86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll take a spring hanger if u are trying to find someone to give it a home. After all that is one of the pieces in my list of missing SAS parts to get. Hehehee
Old 08-04-2012, 01:14 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, Ed, ...THANK YOU! You didn't have to do that! hahahaha.. Most guys would have left it up to razz me, hehehe.

Did any of it make sense to you though? lol... I WISH can't trump "I CAN'T right now", ya know? hahaha.. BUT I WILL, in my case, has always led to it getting done... Just takes me a bit longer than some, as I don't have much free time.. But I try, right?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
I'll take a spring hanger if u are trying to find someone to give it a home. After all that is one of the pieces in my list of missing SAS parts to get. Hehehee
WOW, man... that's just sneaky! hahaha. JK. I guess sneaky woulda been to 'PM" him.... Wait, .. you didn't did you? haha.

I would actually LOVE to do that.... But it's a hard choice between that and a few other things first. That expense would just hit me pretty hard ATM... Both my daughters hit me up this month..and FORTUNATELY, i had it! hahaha.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:07 AM

No i didnt PM him...... He Pm'd me. lol jk
Old 08-04-2012, 09:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wow, Ed, ...THANK YOU! You didn't have to do that! hahahaha.. Most guys would have left it up to razz me, hehehe.

Did any of it make sense to you though? lol... I WISH can't trump "I CAN'T right now", ya know? hahaha.. BUT I WILL, in my case, has always led to it getting done... Just takes me a bit longer than some, as I don't have much free time.. But I try, right?
Ha, ha, hey Mark, I thought about leaving it just to razz ya, but figured you edited for a reason, and didn't want to clutter up your thread, lol!

I understand where you're coming from tho, my project isn't even finished yet and I already would like to start another, more stockish project, lol. ( I saw a nice white 84' 4 runner ,22r, 5 spd, on CL I would love to get if $$$ wasn't a factor, lol) I would really like to buy fixer uppers to turn around and sell to fund my projects, (like Terry does) but I think my wife would leave me, lol! I know what your saying though, just like you i dont plan on ever parting with my current 4 runner, unless it was to hand it down to one of my kids, but I think its part of the " yota bug" always dreaming of the next project, lol. I saw this pic of a FJ 45 pickup that was built in the style of a early 30's Ford " Ratrod" pickup, and I just fell in love with the looks of it, I swear I will build one someday! Lol. Hope you don't mind, but I gotta post a pic to show you what I'm talking about, lol...

Anyway, I hope you get the free time to start another project, or do that engine swap, or SAS, (or finish that Confer roofrack project, lol joking!) If you're able to do it with your tight schedule, then maybe there's still hope for me to be able to start another someday, lol!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 AM

Omg ed that truck is beautiful. Wow. Very nice.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I tried a little thinking of your gremlin and still no ideas. Sometimes the major problems are so much easier to deal with, head gasket, replacing motor...Urghh!!!Atleast you know what those are.

Sometimes I like to scan Arizona, New Mexico and California Craigslist just to see what is out there. I seen a nice little 85 Runner in San Diego a while back for cheap. It was white. I come across something like that again I will let you know.

I missed a 85 SR5 Runner for $500 a couple of years ago by a day or so. Still kicking myself in the butt. Needed a motor. Last month there were 3 good deals on trucks out this way but I got my hands full so had to let them go. But I was told where two 1st gen runners are so am keeping them in the back of my mind. One will pop up when you are ready for it. Just dont give up.

That is a neat little rat rod. Never would of thought of something like that.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:07 PM

THANKS, Terry.... Great points/testimony of what you see/deal with/miss out on! haha. I could have grabbed several by now.. But just have to find a lil more time freed up, so that way I can get them fixed up faster. Getting tired of waiting, because I'm starting to see less and less available that are worth it(people are HIGH what they ask for, simply because something is SFA EFI, etc. I told one guy, ..."It's not EFI, it's EF'N DEAD!" LOL.

YEAH, ... I'd thought I'd had it worked out to where we were going to get some help for my Stepfather, free me up a bit(and we will, eventually)... But that fell through.... Still workin on it though Wish his family would help... But that's just not likely to happen after 9 months of NOTHING! haha...

Update to some extent in a few... Uploading video/pics
Old 08-04-2012, 10:50 PM

UPDATE with Video.....

I got quite a bit done today, yet much of it was UNDOING and then REDOING a bunch of crap! haha...

1. I had to strip down the side rails again, the ones for the Con-Ferr/alternate Mounting that's going on my 4Runner. They were blistering/wrinkling... Not sure why, ... some kind of reaction to the powdercoating? It was odd. Anyway, stripped it down to Aluminum and got the primer on... Will paint em AGAIN tomorrow.. Then they will be ready...

2. I figured out how I'm going to mount the Side Rails. These tabs carry 2 bolts that lock in the bottom of the two top/bottom channels of the rails... Front and rear will be anchored through the roof with 2 bolts on each end... And then Aluminum plate on the inside and nutserts going up and into the plates(I saw nutserts with Torque-bit holes in the middle bottom end, so I can tighten each of them and make them more flush with the aluminum plate. The plate will also be covered with formed vinyl with velcro to hold it there and a lil padding. These are the anchors that slide up and down on the bottom of two guides/ top and bottom...

Here's an example of how the side rails will be mounted to the roof... The rails have 2 separate channels, like I said... top and bottom... They'll obviously go in the bottom and through the roof, through a platform of WIDER aluminum or something to help disperse weight...

3. I then did a TON of cleaning in my garage and storage/work room... No pics really. But I can get some if you want? haha. Organized much, including separating spare Yota parts from the yard... Shocked how much I have.... bolts, nuts, spare electrical and mechanical, etc.... Very productive day all in all.....

4. Tested CV's at full droop/Steering at full stuff both ways, etc., .... NO BINDING that I could find. They turn with the front end jacked up and in full droop as smooth as butter. IN CASE you can't see or hear video, I found that my CV boots ARE IN FACT OLD AND CRACKING LIKE A 100K MILE TIRE! haha... So its' no wonder that it tore. And in fact, in the video, I point out how the Driver side outer CV boot is RIGHT ABOUT TO tear.... Here's the video...

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-04-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:55 AM

Just watched your video. Looks like ur gonna have to do the driver side cv bushings too huh. man. One question, since both of my bushings are ripped will anything extremely bad happen to my truck if i left them like that? Considering im going to be getting the sfa and dont wanna spend $$$ on something that im gonna replace.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:46 AM

If I were you and was going to wheel a few times before I SAS'd.... I'd DEFINITELY slap some of those 50$ CV's in there from your girls Uncle? If not, then meh... It's likely not concerning to you, as you're not gonna use that stuff... I've seen people go another 10K with a decent amount of wheeling without blowing that stuff up. It's really hit and miss. Yours are VERY busted on both sides.... So just depends on how much you'll wheel it, Richard, ya know?

I would personally want to sell the entire IFS set up, minus what you need to keep, when I go SAS.... And 50$ CV's? Well, it's likely to get you more for the set up if they're not blown booted on both sides, lol. BUT, some might differ in opinion.... I just think it's a waste of money/time if you're NOT going to wheel it a bit before SAS. If SAS is a year away, and you DO plan to wheel a bit more before then? Yeah, ... I'd just slap in your Uncles CV's and call it a day... I do honestly think you could get more, for sure, if it was in tact. Something was up in your front end... Even rolling back, once you'd roll forward, you wouldn't lock back in with your Auto Locking Hubs/front end spinning at all... So I'm not sure if the CV's aren't toast anyhow/or maybe the Hubs/or something in the diff? But no matter... as those will all be going bye-bye! haha.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Chef, the boots on my 95.5 were dry rotted the same as your driver side. Glad I rebooted them when I did. Have fun!
Old 08-05-2012, 03:17 PM

Here's a video for "Blower Motor Resistor Replacement" ;

OH, and the link to 4Crawler(Roger)'s Blower Motor and Resistor Cheap tricks..... In case you're lazy and still putting it off! hahaha.....

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Blower.shtml

I also finished.... AGAIN, my Side Rails for the Roof Rack... So now all the hardware is prepped, which is not a bad thing, right? haha....

Old 08-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oooooo shiney side rails...

I had the same bogging issue sat. after I put [what I think may be] some dirty gas in my tank... added some more clean fuel from another station and a can of gas line anti freeze [to disperse any water not for temp. it was around 36C... 41+with humidex] and the problem cleared it self up... had a similar issue with gas from this place in the winter... seems to show up when station tank is getting low just before they get a delivery...
might be you got some dirty fuel along the way... try adding some gas from a dif. place and a can of water dispersant... might clear it up...
Old 08-05-2012, 10:36 PM

HOLY CRAPOLI, PAUL.... you might be onto something, sir! You know, I JUST CAN'T be sure on the time... Gonna have to read back and see when this all started. BUT, I recently filled up............. AT, ...'DUN-DUN-DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN'....... COSTCO! hahaa. I think as I pulled in, I was waiting to see if it would do that when I restarted... So now that I think about it, as I REMEMBER, ....it's probably not Costco's fault, haha. NEVER had a problem there before, while I KNOW, I know.... "I heard tings!" HAHAHA.

Hmmmmmmm, ..... I'll read back anyway... But it's just so odd that it's only on RESTART and ONLY when FULLY WARM. Ya know? Wouldn't bad gas do that ALL the time, even on cold starts?
Old 08-05-2012, 10:51 PM

marrrkkkkkk!!!! hey buddy! havent stopped by in awhile so i figured it was time, let me know what you find the gremlin of the bogging problem as my 86 does the same thing, im begining to think its the begining stages of a fuel pump, if im driving down the road itll bogg down quite a bit, throw the clutch in, iddle rough, neutral, (while coasting) shut the motor off and imedealy restart it, it goes away, ive done fuel filter, drain the tank, reg works fine, etc etc, cant seem to find it, as for the tranny sqeual problem, craigslist, find a 200$ tranny, throw her in there!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:14 PM

OK, ......... Paul, and whomever it might concern(I know, I know... it's the least of your concerns, guys, i get it! ).....

My first post regarding this "Bogging Down to 500RPM and wanting to stall, then correct itself/ Only doing it when fully warm and upon RESTART, not when cold"..... the first post on this was August 1st, 2012..... But in that post on both threads I stated>>>>>>>>>

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
QUESTIONS(pertaining to a new 'gremlinS' JUST INSERT EVERY DISGUSTED SMILEY YOU CAN FIND! hehe....... )

1. Recently, when first starting the rig,..........
I just CAN'T remember, exactly, when this started... But I'm fairly sure it was AT LEAST a couple days before...maybe more... ...........

The reason "Maybe More" causes me eye rolls? Because I just went through my receipts for my last fill up, which was at Costco, as I said....

>>>> JULY 31ST! <<<<<<

And as I said, I seem to remember pulling in there and thinking, "I wonder if it's gonna bog down"... I almost always turn my rig off while in those lines for the pump at Costco.... But I can't be sure. GRR!

I guess I'll run this tank out... But it seems to be a LIL worse even... And I really HATE the idea of digging into the FSM over something that might be purely circumstantial to my fill up at Costco... And then again, it could be totally 'COINCIDENTAL'... Or one have nothing to do with the other.

.... Time will tell, I have a half tank still to waste! hahaa.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:53 AM

Pretty cool cheap trick. Never thought of that. I need to check mines out too.

I also like 6:38 on the video. Making some cool noise haha
Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by vang_22re
Pretty cool cheap trick. Never thought of that. I need to check mines out too.

I also like 6:38 on the video. Making some cool noise haha
HAHAHA, you like that "bubupbum, ...bumbup!" sound, eh?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:16 PM

HEY JOSH! .... THANKS FOR STOPPING IN .......

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-06-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread