86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Your cvs turned out great. Lots of good info. I seen where you were always getting dirty. No matter how hard I try, I always wind up wearing the stuff. If there is a way to get it on me, I will find it.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:01 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rworegon
Chef, those re-booted CV axles look great. Now, get them back in and go wheelin'.

Yup, the Tacoma kit had Oetiker style clamps supplied on the original OEM cv and in the kit.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&b...WJMdDmiwLF6oFg
Yeah, ..... as I read the FSM a couple times(88FSM, can't find an 87 one).... I read over and over that same page, saying,

1. Be sure the boot shaft is in the groove

2. Bend the Band and lock it as shown in the figure...........

Uhhhh, lol. JK, ...it DID show how it locked... and never mentioned a tool, so I figured it out and went right back out and did it. See, the MAJORITY of the links I'd found were on 3rd Gen 4Runners or Taco's.... and they're QUITE different. In fact, I'm surprised how often I see newer rigs like 96-97 4Runners and Pick ups needing new boots. Mine got ridden pretty hard for years, then sat long periods, then ridden hard again... then sat a LOT longer than ever before(which I think was partly the cause of the failure, along with just pushing too much lol) / I also read that link >>>>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...59/#post844823 ..... Great, so simple and ALSO mentioned 'which grease in which boot/joint, ...... marking everything, etc.

Thanks again, RW! REALLY appreciate the help! They're in, went in LOTS easier than they came out... LARGELY cuz Richard(AKA Redeth) came over and helped out by putting foot to the lower control arm, pulling up on the Hub/lugs area..... Lil turn as I guided and 'FLOP', right in. Thanks, Richard

Originally Posted by Outsane
Great work rebuilding those CV things, oh and a good tip is to keep the boots nice and oiled. Every 6 months or so slather the outsides in grease and wipe off after 10 minutes, otherwise they dry out and crack.

still not sure where to put them on my rig!
Thanks man, and good on ya for the tip Gonna look into it a lil more, then see what's best for 'conditioning' and I WILL SURELY do that.

Originally Posted by junk4u
Man that looks so easy, but I remember doing the same back in the early 90's what a pain that was to get those out. The only reason I had to change them was because of the towing company lifted the front end instead of flat bed towing it.

Awesome job.
Gotta tell ya... while I've helped and had others out on another guys rig, EASY, .... I gotta say, these were a bear to get out, to some degree. EVEN with the studs out... YET, I figured out why, later. I'll explain in a lil video I'm doing. Reconditioning them was cake... just have to follow orders... Lil scary making sure the collars are all in the grooves, etc...... But I"m sure I could redo both in an hour next time, EASY, plug 1-2 hours to get them on the bench.

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
Good job on the boot kit install. Now I have never figured it out but which color grease goes on which end?
Yeah, answered below... but also, as I mentioned above, that thread was very helpful in that. The funny thing is, it's in the diagram that THEY have at the counter... but not in the FSM, far as I could tell.... EXCEPT, I'm sure, in the 'fluids and such' section.. Even the haynes says something about it, I think Richard and I found. I think the Yellow grease was a bit thicker/easier to work with/gave me more time to get the rest in the boot and then slide it over. BUT, the outer joints has no CAVERN to slap the grease in like the Tulip Housing... , hahaha... So yeah, could be my imagination? Makes sense, ... much bigger bearings and they're on needle rollers. I think that's the main reason for the different grease. Ball bearings in journals just need the black. (Funny, I never noticed, but the Auto Locking Hubs have 2 DIFFERENT greases, aside from the normal one, for just the brake and clutch.... Have to be ordered from Toyota/Probably to maintain warranty if you buy new). Gotta tell ya, Toyo... as long as these hold up... 60$ or so for both of them to turn out like that, nice smooth motion, etc. ? WELL worth it! 60$ to keep my own OEM CV's in GREAT shape... or 120$-240$ for Parts store stuff/Altrom-Made in China///YES, true enough.. LOTS of even Japanese manufacturers are using China now to their specs... Just as Altrom told me.... BUT, NO WAY can I believe that most of that stuff can come close to the quality and precision of Toyota Manufacturing or even Japan Steel(which is largely all the steel they bought off us to make their super steel stuff... My buddy WORKED for Toyota, buying it all up)..

Originally Posted by rworegon
In the Toyota OEM kit:
Yellow/brown grease = tripod inner joint
Black grease = outboard joint

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
Good to know lol. Been doing boots at work for a long time and I just randomly throw grease in them. Now mind you that these are on grocery getters 4wd that never has 4wd engaged lol.
.......... I'm sure they're STILL better than many aftermarket ones that have the right grease in the right boot/joint! haha.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Your cvs turned out great. Lots of good info. I seen where you were always getting dirty. No matter how hard I try, I always wind up wearing the stuff. If there is a way to get it on me, I will find it.
Thanks a lot, Terry....... and YEP, BUT, ..... as I go, I clean everything well... Like the CV housings, A-arms while waiting on Richard to get there... etc.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:08 AM

CV Boots Installed, OMEmu front shocks(new style I guess with black boots?), Driver side droop-Bump stop washer shaved to fit OMEmu shock on that side(? .... not sure, nothing's bent... just was rubbin... couldn't get it out to shave it .... so I did it right on the rig, then turned it around so the flat spot was in line where it WAS making contact with the new shock... Wouldn't get in the lower hoop unless I did so, ASK RICHARD! hahaa. ) Cones, washers and nuts on one Aisin Hub(all cleaned up, greased up properly and SMOOTHLY operating) .........

Hub Covers will go on tomorrow, lots of pics, a video explanation of some stuff.... And that'll do, I hope. Then a lil test drive video with the hubs/cv's engaged, etc., on the dirt up the hill some

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-25-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Wow!! You got alot done. It took me awhile just doing one side.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ChefYota4x4,
You seem to be pretty knowledgeable regarding 4Runners (and I am not). Can you help me? I have been told that by replacing the ECM (ECU) chip, and resetting the computer to performance mode, I can increase HP. Is this true, and if so, how do I do it? Any reccommendation for work and chips? Thank you very much.
PS. Your 4Runner looks as good as the food!
<><
Old 08-25-2012, 12:02 PM

Wow!! You got alot done. It took me awhile just doing one side.
haha... Well, I'd have done more, but I COULD NOT, in good conscience, go past 11:30PM/any further, without grabbing some food, and ESPECIALLY getting Richard something to eat! hahaha... I said, "WHAT? IT'S 11:30? Dude, are you hungry?".... To which he responded, "STARVING!" hahahah. Then thinking about it.... I had not eaten ALL DAY! VERY stupid... And felt bad I'd not thought of that on Richards, end, as well! I just get so focused and forward motion get's hold of me and FORGET slowing me down! hahaha. Couple STUPID hang ups like not being able to find my long handle tool to hold the shock rod still from the top while turning the lock nut down.... AND, as I said, the bump stop ONLY on the driver side, PREVENTING the shock from mounting in it's hoop mounting tab on the lower A Arm..... Which brings me to something I AM SURE OMEmu didn't always investigate.... THEIR SHOCKS AND PRODUCTS ROCK,... but when testing the shocks, either they had different droop-bump stops than me.... STOCK, ... lol... OR, they didn't test full droop with the shocks installed(2-3" Lift shocks)..... The edelbrock shocks? They're just NOT QUITE as wide a diameter... So they JUST FIT at full droop. Ask Richard... I tried thinking of any way to not cut that stop flange... BUT, ended up having to cut around 1/4" at least off. "Hey, richard, PICK UP THAT SLIVER THAT'S GLOWING AND SMOKING ON THE GROUND RIGHT THERE!"...... HAHAHA... holy crapoli, Richard... When I think about it now, it was EASILY close enough that If I sat down all the way, I'd have sat right on it! CAN YOU IMAGINE????? ?

PICS COMING IN TODAY, PROMISE! Some video too, eventually.

Originally Posted by reedrj
ChefYota4x4,
You seem to be pretty knowledgeable regarding 4Runners (and I am not). Can you help me? I have been told that by replacing the ECM (ECU) chip, and resetting the computer to performance mode, I can increase HP. Is this true, and if so, how do I do it? Any reccommendation for work and chips? Thank you very much.
PS. Your 4Runner looks as good as the food!
<><
Hey Reed....

LOTS of guys are saying they get 24-27MPG's/city-hwy/ in their 22RE.... with all kinds of performance mods, etc... I think that's ........., wow! lol... NOT gonna call ppl out, why would I? Good for them, etc..... And I KNOW that I got 23.8mpg's out of this thing at proper 65-70 max in 5th most of the way on my first 130 Miles on my last trip to AZ....But, in town, I'm MAXING out, even with low stop light density testing, etc., lol.... 17-18mpg's, period. MOST often, 12mpg's(with worse than average South Bay, SoCal driving/ TONS of sitting at idle longer than driving, never getting out of 3rd, lots of hills, etc.).... I'D LOVE TO FIND A WAY TO DO WHAT SOME GUYS SAY, "I drive like a race car maniac all over town, skinny pedal to the floor, still get 20MPG's all day long....."........ NOT that anyone has to prove anything to me... but until I drive that thing myself, fill it up, I WILL NOT believe that crap for a second, NO WAY! A 3RZ? SURE, it can do lots better with lots of foot to the floor.... Especially being OBD2/better injection, etc., etc.., etc. But the 22RE? (In my case) ..... fhewwwwww, I just have a hard time buying that. But I'M INTERESTED! hahaha... Bcuz if I can do that, I will, whatever 'THAT' is! hahaha.

IT'S NOT a rocket ship with Nuclear physics technology... and that's ok with me. But my point is, ..... if you just do the basic things, tune ups, regularly scheduled maint..... You can do ok with these on the mileage end,....without spending HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS on a chip that MIGHT save you 20-30Cents a tank....... MAYBE 5$, I can't know.... I just don't know enough about them, and I don't know what year/motor/auto?/etc., you're speaking of, ya know?

Lemme know more, and if I come across a thread on that, etc.... I'll slap you with a PM, k?

Thanks, btw... I'm not 'that' knowledgeable.... I just have a fairly good memory.... WHICH HELPS A LOT! lol. Learning by experience, as I go, like most humanoids I've met on here, hahaha.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-25-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I consistently get 220 miles to 10.5 gallons with my 81. I do hardly any stop and go though. Lots of rural highway driving. Its definitely possible, but i think that 33s on 4.88s is the key. 4.10s and 31s has much less torque and makes you use more skinny pedal to get up hills and get going from a stop. Which, I think isnt worth the tradeoff of lower rpms on the highway. And here is my theory as to why this is the case.

Toyotas have such bad aerodynamics that at higher speeds you really start to be punished for over working the poor little motor.
Basically
If you get into the power band, you're going 70-75ish and it scoots right along, but you get poor mileage.
Now with my 33s and 4.88s i ger into the power band while still down around 65 mph and i pull better fuel economy, but i'm slower.

Also my gears are closer together, so on hills i dont have to run it out as far to get to the next gear.

Ps on my phone, i might need to come back and rewrite this.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:28 PM

I hear ya, man... 20-24 City/HWY is NOT impossible for me to buy... no way. It's the 25-27- City/HWY and such.... EVEN THEN, I'm not saying 'NO WAY IN HELL'.... Just no way I'll believe it on it's face without VIDEO! hahaha... Again, jk, and I don't really care enough whether it's true.... UNLESS I CAN DO IT TOO! So I just manage the best I can, conservative on the skinny through the gears as low RPM as possible.... ETC....

I have 31's on here most often with 4:30 gears...... I really don't struggle much with hills anymore... but the fact that I can do 70 up the Cahon Pass in large part..... at 3K RPM.... that makes me kinda hesitant to go bigger, even though I know 4.56's would be accurate to a "T". Hmmmm.....

Honestly, I'm ok with the gearing/mileage, for now... I'll keep working on my gremlin as I go, and eventually figure it out, ya know? But yes, "Reed", to be honest, was asking something I just don't know enough about... As I said, I know Stand Alone's and Injector mods and Supra AFM's are done all the time... But they're mostly only for performance, and I don't hear lots saying, "OH YEAH, I put in another 100HP of mods and it's a half stroker... and my mileage? IT WENT WAYYYYYYY up!" HAHA... YET, since I don't know this CHIP mod very well... Maybe it would work for 3rd Gens a lil better? Etc? I just don't know. I'm interested to see what he finds out though... I'll read it, ya know?

Glad you're having a great time, SC! WOOT, ................... Tell them for me..... "Na Zdorovie"!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:36 PM

Lil unorganized Teaser... I'll do more when I have time, promise!

Off with these PRISTINE and having well served me WARN-Premiums.....

Pulled out the torn boot Original 290K CV's/CV REBOOTED, lol...

....AND slapped on the AISIN IFS Man. Locking Hubs I picked up and refreshed/restored......

.....AND Slapped in the long possessed OMEmu 60072's for the front to go with the OMEmu Stabilizer.....

And voila! lol>>>>>

Old 08-26-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Came out great dude! glad i was able to help. even though i wont be sticking to IFS for long its still nice to learn how to do this stuff. Never know what car or truck might need this.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:34 PM

God that truck is beautiful haha. Even though im not a fan of red it still looks good
Old 08-26-2012, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Came out great dude! glad i was able to help. even though i wont be sticking to IFS for long its still nice to learn how to do this stuff. Never know what car or truck might need this.
Thanks for the props, Richard! ........ And thanks for helping! Doesn't matter, as I said, that it's "just a hand AND FOOT!" hahaha... It's all the difference in the world not having to push down on the lower arm while pulling/turning the upper arm while pushing the CV's back in with one hand. lol.... Yep, true nuff... "NOW YOU KNOW!" lol. Hey, I'm happy for those that find it VOILA! And while I've done a few on cars/helped with a rig a couple times..... I can't say I had this much trouble getting them out before(not 'THIS MUCH' as in "OH MY GOSHHHHH, help me Lord!!!!" LOL.... Just a lil tougher than I remembered on THIS rig. See how, once the lower arm is pressed downward, the upper lifted and turned JUST RIGHT, 'PLOP' goes the weasel and the weasel goes PLOP.... right in! hahaha.

thanks again, brudda.... Wanted to hit the yard today, almost called ya.. Just couldn't get away after all . SOON! And if I go solo, MAKE SURE you throw me a list, ok? I WANNA HELP PPL find stuff... but many don't take me up on it, so meh, what can I do, right? lol.

Originally Posted by bbrideau
God that truck is beautiful haha. Even though im not a fan of red it still looks good
thanks, man..... Don't worry, it's a sideways slap on the shoulder wannabe-hug! hahaha.

Again, .... appreciated, B, ... And....loving your work, btw, Sir! Keep killin it(every obstacle, right? ) !
Old 08-27-2012, 05:53 AM

Sweet truck.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:13 PM

good lord chef your rig always makes me smile. you could eat off the undercarriage, so clean! nice work sir
Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by KillerToytops
Sweet truck.
Thanks. Love the tops, too... just can't squeeze that into the 'list' at the moment lol....

Originally Posted by jessamiah
good lord chef your rig always makes me smile. you could eat off the undercarriage, so clean! nice work sir
Wuttup, Jesse? Your rig makes me cry.....CUZ I WANT IT! HAHAHA.... JK, .... kinda. I want it, but I'm happy for ya that you found such a clean one

Yeah, I cleaned everything up under there....again! lol... Wound up covered in grease, but that should be solved for a while. Now I can just get covered in dirt and it'll wash off easier cuz it wont be mixed with grease/hardened oil! ......

Tested them out again a lil bit today.... they SEEM to be working flawlessly/quietly and without any binding at full limits. Good spot up the mountain to test out on... but just can't go crazy or for too long. BUT, it helps to test things out/be able to lock it in, etc., ya know?

Hoping to do another day run pretty soon here. I'll keep ya'all updated and take lots of pics. Hopefully getting to the Con-Ferr and Sliders next..... SOON! Life, man... sure can bugger up your plans at times, can't it?

I'll be pulling a "heeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny" on the gremlin eventually, too. But that'll just be squeezed into other time I have on it if I have extra here and there >>>>>>> GONNA KILL THAT THING EVENTUALLY >>>>>>>>

I THINK this is him.... oh sure, he's almost cute... but HE'S RAISING CANE IN THERE! >>

I'll be looking like this when I pin him down!!!!!!! >>>>

Old 08-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Your cvs turned out well and they look better then what you could of bought and you know they are done right. I hear you on missing some meals. When I am in the shop, time just flies. Skipped a few myself.

I have had 5 or 6 trucks with the 22re and 5 speed of different gens and the best I could get was 23 miles to the gallon and that was driving like grandpa, but 20 is more normal for me.

Your restore/mod is really coming along. Seen you were going to the boneyard soon. You will need to pick up the plug that goes to the distributor as the one I sent you has it cut off. If I recall right, one wire is red and one white.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Thanks for the props, Richard! ........ And thanks for helping! Doesn't matter, as I said, that it's "just a hand AND FOOT!" hahaha... It's all the difference in the world not having to push down on the lower arm while pulling/turning the upper arm while pushing the CV's back in with one hand. lol.... Yep, true nuff... "NOW YOU KNOW!" lol. Hey, I'm happy for those that find it VOILA! And while I've done a few on cars/helped with a rig a couple times..... I can't say I had this much trouble getting them out before(not 'THIS MUCH' as in "OH MY GOSHHHHH, help me Lord!!!!" LOL.... Just a lil tougher than I remembered on THIS rig. See how, once the lower arm is pressed downward, the upper lifted and turned JUST RIGHT, 'PLOP' goes the weasel and the weasel goes PLOP.... right in! hahaha.

thanks again, brudda.... Wanted to hit the yard today, almost called ya.. Just couldn't get away after all . SOON! And if I go solo, MAKE SURE you throw me a list, ok? I WANNA HELP PPL find stuff... but many don't take me up on it, so meh, what can I do, right? lol.
Yea I'll definitely take you up on that offer. I wanna get me a couple of parts for my truck. And if by any chance we some how get lucky to find a 1st gen 4runner thats not stripped of everything it has to offer, then i will definitely have to take that time to remove the rear side panels, get the "pull stick" for my rear seats... I accidentally broke mine so now i cant put down my back right seat unless i have some needle nose pliers to pull on it. I also want to grab another hood and hood vent one of these days. Mine are pretty dented and would like to have those painted or either have my current ones repaired. Also I wanna try to find myself a jack for my truck, mine never came with one. and id like to have one that fits on the Jack compartment(maybe i should just buy a hilift) And who knows what other good stuff i can get. Also need 2 middle dash parts for my 2000 corolla. So i do have alot to get. Ha maybe i should just take a shopping cart when i go considering the size of this list lol.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

thanks, man..... Don't worry, it's a sideways slap on the shoulder wannabe-hug! hahaha.

Again, .... appreciated, B, ... And....loving your work, btw, Sir! Keep killin it(every obstacle, right? ) !
Thanks man! It's a slow process a) funds are limited b) I do all my work in the grass and the dirt, no garage so things take time working around mother nature haha.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:25 AM

I wish I had a garage to work in. When i get my own place I am definitely gonna need to have a good size garage for my "Man Cave." I'll be in there all the time. Ha haa. I can see it now. 2 stacks of spare tires, tools on my walls. A cart. Boxes of royal purple oil. Extra truck parts and hoses, with an awesome bumpin' stereo system at the bar in a corner with a big screen tv. Damn.... Gotta get my school finished. Lol too many wants. Ha haa.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:40 AM

Your cvs turned out well and they look better then what you could of bought and you know they are done right. I hear you on missing some meals. When I am in the shop, time just flies. Skipped a few myself.

I have had 5 or 6 trucks with the 22re and 5 speed of different gens and the best I could get was 23 miles to the gallon and that was driving like grandpa, but 20 is more normal for me.

Your restore/mod is really coming along. Seen you were going to the boneyard soon. You will need to pick up the plug that goes to the distributor as the one I sent you has it cut off. If I recall right, one wire is red and one white.
Thanks on the CV's looking good... Hey, those last boots stood up to 25 years with many periods of wheeling in the winter in the Sierras and Sequoias.. tons of VERY hot High Desert cruising.... I would bet they are FAR superior boots and I KNOW they are better CV's than MOST aftermarket machining can pull off. Maybe Marlin or some of those guys offer beefier ones... I just thought, "These lasted, I have a diff drop, they're not binding, .... seem smooth,... why not trust these with some new skins! " hehehe.

20HWY, Terry? What's normal in town? OR do you mean, "I drive like a grampa around town with no lights and little stops and through the gears and get 20mpg's"... ????

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Yea I'll definitely take you up on that offer. I wanna get me a couple of parts for my truck. And if by any chance we some how get lucky to find a 1st gen 4runner thats not stripped of everything it has to offer, then i will definitely have to take that time to remove the rear side panels, get the "pull stick" for my rear seats... I accidentally broke mine so now i cant put down my back right seat unless i have some needle nose pliers to pull on it. I also want to grab another hood and hood vent one of these days. Mine are pretty dented and would like to have those painted or either have my current ones repaired. Also I wanna try to find myself a jack for my truck, mine never came with one. and id like to have one that fits on the Jack compartment(maybe i should just buy a hilift) And who knows what other good stuff i can get. Also need 2 middle dash parts for my 2000 corolla. So i do have alot to get. Ha maybe i should just take a shopping cart when i go considering the size of this list lol.
WOW, ok, slow down there, bubba! hahaha... JK, jk... I will keep my eye out if I go alone... But just know, I'm not selfish, but when I find a 1st Gen at one of these yards it's getting STRIPPED!, lol... I like having extras... BUT, I already have a PERFECT rear panel set... in case I ever wanna replace mine. So you could have that if I find one. Hood and hood vent... not needing that either... so you're good there. hahaha... I think you'll have to end up grabbing a jack off ebay or CL or something, Richard... UNLESS you find another brand vehicle one that fits? Those get ripped up front like the batteries. They never make it to the lots... OH, and I LOVE how they leave the rear windows up...... BRILLIANT! I've seen guys break out the glass to get back there.... I Just can't do that, I'd rather sweat a lil and crawl through and pull things I need... But what if I need stuff like the tailgate? It's just a STUPID group of guys there(shhh, don't tell em I said that, lol). That jack is ALMOST useless for off road use of an SAS vehicle anyhow.... Wont even reach the axles with 35's on there, most likely! hahaha. HI-Lift is the way to go, sir! I found mine, used, on CL for 25$ Restored it a bit and painted it... it's workin like brand new... And it's an older version, maybe an 80's version even. SOLID! New ones are probably better... but 25$ is 25$ and it will pull down a house like any other hi-lift, so It's all good! hahaha.

Originally Posted by bbrideau
Thanks man! It's a slow process a) funds are limited b) I do all my work in the grass and the dirt, no garage so things take time working around mother nature haha.
Wow, now I REALLY respect your work, man! I'm very grateful to have slots to slide under and work on em.... SHADE IS SO IMPORTANT down here in the SoCal summer..... Approaching 90*F today, ya know? I have a pop up that goes with me every time. 10x10 telescopic EZ-UP.... I can't IMAGINE not having that a couple times I've had to get on the ground in the Angeles Crest when it's 100-120*F or so, ya know? GREAT investment, a 'Gazebo' ez-up, telling ya! And it's aluminum... NOT heavy at all!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread