...

yeah absolutely I think the lights would fit without a spacer provided there is enough depth between the inner frame and outer skin... I'm not worried about the back edge IK there will be enough room there it's the front [leading] edge closest to the windshield that concerns me...
YEAH, ..concerns me too! lol.... Maybe I should have asked him to take dimensional measurements, ya know? Sorry guys.... But hey, he did get pics, and THANKS FOR THAT, B!!!!

The other bothersome aspect, Paul? ..... I HAVE A MAPLIGHT already! lol.... NO, it's not that bad, ....in fact, it works JUST FINE for reading... BUT, why not 'have more light if you can', right? However, therein is another concern.......... WHAT ABOUT THE HOLE where my old map light was? hahaha... I didn't even think of that until today. Also, you'll laugh... but I REALLY like some of the van style overhead thingy's... They have compartments, etc... Some of them dont recess into the ceiling much at all! BUT, .... one huge problem for me... I HAVE A MOON ROOF! hahaha... "Hey, you have t-tops! " hahahaha....

I'll figure something out...> i have another post, TONIGHT, regarding 'LIGHTHING'..... I'll just say this... "I HATE THIS HUNT FOR LED POSSIBLES!!!!!!!" hahaha... I'll expound upon that, later!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-18-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread