86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Repair Related Posts;

Thought I'd throw up this helpful link for Richard/ANYONE who needs it! (if someone already did, sorry, not trying to take credit! hahahaa.... Wabbit threw it to me on his Friday the 13th 13% off Sale thread! )

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autohub/

Also, I had this discussion with Abecedarian(and a bit from rbmoomba) on 'Randes' transmission troubles thread....... Just thought I'd throw it up here for reference and to maybe get some thought from those more apt with Trans issues? Specifically W56 issues. >>>>>>>>>> I WANNA GET THIS 'MORE PRACTICAL STUFF/FIX LIST DONE!!!>>>>

Originally Posted by abecedarian
The purpose of the synchros is to act like an intermediate gear as your shifting- they slow down the input shaft and accelerate the output shaft as you're shifting gears so that the "real" gears are spinning at the appropriate speeds to let them mesh cleanly. In general, you should expect around 1/4 second for the gears to change speeds to they mesh when shifting normally- really... press the clutch down and when it hits the floor then you start to shift and you start pulling the lever and it engages and the clutch comes up takes less than 1/4 second?

A simple test of synchros is to take off from a dead stop then work through the gears without the clutch.
You have to rev the engine up high enough so that you have enough time to move the lever to the next gear before the engine speed drops below what's necessary for the gears to mesh.
So, when it's time to shift, let off the gas pedal then move the shift lever and hold constant but not heavy pressure on the shift lever for the next gear. If the shift lever moves to the next gear without grinding, the synchros aren't completely gone. If it grinds going in to that gear, there's a problem.

I should add that a driver familiar with their vehicle should be able to upshift and downshift without using the clutch.... Ask the truckers about that.
ABE! hahaha..... OK, so I was heading down to pick up some cooking gear.... .when suddenly I remembered this post. Took me a while to find it, but then remembered 'randes' thread is where this came up. Anywhoooooooooo;

1. I dry shifted into 3rd and 4th..... both times it went into gear without TONS of resistance/no grinding. Seems to grind worse with the clutch at times!

2. I KNOW this problem has something to do with 4th, in particular... As I mentioned, the thing USED to pop out of 4th after I'd let someone drive it on the trail while I drove their rig out w/no 4WD as it brokededed, haha.... At some point, he said he hit the bottom hard... I couldn't see anything. BUT, later, as I started to have a whirling noise and drama with the trans.... I realized upon further inspection that the Trans Drain Bolt/housing had been hit/loosened(?)/something.... Cuz it was leaking as I put a small amount of fluid in. Replaced the bolt with OEM and voila, no more leak... BUT, drama ever since with 4th! SO, short story version; IT RAN OUT OF GEAR OIL at one point, nearly empty, and since then has been a problem!

3. Considering #1 and #2, ....what do you think, JUST GUESS, might be my problem in there? (REMEMBER, when this started, then draining and flushing and filling it.... it was previously POPPING OUT of 4th... Even did so for a while after, all on it's own. AFTER the fill, it seemed to work ok for around 60K or so.... Suddenly, just around 10K or so ago.... 4th Gear is giving me drama GOING INTO 4th... But never pops out. Just doesn't wanna go in, especially with the clutch being used).

PS>>>>>>>>>> SHIFTER BUSHINGS FROM MARLIN ARE NEW, nice and tight!

Originally Posted by rbmoomba
Probably an input shaft bearing if 4th gear is good. I had some horrible noises in all gears except 4th. The shop that does my rebuilds only works on manuals and (in my opinion) is cheap. $400 for a complete rebuild and they are super reliable and fast. I use pennzoil synchromesh libricants which is supposed to work well with the (?brass?) synchros
Interesting on the Synchromesh, thanks. I'll look into that, depending on what I do(But since I might not even have a 4th Gear Synchro any longer.... Might wait until I rebuilt, etc.) Figured I'd ask this question to you as well, considering you seem to know a bit about trans'stuff's?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-23-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ooo thanks for he link that explains why my 4wd kept coming out of 4x4. Dang. Auto sucks balls!
Well I have a set of manual locking hubs on the solid axle I have at home. I'm sure I could use those for the mean time. Just need to swap them out with each other and it should be ok right? Then I can just swap them back onto the solid axle after o do my SAS.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Ooo thanks for he link that explains why my 4wd kept coming out of 4x4. Dang. Auto sucks balls!
Well I have a set of manual locking hubs on the solid axle I have at home. I'm sure I could use those for the mean time. Just need to swap them out with each other and it should be ok right? Then I can just swap them back onto the solid axle after o do my SAS.
Yeah, remember when I was pointing that out on the diagram on your glove box, when you were getting stuck on that hill? "Roll backward to disengage from 4WD" etc., etc.... And, no, as far as I know, you can't use SFA locking hubs on an IFS set up. Maybe there's a kit, if you can't? If not, you can use the Warns, like I said... NOTHING wrong with them, and they've served me greatly for years, as you saw for yourself, right?

Wabbit has a bunch of info on this on his site, www.wabfab.org .......

Either way, we'll getcha 'locked' up there, buddy
Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
SFA hubs space the rotor to close for the caliper to be used in its stock form.
Nice rack chef, mount it yet... Haha.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark, you place a fan on the runner, looks great but it's to low for me....maybe you can fly above that california traffic ......lol
Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
"What do you mean these red pants dont go with this green shirt?"
they call that christmas

You got a lot of good stuff from the thrift store! Gotta love those places. We only got one that i really like here. Super low prices and good stuff "sometimes" haha
Old 07-23-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by RBX
SFA hubs space the rotor to close for the caliper to be used in its stock form.
Nice rack chef, mount it yet... Haha.
HAHAHA is right! haha... Actually, it's 'wah-wah-wahhhhhh', ... nah, s'all good... It'll get there, just have to be patient for a time window big enough to knock it out over a couple days of spare time here and there. BUT, other stuff to do first. I actually finished painting it, today, FINALLY! haha... (had to flip it and do the bottom side, AFTER the top part of the mounting rails had dried NEARLY completely! haha... It's ok if those spots have a couple flaws... it'll be hidden, anyway, meh! hehe. Gonna post some pics, updates in a minute, just wanted to answer you guys

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Mark, you place a fan on the runner, looks great but it's to low for me....maybe you can fly above that california traffic ......lol
The fan looks great but is too low for you? Can't be what you mean, it's Low Profile Mounted, hahaha... LOVE the fan, PERIOD, .... but I don't think it's strong enough to get the 4Runner Airborne! ... but WOW would that be nice to fly over traffic....... Yet, then again, I can't get the 'FEEL' of driving her when she's up in the air, can I? OH, maybe I'll FLY to the Mountains... THEN drive her? GREAT PLAN! ORDERING ANOTHER FAN RIGHT NOW! haha.

Originally Posted by vang_22re
they call that christmas

You got a lot of good stuff from the thrift store! Gotta love those places. We only got one that i really like here. Super low prices and good stuff "sometimes" haha
SOMETIMES is right! haha... But EVERY OTHER TIME? Sure, there's always something... just have to be disciplined, or you end up walking out of there and calling a buddy cuz everything can't fit into your rig! IMPULSE BUYS,.... RUN AWAY when that feeling hits ya! hehe. There's 10 Goodwill's within 20 miles of here, EASY! That's not mentioning Salvation Army.. Many of those as well
Old 07-23-2012, 11:07 PM

Productive Day today........

While I didn't get ALL the things I would like to have gotten to, finished, I did get quite a bit done that I've not had time to even touch!

Not TOO long ago, I got a box from a member here, shipped, for 100$.... This was the contents! >>>>>>>

YEP, you heard me right! hahaha... I don't always get blessed like that, but I have, thanks, AGAIN, to other members like Yotarob2005, etc., etc..... And HOPEFULLY, many here feel that I've "Paid it Forward" as often as I can, hands on or "with a needed part" VERY grateful for this deal, Mr.ArmyAnt.... YOU'RE A CLASS DUDE, and didn't make me wait. I wanted his W56, some doors, etc., as well.. Unfortunately, I don't live closer, or I'd have just grabbed the whole rig.....He needed it GONE, that day or sooner, lol... So he had to sell the whole thing(I'm sure for less than he COULD have asked... Another ) haha...

I also got a couple more things done, but I have to do another video for most of it.......

1. I did get the Cage Fully Painted, FINALLY! hahaha....

2. I also installed an "OH CRAP" handle, like the passenger has, from a 92 4Runner, on the Driver side... WOOT, .... Love having that handle there, as I take LONG drives and I like to have different places besides the scalding hot window sill to rest my arm! Hehehe.... And, to help get in, etc. I wasn't sure, but after pulling the ceiling edge molding back and peeling the headliner a lil bit back.... I saw 2 threaded holes! So one time at the Pick-Your-Part..... I snaggled me one! haha... Installed and ready for some "OH CRAP" moments

3. I also installed a 2nd Gen 4Runner Dome Light assembly in my roof. It took a tiny cut and bend back ,.....but it fit. NOT sure why, but the same bulb, in this thing, seems BRIGHTER! Might seem a lil hotter, too... so Im'a have to fish a lil further into that one. WOW, I'm not kidding.... it's DEFINITELY brighter! I wish I had equiptment to do an accurate portrayal 'video presentation' of how bright the dome actually is with a VERY clean and plastic polished lense... new Bulb in it!

4. I also pulled the Deck Light(the lil one by the rear roll bar), and cleaned the cover and reflectors inside really well... HOLY CRAPOLI X 2.... Again, it's NOT a really bright light... but it's DEFINITELY brighter than it was by 2X's....

5. While at it, I also removed and cleaned the "Door Marker Lights"(red on top and white on bottom/warning lights for cars coming and for lighting up the floor of your rig to aid in getting in/aid the passenger as well. New bulbs and clean covers and AGAIN, WOW!

6. Installed the Driver side Power mirror that I showed above, and after a lil tweaking with the mounts and screws for tightening inside... HOLY SMACKEREL... that thing is SOLID, will not vibrate any more! VERY stoked about that! (I LOVE the power mirrors... I like them all, power or not.....But it's so much nicer when I'm up no a steep incline sideways and need to peep downward more, etc.... I don't have to lean over and adjust my mirrors. Also on the freeway, or canyon driving, etc., etc. .. It's come in handy for me MANY times. I know they're not for everyone, but I AM VERY happy with that "option"... obviously, or I wouldn't have found a new to me/working one without any broken mounting pieces inside, making it loose... LIKE I HAD! hahaha... YEP, I'm a fan! But I get that many aren't... Totally get it.

I will be trying some LED bulbs from another company that's supposedly reputable but that sells to corporations by the thousands... so they'll sell 4 or so at a time of the same type bulb as superbrightled's for around 2$, rather than 7.50$ at superbrightled's. Same thing with the 'panel w/universal festoons'.... I want to try a few out at that cheaper price/same or more lumens in some cases... Just to see if they have a wide enough 'spread' of light... I'll be trying one out in the rear on the washer wiper motor cover in the rear(to keep the head down on that plastic cover)...and>> doing a 4crawler cheap trick delete of the "Aux lights must be on to use deck lamp", STUPID flaw they have.... Not sure about you, but when I'M CAMPING, sleepy, back in the back... I DO NOT like having to reach up, so I have portable LED push lights.... AND, with getting out... I also want to "hot" wire the back window from a hidden switch, somewhere, so I can ALWAYS get out when back there sleeping... MANY times that's happened to me.

Anyway, thanks for checking in... I'll have a video of the

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-23-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by vang_22re
they call that christmas

LOL...We only have one good one around here. I just get the 3 per pack pocketed T shirts and blue jeans. Works great for me.

The thing I miss about electric mirrors is you could always deflect the headlights from behind you down from eyes. One day that is an upgrade I would like to try and do.

Was installing the handle on the drivers side just a bolt in? Never checked to see if the mounting holes were there.

I good cleaning on light covers makes a difference, sometimes the small things that dont cost any thing can make some big changes. Just a little time.

Your rack turned out nice.

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-23-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:41 AM

Nice man. Looks like u had your work cut out for you yesterday. And BTW, You have a very nice rack on you! Lol
And when u talk about using warns did u mean for me to use yours till my sas is done? I'm sorry im horrible at understanding what people mean when they write sometimes lol just sounded to me that thats what u were implying. If not its cool I understand I caj always grab some off another truck.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
I am bored.

Waiting for the cable guy, drinking too much coffee (is there such a thing?), liking your work and messing with your head.

Good Morning!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 AM

LMAO!!! ^^^ wtf.... seeing the picture just gave me a mental picture of Marks 4runner getting stuck going up a hill in an off raod trip and then him saying "Screw This" *click*(flip on the fans) "See ya suckers* and fly up to the top lol
Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Redeth005
LMAO!!! ^^^ wtf.... seeing the picture just gave me a mental picture of Marks 4runner getting stuck going up a hill in an off raod trip and then him saying "Screw This" *click*(flip on the fans) "See ya suckers* and fly up to the top lol
I actually LOL'd! That was the exact thing I thought of when I saw it.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Gonna need more fans....
Old 07-24-2012, 11:59 AM

HUGE FAN, Hab! (BUT THEN, ....I already was haaha)

Wow, that just had me laughing so loudly that I scared the boss! hahaha. It echo's in the kitchen! Wow, I was wondering when someone would catch that "FAN" commentary and make a joke or something, haha... Redeth made me laugh too... "Screw this, I'm outta here!" hahahahaha.... I could try to do a video with some editing, with me following up some SUPER-SAS'monsters, Like ScottyC's.... and as he's heading up and I get to a spot where I have to go around...I JUST FLY OVER HIM, SHOUTING, "I'ma get you, sucka!" ....then drop water balloons on them all, in honor of "Road Warrior"! hahaha. Just made my day, Hab/guys!

I like that second one, Hab... at least how it matches... but not so much compared to the Red I suppose... And while black looks pretty good on some.... I just CAN'T DO IT, too hot where I like to go/camp, etc. ya know? HOLY CRAPOLI that cracked me up.... and I'm still sporting a semi-smile, haha.

Hey Richard, .... Yeah, it was a bit of work piled in and added onto 'regular' work, hahaha... But hey, IT'LL NEVER GET DONE If I don't just push myself with a few 20hour days, ya know?

AND YES, Of COURSE I was speaking of you using them in the meantime, buddy! That's what I was speaking of in reference to 'PAY IT FORWARD'..... DON'T be skimpy with stuff you aren't using/lend a hand HANDS ON when you can, etc.! Ya know?

I will be planning to do my CV boot repair, soon..... I would order the stuff you need, asap, and have it ready for 'that day', ya know? It's gonna take a bit of time, but only cuz of dealing with the grease and the factor of "I'm swapping hubs".... But then that shouldn't take much time at all, ya know? HUBS SHOULD be cake... as long as everything in regards to 'inner parts' is there. This guy was solid, and I doubt he lost anything or he'd have told me, hahaha. I'ma tear em down soon and clean em all up for paint/regreasing and then assembly! WOOT!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
LOL...We only have one good one around here. I just get the 3 per pack pocketed T shirts and blue jeans. Works great for me.

The thing I miss about electric mirrors is you could always deflect the headlights from behind you down from eyes. One day that is an upgrade I would like to try and do.

Was installing the handle on the drivers side just a bolt in? Never checked to see if the mounting holes were there.

I good cleaning on light covers makes a difference, sometimes the small things that dont cost any thing can make some big changes. Just a little time.

Your rack turned out nice.
YES, I love the 'HEY, BUTTHEAD, YOU'RE BLINDING ME WITH YOUR LASER BEAM BLUE EURO LIGHTS!!!!' FACTOR, HAHAHAA... I also like to be able to turn them downward when cruising through a creek or something offroad, ...then realizing I've slid off to the side a lil.... and also to not have to roll down the windows and reach over to adjust for LONG highway trips in 118*F heat! hahaha. I understand people not wanting to deal with them... But I LOVE having that extra feature... Just have to keep these pristine, mechanically... The other one got hit by a motor cycle and STILL WORKED! lol... But it just wobbled too much, ya know? I couldn't see on trips. I had figured that out with a lil rubber wedge... But wanted to fix em. Luckily they're breakaways/either way/ cuz that guy would have taken it OFF the rig, otherwise... 40mph and the glass didn't break, too!

YES, installing the handle was BOLT IN! Just lil perf's for the machine bolts.... then VOILA! I LOVE it, already used it to hold on and get up and inspect something on my side of the roof.... Nothing to hold on to on the driver side, other than the piller, etc., and I DON"T LIKE TO DO THAT! hahaha... Trim breaks, etc... so having the handle will help with that, too. But MOSTLY, for trips! I love having a handle there in my BMW..... Just hold on for a couple dozen miles, then switch the arm to the door, then back to that, then lap, etc., ya know? hahaha. Hey, 800Miles can wreak havoc on the limbs! That's why I did my CUSTOM CONSOLE LID! LOVE THAT FREAKING THING!

Thanks on the rack compliment, Terry.... I wish I'd had you to paint it,...but I don't, so I did my best, ya know?

I'm curious how to find out if this 2nd Gen Dome light unit pulls more power, even with the same bulb?(is that even possible?) Cuz it seems to get hotter than my original! ME NO LIKEY THAT! lol. It's not burning me, but too hot indeed! And I'm NOT KIDDING... it IS brighter. I was using it last night..... Seems to be a different recess or something? Anyway, I'll figure something out... but for now, IT WORKS, AND i wont lose the switch lever! STUPID DESIGN THEY HAD!

OH, I have to install that blower motor resistor... Gotta look into that install too.....i'm sure it's not brain surgery, just never looked into it other than to get the right part, ya know? hahaha. I would LOVE to fix that cable for the "HOT/COLD" adjuster.... but WOW, I REALLY have no clue on that one, and I also have heard that you have to tear the dash half out to replace it? MEH, if that's the case.... I can lean over and pull the gate open/get out and push the heater control valve either way hahaha.

OHHHHHHH, that's another thing.... I have a 2nd Gen heater control valve, ... and I need to put it in(the valves are plastic on those and hardly ever break! They also are EASY to move open or closed. Maybe this would help keep my HOT/COLD cable from getting worse? My buddy told me how to mount it, and how I can't remember, ..... I'll include it in the video I do today showing what I did, yesterday, etc. THANKS, GUYS!
Old 07-24-2012, 02:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
BOOKMARK!

Wilmington yard now posting vehicle inventory info....

http://www.lkqselfserve.com/location...n-261/recents/
Old 07-24-2012, 04:42 PM

WOW, FINALLY, right Grego?????? I tell ya.... I've been less and less happy with those yards... They don't seem to get ANY First Gen 4Runners anymore, and I am starting to believe that "The guy from Egypt is buying them allllllllll and sending them home" theory! I know they go 'whole' and 'fast' all the time, .........even without the 'ambiguous Egyptian'....... BUT STILL! hahahaha.

A skip over to OC for you is 'VOILA', ...for me it's another 30 minutes, ya know? GRRR! (but happy for you hahaha)
Old 07-25-2012, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I will have to chase down some grab handles. They would come in handy. I do think those bulbs can get dangerously hot. I dont like to leave them on for long periods of time.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:28 AM

LIL LIST of links, etc..... ;

EDIT: (ADDING one important one); http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...d/hub_rebuild/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...toyotas-81059/

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/cv_axle/ (I know it's for 3rd Gen, but some tips in there that apply)

http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota...e-options.html

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autohub/

http://toyota.off-road.com/trucks-4x...cks-18458.html

http://www.redlinemotive.com/store/r...tion=000337867

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/198..._assembly.html

http://www.jcwhitney.com/cv-drive-ax...2166y1987g12j1

******* And just for fun/to look at on occasion and remind myself of the other 2k+$ INVOLVED in FINISHING the job, hahaha....>>>>

http://www.addictedoffroad.com/index...q3ftv30is431l3

Quite a few threads I've bookmarked as well regarding 'upgrading', SAS, LT, Heim joint steering ends, TRE's(including upgrades), and more, but for now, I'll abstain from posting them as I just want to get back on the OFF-road for now and; More family crises have popped up, including my youngest daughter is doing well but really struggling on her own/ Mom and her hubby are REALLY struggling and can't really afford much in the way of Assistance at their home(which means I'll not get AS MUCH extra free time as I'd hoped, just yet... But we're working on something that should get them clear and more worry free through the rest of their days)/....... And, my foot? HOLY SMACK ME WITH A BIG FREAKIN HAMMER ON TOP OF MY FOOT.... ; Fairly sure I have either extensor tendonitis or tarsal tendonitis or POSSIBLY, dorsal compression syndrome(not sure, as I have a fairly good arch.... but it could be flattening, causing pain in the upper which is similar to the aforementioned conditions.) IT IS EXCRUCIATING, guys.... And this is the second time in as many months that I remember mentioning it(?). ANY extension of the arch or pressure on the balls of the foot(seems to be more the right) and I YELP and can nearly fall down if I can't get all my weight on the left, quickly.

^^^ This all will likely slow me down, but I don't see any reason I can't get the CV's replaced for now w/a lifetime guarantee and then slip boots onto my OEM ones(if they're in great shape) with the help of my machinist buddy(who has the tool to get the boot retainer clips on properly... I've read up and apparently it can be a bit of a bear, making the CV boot, along with other factors therein, often MORE work than just swapping out with replacement CV's.

^^^ Regarding "REPLACEMENT CV'S" .... Does anyone know which are VERY solid replacements/Which are more like pot metal, made in a lean-to-shack in China? I know KRAGEN(Now renamed as O'reilly and Shucks) used to carry "MOOG" parts on this stuff.... I know because I got my Moog Idler Arm there, just 3 years ago I've read that O'reilly has the dust shield there while the AutoZone one does not... And I've also been reading that SOME auto parts stores seem to be selling remans that are 'OEM' axles, rebuilt, because the 'guru's' can tell that the axle joint bearings are triangular, like OEM, not flattened/round?(they're saying that certain aftermarket ones cause more binding than the others, which appear to be more OEM/Or actually OEM's that are reman'd??????????? AHHHHHHHHHHHH (PS> I AM NOT resigned to I'M DOING THE WHOLE AXLE replacement, as I've heard the 'boot' job is hard! hahahaa.... As I said, IF, and only IF I just swap out the CV's as a whole, I'll be keeping my core's and re'doing them with OEM Boots, etc., like RW posted. BUT, I might just do the boots, period, and forget the WHOLE CV replacement thingymadoers! hahaha.)

Just noting other stuff for the heck of it.... ;

* CV Boots(Check for binding/see if shims are needed)Or replace with whole CV's for now due to time and take my time rebuilding the OEM CV's if they're un-compromised

* Clean up, paint and have Hubs ready for install

* Breather Extensions(Where?)

* Call about Leaf Pack and hardware

* Install AC/HEAT blower motor Resistor

* Order Bass Knob

* Call about Trans

* Find 15x8 3.75 backspacing(?)Outlaw2, FOR GOSH SAKE!!!! hahaha.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-29-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread