86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So as promised i took pictures of my naked trucks cab (my trucks such a whore -shakes head-) hope it helps for you figuring out how to do the 2nd gen map light. I will get you the pics up in the morning had to let the camera charge before uploading to the pc and i will toss in some pictures of the increasingly rare 84 toyota pickup with the 2L diesel for ya too Chef!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, buddy.... should be helpful for sure!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I wouldnt mind adding a 3rd brake light somewhere. Do everything to keep from having to deal with insurance on covering any damage. I seen where abe got his runner stolen and insurance will more then likely just go by book value. One reason I suggested to someone on a PM to have a build thread so as they have some kind of proof of what all went into their build and what was spent. Even if insurance would cover it, finding a tailgate could be difficult. I want to do everything possible to keep my trucks out of any damage. Misty wants some of those LEDs inbetween the bumper and tailgate for a 3rd brake light. Wouldnt go the full length of the back end, but enough to draw attention that you are stopping. It is on the list, just dont know when I will get to it.

That walking in the yards with water everywhere is a pain.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

bbrideau..I hear you on POs hack jobs. My 86 Runner with a 2nd chance should of been named "There is hope for yours", a PO of mine hacked the wiring for tail lights, and did a poor job on a timing chain replacement. Then it was sold where the tranny was used out of it, sold again and used for parts for the front end and interior parts. I then got it and used it for parts for my 88 Runner. Used the interior,gas tank, tailgate and other numerous parts. While it sat, I had a mouse friend make it his home and he did a lot of damage. Basically all I had was a good frame and body.

The wiring in these is actually set up where it seperates in different areas, that if you come across a good harness for the back end, it is easily replaced and pulling the interior out isnt a bad job at all. If you want some pics of the harness that runs down the sides, just let me know. I am getting ready to disassemble my truck for painting and will have good access to any areas that you might want to see.

On my 88 Runner build on page 8 on post 185-187 is alot of info to the tail gate. It is not nearly as bad to work on as you might think. Any questions that come up feel free to ask.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:31 AM

Yeah, the 3rd Brake isn't a bad idea, I guess... Just don't know how it would look. Plus, running the wiring? Meh! lol... But inside the interior as a cargo light with the red portion dremmel-cut out? Might be kinda cool, no? lol... Thing is, they make WAY better LED's now than they did in 95 or whenever the S10 blazer I got it off of was made.... So I don't know how bright they'd be without the red lens.... Maybe not much brighter than with it? lol. Plus, I don't know how wide of range of light they'd have/angle. So, I think the Festoon Mercedes one I got is still top on my list. don't think another 2nd Gen 4Runner map light in the back would be such a bad idea either... I mean, it's got 2- 30mm festoons in it, provides plenty of light... And it's FLAT, so it could mount fairly easily to a number of things, including the wiper motor cover. It also has a 'DOOR' feature... If I really wanted to get anal I could wire it somehow into the front dome, maybe.... Doubtful, just sayin. lol....

Took a couple pics of the girl today.. Just for fun.........

THEN, i took this, because my buddy had a HYPO Maverick just like this... Ford Sunburst Red-Orange with black lines it was, too! lol... This thing sounded SICK! Wish I had the video going... Actually thought of rustED(being a Fordyotaticulitus Survivor and all ), second I saw it... So dug for the camera and snapped a pic.........

Old 09-12-2012, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

HYPO Maverick?!... nice looking old car... makes me feel old 'cause I remember them when they were new... never heard of a HYPO version though...

very clean truck Mark... what's with the brake light up front? you thinking of going for a KITT look? lol

for a 3rd brake rear take a look at those LED strips that mount under the tailgate... I'll think of the name after I post this... they have some that work as brake/turn/reverse that look very cool and the smaller model might fit...
Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I remember them setting on the newer used carlots. That one is a 73 or older as 74 they had the wider, collsion bumpers. A friend of mine had the Mercury clone which was the Comet and a 390 in it. Dangreous,hehehe, fun times. I was a Ford fan when most were Chevy and the Dodge guys really got heck.

I like them all now. Would like to get into the older cars again someday. 68 is when they started installing seat belts and side marker lights. I know the 50s and 60s fairly well also.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
HYPO Maverick?!... nice looking old car... makes me feel old 'cause I remember them when they were new... never heard of a HYPO version though...

very clean truck Mark... what's with the brake light up front? you thinking of going for a KITT look? lol

for a 3rd brake rear take a look at those LED strips that mount under the tailgate... I'll think of the name after I post this... they have some that work as brake/turn/reverse that look very cool and the smaller model might fit...
i've seen those led brake strips on ford pickups. im not to much of a fan of them but they definitely serve their purposes.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 AM

i KNEW that would start some talk, lol.... Anyway, hers was before the stripe went UP at the end, before it said "302 V8"... And some said "Grabber" on them.......

Newer stripe, lol....

I'll try to get this back on track with some updates, soon, bruddas.... Just a bit busy.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 AM

OH, and I know the "COMET CAPRI 390 GTA" very well, Terry... Had one.... A 66...

And the 66GT/K I've shown too... but that's enough, lol....
Old 09-12-2012, 12:04 PM

alright so here is the pics of the naked interior, don't mind the monster energy drink stickers and the British Columbia sticker ha ha. and as promised i will throw some up of the 84 diesel too. hope the interior one gives you a bit of an idea of the bare cab if you need any more up close or more detailed photos let me know because i don't believe I'm putting the interior in, haven't decided

will have to post a picture of the three yotas crawling around the wifes civic for you guys ha ha

just noticed you can see my sexy pink camera in one of those pictures

Last edited by bbrideau; 09-12-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 PM

ahhh, it IS the green one that's the diesel... On your page, I couldn't see the green paint, only the red engine bay.... threw me off, lol. She's a lucky gal.... nice find!

Thanks for the pics, man... very helpful.... WOW, it's definitely very different. The 2nd Gen has 2 holes, below where the bulbs are(But the whole assembly is flat... So I guess it would have to be self tapping screws to mount the 2nd Gen map light fixture in the first gens?)

Appreciate it.... Keep up the good work, B!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:37 PM

Glad i could help! Just wish i could figure out my electrical problem.... i hate electrical ˟˟˟˟. I don't want to have to start swapping out things that "could" be wrong. You don't learn properly from that.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:03 PM

OK< found the thread I KNEW I'd seen days ago......

http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota...n-project.html
Old 09-12-2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
OK< found the thread I KNEW I'd seen days ago......

http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota...n-project.html

GOGOGO 2nd gen maplight mod!
Old 09-12-2012, 11:21 PM

didn't notice if anyone told you but yes those lights like the one you got came on 1980s and 90s fords and 90s Chevy mostly all in the bigger trucks. i love those lights it always makes life better when you cant find your flashlight but your stuck in BFN with a 22re 3 cylinder all of the sudden.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by bbrideau
GOGOGO 2nd gen maplight mod!
Yeah, .... the guy did a FANTASTIC job, right? What a great write up.... really brought light to things that there are plenty of threads on...but ... I don't know, he just made it easy to grasp? Anyway,.... SOME day! lol. Trying to think of a material I can use to make that molding to mount the light/mirror...... And while I'm not crazy about the spacer... I've always been ok at 'making things look like they belong there'... if I spend enough time on it, ya know? I think it's a GREAT idea and would REALLY light up the whole cab, really..(doing just a couple of his ideas.... let alone all of em.

Originally Posted by nvtoyota
didn't notice if anyone told you but yes those lights like the one you got came on 1980s and 90s fords and 90s Chevy mostly all in the bigger trucks. i love those lights it always makes life better when you cant find your flashlight but your stuck in BFN with a 22re 3 cylinder all of the sudden.
Yep, couple people mentioned they were from Chevy's, .... different years. AND I FOUND A COUPLE SECOND Gen Retractable Engine Bay/Work Lights from a early 90's Suburban and a late 80's one as well. I found one for Richard too(redeth).... I'm loading up a video of that... BUT, might take a while, ya know? The problem with the retractable one? Placement... It's A FANTASTIC Idea... but it's big... not really a GREAT place to mount it in a 22RE engine bay... let alone in a 3.0 engine bay, ya know? BUT, I have a couple ideas... And one would include fixing the missing magnet piece on the light portion that extends... that way it could be stuck on anything! Or just sat on the ground....whatever, ya know? The video is at 36 minutes remaining... And I showed some other great finds from that trip to "pick-your-part", including a VERY NICE, almost new condition Lemans 31x10.50x15 tire for my spare that's under there now(which is a 235x75x15? Whatever stock is... That tire's brand new... but it's not a 31, and I have a locker.. so if I DON"T HAVE to swap them around if I get a flat... WHY WOULD I? RIGHT? LOL.

Got a rear wiper arm for it too.... mine is a bit bent, ..... and WOW, they do NOT take new blades very easily. Anyway, the 2nd Gen 4runner wiper blade arm is EXACTLY the same thing... mounting wise and all. I also grabbed a front wiper arm pair of brackets for mounting and the tiny screws..... I want to go back to OEM, and I lost the lil brackets(they fell behind something lol).
Old 09-15-2012, 01:19 AM

OK, ..........

So, I've uploaded the video that demonstrates the GM Extendable(15-20ft?) Engine Bay light... that is also, OBVIOUSLY, retractable, lol. The video is working fine.....BUT, it's 13 or so minutes long.(If you don't wanna check out the cool retractable light, etc.... maybe just listen to 7:00 to around 7:20? While I'm standing there, motor having sat for 3-4 hours... the Charcoal Canister starts hissing or whatever you'd call it! lol)... I was gonna edit it, ....but meh, lol. First, it's sharing the 2 engine lights... A couple other things as well... then a tire I got, some other goodies I've pillaged at the PYPart recently... and all in all, I think I've SCORED over the last few weeks. Which always feels good when you're trying to watch the pennies and still keep doing stuff to the rig, yeah?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool light. i prefer rechargeable flashlights. i usually have two plus my iphone with its led.
i carry a streamlight stinger. a cigarette plugin led flashlight.
anyways that hissing noise could be normal. i wouldnt worry about it unless its leaking to atmosphere. i know the newer system (todays stuff), the evap canister will make noise time to time because they have a pump.

the plugin one is cool. small. very bright and its charged all the time
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-15-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice video mark. I especially love the part where you got interrupted by the Charcoal Canister. lol BTW Thanks again for finding me one of those engine light things. works great. Now i got 3 lights i can use. My big LED light with a hook, the one you found me that you just made a video on, My Dual LED phone light, and my tire compressor also has a light on it. So now we are all set for off road trips. lol

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread