86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heh he heh looks like we all got ripped boots. Both of mine are ripped too lol.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't watch the video. On phone. I removed the cv axle before knocking the studs out. I guess you could do it with cv installed but your gonna need a small punch which might mushroom the stud. When I did it. I took cv axle out. Reinstall the nut on stud till flush so I dont mushroom the stud thread area. BFH and they came out. If your not gonna reuse them than knock them out anyway you want. Just make sure the replacement bolt is of the same length
Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Terry, probably was a glitch over at Youtube.... Preferably not your sound card, hehe. Yeah, I don't wanna mushroom the stud like Toyo mentioned. I know that COULD happen... Less likely with a brass punch, but then the brass punch could mushroom on me too if they're gut'n'stuck, haha. We'll see... I don't mine trying on ONE if I can get the brass rod in there... Kind of a tight space, lol.

Richard.... aint it the truth, haha. I just hope my OEM-Orig. CV's are not needling replacement.... I'll find out when I get em out and apart, I suppose.

Toyo... I hear ya.... I was thinking to use my brass shaft that I have to knock em back.... I have a Gift Card for 20$ from Lowes.... Could use it for bolt replacements I guess. Kind of curious as to how it would work, as maybe it could help a yotatechie out in the future... I guess we'll see how much trouble I'm having getting them out w/the studs still on there, first. If the CV's look compromised at all, I have my buddy at the Auto Parts store holding on to some new replacements for me.

I just seemed to read so many comments/threads, where guys who went with aftermarket tore a few thereafter. Then again, I see a few saying the same about 'rebooting', so meh, it's all in the cards, I suppose, haha. The boot kit should be here within a couple days. Once I see it's shipped, I'll be grabbing the creeper and getting on at least that Passenger side one right away, so I'm ready/and so I don't have to waste more time down as it's my DD. I can use the CRV... but like most things, when I need it, it's needed that day... Like today, for instance! hahaha.

Thanks, guys.... Good heads up, Toyo... I will keep the mushroom cloud stud factor in mind, no doubt

PS> Toyo; Is that spline on the stud the entire length of the flange housing?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:09 PM

Yea the splines about the length of the flange housing.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beautiful 4 runner!

this is one awesome build! i love your 4runner, im a fan of the older toyota truck s then the new er ones so good job!
Old 07-30-2012, 02:45 PM

Hey Isaiah! Wusup? Good to see you making your way around on here!

I appreciate the compliments.... Thanks to guys like Toyo and Terry and 92 and XXXtreme and Flecker and toyospearo and maltese and yotarob2007 and rustED and RBX and Irab..........the list is endless.... I was able to get LOTS more done than I would have chosen too, thanks to them in large part! Sooooooo, same goes for you(regarding your starting that thread, etc., as discussed on Ed's thread....) Can't wait to see you get going, man... And like said, over there.... 'WE LOVE PICS!' hahaha.

Go ahead and post up your build link when you get one going, ok? (Post it here, I mean)... I would love to follow along and offer any advice/tips I can.

Enjoy the site!
Old 07-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Hey Guys

Well, ..... opened up the other hub and VOILA! "BALL AND SPRING" are there! ..... Spring is there on the first one I opened, and I finally got the spring out(it was really jammed up in there/covered in too much crap? Not sure, but definitely didn't wanna come out.)

Anyway, SAD, I have to order a ball and spring kit from Wabbit just for ONE BALL BEARING??????? Not to diss Wabbit... it's 12$ for both sides... But man, if I could just find the dimensions of this bearing ball and slap it in, I'd be good to go!

If anyone has a clue where I could get just one bearing ball for that... Lemme know. Otherwise, ... I'ma order that up before his FRIDAY13 13% off sale thingymajobber is over, ya know? haha.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
If anyone has a clue where I could get just one bearing ball for that... Lemme know. Otherwise, ... I'ma order that up before his FRIDAY13 13% off sale thingymajobber is over, ya know? haha.
Hey Mark, I read somewhere on this site that a guy removed the ball bearing from a 1/4" drive extension that he had laying around (probably a el-cheapo made in China one, not a nice expensive Snap-on, lol) but he said it was a perfect fit, and worked like a charm, might be worth a try if you got a cheap one laying around, ha ha.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Hey Mark, I read somewhere on this site that a guy removed the ball bearing from a 1/4" drive extension that he had laying around (probably a el-cheapo made in China one, not a nice expensive Snap-on, lol) but he said it was a perfect fit, and worked like a charm, might be worth a try if you got a cheap one laying around, ha ha.
Hahaha, that's exactly what my neighbor just said...

I have a few 1/4" drive's, shorty's, long ones, etc.... 4 I think. I could maybe part with one. You know how exactly he got it out of there?????? haha.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you mic the one you have and match it up to a ball bearing from those pull drawers at the parts/hardware store? I suppose the needed ball ball bearing could be some special hardness/temper though.

Last edited by rworegon; 07-30-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hahaha, that's exactly what my neighbor just said...

I have a few 1/4" drive's, shorty's, long ones, etc.... 4 I think. I could maybe part with one. You know how exactly he got it out of there?????? haha.
Lol, I don't remember him going into very much detail on how to remove it, he just said it was aprox the right size. I was wondering if you could stick a magnet to the bearing so as not to lose it when it comes out, and use a grinder and cuttoff wheel to slowly cut /grind around it to remove it...
Old 07-31-2012, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Lol..I almost lost the ball bearing you are talking about. Spent 15 minutes looking for it.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:44 PM

Hey Guys... I'ma call one more place, Nates Tools... HARD TO FIND store that get's nearly everything, ya know? BUT, still waiting for a call back.

I'd have to order a kit from Wabbit, which has 2 springs and 2 ball bearings... BUT, with shipping, it's over 20$ ........ IF I can't find them elsewhere... I guess I have no choice, ya know?
Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 PM

Well, ....Nate's Industrial Tools says 'NOPE!' ........ 'Call Motion Industries'...... Called them and they said, "NOPE, we'd have the whole bearing, but not the individual balls... i'm sure we could get a bearing with those same balls in there... But then what, you have to take it apart?"... Anyway, not looking promising, lol. Take a look at my socket wrenches when I leave to run errands/fill up with Gas... Then I'll probably just order the dang set from Wabbit and start over with all of them new...... ??? Not in a huge hurry... and saving 13% is great, and it would really help on something bigger... But just the bearings? 1.38$ or something it was... So, I'll try today and see, haha. Bottom line,...THANK GOODNESS THAT WABBIT DOES carry those! HAHAHA
Old 07-31-2012, 06:14 PM

try the dealership
Old 08-01-2012, 12:54 AM

Hey Toyo,

Yeah.... I might, lol... My buddy works parts and get's me 20%(I actually have an account... But it winds up being around 10% more than online prices? haha...) S'all good, ...... I'll get it sussed one way or another........

WHICH BRINGS ME TO....... The Great Bearing Ball Hunt! hahaha..

Today, I took my grinder to a cheaper 1/4" drive extension.... As I got the thing shaved away enough to snap off the housing and get the bearing out and "PACHINGGGGGGGGG', like a CG Disney Movie with something flying around off things, haahaha... Yeah, it actually is under tremendous pressure in there with that tiny lil spring in the extensions... BUT, I had another and was going to get started (WITH TAPE KEEPING IT IN THERE THIS TIME! lol) ...when my daughter called from down the street to bring my Granddaughter up! WOOT! Was a great time, pics, etc., .... hung out while I worked for around 3 hours, baking/prepping, etc. Gotta tell you, guys....... If you have daughters, ALWAYS make sure they feel that they can talk to you about anything..... Because otherwise they wont! And while she's a new mom and there's stress, etc., etc. going on... Not all cherries and flowers talk..., what a great reward in life than to know that your kids can confide in you about the good and hard things... And that they appreciate your advice! No greater gift than the Love of Family, ya feel me?

Tomorrow, I'll move on to FAR less important things... but still important, nonetheless, right? hehe.... I had a look at the balls next to each other(one that I actually ground into, compromising it)... and they are NEARLY identical in diameter. I think it will work. I'll letcha all know when I get one out that doesn't go flying

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-01-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:17 AM

3 of my 4 favorite ladies!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, this is what it's all about, guys! CHILLIN! ...

Old 08-01-2012, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Kid is growing quick. She doesnt look worried about life at all. Probably doesnt seem possible your daughter was that young at one time. Enjoy it while you can.

Glad to hear the ball bearing may work out for you.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Kid is growing quick. She doesnt look worried about life at all. Probably doesnt seem possible your daughter was that young at one time. Enjoy it while you can.

Glad to hear the ball bearing may work out for you.
She sure is, Terry! Smiling when tickled on the nose, etc., now, already! hahaha. And YES, it was just yesterday, TOTALLY, that I was getting up at night and throwing her first Bday party, etc, etc.!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:51 AM

Thanks on the Bearing Ball thingymadoerhickymajobber! haha....

Gonna try today, we'll see. Have to lightly grease it, reassemble that portion and see if it holds/turns nicely!

UPDATE;

www.toyotapartszone.com is FAST! 36 Hours from ordering, yesterday the doorbell rang.... "Here's your Toyota stuff, Mark"........ The boot kit is here! Just need to the time to tear it down and get it installed. HOPING there is no CV damage... But can always find spare ones at Pick-your-Part.... Already jacked up for me, lol. We'll see, but I'm looking forward to getting this done and then getting on with the roof rack project

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread