86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
QUESTIONS(pertaining to a new 'gremlinS' JUST INSERT EVERY DISGUSTED SMILEY YOU CAN FIND! hehe....... )

1. Recently, when first starting the rig, even after warm(gonna make sure whether it's only doing it warm or also when cold).... >>> IT BOGS AND DROPS DOWN TO 500RPM or so, then comes back up on it's own and smooths out(DOES NOT seem to do it again while running on that 'started and running' cycle)..... I'm starting to suspect the charcoal canister or EVAP in some way.... OR, maybe VSV for Fuel Pressure Regulator... Or SOMETHING electrical. It seems too specific to 'RESTART' to be anything more constant like a Coil or IGN related stuff's... But could be the Charcoal Can because it is possibly not doing it's job of relieving pressure or returning fuel or something? I just don't know, ...any ideas?

2. When I hit 3500+ RPM coming up in any gear up to 3rd(more so in 1st or 2nd), I hear WHAT IS SO HARD TO EXPLAIN; Sounds like a high pressure steam leak combined with maybe a bearing noise( NOT SURE on the bearing noise... just that it's SOMETHING besides the 'hiccupy hissing' ). What I am thinking might be related, GUESSING really, is this; IF YOU RECALL, when I hit certain hills in 4LOW, when wheeling with my nephew or even with Redeth(Richard)..... as I hit those High RPM and it was held there, there was a SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELING coming from the engine bay... Sounded very much like a belt. I'm going to inspect the Idler Pulley/PS Pump Pulley/Alternator pulley...... It just seems strange to me that I can't seem to get that squeeeeeeling unless I have been in 4WD under load......... WTH? Richard heard it, maybe he can explain it from his perspective more?

Thanks, guys.... while I have lots I WANT to do... I DO NOT want to let the 'seemingly benign' things go, thinking "Meh, I'll get to it, not overheating/not losing charge/steering is fine......"...... YA KNOW?

Old 08-01-2012, 06:24 PM

' 4" Angle Grinder with Cutting Wheel, CHECK!'

' 3" Kobalt Socket Extension from Home Depot with rebate gift card/1.89$ on sale, CHECK!'

' Bench Vice, FREE from neighbor, 20#'er... CHECK!'

'HOLDING TOWEL OVER TOP OF SOCKET EXTENSION ....this time, while snapping off pre-cut extension end, CHECK!'

1.89$ and 5 Minutes later.........

I can't find my micrometer, ... but it seems nearly identical to me! If anything, it's .010 smaller... Which I'm not even sure of... So I think THIS ONE IS SUSSED!

As I said, VERY glad Wabbit has the ball and spring kit available.... Haven't checked the dealer just yet to find out if they carry it separately.... But I'm sure it's easily the 12$ Wabbit is asking, if they have it, for all 4 pieces... (Wabbit's site charges 10$ to ship that.... I'd sign a waver to wrap it all in tape in an envelope and put a stamp on it and slap it in the mailbox), ......but meh, nonetheless, I think this is gonna work

THANK YOU, rustED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (i THINK someone else mentioned it as well? If I missed giving credit to said additional contributor... I'LL EDIT! lol....)
Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ha, ha, that's sweet that it will work, and a cheap fix, can't beat 1.89, lol, and thanks for the honorable mention, but somebody somewhere on this great forum mentioned it, because I know I read it hear somewhere, lol, wish I had a photographic memory yeah know! Hope you figure out the low RPM and mysterious squeel, if its not one thing its another, lol.

Last edited by rustED; 08-01-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 PM

Thanks, Ed! haha... YEP, can't beat that with stick! Or as that Crooked Old Sicko in "Robocop" would say, ........'I'd buy THAT for a DOLLAR!" lol........

So, .............whatcha think on this swap prospect??????????>>>>>>>>>>

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/3136136039.html
Old 08-02-2012, 03:01 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
I have no idea what you would do with that motor. but holy hell and the overuse of keywords on that listing.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I know you checked your fuel return line to the tank, but what about the lines to the canister and some of the other lines? The fuel systems tend to get neglected over looked.

Good job on the ball bearing. Will be keeping that in mind. I would try the belt on the squeal, doesnt make since its not doing more often. Just incase a pulley bearing is going out, no need in replacing the whole pulley. Its not cheap. The bearing is 204-FF. Should work for your AC pulley bearing if you are suspecting it.

Link to my fix for it on post 46... https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...99/index2.html

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-02-2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found the "little #%$@ ball" in a carb rebuild kit I bought at NAPA.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
I have no idea what you would do with that motor. but holy hell and the overuse of keywords on that listing.
Jerry.... you wouldn't want to help me swap that beast into my Rubyota? haha. C'MONNNNNN! Yeah, ....some of them want ANY search to lead to them, eh?

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I know you checked your fuel return line to the tank, but what about the lines to the canister and some of the other lines? The fuel systems tend to get neglected over looked.

Good job on the ball bearing. Will be keeping that in mind. I would try the belt on the squeal, doesnt make since its not doing more often. Just incase a pulley bearing is going out, no need in replacing the whole pulley. Its not cheap. The bearing is 204-FF. Should work for your AC pulley bearing if you are suspecting it.

Link to my fix for it on post 46... https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...99/index2.html
THANKS, TERRY! Yeah, I'm doubting it's the pulley bearing unless the AC clutch is freezing up on sporadic occasions? I don't think so.. AC works flawlessly(aside from a lil cycling issue I need to adjust behind the glove box ) ...and the AC wasn't on either time I'd had that SQUEEEEEEEALING issue, lol...

The noise I hear at high RPM when climbing a hill or opening it up for the heck of it(35MPH+ in 2nd Gear I guess you could say)... THAT is when I hear that other noise(not sure if it and the squeal are related).... THE OTHER noise is like something rattling/high pitched rattle like a bearing in a paint can but much faster/ combined with almost a hissing sound.... And that sound is occuring in 2HIGH... The Squealing has been in 4LOW, ONLY.

Far as the bearing replacement idea... Yep,.... I've grabbed Japanese Bearings at Napa... Last time, I got one for the "Idler Pulley" and replaced it for 13$... They even helped me by giving me the seal install tool size. They mic'd the Bearing to be sure it was the right size, etc. COULD be that bearing is bad again... I can't know. But I just find it odd that it's only doing it in 4LOW where I'm under more load/higher RPM, ya know? This couldn't be an actual MAIN OR ROD bearing, RIGHT? hahaha... OR, since it was hot as hell on both occasions where it's happened... Could it be the Fan Clutch unable to keep up????? (HAVE NOOOOOOOOO overheating problems, not even in 105*F 4LOW wheeling, etc.... NO Engine Temp Alterations "lately" at all... And the first time it happened was on Fathers Day.... Last time was July ? with Richard(Redeth) in the Angeles Crest.

Thanks alot for pondering the difficult to discern via Computer, Terry, hehe... I know your time is limited and precious

Originally Posted by Resto-noob
I found the "little #%$@ ball" in a carb rebuild kit I bought at NAPA.
Ahhhh, yes, I remember those bearing balls from a Holley Double Pumper kit I got once, IIRC...

Hope you're well, RN!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:34 PM

So that little socket/bearing tricked worked huh? AWESOME. I lost my bearing last time I repacked the front bearings and never bothered replacing it. May have to use that trick when I instal the new suspension this month.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Ahhhh, yes, I remember those bearing balls from a Holley Double Pumper kit I got once, IIRC...

Hope you're well, RN!
Wonderful. Had lunch with the parents today! May swing back over to convince my dad to go fishing tomorrow.

On the Yota front, just looking for fuel line fittings to do some custom bending. (thanks, Jgood!) I really want to avoid buying all new lines for my project, but the dealer is my only other option. What was on there before may as well have been McDonalds straws and bubble gum, with a four inch section of rust every few feet or so...

Last edited by Resto-noob; 08-02-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
The squeal being in 4 lo is where the torque is really being applied. Do you think it could be in the clutch area?

At the higher RPMs, the rattle, do you think maybe your valves or lifters are floating? The little gremlins are hard to find.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Sorry chef, seems some of those gremlins got away from me. Bug the crap out of them every day, that seems to annoy them lots.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member

Hey chef
that little one is cute as a button...

no ideas as yet on your squuuueeeeeeaaaaal! lol... I get a belt slip squeal if I load her too hard off the line or trying to get out of the way... going to try some LPS Belt Dressing... let you know how it does...
Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
The squeal being in 4 lo is where the torque is really being applied. Do you think it could be in the clutch area?

At the higher RPMs, the rattle, do you think maybe your valves or lifters are floating? The little gremlins are hard to find.
Hey Terry, I am not sure if it could be the clutch area.... But the clutch is not applied during this squealing. And, the squealing has only occurred during 4Low 1st Gear climbs.... Once I get the CV's resto'd... I guess I can try it again up the hill on this lot, by just getting it up in RPM. Not sure that'll help me find it... but I tried, today, getting the RPM's up quite a bit climbing the hill up to my house, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, all 2WD Hi... couldn't get anything but that hissy/rattly/scratchy sound on occasion. Even that seems to be restricted to a certain RPM while climbing higher in RPMs. I tried a bit, also, to get up the RPM parked, listening for that noise... but ran out of time right when I was starting to try that and listen for that rattly thing. Starting to wonder if it's only while driving/drive line/clutch/trans related... Yeah..... The selective rattly thing... not so sure it's related to the 'squeal'... ugh. lol. Not sure on the valve thing, either... Things seem to be tight and pretty quiet for a 22RE, ya know? Never know though.

Originally Posted by habanero
Sorry chef, seems some of those gremlins got away from me. Bug the crap out of them every day, that seems to annoy them lots.
I hear ya, YotaSister! haha. I don't think they're intimidated by my bugging or even fits of rage any longer! hehe.

Originally Posted by aviator
Hey chef
that little one is cute as a button...

no ideas as yet on your squuuueeeeeeaaaaal! lol... I get a belt slip squeal if I load her too hard off the line or trying to get out of the way... going to try some LPS Belt Dressing... let you know how it does...
Hey Paul! Long time no speakiguwaiah! Thanks! She's a doll! Like I said, .... NO odd noises off the line... No squealing so far in anything but 4Low under MAX RPM push/load..... Just not sure what would cause that. HOWEVER: ...............

* LAST time I went wheeling, that's when I began to hear the strange scratchy sound when hitting certain RPM up high. BTW..... "Cat scratching a scratching post"... that's VERY much like what it sounds!

Thanks, guys.... I will be trying to look into a few things, soon, including the FREAKIN MISS-GREMLIN! I'll also really be needing to figure out why it's starting to idle down to 500rpm and chunky when 'restarting after fully warm'. Did NOT seem to do it at all when cold. Mainly when restarting. ??????????

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-03-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:00 PM

Thought I'd include a lil update on the 'BOGGING DOWN TO 500RPM and wanting to stall if I don't feather the gas' but then suddenly correcting itself... WHICH ONLY HAPPENS when fully warm AND RESTARTING IT after it's sat for a few'.... GREMLIN! haha

Today, I ran around quite a bit... Thought I'd try something out. So, when coming out of Del Amo Mall for a couple hours.... I bypassed the FPR-VSV..... DID NOT change or solve anything.

When arriving home, 10 miles later, I decided to turn off the motor, then restart it........ NO BOGGING DOWN! It only seems to do it when I've let it sit for a while...................

WTH? This seems REALLY familiar to me, even maybe within my library of 'personal vehicle drama/gremlin hunting'.

I can NOT stand for this nor take a 'for now' approach... My brain will rebel! hahaha.

So far, I think it's safe to say that EITHER the FPR is taking a dump on me and is somehow causing a symptom that doesn't really correlate with FPR Drama... Or it's SOMETHING ELSE! lol.

Next step will be CTS!
Old 08-03-2012, 08:15 PM

Hey Chef, I always see things in your thread about a someday sas.Would it get the ball rolling if sent ya a spring hanger? Or is it all talk and you are really just a closet IFS lover? lol
Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's the info i promised to send ya.

To any of you guys who are very picky on your CV axles.(chef) lol My Girlfriend's Uncle's Autoparts Store sells original CV axles REBUILT with original made in Japan parts.
I know some of you will be interested in this type of a deal. Anyway He sells each one for only $50. Comepletely rebuilt with new boot, bearings and grease.
For those of you who cant believe it or wanna say its a piece of crap deal; hey im not trying to start anything. If you wanna find out for yourselves give him a call and ask him yourself. All i know is that these guys are really honest and Extreamly helpful. They, and their mechanic, helped me with the entire rebuild process of my engine AND SOME! I just remember him telling me that the reason they're so cheap is because they're all rebuilt and because he's friends with the guy who rebuilds them so he buys them cheap and is able to sell them cheaper then other places. But he told me its the original Toyota CV's all the good "Made in Japan" stuff and not that cheap China stuff.

Anyway, For those of you guys who are interested in the deal or have questions for them here is the info to their store. LUCKY for you SoCal guys it is local for you. But for everyone else I believe they do ship. in case you are interested in that too. Any way here is the info right off the card:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Nayarit Auto Parts
Edgar Soltero ASE Certified
*Parts for Foreign and Comestic Cars*
*Quality Parts at Competitive Prices*
*Classic Mustang Restoration Parts*
4147 City Terrace Dr.
Los Angeles CA, 90063
(323)269-3115
Email: Nayarit_Autoparts@Yahoo.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Redeth005; 08-03-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by oneIwilly
Hey Chef, I always see things in your thread about a someday sas.Would it get the ball rolling if sent ya a spring hanger? Or is it all talk and you are really just a closet IFS lover? lol
Hahahaha... Honestly, I just about spat food all over my Monitor! lol.....

Here's the deal........

In short, I just don't know what I want more, FIRST!

An engine swap, SAS or maybe just grab another rig to work on/fix up. If I do an engine swap, I'll have this 22RE for a donor motor for an 85 4Runner or something with a blown motor/for cheap? I'd probably have that running sooner than the swap.... Simply cuz I don't have lots of time to do ANYTHING, even get away and wheel most often But I have more time to work on things here than I do wheel.. So what to choose, right?

(For now, I think I'll just repair my CV's, slap on those hubs and get her back to "OFF" road worthy..... And yes, fix my BOGGING DOWN TO 500RPM GREMLIN...THAT'S A PRIORITY AS WELL! THEN, I will make a decision, either way, as to what I want to do with this or maybe another rig )

It's not all talk, Willy... honest. I've come SO CLOSE to biting the bullet on ALL 3 of the above... Just haven't found the right amount of time/deal/etc., to get me started in any direction just yet. BUT I AM looking. I almost grabbed a 3RZ last week... But didn't mention it because another guy bought it out from under me around 30 minutes after it went up on CL, haha. 89K miles, CAR fax verifiable out of a Wreck, with FULL wiring harness for rig, 800$. In a way, I'm glad, as I'd like to do EVERY OUNCE of research I feel comfortable with before making WHICHEVER decision on whichever motor is the most practical/best mileage-to-power prospect... etc. I wanna have a FULLY DETAILED list of pro's and cons of that idea.... The SAS? Or building up an 85 or something? I know what I get outta that, plain and simple... So that doesn't need much research more than I've done. I have over 40 Links of very detailed SAS's, 20 or so of LT mods....Even found a few to help beef up what I have for now.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-03-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^ geez Mark, a simple yes or no for the spring hanger would have sufficed....baaahaaaahaaaha just joking!

Last edited by rustED; 08-03-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:00 PM

Hahahaa... I edited.... And SURE, I'LL TAKE A SPRING HANGER!!!! YES! hahaha.

Now that you've posted it in "quote" form... I guess it's stuck there unless you delete it, hahaha... but meh, s'all good. I just wanted to share that I'm NOT being indecisive for no good reason. I really, at this point in my life, have to think this out, ya know?

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread