86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:52 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ok, .. soooooooooo, lol.........

Said I would get a before and after pic of 'COVERED IN MUD' AND then....... 'CLEAN', lol... Honestly, this mud is a PITA, lol... And it was all up in the lips of the fenders, rear bumper, front stuff's, etc., etc... As I expected, lol. S'all good, but took a bit of time and left me, on the ground, with around 100# of what again became 'MUD', when wet, lol... Got the driveway hosed off, .....then pulled her back in her slot, haha... BTW, ... I haven't done the engine, so THAT should be fun.......

Before;

Shot next to my Brother In Law's Taco 4WD... SICK truck, love it! >>>

After;

Couple more random pics...... Found this bumper sticker that my a Car Insurance Solicitor sent me in a "we want your business" mailer... Pretty funny bumper sticker, simple too! lol>>>

Made Dinner tonight for the Parents.. It was a Purple Cauliflower and Broccoli, Sliced Sweet Tater from my garden(I prefer the skin on... but I just snapped a shot of the Stepdad's plate(He can't eat the skin anymore) and Fresh/Wild Sockeye Salmon, marinated in Lemon Zest and Reduction of same Juice(so it's not so acidic), garlic and shallots, seasoned lightly with fresh cracked black pepper, sea salt and paprika, sauted in Brown Butter and deglazed with a fresh squeezed tangerello from my yard.... Salmon is one of my favorites... I can eat it as often as Chicken! hahaha...

Old 09-03-2012, 12:01 AM

Wow, thanks, Terry! Awesome... I'm not tackling this anytime VERY soon.. But in a few things I'd like to do, it'd be helpful to have that set up for the work/fixes! Appreciate it, buddy.. you DA MAN! lol.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow! i missed out a hell of alot of typing lol.
So yea To reply to everything you and everyone else said. HELL YES WE HAD A BLAST AND ENJOYED YOUR COOKING VERY MUCH! I've never had better shrimp or chicken brest in my entire life. You are da bomb when it comes to cooking. BTW what he didnt mention in that food picture was the Strawberry, rasberry, and blueberry Shortcake we had for dessert. YUM! THANKS SO MUCH MARK. And im Glad you were able to come along. It was literally a last minute thing and glad you were able to make it. I'm surprised you prepped that food so quickly in time for saturday.

Hey toyo, Chef pretty much got the explanation for me being in low covered. The first time we went up that same hill and i tried in 4H i dug myself in a whole and when i tried again my truck spun out and turned sideways with the rear facing the downhill part. it was really scary. Not to mention the scattered powerder dirt/sand parts where your truck just sinks in. Its scary and, like mark said, dangerous. So thats the reason why i was in 4wd Low. But i do agree with you i was reving it a bit too much i should have at least changed gears once more both up that hill and in the mud pit.

Mark, I am still down for another trip. I say we get another trip going in another month or month and a half or so. We can get Mark from san gabriel, and jmc, and whoever else you know from SoCal, maybe blakefog if he wants to come along. I'll see if my offroad buddies wanna come along; i know they usually work saturdays so i'd have to give them a heads up way ahead of time.

About the other videos i took. Dude there is so much moving around and bumpiness and as you know my GF doesnt have the steadiest hand when it comes to recording so they look really bad. Bad to the point i was getting really bad motionsickness watching all the videos lol. So what im gonna do is just edit out all the "Non-action parts" where im just following you. And put together all the climbing parts, mudding, and crawling parts all into one video. I havent gotten to it yet but i will later today i promise. Btw my girl accidentally deleted a few pix so i only have a few. but ill post them in a bit. Glad you got some of my truck and a video
Old 09-03-2012, 06:40 AM

Heres the pix of the place where you had to pull me out. lol
Toyo this is exactly what i mean by why i was in 4wd low in the stuff Mark posted. In this video i was going up this trail in 4H which seemed to be very solid. Till i hit a soft patch of the powder dirt and my rear left tire sunk in off the hill. It wasnt a huge hill, maybe only about 5-6ft tall but the angle i was caught in was enough to flip me over sideways on my left side. So for alot of the stuff we did after this situation on this trip i used 4L. Anyway here are the pix of when my truck got stuck.

Only the 2 right tires were able to stay on the trail.

I think the only reason why my truck stayed put after getting off the trail was because i dug myself into a hole on the side of that hill lol

Here we are tieing your rope from your truck to mine.

Heres when your rear bottomed out on the left. Cant really tell, but here your left tire wasnt even touching the floor.

Here we are doing the "tough guy" pose lol jk

Mark prepping his delicious meal. and my girlfriend, Faby, kicking in on the chair.

After the mud pit

I'll try to edit the "action" parts of the videos all into one short video rather than watching a bunch of run on video footage of me just following behind you later today.
I brought my laptop today and there shouldnt be anybody coming in at all, so i should have time to do it here at work if not after.

Last edited by Redeth005; 09-03-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW your truck is looking great! Looks like a nice area to go for a Drive.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:50 AM

Looks like you guys had a great time, I just got back from camping with my Bro and doing some wheeling. lots of fun. You could air down to about 15lbs for better traction. i was at 12lbs all weekend. I have a co2 tank to air up and it has been great.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:00 AM

I'm not sure what Mark was aired down to. But I dropped down to 25psi and it made such a difference. I would have gone lower but I wanted to be able to still ride on the hwy in between offroad spots. So I kept it at that pressure.

Last edited by Redeth005; 09-03-2012 at 08:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-03-2012, 08:34 AM

it makes the ride alot smoother too! I usually go down to at least 15lbs but if you are driving inbetween spots then yea i can see your not wanting to go too low. Nice rig!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
it makes the ride alot smoother too! I usually go down to at least 15lbs but if you are driving inbetween spots then yea i can see your not wanting to go too low. Nice rig!
Thank you very much. Definitely not as nice as Chefyota's but it will get there with time. You have a pretty sweet rig yourself. love white rigs. Ive only been working on mine for about 7 months now. And i have a lift, sas, 4.88 gears front and rear lockers, 35's front and rear bumpers w/ tire carrier, sliders, roof rack and internal roll cage All in the near future plans. Gonna get started on my SAS, lift gears/lockers by the end of this year. will post the whole progress on my build. but till then i'll enjoy wheeling IFS. Wanna see the difference before and after performance ya know.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

Chef, of course, post up the recipes. I have a nice little folder for them. One of these days I'll get brave enough to try one.

Really, you need a recipe thread.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:56 AM

Nice runner chef i was going to try to read ur entire thred but 187 pages is just a little much but ill be abke to keep ip now atleast lol
Old 09-03-2012, 02:15 PM

Richard, WAS A VERY FUN DAY, INDEED! Glad if I could help make it more enjoyable... And my pleasure to serve you guys a meal, honestly... Like I said, .... "The guys and gals i wanna BATHE with the food instead of feed? Those that are ENTITLED or just have that attitude of, 'HEY, the Chef's here... he can cook!'...." .... Like I wouldn't ask a mover to help me move on his day off if I could help it... and I CERTAINLY wouldn't put it to him as though "Hey, that's what you do, you're good at it, and I'm SURE you love doing this on your day off simply cuz you're good at it!"..... Thing is, with my work, I LOVE IT, ... IF the person is kind/interested/appreciative....it is VERY MUCH fun for me, like the day I started, ya know? >>> You guys WERE SERIOUSLY above and beyond on all three... Very much made my day in part to prepare and cook for ya.

Far as 'prepping'... Very simple.... Get two Ziploc Bags, open them, pierce chicken breasts a bit, toss in a bowl; fine dice Garlic, FINE diced Onion or Shallots, Fresh herbs or dry(cilantro, basil and oregano in this case, mostly cilantro), small amount of Coriander(cilantro seed, toasted and ground fresh), Toasted and fresh ground black and red peppercorns, small amount of fresh grated ginger, 1/8 Cup Tamari(Aged Soy/quality), Orange and lemon Zest and juice of one orange(lemon would cook the meat, which I do NOT want), Sambal garlic chili sauce w/seed, tablespoon sesame oil, 1/4 cup NON-packed golden brown sugar....marinate for at least one hour in ziploc in fridge(mine did so for around 12 hours before we ate it.. Which is why it was darkened around 1/8 inch or so into the flesh). >>>> Same marinade with the Shrimp(but lighter on the orange juice, as I don't want to cook the shrimp via acidity, either)... And the shrimp sauce is "General Tsao" ..... Easily found on any REPUTABLE recipe site... It's a staple sauce for Chinamericans, lol...... And not often seen on Chinese menu's around here, even as HUGE as the diversity and availability of varieties of food is here in L.A.... Spicy/tangy and Sweet, VERY good sauce for shrimp IMHO(which I also used to baste the chicken). The trick with the Chicken Breast is to get the grill really hot, sear in all the h20 and then criss cross quickly on one side... Then flip it and do the same.... the second you rotate it 90* for the criss cross on the second side.... turn the heat down to medium or medium low... 5 minutes on each side, MAX, and they're done... 5 minutes each side further, give or take, that is, AFTER searing(Forehead touch is Well Done/Chin touch is Medium/ Cheek touch is Medium Rare-Rare). Another thing you noticed that I did, and were curious on.... I let the chicken sit out, covered, for around 20-30 minutes... This allows the meat and it's sugars(on top of the added sugars in those marinades) to come up to more like a 'room temp'... Obviously in the mountains where it's 95*,... you have to alter things a bit. BUT, just pull them out of the marinade, set on paper plate, cover with another, inverted, then a rock to keep em covered from meat bees!(Yellow Jackets, filthy bastages! lol).... This way, the meat will cook through more evenly... Rather than hitting meat to the grill that is COLD in the center still... Which will NEVER allow AS GOOD of an end result in quality/taste and JUICE OOZING OUT FACTOR, RIGHT? lol... They were pretty juicy compared to what you're used to, I'm figuring? Also, like I did, WIPE THE EXCESS MARINADE OFF! If you don't, it allows the brown sugar and other sugars in the Tamari, etc(most marinades) to create VERY QUICKLY destructive hot spots... They end up creating a hard crust on the outside, which is FINE with a Rib-Eye... But with a lean meat like Chicken breast? NO! lol. It can crack and then allows all the water to run out.(Most meat, including steak, is 70% Water... Most don't realize this)..This is why so many people burn their Chicken legs, etc., and the middle is still raw... One, they haven't let the bones and all come to room temp more or less... Two, they leave too much marinade on, and legs being more fatty.. well, they DRIP, and what does dripping fat in the fire do? BIG FIRE, lol... Big fire equals BURNT. It's kinda opposite with chicken from most meats. Steak? You wanna cook fatty steaks like Ribeye or such fairly fast... Lean like Sirloin? Lil slower.. As it has not much inner fat(Marbling) to aid in that 'chain reaction' carry over heating of the internal meat temps, as we were talking about, remember? I cook quarter legs on top racks, start them much earlier than the breasts, keeping them in an 'indirect heat' type of spot. Sometimes I'll quick smoke them as well by adding a lil foil cup filled with soaked applewood or the like... Then after 45-65 minutes at medium-indirect heat, you have a NICE GRILLED chicken or whole filet of Salmon(20 minutes or so) with a nice smokey flavor. I prefer using Mesquite to grill... BUT, convenience often trumps 'the norm' for me, especially when in the mountains like that, etc. Camping? Sure, I bring mesquite, cooking most of the slower cooking treats with that. But I still bring my gas grill.

Cougar,

Sup dude? LONG TIME NO SPEAKIGIUWAIAH! Yeah, was a blast, and those areas on the backside of the Angeles Crest offer TONS of wheeling where you're not bothered, not harassed by the 'fuzz', and so on... you just can't cook or have fires out there..... it's mostly day use, as they don't want to have to manage 100's of thousands of acres like that... So they can just watch for 'fires' and such and head down if they have to, at night. And if they do, you're most likely going to get a HUGE fine, be forced to leave and so on. It's VERY much unknown that those types of trails and such are back there, at least by the L.A. side(South Side of the range)... The north side cities like Palmdale and Lancaster and Pearblossom and Littlerock, CA.... they all know all about it! lol.

RW, HEY MAN!

Yeah, one day I will... Still working on it. I wanna just get it to the right format, then have it all in hyperlinks and list each recipe with a link, so someone can just go to the site/blog and pick it up. Ya know?

The Salmon was basically;

*1 Lb. Skin on Coho, Wild Caught(I avoid Farm Fish, but with Mercury and Nuclear waste.... i don't scoff at it anymore. lol. I guess I just don't mind picking up radio stations in my head and glowing at night hahahaha.)

* Cut into 3, 5oz pieces or so.... Score skin just barely through, all the way across in around 3 places(to prevent 'curling'... Do the same with the edges of a RibEye around the eyebrow and edge, just through the silverskin)

* 1 Cup total of Lemon and Orange Juice, fresh squeezed, reduced by 2/3's do 1/3cup of juice reduction.

* Dice around 1-2 cloves of Garlic, fairly fine(Same amount of Shallots or Onion), rub into flesh VERY gently

* tsp. of fresh ground black peppercorns/ tsp. of fresh grated ginger/ Tbsp. tamari/ Tbsp. each of lemon and orange zest/ tbsp. brown sugar/ and mix well into the lemon and orange juice reduction(reduction is around 1/3 of original yield)

* Get pan Medium-high hot and pull Salmon from Marinade after 1 hour or so. Then season lightly with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

* Tbsp. Butter in pan, wait for 'foaming/hiss' to cease, then immediately lay salmon in skin side down. Heat for 1.5-2 minutes on medium-high and then flip.... then add one more teaspoon freshly grated ginger, Let heat for just under a minute, take 1/4 Cup fresh squeezed orange juice and deglaze pan.... Add 1 more heaping tsp. Orange and lemon zest, kill heat and add 2 tsp. butter, roll pan(circular motion, moving the fish carefully and allowing butter to 'shine' the sauce)... IMMEDIATELY THEREAFTER; Plate fish and have rest of your courses READY, not close, READY to go... As the fish will carry over cook in the next minute....which is good... BUT, after 2 minutes or so, SALMON, being more fatty and NOT TOO big of pieces, will QUICKLY loose it's heat and become much less 'enjoyable'. Not sure about you... Cold fish is not my favorite type! lol.

Flea! Sup?

Yeah, I understand... At times, I wish I'd been more 'technical' and left the troubleshooting for other threads, etc... BUT, I wouldn't change it for a thing.. I did do many other threads... BUT, I wouldn't have met so many good people and learned so much about them/them me/ had I not just shared EVERYTHING, ..day to day life, trials and tribulations, fun, wheeling, troubleshooting, etc. Just go to each section where you see pictures... That's usually where I was starting something or finishing it/wrapping it up/having solved it with the great help of the good peeps on here! I still plan to do a thread of 'cleaned up build' stuff's... That way people don't have to fish through so much. Just need the time to sit here and get started... will take a while, hahaha.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-03-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:34 PM

WOW, something is up with my 'Windows Gallery' or 'Player'... Cuz it wont recognize these videos... BUT, when I clicked "Open with "Windows Media Center"-player and it played! WTH? I think I accidentally deleted a video because it wouldn't come out as anything but a "musical note" or "Audio Voice Graphics".... NO matter what I did. Oh well... Next time, right? lol. >>>>

This is on the way up, these canyon roads are RELENTLESS back and forths for around 40 miles each way, lol.... Gets to diggin in your lats if you have too narrow bolsters.... Anyway, it was a NICE drive, as I always find it to be >>

Old 09-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Chef, man your recipes are not just a recipe, but an education. Thanks again!
Is the fire above Glendora near where you go wheeling?
Old 09-03-2012, 06:15 PM

Sup mark!! Havrnt been in here for awhile. That seems like a great trip. How did you cv's handle this one? Good i hope haha
Old 09-03-2012, 06:33 PM

Alright Mark, Here are our videos all put together in to one.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:52 PM

Why you're very welcome, RW! Funny, ... I hit enter and then realized how huge that post was... MEH, whatever, take it or leave it.. it's me, right? lol. Once again, my MULTI-QUOTE ISN'T WORKING! GRRR! lol.

Far as the fire, nope... where I LIKE to go, where I've been taking Richard, is the 'BACK/NORTH side' of the Angeles Crest Mountains.

I'll do a map to there, soon... I just don't know how to post Maps and routes on them from other sites onto here... I can't seem to save them... I'll have to do a screen shot, right? Plus, I had a long post, but don't wanna mess up the video time! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-03-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:58 PM

Wow, that was SO COOL, Richard! haha... Nice job, man... You musta been ticked after getting it all killer and then having to start over... STUPID PUTERs! lol....

Thanks again for seeing if I wanted to go again.... I'm glad we did this instead of Azusa, to be honest.... One, they have a fire up there... 2, this was way more 'FREE', ya know what I mean?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:08 PM

Argh!!! Ill have to watch videos on comp cant see nothing on phone
Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 PM

Haha good job on the music video redeth!!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread