86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^x2 I'd just to the boots...clean them well and load with fresh grease that comes in the kit.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
If your front axles dont noise when locked and turning. Than I would just do that boots especially if you have oem axles. Oem axles are better. I have wheeled more than you Mark and I have yet done any damage to my 230k original axles. The little skinny pedal kills cv axles. When I do have to get on the skinny pedal I keep my wheels straight. Anyways I'm on t 100 aftermarket axles. See if I can have them last forever. It's called rock Crawling lol slow and easy. Gears and lockers!! Those with manual trans should look at dual or 4.7 gears. I'm auto so I can crawl hehe
Hey Toyo.... you've definitely wheeled more than me this year, lol. Been driving these for 20 years... but wheeled the 86 IFS like a crazy man for years, putting 149K on it in 3 of those years, touring the US and LOTS of CA.... and NEVER ONCE had an issue with the CV's. This trip, I had no boot damage after the romping on those hills... It happened just creeping through the rock garden, which was pretty nasty, actually, lol. But either way, I WOULD LOVE dual cases/4.7's... But I've never burnt a clutch out yet in 20 years.... I really do love the 5spd. Just SO used to it. BUT, ..... wouldn't HATE an auto with enough power, either, haha.

You know.... the noises you hear in the video... I am NEARLY POSITIVE it's the 32's rubbing on the mud flaps up front at full turn, barely moving. It doesn't happen at all with the 31's, no matter how Hard I turned/crept through stuff on back and forthage in Havasu, etc.... So yeah, I've NEVER heard anything out of them, even when I was Auto Locking Hubs for about 100k. To be honest, those NEVER failed me or left me stranded either... But I do realize why they're less desirable/considered inferior. Now I have a fresh set of manual locking hubs off an 86... So I gotta get everything ready before I start any of this. Wanna restore them a lil, but not sure exactly how far to go with those, either, ya know??? Thanks for the input, Toyo.... Glad you're loving that sick beast! One of my fav's on here, no doubt!

Originally Posted by rworegon
^x2 I'd just do the boots...clean them well and load with fresh grease that comes in the kit.
OOOH, free grease even? hehe. So 70$ shipped for both, is that right? OR, 10.50/in weight/each of them shipped, even if they're shipped together?

Thanks again for the links, RW... And BTW.... you know you wanna visit Disneyland and DO SOME BOOTS, RIGHT? :b hahaha.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea my 32s rub only at when turning but when compressed. At ride height and normal driving. They don't rub. Sounds like boots is the answer. Manual hubs will make those boots last longer too
Old 07-18-2012, 12:06 PM

Yea my 32s rub only at when turning but when compressed. At ride height and normal driving. They don't rub. Sounds like boots is the answer. Manual hubs will make those boots last longer too
Oh yea, .... I have Manual hubs right now. They're Warn-Premiums from around 8 years ago, .... and they've NEVER let me down, even when I was driving 45-50K miles a year, those first few years, touring/expo'ing CA, OR and WA, Hot Spring Treks, into the winter, etc.... They have ALWAYS worked... BUT, I AM FULLY aware that the Aisin Hubs are just 'that much more' superior built. So I have some to put on... Just need to figure out, without knowing how much abuse they've seen, whether or not I should just get a rebuild kit for those as well and slap them on... Or just stick with the WARN's until they explode? hahaha.

The Warns are the all metal version.... And the problem to most is that they stick out further than the Aisins.. quite a bit, around 1.5-2"? I'll measure later when I dig in. I'll pull the Aisin IFS Hubs I got out, later, and take pics, check for fluid motion, etc.

I would just send em to Brian/Wabbit or something.... but I can't stomach spending 200$ on something I can do myself, ya know? As busy as I am, I WISH I could pay him to do that, then pay RMA to slap a 1UZ in my Ruby, lol.... But I'm too strapped/trying to be SOMEWHAT frugal, to go there. So I'll just get her back to 'safe' and maybe do the hubs, add a couple shims for droop, ya know?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:23 PM

you just have to take them apart. clean them. make sure the spring and the hubs are not pitted from water damage. grease them up lightly as you put it back together. there is not much to them at all and more of a clean ad regrease than rebuild
Old 07-18-2012, 07:26 PM

Hmm I might have to buy some of those bushings as well both mine are ripped. Maybe we can do them together at your place mark. Considering you got more tools to work with then I do.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:31 PM

oh forgot to say. i almost picked up a set of outlaws 2 like yours. not trying to copy but i have been looking for lighter wheels. i checked them out in person, ad said 15x8. they were kinda dirty but i was gonna paint them gray. anyways i was looking over them pretty good and it just didnt look right and i was right. the back side say 15x7. i was pissed. he only wanted 130$ for the set of 4
Old 07-18-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Hmmm...a locker, a rear locker? I think I now need one of them things. Is that one of those automatic ones or the ones you engage? I think on MC I saw a "Spartan" that I could install myself? My Fronty has a rear locker....never used it, bahhahhahaha!!! but now I know I need to have one for the Yota! cuz what if the Zombies come after me when I'm in the Yota!

EDIT: Just went back a page and read one of your post, you do have one of those Spartan things, did you install yourself? if so did you do a write up? like page X of 173 hahahhahahaha.....throw me a bone! save me some time! I need one of those things....you know there was a zombie attack in Torrance recently!

Last edited by Grego92; 07-18-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:03 AM

you just have to take them apart. clean them. make sure the spring and the hubs are not pitted from water damage. grease them up lightly as you put it back together. there is not much to them at all and more of a clean ad regrease than rebuild
Oh yeah, I've taken a few apart, assembled the Warn's... but I'm more curious since my rig is originally an Auto Locking Hub if the Warn came with a piece(can't remember) that negated the "auto locking axle assembly" factor. The Tube is different/axle I think... I know it used to lock by shifting into 4WD and then rolling to lock in, where the inner axle would engage the outer and then lock the hub.. Then it releases when rolling back.... And I've read so many confusing posts on "When switching from auto locking hubs to manual, this is the kit", etc. Since my Aisin's were from IFS I know I'm fine for the most part.. just was wondering if there's a clip or something that I'll be missing since these hubs I got came off a rig that was never Auto Locking... Make sense? If not, never mind, I give up! hahahaha, jk. NEVER! lol.

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Hmm I might have to buy some of those bushings as well both mine are ripped. Maybe we can do them together at your place mark. Considering you got more tools to work with then I do.
The CV boots? Yeah, that's what I was saying to you, .... I think on here(maybe a PM or text).... "we could just do them both over here(ON LOTS OF CARDBOARD! .....messy, hehe)" ...... I have NOTHING bad to say about the Warn's... And you could use them if you wanted until you SAS and put on the SFA Locking Hubs you got(I don't think they'll work on an IFS, IIRC.) I remember pulling those off to replace the Rotors, repack the bearings, etc., .... there was a lil drum in mine that WERE A PITA! lol. Ended up tweaking it, so now my Auto Locking hubs are pretty much useless(not that anyone is asking for them or anything, hahaha)... But MAN that ticked me off. Lil actuator drum inside there that get's frozen up or something... can't remember, but it broke. I tried to find a replacement..... EVERYWHERE said, "NOPE, gotta buy the whole Locking hub!"... That's when I got the Warns from a buddy who called me from 4wheelparts... saying, "SHHHH, I have a set of Warn premiums, open box, you can have them for 50$... get down here!"... So I did, haha. As I said.... They've not given me a problem.. So if time is a problem, I'll probably not screw with em at all, other than to remove and clean up and reinstall. But if I DO have time.. I'M SLAPPIN THEM AISIN'S IN! haha. We'll see.. I'll letcha know when I order them and sure, I'd gladly give ya hand/open the tool shed

oh forgot to say. i almost picked up a set of outlaws 2 like yours. not trying to copy but i have been looking for lighter wheels. i checked them out in person, ad said 15x8. they were kinda dirty but i was gonna paint them gray. anyways i was looking over them pretty good and it just didnt look right and i was right. the back side say 15x7. i was pissed. he only wanted 130$ for the set of 4
Dude, I love your rig, ... anything you wanna use to make it more to your liking... that I happen to be rolling right now... DO IT! lol.... I saw them on my buddies rig, 15 YEARS AGO, and ALWAYS though they looked sick on runners. Course, I LIKE the brushed aluminum look... But not everyone does, I get it, totally. They are SOOOOOOO FREAKING LIGHT, RIGHT??? haha... I couldn't believe it... Lightest I'd felt. Yeah, that sucks they weren't what they said. 15x8 is perfect by them.... cuz they have a nice backspacing that let's them out a lil but not TOO much. On yours, however... they would come out even more. WOW, 130$ for 4?????????? That's a steal whether you need them or not, ya know? They'd be perfect for someone rolling 31's, even 32's, really, if they didn't want them to stick out as much, ya know? Thanks for throwing in your thoughts, too, Toyo

Originally Posted by Grego92
Hmmm...a locker, a rear locker? I think I now need one of them things. Is that one of those automatic ones or the ones you engage? I think on MC I saw a "Spartan" that I could install myself? My Fronty has a rear locker....never used it, bahhahhahaha!!! but now I know I need to have one for the Yota! cuz what if the Zombies come after me when I'm in the Yota!

EDIT: Just went back a page and read one of your post, you do have one of those Spartan things, did you install yourself? if so did you do a write up? like page X of 173 hahahhahahaha.....throw me a bone! save me some time! I need one of those things....you know there was a zombie attack in Torrance recently!
Hahaha... Yer funnnny! lol. Grego, ..........................wasn't there always a Zombie attack every other day in L.A.? hahaha.

Sir, I did NOT install that Spartan... Yotarob2003(? maybe 2008, can't remember, ... His name is Rob, spoken to him many times... great guy. Has a drab'ish green 4runner that's pretty sick! He send me the 4.30's with the locker already in there. BUT, .... they ARE NOT selectable... They are full time locked in the rear. AND, they DO sound to be fairly easy to install, more so than some. They have pins that restrain the springs in there... so you can use both hands without the springs things going flying/without having to hold onto anything. Most threads I read on it were guys who'd not done one before... 99% of them said, "LOVE THIS THING"... so I was sold when he offered it to me. For what I need, I LOVE IT!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:06 AM

PS> Grego, .... Yukon, the maker of Grizzly and Spartan.... Unless they moved, I believe they have an outlet/authorized seller in the South Bay, near me, actually. If you look them up and click on 'where to buy' or whatever it is... The 'reseller' list should come up, ya know? Then again.... You COULD just order it from them and wait.... and HOPE FOR NO ZOMBIE ATTACKS while out camping!!!! hahaa.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:59 AM

I'll have to check with my buddy. He has a 88 with auto hubs and told me he just slap manual hubs on them and that was it.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 PM

I'll have to check with my buddy. He has a 88 with auto hubs and told me he just slap manual hubs on them and that was it.
Well now, THAT'S a possible snippet of good news, Toyo! Thanks.... (I know, I need to wait to see what he says. haha. )
Old 07-19-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Well now, THAT'S a possible snippet of good news, Toyo! Thanks.... (I know, I need to wait to see what he says. haha. )

my buddy got back to me. he said it was a straight swap, just need to buy washers and nuts unless you can use the warn ones. anyways swap them out already.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 PM

my buddy got back to me. he said it was a straight swap, just need to buy washers and nuts unless you can use the warn ones. anyways swap them out already.
Hahahaha... OK, I promise, I will! lol.

Actually, I'm trying to have everything ready, so I can do the boots, etc., all in one day(Plus I have to return a rotor to Napa,.... it's warped. ///Lifetime Guarantee, LOVE IT! lol)... So I have a bit of work to do that day... But the Aisin Hubs will be cleaned up, painted and REH-2-GO! .... Then I just have to pull em out and slap em in when I tear it down that day.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:48 PM

Lil Update.... kinda, :D .......

Spent another few hours today, on and off when I could get out there, prepping the Con-Ferr Cage. I REALLY wish at times that I'd just got a Load Warrior or something, ....but alas, I didn't, so I figured I'd better finish, ya know? lol. I LOVE the Con-Ferr... Not for everyone, but I really like it...........

I swear, it had WAY more fairly deep rust than I had any idea of. The MORON that I bought it from painted right over it last time. It wasn't new paint when I'd got it... but he'd also left it outside, under a tarp(as if that was going to keep it from rusting?) And then, I remember when pulling up... He had washed it off, to clear the cobwebs, etc.... I doubt that water helped either! hahaha.

I ended up passing on taking it down for blasting.... Would have been a bit more than I'd hoped... 75$ or so... So instead, I brilliantly spent 40$ on supplies to do what they could have in an hour... and I spent 4-6 hours, EASILY! hahaha. hehehe.

Anyway, .......... I FINALLY got it stripped down to SHINY METAL, all the nooks and crannies, etc., ect... and then cleaned it really well with Rubbing alcohol... And I FINALLY primer coated it!

I was going to paint it with that Hammered Paint... like my grill guard. But I also have lots of Gloss Black for Auto Applications. I just thought the Hammered on the Front, then eventually the front and rear TG bumpers(Addicted, 4Xi, maybe?.. that style), then the con-ferr... Might look pretty good? Either way, it'll be done pretty soon, along with the side rails sanded/primered and painted, ... so then I can get on that project asap as well.... YEA! lol. So far, I have a lil free time coming up with some additional help on occasions to take up one or two of my now 18hour days, 7 days per... and make it more like 5 - 18hr days per, lol. This will free up at least a couple days a week that I can just focus on fixing things, etc. Ya know?

I really need to also test the droop/bind factor, asap... I DO NOT want that happening again.... at least not soon! haha. Then I have to tear down the front end on both sides to get the CV boots and Rotor done(and check for whether or not I'll be needing to replace the OEM CV's. HOPE NOT lol)

Hope you all have a great weekend, ...................don't BURN UP! It's HAWT!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I hear you on never buring a clutch up in nearly 20 plus years of driving. Never understood it myself. I have changed several in the past, but that was buying a used truck or just good preventive measure while having a tranny or motor out.

I need to get back on getting my shaft removed. One problem I am running into is getting the shaft to clear the lower control arm to come out of the hub. The way I understand, this is a common fix while out on the trail. I apparently am not doing something right, but I have tried to put my hub at all different angles trying to get the shaft to clear but not having any luck. I might disconnect a ball joint to get it out.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:09 AM

Post some pix of the progress. Curious to know how its coming along through visual images. Lol
Old 07-20-2012, 07:12 AM

Hey Terry.... I'm not sure what's going on with your having trouble. I've done CV's on cars(FWD) that were a TOTAL PITA, ... yet this one is so much more roomy, in theory, lol. I hope I don't have as much trouble. When you figure out 'the hangup', post it up here, would ya? GREAT pics of the pup, etc.! Glad you've got that offer for watching your kids.... that's GREAT! Use it wisely, Sir! hahaha.

Sure thing, Richard! I wish I got some of the process as I was grinding/sanding, etc., but I didn't. Sorry man.... I can tell you with the angles and crevices on this thing, it wasn't easy.... More so, the rust was a type that's deep, yet not rotted through, luckily.... Anyway, here it is Primered......(Well, ..... 3/4 anyhow, hahaha... I have to flip it and get the 'corners' that look a lil light. )

Old 07-20-2012, 07:26 AM

Lookin good man. It's gonna look sick on your truck. Have you drilled into that camper of yours put on the actual roof rack onto your hard top yet? That's what i wanted to help you out with cuz I wanna see how the whole thing will look and turn out when you took and how to water proof it.

BTW I see you still have that charcoal. Ur gonna have to put that to use soon man! Maybe I might marinate some more carne asada to take out over there. U can make some sides or something.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I need to get back on getting my shaft removed. One problem I am running into is getting the shaft to clear the lower control arm to come out of the hub. The way I understand, this is a common fix while out on the trail. I apparently am not doing something right, but I have tried to put my hub at all different angles trying to get the shaft to clear but not having any luck. I might disconnect a ball joint to get it out.
Remove the 4 bolts on the lower arm and move the hub out of the way

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread