86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get you bro. Well in that case sliders is what ya need lol. Then again didnt you have everything you needed for the confer cage already? i mean all you needed was just to mount it right? and the whole stepdad thing. dunno whether thats a good or bad thing for you lol
Old 08-17-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, I have MOST everything for the Con-Ferr... Just need to pick up some aluminum strips for supports inside and out... Then new hardware in the bolts/nut serts stuff's... Once I get that, I can at least mount the rails... But had to spent all that time prepping and painting the freaking stuff, ya know? haha... I just couldn't spend 150$ or so for sandblasting when I could do it for free,... just a PITA, but free. I also, as mentioned, have known I'd have lots of work away from home/work, where my rig would NOT EVEN be safe, nor the gear I have... So I just switched gears to the VSV, etc. Make sense?

EDIT; Removed what was mostly just explanation for Richard, regarding my Stepdad, etc. Hopefully anyone who's keeping us in their prayers has read what I said and is up to date, etc.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-18-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch that sounds hard. i know i start complaining when i bust out 12 hour days in a row. and i know you have it just as bad as me because im standing all day long too. So i feel your pain bro. we need a foot/leg massageby the end of our work week lol
Old 08-18-2012, 12:57 AM

Hahaha... YEP! I'd LOVE ONE! In fact, that's funny you mention it... I've already called about one from a Student Deal thing... My feet are JUST RECENTLY turning on me, man... Scarin me, to be honest... I've had BAD flares of Tendonitis and possibly neuroma lately, worse than even THE MOST rigorous sports and even military training routines ever manifested!..... But hey, these things come, often, to those who pushed it hard when younger! lol... Didn't have as fantastic techniques for prevention of tarsal and other tendon-based damage prevention when I started Martial arts, Baseball, etc., back in the day... And it wasn't that long ago, yet I'M SHOCKED how far they've come in sports and otherwise maintenance and damage prevention. LIGHT YEARS, actually. Heck, makes me feel for my dad when he was fighting/and Wrestling for Iowa State back in the 50's.... MULTIPLE light years from where they are now, right? haha.

Anyway, it's just what it is, gotta deal with it, plain and simple. Finding the best way to deal with it helps... But when you can't implement it, it's tough... Just gotta keep trying. My feet have been much better, even after that last Pick-your-Parts run/and really long walking day in that heat(several miles by the end) So that's good! But STILL.... WHO WOULDN'T WANT A MASSAGE, RIGHT? hehehe. (I can just hear the jokes stirring up in some of the brains around here! )
Old 08-18-2012, 01:05 AM

OK< back to YOTATECH-REALM based STUFF'S! hahaha....

TONIGHT, just in the last 1/2 hour, assembled and greased up my Aisin IFS hubs... BUT, .... just one fully greased and such. I'm going to do a video as best as I can explaining what I did to assembled them(spring stuff, etc.)... It can be a lil tricky and EASILY be done wrong, now that I look at them again. BUT, it's not that difficult.. just figured it would help someone. So, hopefully tomorrow evening or something, I'll do a video of how they come apart, should be cleaned up and then 'grease'm'n'slapem'2getha' hahaha.

SECONDLY, I'm REALLY hoping I can have a few hours free on Sunday Morning to tear down the CV's and get em at least ready to come out. Already broke em all free and re-tightened to be sure none were locked up/gonna give me trouble.(Had to re-tighten as I need the rig tomorrow...... TOLD YA! haha)

I'll try to do video of The CV Removal as well, as I'll have much better light during the time I MIGHTTTTTTT have available on Sunday... But either way, next couple days or so I REALLY wanna get this at least started, HOPEFULLY done!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I enjoyed going to the Sequias while out there. Seems like it was an hour north of LA.

Will be looking forward to your video of the CV shafts. Got mine done but there has to be an easier way then the way I did it.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:00 PM

Hey Terry, ....

Yeah, I remember removing the front diff seemed to be fairly easy/with the CV inner nuts removed.... I remember pushing them in to clear, then dropping them down onto something(I'll have to look back).. .Anyway, gonna have to do it sooner than later... But, things are tough right now with the increasing needs of my stepfather on top of everything else... so just have to squeeze things in when I can.

Far as the Sequoias.... Around 3.5+ hours north of L.A.... 5 North to 178 North from Bakersfield, CA, Up the Kern river another hour or so into Kings Canyon/Sequoias. It's pretty far, too far for a day trip, ya know? lol.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sequoias is my neck of the woods
Old 08-18-2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
Sequoias is my neck of the woods
And a BEAUUUUUTIFUL NECK IT IS, SIR! I used to go, out of my several expeditions a year to the Sierras/Sequoias, often, over the Kennedy Meadows Pass... I'd hit up the Kern, Sequoias, Camp a couple days in Upper Peppermint, hike up to the dells(By Peppermint) and canoe down them.... WE WERE NUTS, lol.... And then head over Kennedy Meadows Pass to the Sierra Highway... Then head up to Olancha for some OHV Dunes fun for a couple days(explore the mines back there too! We actually FULLY built up and put in supports/tables and beds of wood in one of the mines... Sadly, the road to it is BADLY washed out now . When we'd get there, we'd have to shoosh all the bats out, haha... That mine was SO NICE! we had tons of books in there, people would leave their names and say "THANKS" on the tables, etc... And it was 110*F outside but like 75*F in there! Watch the Airmen Training in the Fighter Jets... Do some shooting, etc... )>>> Then head on through Death Valley a bit,... then back to 395 and up to Keough Hot Springs and Mammoth Hot Creek.... Then on up to Tahoe and over from there to The Coastal Wilderness, on down through Santa Cruz, Big Sur, etc,. ....... CALIFORNIA IS INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL, and I'm always amazed at how many people I meet have NEVER even been to the Angeles Crest..... and they LIVE IN GLENDALE and such! Just crazy! lol

NICE to have that as a backyard, Toyo!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-18-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:45 PM

Thought I'd throw up a Pic I took today while in Brentwood, CA(You know, to remind me that I still have it! haha)..... I swear she's pouting at me cuz I've not fixed her brokeded down boots! hahaha.>>

Ohhhhhhh, yeah, and this Grilled 12Hr. Slow Cooked Corned Beef / Reuben with Gruyere on home made Dark Rye >>

Old 08-18-2012, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Thanks, Terry and RW!

Yeah, I know, it's not 'HEY, ....I rebuild the front and rear thirds with 5.29's and installed elockers with these great videos... then I slapped a 6 Liter Cummins in it'.... But it helped me and will hopefully motivate EVEN ONE PERSON to FIX THAT IDLE UP!!! hhahaha... I let that go WAY too long, man! It's funny.... I've not had much time over the last year.. BUT WOW, I have no inhibition to tear open FAR more complicated things and fix them, install ceiling fans, build decks off risen cement overhangs... ETC., ETC., ETC., .... but this stupid thing? hahaha.

I believe that MANYYYYYYYYYYYYY Toyota VSV's from earlier years will work. I think Toyota started going with "built in resistance" with alternate impedance units on lots of things, like injectors, etc.(where they got rid of the Injector resistors like I have, etc., and replaced with Different Impedance Injectors, eliminating the resistor solenoid)... You know, things like that. But on the OLDER MODELS, .... If you see a Junked Camry or Corolla or Tercel.... GRAB THEM, I mean, they don't even sit ANYWHERE near as hot a spot... They sit on the back firewall... And they wire in easy!

So far, I LOVE having that idle up function again! Soon, I'll forget it ever happened, lol.... BUT, .... that doesn't mean my truck wont thank me! lol.
hey mark! they dont make a 6 liter cummins, they have a 5.9 6 cyl b series and c series, 3.9 4cly which is also b and c series and the new 6.7 which is strictly a c series, the only true 6 liter turbo diesel that i know of is a 6.0 power stroke which is JUNK!! like the 3.0 has a very poor headgasket design haha anyways! good you finlly got that fixed, those little thing can be annoying! like my hot start issue im having even my mechinic cant find
Old 08-19-2012, 11:57 AM

OH, you got a hot start Gremlin too, Josh? Why didn't I see that? I thought I was scribed to all your threads......... Toss me a link where you're going over it, k? I could maybe add something.... at least in the 'RULE OUT OR VERIFY' dept., ya know?

Yeah,...... on the Diesel.... it was just vague banter... not literal technical data... But thanks for the info, sir! Not even sure why I said that.... but meh, s'all cleared up now.... thanks

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-19-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:11 PM

CV Reboot;

The rebooting of the CV's is the next priority on my list. As many know, I'm very slim on free time, .... so I have to pick my choices in manner of 'relative importance', then attack each one accordingly.(It's the first time in my life that I've been this busy/without all of it being work/none of it OTHER than work being my choice). I am taking my mom to my nieces baptism tonight... and as said, she'd be TICKED at Uncle Mark if he didn't show, lol.... But, I thought I'd have the day free as we had someone to come over and watch the stepdad for my mom while she got ready(which takes hours! haha)..... The lady canceled on the earlier part of the day and can't be there til 10 Minutes before we have to leave....... So the CV's are put on hold, AGAIN! S'ALL GOOD THOUGH, fhewwwwww, deep breaths! hahaha.....

Tomorrow til next weekend the lady has a lot more time free(and we found someone else as well that works for other family, WOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO! eh chem... sorry, lost it with HOPE for a second there!!! ) ... so I WILL be using her/them to cover for me/my mother really/ as I HAVE TO get this stuff done! .........

I'm planning a trip to see my dad, in Lake Havasu, AZ, very soon.... And my Sister wants us all to go and take my mother as well, to GET HER OUT OF THAT HOUSE!...... But I think my sister will be a day behind us..... So I will be taking mom in the 4Runner... which means Wheeling with the Nephew! ...... Which means, .... CV's HAVE to be done, properly, ready to go for that trip!

I ordered the gaskets for the wheel hub to Aisin hub surface, in case my Warn Gaskets are TOE UP..... (I think I wanna do them anyway, after going to the trouble of restoring the hubs and having the rotor turned, etc.). So I wouldn't have that til Monday anyhow... BUT, I could have been ready with the CV's at least done, etc., ... meh, spilled milk, right? I'm doing a video of the Aisin Man. IFS locking hubs that I'll piece together with the first video of the cover and dial assembly and make it just one 8min or so video on how to LITERALLY tear them down and assemble. Then I'll splice in the last video as well of the installing them on the Rig, putting the c-clip back in and calling it 'DUN-done!' LOL. Also wanting to do a video of the CV reboot. From everything I've read by the more GURU(do that work every day) type people on "CV" work, etc, feel that it's best to trade in the OEM CV's as core exchange..... I understand the reasoning, and nothing wrong with it, not saying that. Just that I think our CV's, if still in decent shape, are going to last longer than the Aftermarket ones. So, I figured it might help someone to decide to figure out if their Toyota CV's are bad and then reboot instead of 'core exchange' them, ya know?

That S'all... just hope ya'll undersand that I REALLY WANT to be done with this and get to the Con-Ferr, etc.. I just can't seem to get the free time out there! (as I said, got a plan on that, FINALLY!)

PS> ....."A plan"; Part of which is my decision to DEFINITELY take weekends off.... and FINALLY got an appt. with the health care provider's-Counselor to see what she can do for us on 'caregiving' assistance. They just DO NOT cover anything that's not urgent medical needs.... I guess SUPER HIGH RISK of falling and breaking your neck is not worth preventing to avoid THOSE FUTURE, MUCH HIGHER - COST TO THEM - MEDICAL NEEDS, right? )
Old 08-19-2012, 03:00 PM

Forgot to mention....

Anyone looking to do the CV's, whether reboot or new, will have to pull them, obviously. If you want fairly decent instructions on this procedure(lil vague, but better than nothing), I will have the video, but some can't do video's or load the 80MB FSM, so look in the Haynes, 8-20. On 8-17 begins the Auto Locking and Free Wheel Locking Hub removal/install/tear down/reconditioning, etc.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

oooo that looked like a tasty sandwich... but Mark... plain yellow mustard? no dijon in the house?... wanta share the bread recipe it looked dark and yummy...
you could put a couple of soft poached eggs in that thing and call it breakfast...
I would...
Old 08-19-2012, 11:29 PM

Hey Paul...........

This is a very common recipe which is actually 'DARK RUSSIAN' with Caraway...... I do most of mine by bench proofing on the deck and in a proofing box... HOWEVER, recipes like this, if you have a bread machine, are VERY easy and VERY tasty, granting you can follow instructions to the tee!(Which I know you can... And by 'instructions', it's not usually the ingredients with bread that's fouled up, it's more often THE MACHINES INSTRUCTIONS(aside from those who like to measure things rather than weigh them, as if giving a 'good guess' will cut it with a science like bread/SOME BREADS ARE NOT SO PRECISE/... BUT AS YOU KNOW, that's usually met with very ticked off results and MILLIONS OF BREAD MACHINES IN THE TRASH BIN WITH FOOT PRINTS ON THEM! HAHAHA... ) ...............

"Black Russian" Bread;

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 cup rye flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons margarine
2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1 tablespoon caraway seed
1/4 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Directions

1. Place ingredients into the bread machine in order suggested by the manufacturer.
2. Use the whole wheat, regular crust setting.
3. After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan, place on a cake rack, and allow to cool for 1 hour before slicing.

If you're like many, and feel bread machines are FOR PIGS! hahaha... (I don't, not a problem with em, ... if you're using a bread machine, you're not buying Store Brand White, ya know? ... that's a good thing in my eyes... And usually leads to people trying to make WAY more ambitious breads like REAL Sourdough //with a good starter like mine, that's from Boudin's and is about 100 years old// or a Kalamata Olive and Garlic Loaf... Or REAL Rye-Sourdough Loaf or REAL Focaccia......... Try this one.......

Kalamata Olive and Garlic Loaf;

Ingredients

4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon non-iodized salt
3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 tablespoons olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup seedless Kalamata olives, chopped
1 tablespoon cornmeal

Directions

1. In a medium bowl dissolve sugar in 1/2 cup warm water. To proof yeast, stir in yeast and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes in a warm place.
2. Preheat oven to 105 degree F (40 degrees C). Warm an oven-safe bowl in the oven.
3. Place flour in bowl of food processor. Add salt and pulse for a few seconds.
4. Start food processor. Pour proofed yeast into flour through hole. Immediately add the additional 3/4 cup warm water, then the olive oil. Process for about 1 minute or until dough ball cleans the sides of the processor bowl. If dough is too wet add a little flour through the top while processing, or if too dry, add a little more water.
5. Turn off food processor. Remove lid and transfer dough to the heated bowl. Cover with a plate or plastic wrap.
6. Let rise for 1/2 hour in a warm place.
7. In a small bowl, combine minced garlic and chopped olives. Set aside.
8. Once dough has risen transfer dough to a lightly floured board. Make an indentation in the dough and place olive mixture inside. Knead dough 10 times. Bulk of mixture should remain in middle of dough. Form dough into a log or round loaf shape.
9. Sprinkle cornmeal onto greased baking sheet and place loaf on top. Turn oven to 150 degrees F (65 degrees C) for 2 minutes and then turn off.
10. Let dough rise in warm oven for 1/2 hour, or until light and puffy. Remove loaf and increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
11. Bake bread at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.

But you want the basic "Dark Rye" recipe I did, very easy in a bread machine(The Brown Sugar/which many don't add on top of the molasses/ really makes it a favorite for most I've made it for who've had it both ways/with and without the brown sugar) .......

Dark Rye;

Ingredients

1 1/8 cups water
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups rye flour
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon caraway seed
2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Directions

1. Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
2. Select the Basic cycle, and press Start.

I have tons, but I have to start scanning them and typing many out(BAD HD Crash in 2007... VERY sad....... BUT, Luckily, while everyone thought I was crazy, I printed out EVERY PAGE that I had on the computer. The discs are in my storage and are BURIED... I just don't have the time. But I'd love to share WHEN I have time, anything you want

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-20-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:38 AM

PS> That's Organic Fresh Ground Yellow with Chardonnay that a guy I know makes... it's DELISH! lol... But I usually use a mix of that, Dijon and whole seed ground mustard. He uses a very good chardonnay reduction in making his Yellow.... And trust me, it tastes NOTHING like it looks. He also makes and sells INCREDIBLE Ketchup's, many with fine Port and other wines,... just mind blowing how different it is when it's home made. Ketchup doesn't have to be CRAP! lol. But don't worry... I understand your concern hahaha...

Take care, Paul... Hope you're well.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:48 AM

nce mark! searching vraigslist and found an 86 runner, needs a motor, 500 obo, looks clean... well.... body wise, needs a wash, goin tommorow!
Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Congratulations on your nieces baptisim. Sounds like you are going to be getting involved in the conewashers soon. I have finally figured out to go about getting them out. I think you have already have taken yours out and greased them so shouldnt be to bad for you. I have learned to have patience with those.

Suspension work is probably one of my most least favorite areas. Getting the nuts off the CV shaft isnt near as bad as I have read. If you have a nice flat spot. I leave the truck in neutral and use a 17mm box end and get the nut from the bottom side and then just roll it forward or backward til I can get to the next one. I have a chalk laying near by so I can start tugging on the nut and the chalk holds the truck still. I get to have a hub turned and pack my bearings on Mistys this week, so have something similar that you are going to be doing.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
nce mark! searching vraigslist and found an 86 runner, needs a motor, 500 obo, looks clean... well.... body wise, needs a wash, goin tommorow!
When I am out of town or funds are low, that is when I can expect a $500 rig to show up. Isnt that the way it goes? Hope it works out for you.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread