86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:58 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
Remove the 4 bolts on the lower arm and move the hub out of the way
Trippy... cuz I'm having a block on how exactly I pulled the entire front assembly/axles for the 4.30 swap/tube exchange(other than dropping it from the crossmember/unbolting the outer 6 bolts).... As I dropped the front diff/etc., I remember getting a very decent angle out of the shafts...OH, yeah, that was to pull the pan.... But it wasn't that difficult to just remove the entire front axle/tube removed from the diff, when swapping out front ends(Yotarob's didn't come with the front tube.. His buddy needed that and grabbed it before it got shipped to me, lol.... Hmmmm.....

But I could see the aforementioned getting in the way if just pulling the CV's... Toyo's plan sounds solid/practical and WILL work...IT WILL I TELL YOU! haha. Best wishes, Terry!
Old 07-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Mark.. I had to remove the upper ball joint and the sway bar link to get mine replaced. There has to be a better way but that was the only way that I could get mine done. It just wouldnt clear the lower control arm. It is to bad to do it that way if you have to go that route.

To get the shaft out. I found it easier to just use a 17mm wrench from the bottom side to get to the bolts that connect it the front differential and when I need to move a nut down to where I need it, I just rolled the truck forward or backwards til I was able to get to it. Its not a bad job. I did rip the boot to the upperball joint and had to replace the ball joint, but that isnt a bad job either.

I had thought of ToyoTechs way of doing it and looking back now would of went that way.

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-20-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This way looks way easier but I don't like supporting the truck on a moveable arm.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/replace-l-drive-axle-94-4runner-w-pix-144314/
Since I swapped over to LT and T-100 axles. I knocked out the studs and used nuts and bolts for future repairs.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks ToyoTech559.. I am bookmarking this thread for future reference. I just started my wireless service up again today as this is one reason I spend a lot of time researching for upcoming projects. I had my laptop shut off for sometime and figured it is well worth the information to pay for what I find. This would of saved me buying a balljoint today.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:16 AM

Hey guys.....

I will be ordering the suspension/drive stuff's shortly, but I wanted to ask a question..........

I am literally READY for paint on the Con-Ferr... But I started thinking(NO, NOT TO PAINT IT RED! hahaha)..... My Grill guard is that Hammered Black paint(it's really gunmetal gray).... I wondered what you all thought about me maybe painting it either that color or should I just stick with black and paint the sliders(eventually) and Bumpers front and rear(eventually) black as well? I have plenty of both paints.... And I just wanna get this finished so I can start to pull the top and get ready to mount the side rails, etc.

You all know what black looks like/would look like on there, as I've had it up... But here's the Hammered/what it looks like on my rig/my color(too bad I don't have gray stripes like Toyo... I would DEFINITELY paint everything with that hammered stuff...

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=SJo/UVH4Xpo

BTW, it's a bit of a PITA and wasteful of paint/primer, to paint thinner pieces like this box tube, etc. I almost wish I could rent some guys 'TANK OF PRIMER' AND 'TANK OF PAINT' and just DROP IT IN, yoink it out and hang it up to dry! LOL...... Oh well, has to be done.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark, I try to stay with just three colors. I would go with what your long term goal is of the sliders and bumpers colors are going to be. To me, it gives the look that it could of come from the factory that way.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:41 PM

Thanks, Terry, ... I appreciate the response!

I don't mean to be annoying with all kinds of seemingly silly questions, lol... I just don't like to 'RE-DO' things, ya know? Why, if I don't have to, right? I think black looks pretty good, and the Hammered would look cool, but not so much right next to the GOLD I don't think, ya know? If I ever paint it, I DO plan to re-do the stripes... But I haven't decided whether to do them like Toyo's Gray/silver ones...to match the interior... OR, Gold again. I really do like the Gold... think they just POP, nice! Even thought of painting the top that Deep/Darker Tan color, like they put on RRovers, etc, to kinda match the gold without painting it gold, while simultaneously keeping it a lil cooler? But I think RED ON RED just looks the best on these... More like a "Uniform" look. Here's what I WAS thinking, but everyone seemed to, well, poo-poo it pretty quick! hahaha.....

Maybe a lil darker on the tan, but close.

Anyway, I think 'black' is safest for now... And I can always redo them later if I want that hammered, as it doesn't need primer so much, just a good sanding of what I have and then apply(then wait to dry for 3 days hahaha).
Old 07-21-2012, 01:37 PM

i think you should do all your armor and rack gold
not sure about the top being gold. i like the RED!!

but imo with what you have. the black armor and rack will be best
Old 07-21-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the tanish top mark, and I like the look of the hammerd paint if you get enough things on there painted with it I think it will start to blend nicely, or dont they make that in a style that turns out more goldish black, could swear I seen a guy paint a set of wheels with it once. Good luck with what ever you decide after all mines gonna be yella.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:54 PM

Hmmm, Goldish Black, eh? hahaha... Actually, I think I know what you're talking about... My buddy painted his toolbox that color... it looked very ................toolboxy', lol... WIMean is, ...it looked 'TOUGH', not 'GOLDMEMBER'-like! lol. But alas, black is most practical, I suppose.... And I have no idea when I'll be getting the front and rear bumpers... But they'll be after the slider. My bumpers are not in nearly as much danger as the sides are... BUT, I do love how the rear bumper wraps around and protects stuff's Saw a front one that was SICK, too... IMHO anyway... I REALLY liked it, and I would like to find out where he got it..... Here it is..........

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3109463925.html

I thought about this one^^... as I'd like something to be 'ready' rather than do that to my own(NOT the 'chop'... I REALLY don't like that, period... NOT HATING, lol... just not for me)..... Since he's cut the body off like that... it would be too much work to get it back to 'let's go'! Ya know? I could just grab something like that and have everything I need for a SAS on another rig.... Plus lots of bits and pieces to part out, etc., BUT MAN, I have to be practical in the things I tackle, ya know? I'd honestly rather grab one of the many Supra Turbo's out there I've been seeing....... Or a Cressida... Fix it up and keep it. Saw MANY more than that SAS thing up there that would be worth a look-see... But most are too far to where I can't get away for just a look-see, ya know?

Anyway, I'm EXHAUSTED, having used my day to get around 1000 things done, including topping off that primer I had done with a coat of black......(ok, 3 coats, hahaha).........

The picture is 'meh', .... too much noise... Not sure why my point and shoot is doing that. Hmmmmmm........ anyway, I'm pretty pleased with how it came out so far... and even with a few ripples from where I didn't bother with the paint(Other than grinding/sanding it down to nothing... and in spots where you'll not really notice it... ) ...... it's looking a HELL of a lot better than it did. I realize painting things with just a small bar on top and bottom for the most part.. it wastes lots of paint! haha. But it should last a while. And I'll be letting it cure for a bit, as I'm going to have to get the mounting of the side rails worked out, etc.

Thanks for the input, Jason, Toyo, Terry, I really appreciate it, very much. I've been on overload, mentally, lately... and it's odd how some of the most seemingly SILLY decisions become like "Should I pick the red pill and go back to the matrix? Or the blue pill, and see how deep the rabbit hole goes?????? " hahaha.

I REALLY like the Tan top, but that's not the color I was going for... Just couldn't get any closer with "Paint" haha. I think with the right color, a lil darker, it would look great. BUT, honestly? Red DOES look pretty unbeatable when they're clean. Mine isn't perfect, but it definitely could be worse, right? lol...

PS> The other thing I did, which cost me HOURS and a bit of back pain, lol...........

Remote Controlled Hunter/Fairview, KILLER cooling power, already made my evening better, if I can ever lay down! hahaha.

Take care, guys.... I wish I could report more, but along with what I've mentioned, I got TONS done today, even up where I work.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-22-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

When painting a truck, I always consider the interior color for the stripes, but I like the gold on yours even though a gray stripe would look good. Like you said the gold just pops with it.

If it was a white truck blue interior I would go for blue stripes, same as white truck gray interior, I would go with gray stripes.

As far as the top goes, I always liked the top painted to the color of the truck, but each is going to have their own prefernece. My top will probably painted blue. I will the odd ball on top colors.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I like that tan top in the rear, that color scheme looks nice! and that's from a totally unbiased opinion! Dig the work on the rack....I wanted something like that but I'd have to keep putting it up and down for my yak.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tan top doesnt look too bad. The red is not bad at all haha im pretty sure what ever you do, well all grow to it (great) the rack looks...AWESOME!!.. Haha cant wait to see it on. Well i can imagine it already in my head and it look goooooooooddd..
Old 07-22-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
When painting a truck, I always consider the interior color for the stripes, but I like the gold on yours even though a gray stripe would look good. Like you said the gold just pops with it.

If it was a white truck blue interior I would go for blue stripes, same as white truck gray interior, I would go with gray stripes.

As far as the top goes, I always liked the top painted to the color of the truck, but each is going to have their own prefernece. My top will probably painted blue. I will the odd ball on top colors.
I hear ya, bud. It's always nice to have the int. and exterior accents matching. OR, just a color w/no stripes that matches ok with the interior. See, if going with Yellow, I would go brown/tan interior, .... maybe black(but not likely on one of these. BLACK IS HOTTTTTTTT! And I don't mean "OOOH, OIM Sexayyyyyyy" hot! hahaaa.) Same with Flat Red/no decal... I just think Red and Earth tones match better... Especially something like Tan'ISH, lol.. Far as the Tan top in this case.... I don't think it would bother me too much. I KNOW what is logical and looks best... But there'll be no interior color change on this Ruby!, lol... so if I DID go with the Tan/Browner Top.(more of a leather saddle/tan-gold-darker look I was looking for) ... I wouldn't worry about it, cuz once people open the door, they're not thinking as much about the exterior any longer.... they only see "THE GRAY"! haha. I think Tan would have looked better on my interior, even as it stands, I agree, Terry..... BUT, WOW does it show dirt more! My White 86 was white with Tan exterior. Actually, if you think about it this way.... it's odd; Red with a "Hammered" Color I mentioned... I just don't think they go AS well together. I DO like the grill guard that's painted that color, on there, right now! haha... But if I painted the sliders and bumpers that color, with the Gold Strips/where they're actually standing right next to each other, in contrast?(and on top of that Tan'ish top?).... I just can't see that looking AS good as when those same pieces are 'black'... Because, after all, as Toyota obviously knew... 'EVERYTHING GOES WITH BLACK!', right Terry? hahaha. But if the stripes were that series of Gunmetal-to-lighter gray, It would look GOOD! It'd be pretty original. I think I've seen a couple Red ones with those Gunmetal Gray stripes.... They look good, I just think the Gold stands out and that they look better together, just a lil bit. I could try to do the stripes on "Paint" and see if I can draw in some sliders, hahaha... Not sure it'll come out too well haha. It'll look like a kid with markers drew on a photo! I might try just for fun though, yeah? ALWAYS enjoy when a resto-pro/good dude like yourself stops in, Terry, so THANKS hehe. In whole... I agree with ya on 'matching' as much as possible.

Originally Posted by Grego92
I like that tan top in the rear, that color scheme looks nice! and that's from a totally unbiased opinion! Dig the work on the rack....I wanted something like that but I'd have to keep putting it up and down for my yak.
Yeah, I like it too.. But it's probably just not practical right now, ya know? Maybe if I repaint it some day? I could try it, instead of painting the top red again(it's pretty bad, needs painting)....But then if I don't like it, I"d have to go back to Red, .......and that's a bit of cash to waste on experimental paint schemes, ya know? haha. Not to mention all the prep work... Even the red is gonna be a PITA to match.... The body is just not spot on Factory brightness on the passenger side, any longer... but I would like to find FACTORY TOYOTA RED Paint Numbers. Everything I've tried from parts stores is just NOT the same. Even the Ford Red was closer(the engine paint).

Far as you having a cage... Can't the Yak sit on top of it with lil fasteners? I know, too much resistance and maybe a 'garage fitting' thing? But they make REALLY quick release stuff for these, ESPECIALLY for the Yakima Load Warrior stuff, ya know? You already have the Rack bars.... Just 4 quick tabs w/locks and you're golden! I've seen guys mounting them to the Soft Tops, too... (thanks for reminding me again that you found that killer CL deal on that thing... I appreciate that hahaha)>... But I'm not sure if you have to go THROUGH the Soft top to get it secure to the Soft Top frame? I would imagine so... but I have no idea. I CAN'T WAIT to see it on there/mounted up. I think its' gonna look nice, especially all fresh painted, etc.

I'll get pics of it in the sun, today, hopefully(gonna let it further cure before flipping it and painting the bottom, ya know? GOTTA BE PATIENT WITH PAINT, AM I RIGHT? ) ................BTW...... I WANT MORE PICS OF YOUR RIG IN ACTION, GREGO!!!! Don't have to be wheeling, just pics in general... I LOVE THAT LIL SHORTY!

PS> It's trippy how much different just a different shade of red, especially with metal flake, looks with a Goldish/Saddle Leather'ish/Tan-Brownish Top, yeah? The color I was looking for is more like the Saddle in the smiley >>> with the guy smacking the dead horse! hahaha.

Originally Posted by vang_22re
The tan top doesnt look too bad. The red is not bad at all haha im pretty sure what ever you do, well all grow to it (great) the rack looks...AWESOME!!.. Haha cant wait to see it on. Well i can imagine it already in my head and it look goooooooooddd..
Thanks, Roger haha... Yeah, it's funny... things like that are DRAMATIC changes and NOT popular with lots of people. haha... But think about it, as Grego said, ..."I like mine"... He has a Light Brownish CanBack(THAT I WANT hahaha)..... It wouldn't look very good if it was red, would it? Same with mine?(not to mention it would FADE LIKE MADNESS! haha... Just in theory?)

But for some reason, being 'flush' with the body, the hard tops look better painted the same color... It just makes it look like an SUV more so, ya know? HOWEVER, if I managed to get CLOSE to the gold color, without any metallic(maybe very little), it would be interesting, cuz the stripes on the rear would appear to blend right in! From the back view? NOT applicable, haha.

Thanks, regarding the Rack... it's been a lotta work... And I KNOW, I could have just had it blasted down to metal for 75$ or so, QUICK! hahaha.... BUT, .... this will work, and as most of what I've done, "It feels good to do it yourself, even if you don't save LOTS". Plus, once they saw all the rust hidden in corners on that thing.. I think they'd have charged more in the end. Powdercoating it? NAH, not worth that kind of money to me. I mean, at around 100-200$..... I just can't stomach that, when I could buy something, while not as nostalgic .... STILL SICK LOOKING, in a Yakima Load Warrior or something, saving a CHUNK from what I'd then have invested in this Con-Ferr... ya know? I REALLY like it... and I think it's very solid/practical/useful as far as a rack/cage... keep her OLD SCHOOL, hahaha.

L8r Dudes

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-22-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice mark looks like you got some work done in the past few days. Its gonna look sweet when youre done man. so gonna be worth it seeing that thing up on your truck. how is other parts going?
Old 07-22-2012, 12:57 PM

i need a new fan for my bedroom as the one i have doesnt work anymore, been using floor fans but the remote control ceiling fan would be nice. i just need to go buy one and install it
Old 07-22-2012, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Nice mark looks like you got some work done in the past few days. Its gonna look sweet when youre done man. so gonna be worth it seeing that thing up on your truck. how is other parts going?

Sup homie? Well, ........ it's hopefully gonna look as good as I think it will! hahaha. Nah, it'll be sweet.. And mounted right, through sound advice from ppl like RBX and others who've gone through these shells... It should be SOLID! I'ma get some SUNLIGHT PICS today, before I flip it and paint the bottom.

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
i need a new fan for my bedroom as the one i have doesnt work anymore, been using floor fans but the remote control ceiling fan would be nice. i just need to go buy one and install it
TOYO, don't wait! I'm serious.... I'm already able to not stress over the AC being on, etc. I put one in the kitchen where I work, FIRST! lol... Then, I saw that Home Depot had this particular fan on sale for 90$? It's like 178$ at Lowes or something. Sale might be over, but WITH REMOTE CONTROL? only way to go hahaha. I have been sleeping over here to help out with the old man as he is DANGEROUS to his own health at night.. And mum can't deal with him if he falls, etc. But they're ALWAYS cold when I'm hot, and vice versa, apparently? WTH? hahaha.... Jk, very common... SO, rather than having a Fan blowing inward from the window to pull in cool air, alone.... which wasn't cutting it on 83* nights.... I now have this, and HOLY COW, I didn't wake up for the first time due to sweating, being too hot(that tingling you get in your face when it 's just too hot to sleep?) for the first time in days!!! Plus, ...I just kept the remote near me as I slept, and VOILA, reached up just before crashing, as it was a lil too high, switched it down to 2 and WOOOOOOOOOOT! HAHAHA. GO GET ONE, TOYO, ..it will save you money, on top of it all. This thing was worth every penny of 90$, I'll tell you that much! OH, but remember this. If you get the Hunter-Fairview? It does NOT come with a mounting base(the kind you can just put the mounting ball on, hang it up there and POOF, done, ready for wiring).... But I wanted it for flush mount, anyhow, cuz it's lower ceilings. So if you have a higher ceiling, ... or you just want it to hang a lil lower.... definitely pick up one of those ball slots while there.(just ask the guys, they'll grab you one if you need it). BTW, it has a dimmer on the lights, which are also supplied. And HOLY CRAPOLI, i've never seen 3 lil candelabra lights be so ZOMBIE WARCRAFT BRIGHT! haha. So I'm VERY happy that they dim! lol... Obviously, the other type don't dim... And they also have to have the remote box and transmitter set with the right code to work with either... So read that part too if you grab this one or one like it. I LOVE Hunter Fans... they've NEVER given me a problem and they're SO WELL MADE! I've had 4 now, and love them. OH, and you can get more than one and run them all off one of these remotes. You just have to, again, set the code thingy right.

PS>>>>>> SORRY EVERYONE, ...it's the "Hunter Fairhaven", not Fairview... OOPS.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-22-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:52 PM

The tan top would definitely be cool to see and I'm sure one of a kind, but I personally LOVE the red-on-red!
Old 07-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Dont know about you, but I have half of an idea of color matching cars and know when I see it, if it is done right or wrong I can tell quick. Clothes on the other hand hmmm??? "What do you mean these red pants dont go with this green shirt?"

I am sure I have made some fashion no no's. Just struck me funny that we care for the color of our trucks but has been a time or two she wouldnt let me out of the house with my color choices.

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-22-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by NickMiller
The tan top would definitely be cool to see and I'm sure one of a kind, but I personally LOVE the red-on-red!
Yeah, I think it's just the best way to go... I was going to maybe tap off the sides so that I can paint JUST the tippy top of the shell...., instead. I can't deal with a project of taping off/fully painting/dealing with the cost of all the paint it would take(along with primer)... Forget it! haha.. I already have a bunch of Ford Red that I painted the First Engine with. Just a quick coat should be fine to kinda blend it in with the rest... But as I said, I'll tape off at the 'bends'(where the sides meet the top) and just paint that top part. (white patches and BAD fading really bugs me, haha.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Dont know about you, but I have half of an idea of color matching cars and know when I see it, if it is done right or wrong I can tell quick. Clothes on the other hand hmmm??? "What do you mean these red pants dont go with this green shirt?"

I am sure I have made some fashion no no's. Just struck me funny that we care for the color of our trucks but has been a time or two she wouldnt let me out of the house with my color choices.
Actually, I'm fairly well good on matching, etc.... And I like to wear clean/stain free clothes... Even when I'm working around the house or on the rig... I just want it to match! hahaha.(NOPE, not metrosexual about it all... JUST OCD A BIT, I guess you could say! hehe)..... BUT, I mostly wear board shorts and t-shirts. NICE t-shirts, ...but t-shirts nonetheless! haha. Tennis shoes or skate shoes and short sox for me... All day, most every day! (Unless I'm cooking for a party, etc., of course, ...then it's Black Chef's Coat and Gray Pants with black Shoes..... lol. )

OH, and I shop for half of my t-shirts at Goodwill... They have TONS of brand new shirts all the time that come from high end stores, National Baseball league stores, Football stuff... I don't care about the team stuff any more.. I have 3 brand new Dodgers Shirts I got there ....1.99$ each... and I'm an Angels Fan(not a fanatic fan...just prefer attending Angels stadium, along with other stuffs).... Got some Blizz-Con Staff shirts there too... I barely knew what that was... but they were brand new. All the sudden, TONS of people were approaching me, going on about, "WOW, you worked Blizz Con?" .....Shoulda seen their face when I said I got them at Goodwill Thrift Stores!!! Don't buy uses shoes... But have got around 10 pairs of Older Levis for 5.99$ each! LOVE how older jeans are so much softer/broken in! (I also got around 3K$ worth of Camping and outdoor gear there, over the years, for around 300$ combined, including 2 Coleman Stoves for 5$ each, brand new! .......10x10Ft. "EZ-UP Gazebo" WITH Skeeter Netting attachment all around, Tan Gortex HD fabric, TOTALLY waterproof...... 25$, BRAND NEW! .... Sunbeam Deck Bench-Storage, which I use for camping to hold ALL my gear.. W/wheels, brand new, 200$ new...... 20$ at Goodwill! Prices are not as great now... They're REALLY hurting, I guess... Or maybe more greedy? Guessing the former! hahaha..... But STILL great deals, including the 500$ or so worth of the BEST quality available, High End Samsonite Luggage Set........ 30$ FOR 5 PIECES, including a Suit and Toiletries Case, totally waterproof/w/hanger built on, and built in Battery Pack/Inverter for running emergency 120V stuff for around 20 minutes or more. LOVE THRIFT STORES, ....THEY ARE AND WILL ALWAYS BE A GREAT BLESSING TO ME!!! ) <<< end parenthesis!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread