86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ilove rebuilding those hubs. But so messy!! Haha it looks good. What are you going to do with the warn hubs?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Looking good. Some reason I never would of thought of using bottles for supporting things. Great idea.
Ditto on the Lasagna pan parts tray. Every day items found around the house. In Mark's case the Kitchen.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Found this by googling fiberglass floor grating.

http://www.amdgrating.com/products/molded_grating.asp
Old 08-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info Hab got to do that diff breather job myself... my breather got clogged with gunk after I lost the cap who knows when and blew the nose seal which led to the diff getting grenaded... new to me diff now lol...

rusty parts clean up? nothing works better the coca cola... seriously just immerse the part in coke and come back in a few days and wipe the rust off... makes you wonder what it's doing to your insides... personally I never touch the stuff [anymore]...

parts cleaning? Varsol and a scotchbrite pad...
Old 08-08-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the props/input, Roger, Matt, Paul... appreciated!

Yea, I used Coke for years on Grills, etc., etc., etc! It's the Ascorbic Acid, I believe? You can dissolve a quarter in a glass o that stuff, hahaha. LOTS of natural things do that, btw... Not that I'm saying Coke is good for ya...

I am SOLELY a Hansens Soda guy(I know, it's not available everywhere, guys... But seems to be expanding after 30+ YEARS! hahaha.) Ask Jason_TN and his cool Wifey, ..."Whatcha think of Hansens Soda?" hahaha.. No Caffiene, No Preservatives, no Sodium, 100% Cane Sugar(the diet ones are the same ingredients except no calories and splenda/sucralose instead of Cane Sugar or the other two/Pink and Blue... ) ANYWHOOOOOOOOO....hahaha... 90% of the time, I'm drinking Crystal Geyser Natural Sparklin Mineral Water with Lemon... MY FAV! (Richard I think liked it/Redeth)??? hahaha.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:48 PM

OK< welllllllll,

As I said, I coated the letters with a light layer of dielectric grease... Today, after painting over the whole hub covers and dials... I took some 400 or so Grit to the letters and they came out pretty good for a home made paint job by an amateur!!! HAHAHA. >>>>>

Old 08-09-2012, 04:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh snap, watch out. That came out clean mark. Very nice. Better job then I could have done lol, probably would have left paint drippings on mine hahaha.

And yea that lemon soda water is pretty good. I actually ordered that a while ago. Perfect in this hot SoCal summer weather right now.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome work on the hubs, they look better than new! I tried the the trick with the grease on the letters, but mine didn't turn out so good, lol, I ended up just painting back over it and calling it a day,lol! Nice work!!!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:41 AM

Thanks, guys!

Hey, Ed, ..... all you do is take a piece of 400grit or so(I'll check the exact grit I used...it was from a variety pack I picked up on sale, ya know?)... Take that sheet and cut out a 1x1" square... Then fold it as needed and run the FOLDED EDGE along, back and forth... IT WILL remove the paint over you did. OR, you can roll it up like you would swat a fly with? ....Roll that piece up and do the same, run it back and forth over the top of the letters. This method keeps you from even getting close to scratching the cover or dial paint, ya know? I just kinda ran it back and forth, then round and round a bit on the C and O and such.... Just to get all the edges clean... and VOILA, it came off. I know it came off a lil easier cuz of the grease... But I used A MICRO FILM, literally just rubbed some into my finger and dabbed the top(I didn't want blobs, even lil ones, cuz they can get hit with paint and run off.... I've learned this the hard way, lol.

If you want them to look like off the counter at the dealer... Wanna see the letters... That's all you need to do.

BTW... always wondered why they never made a version that you can LOCK! lol... i mean, like with a small key! I know it's probably not practical.. But I have been camping on 2 occasions where kids on the group turned my dials to lock! lol.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:46 AM

Was thinking about this one for a buy and resell if it's HG/Trans action/4WD/Brakes/etc., trouble free. If I can get him down to 1500$ it would probably fetch 3500$ or more with a lil clean up and such..... (looks to have a lil pass. door/fender gap though lol.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3165439538.html

Just looking in general for projects to take on if I get the time free that I'm hoping to start getting soon! lol.

Looking at these, too.......(and 93's as well)....

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...192475893.html

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-09-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the hubs, I think my probably was I get in to much of a hurry, lol, I can barely stand to let the paint dry, you know, lol... nice CL find! Wouldn't take much to fix the door/fender, if he's had it that long, you might be able to get him down to $1500! I saw a white 84' for the same price only with a 22r had me drooling! Lol. That Landcruiser was pretty cool too!

Last edited by rustED; 08-09-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 AM

Yeah, I agree...it's hard to wait! haha... that Con-Ferr took forever to dry(think it was specifically related to THAT CAN of paint I got... Ok, maybe it was the 8 coats! hahaha)...

You could even just take a dremel with a sanding disk on it and take the paint right off those! I'm sure you might not care... but it just REALLY bugged me! haha.. I was thinking, "Meh, who's gonna notice?"... And then I realized... while I don't care much about that, I WOULD NOTICE, and like a fly on the ceiling... I'D HAVE TO GET IT! haha.

Yeah, nice rigs down here... But they go FAST! That one, true, it's been a lil while... Might just give him a call.. It's HOT AS HELL over there at around 110*F right now, ...... would be a bit of a chore to look it over properly in this heat on asphalt that's 180*F!!! hahaha. But gotta do whatcha gotta do! Right?

I've REALLY wanted a Land Cruiser for a LONG time. I'm not HUGE for taking the top off too much, anyhow. I DO TAKE IT OFF, have at least 20 times on this one..... BUT,.... with sub and amp and, and, and... IT'S JUST SO RISKY here in L.A..... Especially for the guys who don't just want your crap inside... they want IT! It's easy enough to steal to begin with, ya know? What I often do is get where I'm going and pull the top there.... WORKS GREAT and takes 10 minutes, ya know? Anyway, the LC's are roomier and SFA's.... They can get PRICEY in the project realm... But Look at that one I just posted... IT'S CLEAN! Another thing is I could probably slap a 3.4 or 1UZ in there a LOT easier, right? lol. Lil more room and lil beefier trans? Think they're bigger 4spd trans, most of them... unless you get into 85-86 and up? I LOVE the boxy bodies on these. Like Mak, the guy on here with the Mustang... (aka Michael)... I'd LOVE to have a 93 or so, too. VERY hard to say... Those are LOADED with features.. probably easier to diagnose, etc., but I would imagine the 80's versions are probably easier to WORK on, literally.

Anyway, just looking, but if I see something or get the time to take a peek and it's 'A GOOD BUY' .... I might just have some pics without warning! hahaha.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hubs look great. That is a nice looking runner and the Land Cruiser looks solid. I know smog can add up quick for you guys out there. Not much help on the Landcruiser.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 PM

Thanks, Terry! I respect your HOME FIXERUPPER SKILLS... so that means a lot! haha...

HUGE DAY, Terry.. in high heat(especially the attic which was 138*F when I got down!)... the AC condensation tube leak is fixed Ceiling? NOT SO MUCH! haha.

I'ma try to pull the CV's on Monday, next week... Have a couple jobs this weekend that I have to have my truck for... Can't be down til after Sunday evening or so.

Hoping I can get the CV's out quickly as possible... so I can get them in to my machinist to use his tools, etc., that day or the next.

By the next weekend, it's supposed to cool down and I plan to do some wheeling and break in the new grease, boots, Aisin Hubs, etc.

I might be heading to AZ again, soon... My sister wants to take my mom and I out to see my Dad... Just to get my mom OUT OF HER HOUSE! Poor thing is REALLY worn out from all this drama the stepdad causes... (Not trying to pick on him...he has it rough, I feel terrible for him... But some make it EXTRA HARD on others when they have it hard...OFTEN ON PURPOSE!..... That's him! {It's a passive aggressive thing that he's done his whole life.... Amplified by this health crises he's in, ya know?} ).......... That would be GREAT to spend time with my sis and mom... They REALLY NEED that time together, but my sister doesn't do well driving long trips like that. So they could chat all the way, ya know?

That's it for now.... I AM really happy how the hubs turned out.... SO FAR! lol. Still have some rust to remove on a couple lil spots... But I think they'll be fine. OHHHHHHH, yes, and I'll be picking up the OEM Dial O-rings and Cover gaskets, tomorrow
Old 08-09-2012, 09:29 PM

PS> WTH is wrong with 'flashplayer'??? Everytime I post, I click post a quick reply.... it spins and spins and nothing goes up... Then I click back, click on the thread again and THERE'S THE COMMENT! WTH? I think something is just wrong with my OS or a BAD software glitch... Maybe I need to reload Adobe Flashplayer?

I know it reacts with the Silverlight or something, right? SEEMS like, not sure, that every time I go to IE or is it Google? Whatever uses 'silverlight" or 'silverfish!' or whatever it is ,lol... I start having Flash player crashing in Firefox!

Sorry, I try to learn as much as I can, guys... I just can't seem to keep up with the PROBLEMS! lol.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:12 PM

Aisin locking hubs.....

GREAT thread write up by Spacejunk! Thought I'd immortalize it in my thread, keep it up for others... Not sure why in my searching I didn't find this one.. But oh well, thanks to 93Xtra-Cab I found it! >>>>

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ild-up-158644/

Thanks again, Troy, for doing that... Just saved my ARSE! lol. (I almost made a couple mistakes, and while I would have read the FSM instructions... I still might have had em all greased up and ready to go and then had to fix the smaller spring on the pawl. EEK! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-10-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:30 PM

Glad I could help, Chef!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:41 PM

Picked up the new 0-rings and cover gaskets, .... gonna post up pics with the part numbers(still in the bags), and then I'll post why I'm replacing the old-o-rings with new ones with a pic... .Tried, bad light before, meh, lol.

The old/orig. o-rings are cracking/dryrotting on the ID of the ring... That could QUICKLY lead to tearing away at one point... and then I get TONS of dirt and crap in there again and have to tear down again and clean up? NOPE, not worth skimping on 12$ IMHO.. So I ordered them and the gaskets(for the same reason, avoiding dirt in there) and picked em up today. 22$ with my Discount for all 4 pieces... Not too bad considering I got these hubs for like 25$!

Be back with pics, asap. Still trying to make sure I understand the reassembly portion. HOWEVER, ... NO point in assembling totally until I get the inner hubs apart a bit and CV out, right? At least they're nearly ready and will have new Gasket'n'O-rings
Old 08-10-2012, 05:00 PM

Just catching up on the build...does it have to be dielectric grease on the letters or could you use like a white lithium grease? I don't know much about grease and grease accessories
Old 08-10-2012, 06:07 PM

Hey 93! SUPWITCHA? haha...

Hmmmm, I suppose it could be a multitude of greases... But I'm not sure. Not to make a big deal out of this... it doesn't even need to be applied, to be honest. The reason I did, honestly, is because I noticed that when I don't(like on the valve cover, etc.), the paint tends to dry over those edges(obviously, LOL) and then when I go to peel it off that section, it wants to go with the rest of it's molecular brethren... peeling back. With the grease, it seems to come clean off with a few swipes of the 400Grit or whatever 'moderately fine' but not TOO fine sandpaper you have.

Also, I don't know how some grease might react with paint. WIMean is, ... maybe some grease would just be broken down quick by the paint and run right off into the rest of the paint. Wouldn't be a big deal.. it's not much anyway..but I had used it before and it worked and stayed put... I honestly don't know if other types of grease or maybe Vaseline might be better? (I've seen people using that, crisco, all kinds of whatever they have laying around? hahaa).

You could probably apply the paint and then wipe it off right away? Only thing is I hit it a couple times... So I would just have to wipe it off again.. And you'd have to use something REALLY lint free, ya know? I have a shammy for just that. It doesn't leave hairs or fibers on things when I'm painting, but absorbs the paint, ya know?

Like I said, it just seemed to come off easier and cleaner when I just lightly coated my finger and then dabbed the letters of things, than when I didn't? lol.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread