86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:17 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Guys, couple questions.....

1. I'm going to be doing a couple other things, soon, when I do the CV boot kit repair.... WHICH WILL ALSO BE VERY SOON... Might actually start tearing it down this afternoon....

I wanted to know if anyone has a quick link/name of store for:

a. Diff Breathers for purchase and extension kits you recommend

b. You've all seen the con-ferr(most of you)... what would be the best 'bottom' for it? I've looked at a couple stores, and I'll go back.. but I want to do something like a 1" Box Grate type bottom.... maybe 1/8" link coated with something? Anyone know where is a good place to get that stuff?
Old 08-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Diff breathers, ey? A barbed coupler, some hose of the right diameter, and a small engine fuel filter (or the breather that is removed from the diff) at the end of the hose routed to a nice high location....done!

The part number for the threaded barbed union (I think that's what Toyota calls it) is around here in various threads.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-06-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
I use a rubber floor mat (Lowes) for my rack, but there's a lot more support bars on the Thule. Maybe search on expedition portal for the fiberglass grid stuff people like to make sand ladders out of?

Dif breather info:
http://www.sonoransteel.com/includes...ther_Parts.pdf

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...html#Breathers
Old 08-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Hab for posting up those threads for Chef. They are the ones I was thinking of and did not have the time to find at that time.

Chef, your project list just keeps growing!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon
Diff breathers, ey? A barbed coupler, some hose of the right diameter, and a small engine fuel filter (or the breather that is removed from the diff) at the end of the hose routed to a nice high location....done!

The part number for the threaded barbed union (I think that's what Toyota calls it) is around here in various threads.
Thanks, I'll check around I just thought someone who did that might read that and throw me the shopping list! hahaha. I think Irab did it(Ian)... Brian too(Swimmerboy2012)... and maybe RBX and Toyo too? Anyway, I'll find the part numbers and all that... and likely find more in that link Hab tossed up! WOOT! haha..

Originally Posted by habanero
I use a rubber floor mat (Lowes) for my rack, but there's a lot more support bars on the Thule. Maybe search on expedition portal for the fiberglass grid stuff people like to make sand ladders out of?

Dif breather info:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...html#Breathers
GREAT IDEA on the floor mats thingymadoerhickymajobber!!!! My cage floor is 60x42"... Curious... hmmmmm..Can't remember how costly they get above a certain size... but it wasn't too cheap, lol... Still, THAT'S GREAT thinking... And Maybe a lil thinner than the kitchen type.. But you KWIMean, right? You got the kind I've used in Kitchens for years, right? Holes in it, etc.?

And THANKS FOR THE BREATHERS CHEAP TRICKS AND PART STUFF'S THINGY:hug: You rock, Sassy Pants! hahaha. Actually... I am just messin, you know that right? I think Lysmachia is a bit more sassy, isn't she? hehehe. All I know is I ADMIRE YOUR SKILLS and Multi-Tasking and OBVIOUSLY the Horticultural Love!! And appreciate your helpful nature, very much

Originally Posted by rworegon
Thanks Hab for posting up those threads for Chef. They are the ones I was thinking of and did not have the time to find at that time.

Chef, your project list just keeps growing!
YES, HAB IS VERY KIND for doing that.... I especially appreciate the lack of "SEARCH, DORK!" postings, hahaha. I DO search, and share ALL that I find, with everyone I can find who needs help... But still..... I could have found that on my own, so I DO appreciate it! OH, and to be honest... Right now? ONE MORE SEARCH WITH MULTIPLE TABS OPEN AND I'MA THROW MY MONITOR ON THE LAWN AND JUMP ON IT! hahaha.. Ok, I'll fess up... if I did that it would only be cuz I'm on an OLDDDDDDDDDD AS DIRT Samsung Syncmaster 915N... I KNOW, EH? hahaha. Think it's time I treat myself... I don't do that much

YEP, the list keeps growing... And I DO eventually get to it all. Most things I've taken on, aside from ''DD NEEDS TO BE ON THE ROAD NOW" projects, like Motor rebuild, etc., ... they take me a bit longer to get to.. but I get to them, ya know? I WILL be doing, soon.......

1. Roof Rack System
2. CV Boot Repair Kit(unless I find a FUBAR'd CV spot in there? lol)...
3. Diff Breathers
4. TRYING To find this thread where the 10" Sub was installed in the wall behind the roll bar in a home made panel.... I'M TOTALLY COOL with a home made panel.. I have original ones in pristine condition I can put in..But for now, mine have holes in them where the guy put 6x9's. Maybe it was RBX.. I'll find it. Most of those things are in 'BUILD' threads of people I know on here.. So it takes LOTS more searching, it seems, haha.
5. Aisin Hub Resto... And when I do the CV repair, I'll like to slap those on... AND i need to probably have my Rotor turned on the left(probably should do both ) .....BTW, they're fairly new, the Rotors.

And there's around 10 other things I have to get to.. but I think the CV's and Aisin/+/ Rotor turning is priority, right?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-06-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amazingly nissan makes the extended diff breathers that screw right into your stock diff breather location no tapping or anything, someone on here has the part numbers just cant remeber his name, white first gen pickup he got from his uncle, located in tennessee, can remevber is name for the life of me
Old 08-07-2012, 12:24 AM

mark, 83toyota88 was the one with the breather from nissan, just didnt mention part number, might just wanna shoot him a pm?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:30 AM

Thanks, Josh.. I commented on his thread. I'll try to shoot him a PM, sure. Thanks for checking into that, buddy, appreciated

I'm sure there's like 40000000000 threads on it, ... I'd just never looked into it too deeply.. And lately, all the searching got me crosseyed! haha.

Take care, man...

Mark
Old 08-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Here is what I used to extend my diff breather, you might come up with a different cover. The nozzle is off of a 22re Plenum. Perfect fit. Had to look it up on my 86 Runner, got me to missing it.

I dont know of Costcos gas, but I do pay attention to where I get my gas from. I do believe there differences in qualit of gas.

22re Plenum fitting, 3/8th fuel line and the axle vent. I did use hose clamps but posted the pic to get the idea across. I ran it up to my gas tank which is higher then any water I will ever go thru. I have seen it ran up the rear tail light like habs link shows. Also it should work for the front diff and will eventually run mine up the fire wall or something similar.

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-07-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Guys, the part numbers for the diff breathers that you speak of are on the Sonoran Steel link I put up. He's got part numbers, pictures and thread pitch plus barb size.

Chef, my rubber mat is the sort you use in the kitchen but my Thule has more bars across the bottom than your Con-Fer, I think. Any large unsupported areas and there'd be massive sag- onto your roof. What about that plastic corrugated stuff like they use in the post office containers? Ok, that might be too light and not weight bearing enough.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:30 AM

Thanks, Terry, Hab, all y'all! It's always fun to check in and see what's going on, haha....

I'll look into every method, but I like having everything good'2'go from one place and then just clicking 'COMPLETE ORDER' hahaha... But we'll see. I don't have any plenum ports like that, Terry.... Mine was sure clogged when I pulled it for cleaning though, WOW! lol.

Also wanted to mention....

I've read like 3 times on the hub resto(think it's 4x4wire.com)... And it's just SO CONFUSING on the portion where you reinstall the 'spring and retainer' together again. It's 3 coil levels, compressed... and when I reassembled the first one I tore apart, it seemed more flush than the one I've not broken down as much is looking. The one I've not touched/not separated from the spring retainer, ..it looks cockeyed and kinda popping out the top? I'll get pics to show what I mean. I think I got it, I just have to grease it up to make sure the dial is gonna glide fine in the cover, ya know? Gotta order a cover gasket and o-ring, too. (for good maintenance factor )

BTW, I HATE THE NEW PARTS CLEANING CRAP! I miss my big jar of the ORIGINAL "Gerry"! GRRRRR! I swear, ...I spray this new stuff on and it's like BRAKE CLEANER, PERIOD! Stinks like it, dries in half a second like it.... but it does NOT CLEAN LIKE PARTS CLEANER SHOULD! ARG! hehehe.

I just loved those original large cans with the tray... I know they still have can's with tray of Gerry.. but it's NOT THE SAME, TRUST ME! EPA laws, etc. ANYWAY, I would drop 26 year CAKED IN HARDENED HEAT AND COLD CYCLED GREASE/CARBON - bolts in there... and WOW, IN JUST A FEW HOURS.... wipe off and like new! Even in the beginning of my build I was using that same can still.

VERY UNHAPPY with the new ones I've used... Gonna try to find a can on CL or Ebay Maybe a 30Gal drum? hahaha.. .Anyone want some? hehehe.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:16 PM

Hab, Terry, etc., ....

Just wanna know I have this right........

For now, find a proper barb to go into the diff, then fasten a 1/4" or whatever barb I use fuel or vacuum line to the top of it and a hose clamp(I actually have some spares of those REALLY GOOD Toyota ones that you compress to loosen.. The kind that get high pressure all the time on the coolant lines, etc.... Instead of screw-tight hose clamps... I prefer them, because I've stripped those screws when they've rusted out or too much electrolysis or something... And the clamping ones ALWAYS work if you use the right size.... I have several spares from Pick-Your-Part)

.....Then; I could just use my existing breather attached on the end of some 1/4" Fuel Line or other strong vacuum line that wouldn't hate Gear oil residue... Then run up the hose to either the tail light housing or fuel tank or tire carrier housing... And mount the hose with a U-fastener or something(I'd figure something out).... ..... And I would have to use another clamp on the Breather threading end, right? (Is this what you were saying, Terry, that it's a lil difficult to get the clamp to stay on the threaded portion of the breather that you're mounting up higher?)

Not a big deal, guys... I wont be wheeling for a couple weeks, maybe more.. So I'm just getting it all figured out so I can do it and have it DONE... Front and rear, of course.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I like the worm type clamps my self, I can get them really tight. I would suggest fuel line as it is more solid and less likely to collapse under a vacuum and will resist the fuel acid.

For rust removal, I am going to get me a 55 gallon drum and cut it down and then get some molasses from a feed store. Found several things on Youtube for that, it is a slow process, but for some things I am in no hurry and will last along time. If you have a tank big enough, it shows them doing whole car bodies and is safe to dispose of when done. It does get yucky but a rinse with the water hose and parts look clean from several of the videos I have found.

For small parts, I have a 5 gallon bucket that I keep oil,gas, brake fluid, ect in and have thrown some things in there to let soak and break up the build up. When it gets to nasty, I have some family members that are always burning brush and use it to get the fires going. I know you dont have that option but this works great for me. Alot of the new cleaners just are weak due to EPA.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 PM

I FOUND MY OLD COMBINED 'GUNK' AND 'GERRY' parts cleaner can! Gonna "cheesecloth" filter it, tomorrow, but today, it worked fine! WAY better than that new crap, Terry... NO CRAP! hahaha.

After finding it, I used it to clean up these to the finish and ready for regreasing... SPOTLESS inside and 'ALMOST SPOTLESS' out, hehehe(gotta clean up the body without getting any debris/cleaners inside there).....

So whatcha think? >>>

Before; (See the bag of bolts/cone washers? The INSIDE OF THESE HUBS WERE WORSE! haha... Hay, FIPG, ... lots of crap in there that didn't belong......

After;

********* PS> YES, btw, I notice the lil bit of build up/cRust on the clutch on the left... I'ma hit it with a wire brush on my drill... But it's grease free, and DAYUM was that one bad... BTW, this one was exposed... at the gasket or something... cuz the thing HAD to have gotten water in there to have any rust like that, on the springs and carrier, clutch, etc, right????? Anyway, I'll get it clean! PROMISE! haha. OH, and that lil more rusty one? IT'S THE ONE THAT DIDN'T HAVE THE BALL! Also, ...the spring in there? WAY more difficult to get out than it should have been... I soaked it for 3 days and it's now pretty clean, slides out easily when I test fitted it. And THE NEW BALL BEARING WORKED! It fits perfectly! So I think for around 25$, max..... not a bad deal, right? They cleaned up ok

********* PSS> Just wanted to add that I dabbed the lettering on the dial and cover with dielectric grease... IT should come back to it's silvery bling, no problem. Just wanted to wait til they're FULLY dry and then take my dremmel with the proper bit to it They came out pretty good... I'm happy.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-07-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:07 PM

Nice gonna have to bring you along for my axle rebuild. I could use a clean freak like you to help me out hahahha
Old 08-07-2012, 10:48 PM

YOU LIKE? hahaha... You're gonna have to restore your hubs as well, homie! lol....

SURE I will help you! You know that.. long as I have time.

I'm happy so far with this hub refresh! I can't believe, to this second, he gave me such a deal, man! VERY grateful!
Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Looking good. Some reason I never would of thought of using bottles for supporting things. Great idea.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:15 PM

Thanks, Terry! That means a lot from a Resto-Pro like yourself! hahaha.. And glad you liked the Bottle Improv... Just came to me as I was holding them, lol. helped in getting the sides of the covers/black portion. Nice thick double coat... should work fine
Old 08-08-2012, 12:25 AM

hey mark the hubs look great! need to do that to mine really badly, on another note here are the part numbers for those breaheres, he said they were around 10$ or so for the pair! good luck! 38323-C6010
Old 08-08-2012, 04:36 AM

Hey mark finally found a few mins to catch up on your thread, hubs look great need to clean mine up to. Diff breather mod shouldn't be a big deal thats another thing I need to get done. Anyway just wanted to drop by and say hey.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread