86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV joints

Looking really good Chef.Remember what I said about wanting to trade for a topless runner.I cannot even begin to say that I know anything about cv joints.I do however have experience with autoparts stores.In my experience if you buy anything with a lifetime warranty, from schucks or whatever they call themselves, you will get to use it.Now if you dont mind doing the work, its a decent deal.Stock parts speak for themselves as far as durability (its a yota duhhhh).Now to make that foot feel better.My best friend since childhood, just finished a bob, dovetail 85 shortbox.Other than the body mods it got a 22re,besides that stock with nice bumpers.2000$ paint job.He rolled it the other day, 7 times.He was being chased by the pierce county sheriffs at over 100mph lol.Hes ok execept for the place hes in now (jail) and his perfect in almost every way truck being destroyed.Pray for Derik.Hows that foot feeling now Chef.......Feels pretty good now huh?ha ha ha
Old 07-25-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ wow thats so sad to hear. They should have at least auctioned the truck. But damn DONT DESTROY IT!
Old 07-25-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Redeth005
^^^ wow thats so sad to hear. They should have at least auctioned the truck. But damn DONT DESTROY IT!
Member those pics of my wrecked one? Even though I didn't cause the wreck... Even though I was in a coma for days.............. Even though I was able to get there from the hospital within a month.... The yard said, "900$, roughly... Either come up with that or it's gone"....... The girl that worked there was SO PISSED for me, and at this TOOL! When I came in with my ex whom gave me a ride(along with my 2 daughters), the same lady teared up a lil bit, asking, "Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss", ..... and my ex said, "What? Loss?" The lady went on, "Yeah, was he your husband, brother?"......... She said, "He's right here", and the lady was LITERALLY turning white in front of me! hahah... We walked up to it and my daughters had a total break down... I HAD NO IDEA it looked like that! And then my ex started weeping... She realized that I dropped them off just hours before that, Fathers Day! ....... All I got out of it, since they only let you grab things not bolted down, was my 6x9's in the boxes(YES, THEY WERE STILL THERE) along with my toolbox, etc.! All were strapped down, but not bolted. I started to unscrew the amp with the ex holding me up, but the guy ran out and started throwing me TONS of attitude, ''NO TOOLS until you pay and it hits the parking lot! IN FACT, not in the lot either.. Tow it home, man!" There were TONS of parts on it, including the LCE Stage 2 motor(PO had put it in...160HP I was getting out of that thing! 100MPH! ) ... the Downey Header, the brake upgrade stuffs, rear axle, COUPLE tires(lol)...4.56 Gears and rear locker......some interior stuffs (although there was TONS of tiny glass shards all over it)... BRAND NEWLY REBUILT R151F, ..... but I just couldn't come up with the money at the time.... Had just paid off a HUGE debt, etc..... VERY painful to know that they likely just crushed it! ......Bye-bye, Blanca... I miss you!!!!! ............

I don't want to remember you like this..........

JK, I don't REALLY speak in the third person or in full on emotional conversations with inanimate objects, precious to me or not, hahahaa... But yes, IT HURT! But hey, got my "Ruby" to replace Blanca for 1700$! Not bad, ....and Hey, I LIVED, so I figured, "WHY NOT, track record proven, baby!" haha....
Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero

the color of the fan clashes.

Mark...hiya.

holy hell on the pic of the old 4runner. ya just don't live after damage like that. you are a blessed man.

OK...back in my hole.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:42 PM

Here we go! Talk about being bored lol!
Gonna need more fans....
Is that enough fans?

Last edited by Redeth005; 07-25-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:49 PM

Damn Mark how old were your kids when this all happened?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:57 PM

Im pretty sur there wasnt muxh left of Deriks truck.It was white too.Think ill stay away from white.Damn
Old 07-25-2012, 04:58 PM

Jerry, .... AMEN! I am VERY grateful that I lived.... It' truly changed my perspective on LOTS, including how I treat others/how quickly I react to drama and crises.... MUCH MORE! Every breath is precious, NO DOUBT! And, I also find it VERY important to remmber to never measure God's grace by my circumstances! Thanks very much for stopping by, Jerry!

Richard,...that pic made me CRACK UP! hahaha.... Hab is gonna have to come back and match/beat that one now.... Unless I scared her off? haha. And yes,DAYUMMMMMM! indeed! And, it was Fathers Day, 2002, so they were 12 and 10!!! Can you imagine? I don't think I would have ever recovered from that grief! Anything can be turned into something good.... even terrible loss... But WOW, man... I REALLY think more of how incredibly blessed I am for the circumstances, THAT VERY NIGHT, to have turned out that way! My ex needed them home for some government aid appt. the next day... And I WAS TICKED! But hey, guess I should always remember that there is ALWAYS something bigger than me behind the scenes, right? Doesn't work out that way in many cases for many people.... Believe me, I'M GRATEFUL ON ALL COUNTS, and even my pain at times IMMEDIATELY or shortly after occurring that 'FORGET PAIN, BOTH MYSELF AND MY KIDS COULD BE GONE!'
Old 07-25-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
the color of the fan clashes.

Mark...hiya.

holy hell on the pic of the old 4runner. ya just don't live after damage like that. you are a blessed man.

OK...back in my hole.
As a matter of fact, Jerry.... The lead RN at ER that day...... HE, TOO, turned almost white when I came to for apparently 10 seconds or so! He JUMPED, I remember it... Then immediately grabbed a paper('do you have a will' stuff's and/or probably the waiver ).... asked me, "Do you have a will?", and then I FREAKED OUT, momentarily, asking, "why, what's wrong"(that's what he told me when he visited my room later, when I came to)..... He said, "I honestly have seen worse, but I TOTALLY thought you were gone, man..... VERY glad to see you're gonna be ok!"

Yep, all in all... 32 Broken bones later, fractured skull included, coma, TONS of blood loss, 1.5 collapsed lungs, quickly filling with blood(being upside down was DEFINITELY a part of what saved me, said they!).... I'M QUITE THE PHENOMENON, I'm pretty sure! hahaha.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:10 PM

sheesh.

what a story!

I've seen worse too, but they are usually deceased.

glad you aren't.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:11 PM

Well yea. That was a pretty quick edit i did on the flying 4runner. If i still had my photoshop program on the computer i would have literally edited and blended in the rear end to a space rocket to the rear of your truck with jet wings and some helicopter wing thing-a-mah-jigs on the top of your truck. but i dont so thats the best i could do
Old 07-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Redeth =
Awesome. I was laughing so hard everybody else showed up to see why, then we were all laughing and my kid ran off to build it in legos.

Chef, sad to see a good truck go but better to be able to miss and reminisce than not. Glad we get to enjoy your presence.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:28 PM

Redeth =
Awesome. I was laughing so hard everybody else showed up to see why, then we were all laughing and my kid ran off to build it in legos.

Chef, sad to see a good truck go but better to be able to miss and reminisce than not. Glad we get to enjoy your presence.

gonna hold ya to it.....post up a pic
Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you where closer. i would help you do those axle boots. they are not hard but when i 1st started doing them. i was kinda scared as well but now i do them with no problems, i have lots of practice at work lol
Old 07-26-2012, 02:27 PM

Where can i get some of these fans for my truck?

Last edited by vang_22re; 07-26-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:55 PM

sheesh.

what a story!

I've seen worse too, but they are usually deceased.

glad you aren't.
THANKS, MAN! I'm glad good people who CARE about others were in charge over me when I DID nearly die a total of 3 times!

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Well yea. That was a pretty quick edit i did on the flying 4runner. If i still had my photoshop program on the computer i would have literally edited and blended in the rear end to a space rocket to the rear of your truck with jet wings and some helicopter wing thing-a-mah-jigs on the top of your truck. but i dont so thats the best i could do
SAD FACE MY ARSE! THAT ROCKED! hahaha... I cracked up for 5 minutes, off and on! hahaha... It's a GREAT THING to have an imagination and sense of humor, Richard... and whether perfect or not, compared to what you're capable off.... >>> FOR A JOKE? .....S'ALL GOOD! lol... VERY funny, and Hab's already had me laughing! I knew some more stuff would pop up on that, and THANK GOODNESS... It was a good, funny, clean joke! I LAUGHED HARD! Thanks

Redeth =

Thanks, Hab.... You're a GEM! I hope to meet a great woman of the outdoors/family momma/hard worker like you to share my own journey with! I MEAN THAT! (I know, you're probably giggling and thinking, "HAH, he doesn't have to live with me... Ask my hubby, he'll tell ya.... I can be a PITA!"... right? HAHAHAHA! PS> I'M NOT assuming YOU ARE a PITA, lol...... I'm assuming you're as humble as I think you are, and you feel the NEED TO SAY THAT, that's all, hahaha. ..............Ok, I'll shut it now... I want Hab to return!

gonna hold ya to it.....post up a pic
That would be great! I LOVE how small of a world it is, ya know? Makes being on the internet SO MUCH MORE worth it to me, the 'personal' stuff, ya know? NOT THAT PERSONAL, you know what I mean! hehe.

Originally Posted by vang_22re
Where can i get some of these fans for my truck?

I know, seriously! haha... That would be my way to win a million dollar bet against BigMike and all of them on a "MY IFS TRUCK COULD BEAT YOU TO THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN BY 2 HOURS!" BET! Just wait til the race get's started, then slap on the Hunter-Fairhaven FAN-MOD and SMOKE EM! hahaha. It's a bit heavy... so I think a 300" span might have to be in order, eh? Maybe a V12 engine to power them... BUT STILL, IT COULD BE DONE, RIGHT?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:14 PM

PERFECT TIMING ON THE NEW PAGE! hahaha...

OK, so, I'ma carry over Toyo's post..........

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
if you where closer. i would help you do those axle boots. they are not hard but when i 1st started doing them. i was kinda scared as well but now i do them with no problems, i have lots of practice at work lol
I WOULD LOVE to have your help, or heck, just ship em to ya! haahaha... NO, honestly, I'm not really that intimidated, not any more than I have been with most anything I'm doing for the first time.. Just a lil iffy about 'the clamps for the boots'.... I've read over and over how it's a "SPECIAL TOOL", lol. And also read, "Yes, it's doable, but the PITA factor is just one thing.. The other? NOT KNOWING FOR SURE, til it's too late, whether you got the 'clips' just right on the boot ends.... MESSY!" I can see why lots choose to just slap in replacement CV's, whole... In fact, I was talking to RW about maybe grabbing a lifetime warranty set just for now, then taking my time cleaning up/rebooting mine, maybe even adding Porsche Inner CV's and all new boots, etc., etc..........

I'm going to jack it up tomorrow and test, as best as i can, for any binding/clicking of the CV's... if I hear anything that obvious with even driveway tests... well, then I might have my mind at least partially made up for me, eh? haha...

Tomorrow, I'm also going to be having some time to prep and paint the side rails for the roof rack. The paint on them isn't so bad, and they aren't TOO much for show... but I can't stomach just putting them up like they are. Not with the con-ferr cage all painted pretty well. I just CAN'T! hahaha. But Primer and paint shouldn't take but tomorrow, along with some testing of the front end stuffs, looking for slop/binding, etc. I think what happened with my CV was just a unique circumstance in full steering stuff in that rock garden, combined with the boots being 25 years old and never touched, ya know? BUT WE'LL SEE! I've wheeled this thing harder than that, many times, along with 5 other IFS rigs... NEVER tore a boot... So ..........happenstance? I just know it rides like a Cadillac Out there! I also know this has to be done, one way or the other, before I can stomach wheeling it again. I just DON'T NEED a fix bad enough to risk even further damage....BUT I WANNA BE OUT THERE AS OFTEN AND SOON AS I CAN!!!!.... So I wanna get it fixed, trust me!

IF I find no binding/drama, and the CV's seem to be ok......IOW- "IT'S JUST THE ONE BOOT"... Then I'll likely just order two new outer OEM boots, ... then take the time to clean em up and slap the new ones on.

IF I DO find drama up there..... I have to make a decision where to purchase full CV's..... Again, I keep hearing that O'reilly chain is the only one with the dust shields on there... That Autozone doesn't put them on. BUT, that was over a year ago... maybe that's changed? To be honest, I've never read on a single 'repair' on here where there wasn't dissension about "use this one", "NO THAT ONE"... But this one takes the cake. ALMOST EVERY POST was in disagreement over which one, "O'reilly", "Napa", "AutoZone" is the best... BUT, I think AutoZone was the only one where the "reman's" are Lifetime Guarantee... So that factors in as well. I hear that most remans are more likely to be OEM CV's that are rebuilt... where as new are NO WAY going to be OEM originals. There is also the choice of having Toyota Restore them... that's around 150$ per side, IIRC. Maybe they just swap yours in as cores and give you others? I'll have to look into it, depending on what I find, tomorrow.....
Old 07-26-2012, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a complete boot kit *inner and outer* iirc, in order to remove the outer boot the inner boot has to come off. sure you can reuse the boot but not the clamps. depending on clamps. sure you can get just the clamps but you have to find the "right" size. best to have a complete kit with clamps, boots, and grease. oh dont ask me which grease goes into which boot because i dont know lol. the toyota boot kits come with two different grease packages and i never could figure it out

since you have manual hubs, the front axles dont need to be spotless or even have all the grease removed. just the best you can. your not running 4wd all the time

you kinda need special tools. depending on which kit you get and which clamps you use will determine which tool needed to install the clamps. gonna need some snap ring pliers for sure. if your using a toyota boot kit, your gonna need atleast two types of clamping tools
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...32-143815018-2
http://www.sears.com/lisle-lis30500-...77S4581099301P

oh if you just by cv axles, check o reilly and try to buy the NEW ones, these dont have cores so you can keep the oem ones which i highly suggest doing

Last edited by ToyoTech559; 07-26-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:47 AM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Freakin computers, I'm telling you! Had thoroughly answered you, ... went to drag a link over here, and ONCE AGAIN, "Firefox Crash Report"... along with what seems to be a REALLY BAD "Flash Player Plug in" problem I've been having........ GRRRRRRRRR!

OK, so anyway, hahaha..........

I hear ya, totally! Yes, I've read those run downs on the procedure, and I especially like the one with all the pics, etc., from the dude who does the boots when they tear, rather than replacing the CV's... (Posted it on the last page... And due to the FLASH CRASHES I'm having, lol... I'll just letcha go look if ya want, haha)..... I read that, nearly first thing, where he says, "You must remove the inner boot to remove the outer".... I haven't read all the way through just yet, so I wont pretend that makes sense when the outer boot is right off the hub.. But anywhooooo, I'll find it. I'm thorough, Toyo, I'll be sure to do it cleanly/properly and with the right grease, etc., when I do eventually repair those.

HOWEVER, Yes, since I would like to have an extra set... I will grab some Guaranteed for Life CV's, either 'REMAN' or 'NEW', as you said. (ONLY reason I was debating new or reman'd is because somewhat of a Guru on a thread said, "The reman's are superior, because they're often using the OEM CV's you're returning... Where the NEW are made by Dorman, Duralast, etc., etc.... from their own castings of God knows what.. And then to top that, the CV Joint on the 'NEW' are different than OEM.. The OEM Bearings on the joints are triangular... where the OE NEW from Napa, at least, were Flat and round.... The 'NEW' joint bearings bind, click away and can tear boots more easily.... Not sure why they did them that way, but they did"... I'll find the post if I can and post it here)... Bcuz, while I'LL NEVER HAVE 100% PROVEN ANSWERS to everything,... I'd LIKE TO try and help others, looking into this, to know 'what they'll get, where and what's the best chance of having a 'auto parts store product' that will last a bit longer'..... Then I'll make a CONCISE list/post at the end, with all I've found.

For instance... like I'd said about Kragen(O'reilly's now, or Shucks).. A guy had done this search, like myself, and being more experienced than myself at this, he noticed that the AutoZone ones didn't require a core on the reman'd(is this true? I'll find out)... but they also didn't have the dust boot(I'll look at the diagrams in the links I posted for the 'FSM Instructions for changing boots' thread, the one with the comments disabled)... Apparently, according to this guy, it's a dust boot that can not just be 'added' without tearing the boots off again.. So he returned the CV's to AutoZone, went to Pick-your-part, grabbed 2 CV's for 30$ or something, and traded them as cores for the "Lifetime Guarantee- O'Reilly's Reman'd CV's", rather than using the AutoZone ones that he'd have to disassemble in order to put in the dust boots which are 18$ at the dealer(??).

This brings me to the "REMOVE THE STUDS AND REPLACE WITH BOLTS" portion. If I'm going to bring CV"s with me, on trips... I might as well do this right the first time, in every way I can, to make it easier as well, while out on the trail, RIGHT? I've read that the studs should be knocked out with a drift and BFH(most common method, apparently) or with a Vice and 17mm Deep Socket...... BUT THEN, I kept reading "You ONLY NEED TO KNOCK OUT 2 STUDS".... Why would this be? I mean, I'm sure it's not CAKE to knock the studs out... So if it's practical, sure... But does this even make sense??????? I would think the flange would still bind up on the remaining studs.. no?

I will be cleaning up the Aisin Hubs........... Try to post pictures, although there are so many threads on that, it's seemingly redundant... But why not, I suppose. I like pics, too, so I get it! haha.

LAST THING;

When I did my new ROTORS AND CALIPERS, I also replaced all the bearings and races with OEM KOYO Bearings....... I believe I did a good job, and this was less than 15K miles ago, IIRC... So I wouldn't need to mess with all that while doing this job, even for preventative maintenance, correct? I will DEFINITELY pull them and repack/inspect, etc., if the general consensus is that it'd be wise, lol... I have bearing grease packing kit, etc., etc. ... I just wanna see whatcha all think as to whether I should or not. And come to think of it.. I am pretty sure that my driver side rotor, the new one, at some point got 'warped'.... So if I have to pull it... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh(sigh) hahaha.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:59 AM

OK, apparently.. this all took place, the Napa Premium Rotors, Napa Altrom Calipers(need to double check for the receipt)... and Warn Premium hubs I got FOR A STEAL off my buddy at 4WP... Around May 2009..... I THINK! haha... The picture upload date is 5/30/09... But that doesn't mean I TOOK it then. I will look up my miles in May 2009 when I did that smog and see how many miles it's been since I did the bearings/packed em with grease, etc.............

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-27-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread