86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
WOW, ok, slow down there, bubba! hahaha... JK, jk... I will keep my eye out if I go alone... But just know, I'm not selfish, but when I find a 1st Gen at one of these yards it's getting STRIPPED!, lol... I like having extras... BUT, I already have a PERFECT rear panel set... in case I ever wanna replace mine. So you could have that if I find one. Hood and hood vent... not needing that either... so you're good there. hahaha... I think you'll have to end up grabbing a jack off ebay or CL or something, Richard... UNLESS you find another brand vehicle one that fits? Those get ripped up front like the batteries. They never make it to the lots... OH, and I LOVE how they leave the rear windows up...... BRILLIANT! I've seen guys break out the glass to get back there.... I Just can't do that, I'd rather sweat a lil and crawl through and pull things I need... But what if I need stuff like the tailgate? It's just a STUPID group of guys there(shhh, don't tell em I said that, lol). That jack is ALMOST useless for off road use of an SAS vehicle anyhow.... Wont even reach the axles with 35's on there, most likely! hahaha. HI-Lift is the way to go, sir! I found mine, used, on CL for 25$ Restored it a bit and painted it... it's workin like brand new... And it's an older version, maybe an 80's version even. SOLID! New ones are probably better... but 25$ is 25$ and it will pull down a house like any other hi-lift, so It's all good! hahaha.
Oh wow, I especially like the part in this post that you said, "Hood and hood vent... not needing that either... so you're good there. hahaha... " That made me at work, Thanks I definitely needed that. as for the rear window i agree with you man. almost the majority of the time the window is up and you are left to cook alive in the back of the truck. I hate when people do that especially because its rare enough just to find one let alone one with decent parts, and people gotta go and hack it all upjust to get to the piece they want. or like what happened the last time we went. I found that 2 bend big vacuum tube from the front of the 3.0 in great condition then i lift it and seen someone had cut it clean off down at the bottom of the tube rather then taking a screwdriver to undo it. That left me like WTF!?!?! Ive gone into 4runners before to retrieve a part i need when there is broken glass pieces all over the floor. That is the worst! BTW thanks for reminding me about craigslist. sometimes i forget about that website and just need to be reminded that its there ya know. Maybe i might find one for $50 one of these days.

I'm gonna have to make a list of stuff my truck needs. I just remembered i need the windshield wiper holders. Last owner drilled selftapping screws into them to hold them in place. Come on man! haha. i can also use a couple signal lights. And something not too many think of but also the headlights. Those things cost about $54 at a store new! why not just grab some off another car or rig when they can be used on yours. Who knows you might get lucky and find an HID kit you can take off. lol
Old 08-28-2012, 02:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahaha.... do my best to provide banter, ya know?

OK, ..... first, on the headlights? Hmmmm, MAYBE, but I went with the Silverstar and they're fine for my needs just as a precursor to my 8" Dick Cepeks that you saw in person... NOT BAD LIGHTING, EH? hahaha. Burn the hairs off the arms. lol.

Far as signals... LOVE to find those clean... but rare that they're not brittle or even cloudy. I LOVE www.autobodypartswarehouse.com for that stuff, man. Alternators or Steering pumps or TPS or Ignitors... DEF. want the OEM stuff's... BUT light covers, not so much. Signal HOUSINGS, etc., DEFINITELY OEM is good stuff.

Here's a couple things from http://www.autobodypartswholesale.com

http://www.autobodypartswholesale.co...er=6&liter=3.0

Old 08-28-2012, 02:10 PM

Liking this sucker! lol...>>>>

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...219989551.html
Old 08-28-2012, 02:42 PM

Oh wow thanks man. I'm gonna put that website to use once i get paid lol.
Btw the headlights. i didnt mean like the entire sylvanna bulb fixture thing. I just meant the plain ol' bulbs off the newer cars. Remember i have the bulb sockets on my headlights now.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just playing catch-up on your thread, nice work Mark! You've been busy, nice work on the cv's and the shocks! The hubs look awesome too! Nice flex pics!
Old 08-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Driving like grandpa means easy starts and doing about 60mph when the speed limit is 70and on the toll roads it is 75. I am thinking 33s later on with 4.88s like SCToy mentioned. I talked to a guy that had 5.29s with 35s and thought he would be doing terrible with mileage and he said no way. Dont know what his mpgs were but he said for the gas mileage alone he wouldnt sell it. It was one sharp 92 Toy truck.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Oh wow thanks man. I'm gonna put that website to use once i get paid lol.
Btw the headlights. i didnt mean like the entire sylvanna bulb fixture thing. I just meant the plain ol' bulbs off the newer cars. Remember i have the bulb sockets on my headlights now.
Ahh, ok, yeah, I feel ya... Good thinking! I would have done those long ago... But still reading up... I wanna do it once FOREVER, lol. Wish I could afford a SICK LED headlight conversion, to get the SUPER BRIGHT effect with WAY LESS HEAT and power needed! But alas, ... dem's outta my range! lol.

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Just playing catch-up on your thread, nice work Mark! You've been busy, nice work on the cv's and the shocks! The hubs look awesome too! Nice flex pics!
Thanks, buddy! I laughed when reading that flex portion.... especially after seeing yours flex.. But she can flex a LIL more betta than that, fo sho... Was just checking something on the shocks... wouldn't test the CV's on that asphalt, promise!!! She does just fine for me for now being IFS and all, considered....

WOO HOO! hahahhaha.... Seriously though... can't wait to get back out there, ASAP!!!

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Driving like grandpa means easy starts and doing about 60mph when the speed limit is 70and on the toll roads it is 75. I am thinking 33s later on with 4.88s like SCToy mentioned. I talked to a guy that had 5.29s with 35s and thought he would be doing terrible with mileage and he said no way. Dont know what his mpgs were but he said for the gas mileage alone he wouldnt sell it. It was one sharp 92 Toy truck.
Yeah.... I might be a LIL off with the 31's and 4.30's... But i wouldn't think far enough to pull 12mpg's out, lol.... STILL, I have to admit it's with TONS of idling at lights and never getting through the gears(Maybe 3rd 30% of the time if I'm lucky)... When I do get into 4th, it's RIGHT BACK to 3rd within seconds.... cuz the next RED LIGHT IS COMING! lol. I swear, they're TERRIBLY timed... I don't think they've studied the patterns for YEARS! Anyway... still tinkering... And .............

Starting to wonder WTH is causing this hot start idling down stuff.. it's NUTS! lol. Really annoying... but what's weirder is that it sounds like it's running on 2-3 cyl's! lol.

Then, as always, within seconds... it just smooths out. Seems to take longer when it's really hot out like today though.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What up chef, do you happen to have a 22r 4x4 oil pan and pickup?

I was putting my motor in today, and kept having clearance issues with the oil pan clearing the 3rd member. Turns out I have a 2wd efi 22r, and the sump on the bottom of the pan wont clear to allow me to get all of the trans bolts in.

Help! Haha..

Last edited by Manik_markk; 08-31-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:21 PM

hey mark just wanted you to know Ive been lurking around runner is looking great as always hope all is well with you man.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:54 AM

I hear ya on the heat we get to about 36 37 centigrade. Think that's 90's in Fahrenheit can't remember the conversion. Winter is coming soon too which sucks. Might not be getting my wheel bearings done for another 6 months if that's the case. Oh well such is life. Thought about building a plywood platform to put my truck on it and buy a garage in a box to cover it all up but once the snow hits we get buried in 6 feet of snow so it will have to come down. But on a brighter note. If there's anything u need from a first gen runner I have a complete parts truck minus the doors. Prolly cost you a bit for shipping across the border but ya never know I could have that hard to find part for ya.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Manik_markk
What up chef, do you happen to have a 22r 4x4 oil pan and pickup?

I was putting my motor in today, and kept having clearance issues with the oil pan clearing the 3rd member. Turns out I have a 2wd efi 22r, and the sump on the bottom of the pan wont clear to allow me to get all of the trans bolts in.

Help! Haha..
Hmmmm, interesting! Sorry man, was gone all day with Redeth at Big Rock Creek and Mt. Emma/Ft. Tehon junction area, wheelin! .... Not sure I've read this problem.... it's a different pan, eh? Just trying to make sure here.... Because when I did a timing kit last time and another when pulling the timing cover, .... the sump had to be removed and dropped into the pan in order to get the pan out the back w/the diff dropped down a bit.... But sounds like you're ....If I'm reading this right.... having 'trouble getting this motor w/pan installed, to fit over the diff so you can bolt it in to the bell housing? Meaning, the sump portion OF THE PAN is sitting on the diff? I honestly didn't know they were different pans. .....

YES, I have a spare 4WD 22R oil pan. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? hahah.. If you'd seen my garage you would, lol. Anyway, I swapped in another pan when I had to start fresh with a new Short block...... Because that pan just seemed a LIL too wavey for me! lol.. BUT, it was mostly me, being anal, trust me. If you can hammer it out to true(if it's not true enough for ya...I think it would mount up and be leak free just fine, like for me, if you do the sealer portion right)... then you can have it.. BUT, I can not help you with the Pick-up tube..... sorry, I'm using mine off the old block. HOWEVER, the place I got my short block? They MOST DEFINITELY would have one. I THINK I gave you their site, but if not, it's www.japanesetruckdismantlers.com , IIRC...

Originally Posted by jason in tn
hey mark just wanted you to know Ive been lurking around runner is looking great as always hope all is well with you man.
Hey Jason.. miss chatting with ya Thanks for checking in... Hangin in there, as you're very well practiced on as well, I know . Bless you and yours, buddy!

Originally Posted by bbrideau
I hear ya on the heat we get to about 36 37 centigrade. Think that's 90's in Fahrenheit can't remember the conversion. Winter is coming soon too which sucks. Might not be getting my wheel bearings done for another 6 months if that's the case. Oh well such is life. Thought about building a plywood platform to put my truck on it and buy a garage in a box to cover it all up but once the snow hits we get buried in 6 feet of snow so it will have to come down. But on a brighter note. If there's anything u need from a first gen runner I have a complete parts truck minus the doors. Prolly cost you a bit for shipping across the border but ya never know I could have that hard to find part for ya.
I will DEFINITELY keep this in mind... I just had a few things shipped from a dude on here that's relocating from ALASKA to the Lower 48..... Got a Dash light dimmer, coil and ignitor and dust cover/secondary to the dizzy and all wiring therein. VERY good dude, very reasonable. Wish him the best I'm ALWAYS needing things... One of them, now, of course, being a driver side front mudflap. Mine, that I paid for, I didn't even notice was 'glued down the middle' having torn before..... But at 15$ for 8 years use... it served me well. I have both flaps but I'm going to have to Tac the inner most portion of the fender skirt to the rig, as well, cuz my nobby happy 32MT's are grabbin on them there! lol. Even with my lift they're rubbing, WITH backspacing that pushes them out, too... So I'm not sure HOW guys do the 33's and no lift don't rub if they're pushing the IFS limits Like I am, lol.

Next comes an update on my wheeling trip with Richard and his GF, a good couple and a great couple of people! lol....

SO; Update asap, but Sadly, my old Coolpix, while it's working, ran through the batteries.... QUICK! And, 2 of the 6 videos I did came out like some "Windows Media Sound Graphics"... I'm kidding you not, there was no picture, but audio was there, and the screen showed my voice pattern in a graph style display????/ WTH IS THAT????? Grrrrrrrrrrrr! SO ticked, because that was the second best portion of the trip yesterday. I got to pull Richard out of a pretty sticky spot using my 20ft. Smittybuilt tow Rope for the first time. WORKED GREAT! And, Another portion where I was showing how well my rig 1. Climbs steep stuff almost crawling up itself, 2. flexing VERY nicely along the way and 3. one of the two videos I got of Richard wheeling that were pretty cool. Alas, .... "OH WELL", the word of the day once again! hahaha..

Pics and video to come, soon
Old 09-02-2012, 04:17 PM

Couple pics from yesterday, out wheeling/eating/good times, with Redeth(Richard) and his other half...

Heading up...... Richard in the rear view...LIL DOT there, lol.

Before that we stopped at the same spot as last time and wheeled around a bit, testing out Richards new-to-him used tires and my new OEM Reboot Kit I did on my CV's(and the new to me Aisin IFS hubs I installed).... all of it worked GREAT! .....

Then Redeth heading up and down the opposite way I was doing it in July(was going up the hill he came down, while I was in 2WD-4L .....) But THIS TIME, the first, less angled hill he had so much frustration with last time, ... he made it up! lol....

Then we headed up Big Rock Creek Road, backside of the Angeles Crest, passing Valyermo and St. Andrews Abby, Devils Punchbowl and such....; These guys were doing around 100mph, EASY! SHOCKED my coolpix actually caught it, lol......

Headed up into the mountains ahead of us in the "motorcycle pic", found a good spot, WHICH WAS UNREAL, considering how crowded it was in the Angeles Crest National Forest... pretty much EVERYWHERE, but especially where nice pools of CRYSTAL clean icemelt are, ya know? .......

Cooked up some GRUB, light summer style menu... I think Richard and his lady liked it...

Then, heading back, Richard and his Lovely GF(I'll let him share her name... not sure he's wanting to, lol).... decided they wanted to wheel a bit more. So, we had to decide to go up and over the top of Big Rock Creek and risk tearing up his second set of used tires... OR, go back the way we came... We went back and found A GREAT spot to wheel! Tons of Dirt Bike and Quad Trails that are perfectly legal for 4WD's... AND, EMPTY of ANYONE... Couldn't believe it. Anyway, I only have one video that Richard's GF took, and my battery died RIGHT BEFORE what Richard said were some CRAZY flex out of my "Ruby" that he didn't think was possible, climbing up some REALLY steep stuff with nearly no skinny pedal(I am locked in the rear, yes,...so that helps... as does the tires, but the flex shots would have been GREAT! hahaha) He has WAY more video than I do of that second place... So I'll wait for him to upload em and share. I'll get some still shots from some of the videos as well... Just have some editing to do anyhow, ya know?(lil potty mouth going on here and there, lol)... NO< not me lol.... Just messin with ya, Richard... .......

This last spot was GREAT, plenty of wheeling within these few square miles without having to get stuck way up in a mountain with just two rigs, one of which is very stock.... So I will find the GPS coordinates and share with whomever in SoCal wants to try it out(it's 10 minutes from nice clean water for day chillin, eating and taking a soak)... and plenty of trouble to get in without being in the middle of nowhere, ya know? First hill we went up, my batteries died and the others couldn't be found! hahaha. Oh well... like I said, Richard will have more...

Also wanted to toss up some pics after fully done with the last wheeling spot.... We hit a lil mud along the way, hehehe>>>>

One last parting shot, leaving the Angeles Crest National Forest, .... Los Angeles View in this shot....

VERY beautiful things around here, if you can just handle "THE STUFF I CAN'T really mention on this site! hahaha" ..... Richard will chime in, hopefully, on how beautiful that spot was that we took a swim and ate... And how it was RIGHT ON the Canyon Road! Still can't believe how lil crowd there was on the Creek... BUT, then again, the people all camping up at Sycamore Flats for the holiday? Yeah, ..that crowd? WOWWOWOWOWOWOWOW! Must have been 200 Tents in 12 Camp Spots within that site. ... Can you say "Holy Late Night Drunken Mariachi fights!!!" Right Richard? hehe. Even where we were, ... swimming, etc... It was a group around 20 showed up... VERY respectful of us 3, and just went to the other side of the Creek and kicked it.. NO super loud music, etc.

All in all... was a VERY nice day that I needed VERY much so! Thanks for throwing it out there, Richard/and other Half! Hope you guys had as much fun as I did. (Sorry bout the possible gear box failure, Richard ... BUT, that's what happens with 5K RPM and LOTS O Skinny Pedal through the Mud some times, right? lol.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet pics! Looks like you guys had a heck of an awesome time!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Awesome looking trip and once again, I'm hungry! Good stuff, Chef!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice pictures. maybe its just me but it sounded like Redeth is in 4wd Low. if he is and needed the speed for that hill. i would have done it in 4wd High. 4low is only really needed for low speed stuff. soft stuff like when im at the beach im in 4high to keep my wheels spinning
Old 09-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Jeez Chef, way to make me start drooling with the good looking food pics mixed in with the fun wheeling pics. I'm hungry now too.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice pics....looking good
Old 09-02-2012, 08:47 PM

glad to see you getting out more often buddy, looks like you guys had another good day of wheeling. ruby looks good with a little mud grafics down the side. hope all is well out that way.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
Sweet pics! Looks like you guys had a heck of an awesome time!
We did, ..... well, I did, and while I can't speak for Richard or his lady... I'm PRETTY SURE they did Wish you could've joined us, buddy! Gonna try to get JCM(?) and another Mark from San Gabriel Mountains to join us one of these times. Mark lives up in there where there is TONS of wheeling.... I'd like to go that way, but not sure if JCM or Richard(redeth) can go, it's a bit farther than where I go up here. We'll see... gotta be a way, and SOON!!!

Originally Posted by habanero
Awesome looking trip and once again, I'm hungry! Good stuff, Chef!
Hahaha. Wow, well then you and the family will just have to let me cook for y'all next time you're out in L.A.(if ever, I know.... lol)... Was a great time... not quite the adventures that I'm used to/that you took on that last trip... BUT, it'll do! Take what you can get on that stuff rather than sitting home, right?

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
nice pictures. maybe its just me but it sounded like Redeth is in 4wd Low. if he is and needed the speed for that hill. i would have done it in 4wd High. 4low is only really needed for low speed stuff. soft stuff like when im at the beach im in 4high to keep my wheels spinning
Thanks, Toyo! Appreciate it Yours are as well ... Far as the 4L-4H thing; Well, he was in 4L the first time up but only cuz I had told him to creep on the high line... which he tried... BUT, it got spinning and he rolled back and started over. I had mentioned that, but it was a second pass and he just wanted to get speed up in second gear 4L.... Here's the problem with that hill/set of hills, Toyo... Like you probably have seen in the videos and if you've been in it... that dirt is the strangest stuff. It's the stuff that turns into mud that people avoid, ya know? lol. It appears hard, and is at times, and then you hit a patch that just SUDDENLY gives way and FAST, ya know? ... Which can be really dangerous on that hill in particular, because the other factor is that up toward the top, it's QUITE the angle from above the driver door side to below the passenger door side... And even more so.... There are a couple pretty nasty moguls toward the top. The angle, once you start spinning, QUICKLY takes your rear end down toward the cliff.. And it's a REALLY difficult angle/degree toward the top once you start sliding into that cliff on the right. In order to get over that first bit, 4High in 1st maybe would be fine.. but to get up the speed and momentum you'd need on that second step... it would be too fast toward the top and you hit this last mogul...and, well, there's only around 15x15' plateau up there... all sides just drop off and you could go over if you can't slow down fast enough, lol. Richard can tell ya.. It's a WEIRD hill that doesn't seem to work with the norm. If you're talking about the second time when his GF was filming me from behind, then he hauled up it? I couldn't speak to him anymore once up there,..and honestly?>> Again, that one, if you decide to go up it, needs to be crept up... and he couldn't get up it creeping up.. so he just floored it? lol... He just wanted to romp that day, I guess, cuz he's cutting all the IFS out in a couple months? lol... He'll tell ya, I'm kinda slow on most of the trails where we were, cuz I was taking the lil nastier lines, trying to fully test the CV's and, well, cuz I really don't wanna have the front end in the air and have a CV spooling up like crazy, waiting to hit the ground again, lol. Richard will tell ya, Toyo... I mentioned it a couple times, not being pushy, but just a lil concerned something might get brokeded! lol. Hey, if he snaps something, still wants to wheel more before SAS... then he'll have to limp home and gimme a call and say, "Hey, let's fix this stuff.. I can't wait for SAS to go wheeling again!" hahahaa.

Originally Posted by rworegon
Jeez Chef, way to make me start drooling with the good looking food pics mixed in with the fun wheeling pics. I'm hungry now too.
Dang, I'm sorry, man! ... The wheeling was really fun, we put in quite a few miles for sure I'll post that recipe if you want.

Originally Posted by Grego92
Nice pics....looking good
Hey Grego You gotta come with us one of these times, no??? Would be cool to get around 5 or 6 of us L.A./OC guys together for a day of grubbing and wheeling in the high desert, right?

Originally Posted by jason in tn
glad to see you getting out more often buddy, looks like you guys had another good day of wheeling. ruby looks good with a little mud grafics down the side. hope all is well out that way.
Hahaha... Mud Graphics, love it! Hey, someone asked me the other day, "What are those stripes on the side? They almost look like they have purpose, hahaha." ..... And I said, "Well, they're supposed to be 'mud splashing up the sides off the tires' "..... I think I took it a lil far, haha... My engine is VERY filthy... gonna have to clean that sucker up! hahaha.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Those are some great videos and sounds like you guys had a great time. Glad to see your cvs held up and put some confidence in your work.

I was reading that you are wanting to get your backglass up with the tailgate down for the seal. You can run a wire from the tab in the picture below to the front tab on your center console. You can do this for a temporary fix just to bypass the safetys. It has to be grounded to the front tab. You would think just grounding to the body would work and in theory it should as the front tab is connected to the body as well.

When Jason was at my house, we tried this on both of my runners and it would only work on the front tab. Dont understand why but it does work.

Here is the diagram that shows what you are bypassing.

Below this is copied from my 88 and 86 Runner build............................................. ......

Still need to get the hatch back together, but window works. Run a ground wire from the top left corner looking at tab. It is a blue wire.

I have tried several different grounds in the past on both trucks and the only good ground that I can get is the front mountng tab to the center console. This is a temporary fix. I still have the glass out and things all apart, but it is getting there.
This will go up and down with top off so and down the highway. I have never had a problem with the safty bypassed. Solves alot of headaches.

Ground to center consloe mounting tab.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread