86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, Richard...

Yeah, I have no idea if it will work or not..... BUT, I greatly appreciate you offering, man... I'll letcha know.. Maybe we can do lunch and I'll grab it.. or a PYP run and I can try to find one that could work, ya know?

Old 08-13-2012, 09:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh yea definitely I wanna grab the male plugs I forgot for my 2nd gen horns. So I'm up for a trip.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:18 PM

A/C-vsv UPDATE......

Ok, ...............

1. I pulled the connector and found that the top post(closest to the CLIP that secures the connector into the VSV) is the HOT..... I'm guessing the bottom one is the 'SWITCHED' one or maybe even ground?

2. I took a couple of alligator clip wires and tested the "Spare FPR-vsv" and it actuated, no problem, every time I hit the contacts with 'POSITIVE' & 'NEGATIVE' from the battery.

3. I then took the FPR-vsv and hooked it up to the connector from my harness meant for the A/C-vsv and hooked the vacuum hoses from the actuator(with the spring and white screw for adjusting idle up) to the FPR-vsv I have lying around........... HERE'S WHERE IT GET'S CONFUSING/INTERESTING, HAHAHA........

WITH THE TRUCK RUNNING AND AC/ON;

..... A. With both vacuum hoses hooked to the FPR-vsv and both A/C harness connector pins connected to it(I ran some male and female spades), it would not idle up....... The SECOND I PULLED EITHER wires from the Harness connector off of either post on the FPR-vsv, ..... it idled up to 1500 and climbing! HAHAHA.

......B. As I hooked the "Constant Hot" post to the FPR VSV and left the other unplugged, it stayed idling up.... Then connected the bottom post from the Harness Connector to the FPR-vsv connector that was free.... Idled back down again.

......C. I switched the Vacuum hoses, switched the wires, got it to HISSSSSS through the basket.... Nothing I did could make it work to 'IDLE UP UPON ACTUATION OF THE HARNESS VOLTAGE'>......... It basically, I'm pretty sure, was only acting as a 'BYPASS OF THE IDLE UP ACTUATOR VALVE ON THE PLENUM'(The White Screw and Spring Vacuum port for the Steering and A/C).

......D. I checked the FPR-vsv again with 12V, to be sure I'd not blown it.... It actuated fine as I'd touch it.

I can only guess, because I'm not an Actuator and VSV Engineer! lol.... But my guess is that, simply, "they work differently" and possibly have different resistance?

If anyone knows HOW I can make my spare, most likely working well FPR-vsv work in place of my AC/VSV, please, chime in, I'll HUMBLY take a "Hey, dummy..... ya should've done THIS........." ... in order to get it working! hahaha...

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-14-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Now I know which one you were talking about. Just getting caught up. A rod thru the block isnt nearly as bad as these little gremlins.Urghh!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:23 AM

Yeah, Terry... it's got me REALLY ticked! lol... Not the AC-VSV things so much... But that STUPID MISS FOR 3-5 YEARS that's hitchhiked onto 3 different motors and SO MANY new parts.... Nonetheless..... STILL MANY parts not new.. Which sux too! hahaha... I mean, if I had 2 things, like Dizzy and Coil.... DONE, I'd find donors and swap em in from a PURRfect running 22RE and call it SAM! lol. Then i'd know, .... but it seems I have to accept that either I did deeper... or just drive it until it blows up! lol. Just hate wasting gas, IF I AM, and that miss is NUTS, it's so hard to locate. I'll bet it's the LCE plug wires or a TINY crack in the head, or just anything that will let it run another 300K miles, .....but not without me chasing my tail through every mile if I don't find it! Could be mechanical.... Sure enough, can't deny that. Was last time, and NO ONE but that guy who ran it on propane to diagnose could figure it out! I hope not!!! (I doubt this what seems to be a 'hot soak' or 'vapor lock' "IDLE DOWN TO 300RPM ON RESTARTS" thing is mechanical... It DEFINITELY seems to be either STARVING or running on 2 cyl's... I mean, the motor is about to rock off the mounts when it's doing it!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-14-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 PM

Hey guys , .... hope ya'all are staying cool as possible! Eeek! haha...

Anyway, did a video of what it's doing when it 'IDLES DOWN ON WARM RESTART'.... I did it after running groceries in, so it didn't do it as bad as it usually does... but nonetheless was still doing it's THANG! .........

Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 PM

Ok,....most know my Idle Up for AC hasn't worked SINCE CREATION! haha......... And; so I had business in Long Beach... which drops my path RIGHT CROSS the street from Pick-Your-Part, Wilmington, CA... So I called and MY BUDDY WAS THERE, TODAY! Finally! haha... He's a manager with LQK(?) liquidators or something? Anyway.... Ran in and grabbed 8 AC and other VSV's, hahaa... Bunch of other things, too, and all in 45 MINUTES! I got that place down, I tell ya! haha.

Got home and did some work and then ran out and..........

I know, I know... big deal ... BUT IT IS TO ME! haha.. I've not had idle up through 2 used VSV's that have gone bad/broken off vacuum ports... etc. Kinda sux having to hold the gas pedal down every time I come to a stop... That, added to the fact that I'm hunting a very tricky/annoying gremlin where it's "idling down on hot restarts to 300-400rpm, then back up on it's own eventually"... it's nice to know EXACTLY what was wrong and that it's fixed Right? lol....

Thanks for those who tried to/did help on that.... It LIVES!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
nice!!
Old 08-16-2012, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Glad to hear you got your idle up back. That probably is a great idea on moving so it doesnt set there and cook all of the time.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:33 AM

Thanks DZ, Terry

I'm very stoked about it.... As i said, I know it's not a HUGE deal... and HONESTLY? I'd much rather of caught my 'rough idle' and 'idling down on hot restarts' gremlins... but FOR NOW,..... it's at least a lil 'SOMETHING WENT RIGHT' to hold me over moment! hahaha.

* I'm gonna mount it on the firewall, today... Have no choice... Can't leave it like it is. I'll get the part number so guys can grab em and then do a lil instructional on how to wire them up, etc., ya know? I really want to avoid cutting the wiring to my factory A/C VSV connector... So I'm going to SHOVE some tight fitting spades in there, heat shrink over that connector(I have tons of heat shrink, lots of sizes), and that way I can use the connector that came with the new VSV to quickly release it, etc.(if I have to tear down the plenum, whatever).

* I'm also going to be doing a BIG WIRE TO SWAP to the Fusible Link Plate. While I'm in there, I'm going to re-solder my 'Trailer wiring' up to the rest(I have it tucked up under the frame.... I wanna be able to get a ski or boat or toy trailer on the back and haul that with on trips... So I needa get that sussed up while I have the clip out at the "80A fuse portion", ya know? Shouldn't be too bad. I have plenty of 4AWG laying around and want to solder AND fasten it in to the stock location.... Been thinking out a way to do that REALLY solid and seal it up well with heat shrink, right to the 80A Bolt level.

* Then it's on to the Hubs and CV boot kit.... I want to get all this done before too long, as I'm planning on visiting my pops in Havasu, AZ again, soon. He's really been having a hard time(Can hardly stand for a few seconds/walking is VERY tough right now)... So; It's very HARD for me to be basically 'stuck' over here, caring for someone who doesn't appreciate it much/resents me for it in a way, ya know? That's life.... it was never promised it would be a bowl of cherries/full of easy choices... But I'm needed more here, clearly. Pop's has the Wifey, and his grandson and Son-in-law out there to help.... I just miss him, very much, ya know?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:23 PM

Idle Up for A/C-VSV fixed/Moved to fender hump in engine bay(plus a great example of my most recent GREMLIN family member! haha)>>> ;

Old 08-17-2012, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I need to move my vsv and get off of its little shake and bake oven. Dont know why I didnt think of that.

Gremlins like your 500 rpm is going to be difficult to find.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
RW, ....are you saying that the VSV's can be restored by replacing the magnet in there? Is that was people do? I'm just lost, man! lol. I'll wait for ya'all to gimme-da-lowdown! lol.
No, AFAIK, the magnet cannot be replaced on its own. Toyota just uses a strange name for the whole assembly. Nice pick n pull assortment of VSVs.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:44 AM

Thanks, Terry and RW!

Yeah, I know, it's not 'HEY, ....I rebuild the front and rear thirds with 5.29's and installed elockers with these great videos... then I slapped a 6 Liter Cummins in it'.... But it helped me and will hopefully motivate EVEN ONE PERSON to FIX THAT IDLE UP!!! hhahaha... I let that go WAY too long, man! It's funny.... I've not had much time over the last year.. BUT WOW, I have no inhibition to tear open FAR more complicated things and fix them, install ceiling fans, build decks off risen cement overhangs... ETC., ETC., ETC., .... but this stupid thing? hahaha.

I believe that MANYYYYYYYYYYYYY Toyota VSV's from earlier years will work. I think Toyota started going with "built in resistance" with alternate impedance units on lots of things, like injectors, etc.(where they got rid of the Injector resistors like I have, etc., and replaced with Different Impedance Injectors, eliminating the resistor solenoid)... You know, things like that. But on the OLDER MODELS, .... If you see a Junked Camry or Corolla or Tercel.... GRAB THEM, I mean, they don't even sit ANYWHERE near as hot a spot... They sit on the back firewall... And they wire in easy!

So far, I LOVE having that idle up function again! Soon, I'll forget it ever happened, lol.... BUT, .... that doesn't mean my truck wont thank me! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-17-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a set of superbright leds for dash lights in green if you want to try them out..

I didn't like them, too bright and did not dim much.

let me know
Old 08-17-2012, 11:40 AM

Hey Bud, how you doing? Yeah, I heard that from many, Outsane.... And I think I might just be one that would feel the same way, lol.

What I REALLY need is the dimmer switch... But I KEEP FORGETTING to grab one when at Pick-your-Part... IF I can find one of course. lol. Need to call my buddy at Toyota and see what other model cars/trucks will work, ya know? Either way, I'm probably ok for now. I really want the LED on the rear light mod I'm gonna do(always hot, always hot at the deck lamp too, 4crawler mod).... they just get too hot, these lil suckers.. And with the LED, I don't have to worry about that nor about leaving it on all night when camping, etc., falling asleep, ya know? I'm fine with the dome I have, up front... It's PLENTY bright... but since I'm going to install one in the rear(maybe 2) I might as well try them out up front, right? Less power it a good thing.

PS> I have like 40 spare green bulbs for the dash cluster.... I think I'm ok on that one... But thanks, Outsane, very nice of you to lemme know !!!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Idle Up for A/C-VSV fixed/Moved to fender hump in engine bay(plus a great example of my most recent GREMLIN family member! haha)
Had some catching up to do on your thread. Missing one day is like missing 2 weeks on mine lol so much stuff going on on your thread hahahah.

Glad you got the VSV situation handled bro. I'm surprised i didnt think to tell you to try getting it off another car hahaha. lol ive had to do that in the past with the signal. headlight, wiper part on the inside of the old truck when i broke it. i got it off a corolla. Anyway glad its working. whats the next project CV'S? Hey btw whats the deal with the confer cage? i havent heard you talk about that one in a while.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:15 PM

Hey Richard, SUP?

Yeah, I'm stoked on the VSV thing... I think everyone with a 22RE these years should move that sucker to the ....ANYWHERE BUT THE HEAD OR EXHAUST SIDE! lol.... I can't believe they last as long as they do, Richard... the thing get's SO HOT(AS HOT as the Head, basically!)... It's a miracle how well these things are built! haha... But bad placement IMHO.

Anyway, I rolled all over today, Del Amo Mall for an errand for someone/Up the hill....down to Lomita 2-3 times.... All day with the air on, NO MORE IDLE UP ISSUE with the AC! lol.. I always feel silly being so happy about something like that... But it's the 'getting things working that haven't for years' factor that is just as rewarding, no matter how small, haha... Like I said, feel silly as well for waiting so long, but I just kept putting it off.... s'all there is to it..........

.......Which brings me to the Con-Ferr..... Honestly? It's just VERY last on the list of 3-4 things I'm doing right now. the order of importance, to me, is;

1. AC-VSV (DONE)
2. IDLE DOWN on hot starts onlyyyy GREMLIN (HIDING, but I CAN go on with the Con-Ferr install when I have time)
3. CV's(Also can get done while hunting the gremlin, ...so it's next )
4. Con-Ferr/and Side Rails
5. Interior Lights in the back(4Crawler style mod, using the roll bar/Might also use the rear window wiper motor cover as well, with quick disconnects)

I have LOTS more I want to get done.. Including Sliders(which should REALLY take priority to the Con-Ferr as well... All depends on my access to my buddy, the welder.... BUT, I have an offer from a Yotatechie to visit him in L.A. and he'll slap em on with me/weld em on for me... So we'll see which comes first... Probably the Con-ferr as I can do it with what I have here.)

I also have avoided taking the top off because I've needed my tools in the car, some expensive cooking equipment, etc., etc....... Including the Sub... And I can't drive around for days with it off until I can have a series of days where I wont have such a high risk of LOSING MY ARSE! hahaha.

I PROMISE I will call ya though, I can definitely use extra hands on that one, Richard... Ya know?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-17-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:59 PM

For sure man. I dont mind helping you out. btw. I'm curious to see your creation on that back light look forward to seeing how it goes. And btw, i agree with the sliders being a priority. BUT for the type of off roading you do at angels crest i dont think its that hard to avoid damaging your truck. wasnt very much high stuff we went over at that place.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
For sure man. I dont mind helping you out. btw. I'm curious to see your creation on that back light look forward to seeing how it goes. And btw, i agree with the sliders being a priority. BUT for the type of off roading you do at angels crest i dont think its that hard to avoid damaging your truck. wasnt very much high stuff we went over at that place.
haha... Yeah, honestly? that's cuz I didn't wanna get you into something that'd cause damage/get us stuck back in there, ya know? Remember that place with the steep hill? that goes all the way back over to Devils Punchbowl(almost to where we ended up with the rock garden, etc.).... It's very tough at many spots... and I mean, I couldn't getcha into anything past that cuz you weren't locked and were sliding out quite a bit even on that side hill on the left... We'd have gotten you stuck for sure, so I stayed out of that stuff. But normally, even sometimes solo, I'll go lots deeper in, especially in the Sierras, etc. And on the rock garden portion? When I rounded that tree? That was VERY close.. Remember I backed up and headed at another angle? That was it, an "EEEEK" moment! hahaha....

I've spent WEEKS on single trips up in the Sierras and Sequoias exploring and creeping into stuff that actually, eventually, caused a bit of unnecessary damage to the white 4Runner you've seen. Got it fixed RIGHT before that terrible wreck The Angeles and other local stuff like that is just for the '1 hour to get in some dirt' stuff... and being AWAY FROM TOWN for a few hours. (I've camped back there, too, many times... But again, mainly when I needed to stick close, ya know?)

I also want to armor up a lil underneath. I like the Tank Gaurd I think RB pic'd up... and pumpkin and TCase armor is always a wise move. Possibly a skid plate with more capacity for 'oops' moments, too... Been looking on CL and such.(Just not 100% sure on which way I'm going with this, for good, in the end, suspension wise, ya know?) If I can avoid getting into 'nuts' stuff, I always do.... I've never sought out the hardest path, especially when they were DD's.... But at times, many time, I've had no choice, so just had to creep through as carefully as possible. Sliders aren't a ticket for me to 'climb that stump, man!', haha... BUT, if the stump is in the way, and it's not 'stump after stump after stump' for miles.... SURE, it's nice to know they'll keep ya from crushing the door support/frame.

I've just been very overwhelmed with life/no time over the last couple years... But all this work has been in preparation for getting back to more of the norm for me, which is every weekend/some couple week trips a year... so I'd rather be safe than sorry, ya know? (ON a somewhat dark note on that end... The stepdad is just not long for this 'living at home' situation.... Because it's just become way too much for my mom and myself, on top of work and wanting to have SOME semblance of a life).... So either way, whether the help comes to his house or he goes to it... It's gonna happen sooner than later. Has to, not really a choice any more, ya know?

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread