86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 01:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
First video is of what I think is Hunt Canyon Trails... VERY cool wheeling in there, but we didn't go too far cuz Richards runner wasn't ready just yet

[IMG][/IMG]

This video is on this Rock Garden that was pretty crazy... It's a lil shaky and too far away... GOTTA get a GoProCAM, lol... But I was thankful for Richard filming it for me on my kinda crappy Camera, hehe..... (Thanks, again, Richard... I appreciate it! ) >>>>

[IMG][/IMG]

(Yeah, I hear ya, Toyo... I also have Downey Mega Travel Upper Ball Joints/T-bars relaxed a lil bit after the BJ spacer install... BUT, Richard will have 33's on an SAS'd beast with dual lockers, 4.88's or 5.29's, REAL soon... So I'll be the one having to take the mellower trails at that point, hahaha... ) ..... I will be loading a couple more videos... but wanna send em to Richard to see what he wants to post or not... Also, they would have to have a couple 'bleep's in there, haha...

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-15-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Super cool Chef! Looks like you guys had lots of fun. Trucks look good but I don't understand all that metal over the wheels. What is that? All you ever see there in MO is cancerous RUST.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AHHH come on i just typed out a nice sized reply and my laptop shut off! now i gotta re-type everything. DO YOUR TRUCK ANY JUSTICE. THAT THING WAS & LOOKED WAAAAAAAAY STEEPER IN PERSON!
Originally Posted by habanero
Super cool Chef! Looks like you guys had lots of fun. Trucks look good but I don't understand all that metal over the wheels. What is that? All you ever see there in MO is cancerous RUST.
I dont remember there being any rust on our wheels. are you talking about that orange-ish tint on the tires and wheels? That is all from the dirt and fine sand that sticks to your tires. It came right off with a brush and wash when i got home.

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
awesome pictures. nice to see you out on the trails. its cool to see how much a difference the BJ spacer set up is compared to stock. you can see where Redeth front right tire is kinda in the air but all 4 of yours was on the ground
Yea Dude i was honestly bummed out to see that my truck couldnt handle more difficult terrain and incline. You'll see when Chef posts the videos. Due to my very worn BFG a/t tires and having only limited slip i wasnt able to get through stuff as easily like chef did. But I expect all that to change soon. Within the year if all goes well. I know Chef has a pretty well fixed up truck but seeing him go over alot of things and up steep hills(alot in 2wd) and then me in 4x4 not being able to get up at all or barely making it was kind of disapointing. It made me to his truck lol. Either way, i was already expecting it wasnt gonna perform extremely well all stock anyway. But Once i get my SAS, 4"lift, 5.29 gears, 33" tires put on(35's after that set), and dual lockers; if not at least just one in the rear, my truck is gonna be a BEAST. Cant wait.

But i mainly wanted to go on this trip for 2 reasons, get dirty and have fun and to be able to see what my truck can and can not handle off road so i can then compare it to how it will ride later on when i do get all that stuff finally installed in my truck ya know. Honestly cant wait!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Trucks look good but I don't understand all that metal over the wheels. What is that? All you ever see there in MO is cancerous RUST.
Hehe, nice bit of tounge-in-cheek humor Hab. Out west, we cannot imagine rigs looking like Swiss cheese from 'normal' driving. That salt thing back there is evil.

Chef, looks like a lot of fun up in those hills. Great pics!

Last edited by rworegon; 07-15-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome pics! Looks like you had tons of fun!
Old 07-15-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
re: first video-
who needs crawler gears when you've got speed? haha, jeez...
Old 07-15-2012, 08:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice pics and videos! Looks like you guys had a really fun trip!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great pics and video, looks like you guy had some fun...........
Old 07-15-2012, 01:54 PM

Before I forget... I honestly probably wouldn't have put on the 32's for this road trip... But I didn't know Richard didn't have a spare.... So I wanted to be sure that if he lost a 31(which I guess he nearly did), he could roll home on one of mine, ya know? So I swapped on my 32's and brought alone a 31x10.50x15 for Richard.(he hauled it once we met up in Eagle Rock, CA, hahaha.) I kinda wanted to show him the differences, with just a few minor mods, with us both on 31 BFG AT's..... I think they get a BUM rap on here, and They've NEVER left me stranded.

Hahahaa.... Yeah, I hear ya... Poor 85giJunk and MANY other buddies out East... I FEEL FOR YA, Hab! I really do! You guys put TONS of work in, then have to battle that as well. Not to mention breaking things loose, etc. What a bear. Trust me, I'm VERY grateful... But hey, ... I've offered to help hunt for Rigs for MANY people, to just come out, after I've checked over EVERYTHING they want... Then pick it up and drive it home(Even ship it Rail for LESS! lol)... But no one has taken me up on it. Heck, even guys from Fresno don't wanna do that, so ....what can I do, right? I offer! lol.

Thanks, Hab... IT WAS, indeed, great fun. And I appreciate the compliment. Especially from you. You've done far more SICK work than I have to mine... Well, on the Suspenion/etc. end, at least. Always enjoy checking into your thread!

Originally Posted by Redeth005
AHHH come on i just typed out a nice sized reply and my laptop shut off! now i gotta re-type everything. DO YOUR TRUCK ANY JUSTICE. THAT THING WAS & LOOKED WAAAAAAAAY STEEPER IN PERSON!

I dont remember there being any rust on our wheels. are you talking about that orange-ish tint on the tires and wheels? That is all from the dirt and fine sand that sticks to your tires. It came right off with a brush and wash when i got home.

Yea Dude i was honestly bummed out to see that my truck couldnt handle more difficult terrain and incline. You'll see when Chef posts the videos. Due to my very worn BFG a/t tires and having only limited slip i wasnt able to get through stuff as easily like chef did. But I expect all that to change soon. Within the year if all goes well. I know Chef has a pretty well fixed up truck but seeing him go over alot of things and up steep hills(alot in 2wd) and then me in 4x4 not being able to get up at all or barely making it was kind of disapointing. It made me to his truck lol. Either way, i was already expecting it wasnt gonna perform extremely well all stock anyway. But Once i get my SAS, 4"lift, 5.29 gears, 33" tires put on(35's after that set), and dual lockers; if not at least just one in the rear, my truck is gonna be a BEAST. Cant wait.

But i mainly wanted to go on this trip for 2 reasons, get dirty and have fun and to be able to see what my truck can and can not handle off road so i can then compare it to how it will ride later on when i do get all that stuff finally installed in my truck ya know. Honestly cant wait!
Right on, Richard.... Thanks, man. It was a lot of fun... Glad you had some too! Sorry bout not getting to do what you wanted in her... BUT, MOST IMPORTANTLY, ... you DID NOT get hurt/roll/massive carnage or otherwise and YOU MADE IT HOME! hahaha.

Yeah, it was very steep.... Bit longer on that steep angle, too, .... but the MAIN thing that I wanted to share, as to why I got speed up(IAN, lol)... is because the dirt is like dried talc. It's literally finer than powdered sugar... and you hit spots, all over, that just suddenly sink and turn to SUPER fine sand, basically. On that hill, it was VERY much like that... And by hauling a bit.....I didn't have to worry about getting up it or not. It is VERY difficult to crawl up that stuff... Because it just keeps breaking away, like, well, 'dry mud', if that makes any sense. It's dense enough to sit on, and creep through on more flat trails... But the second you get on an angle, it just gives way and digs out like sand,...SUPER FINE stuff, more like wet-then dried- talcum powder. Guys with CRAZY sick rigs get stuck/roll back and flip on that stuff all the time.. Because creeping up doesn't work, then when you try to brake on steep inclines rolling back.... Doesn't work, haha. Next time I'll do it on a steep/less tall incline to show ya. Locked helps.. but not the 'sink' factor in that stuff, so much. Even on the harder/far less steep stuff like Richard was on/slipping on... it just caves away and causes this super fine cloud of talc dust, haha. As you can see from the second video.. I creep, rather than fly, through anything I can. That stuff just doesn't allow it on steep inclines.

Thanks for the compliments, Richard... and I CAN'T WAIT to get up there again, and can't wait to see you enjoying it, when finished with your BEASTY! lol. The thing is gonna be VERY much more capable then, no doubt!

Originally Posted by rworegon
Hehe, nice bit of tounge-in-cheek humor Hab. Out west, we cannot imagine rigs looking like Swiss cheese from 'normal' driving. That salt thing back there is evil.

Chef, looks like a lot of fun up in those hills. Great pics!
Hahahaha... Yeah, I really feel for them dealing with that rust, as said. Thanks, RW! Yep, they're great places to wheel.

Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
Awesome pics! Looks like you had tons of fun!
Yep

Originally Posted by irab88
re: first video-
who needs crawler gears when you've got speed? haha, jeez...
Hey Ian, how's it goin? Yeah, I answered that in my reply to Redeth... It's hard to explain, but those tall/steep desert berms like that, out here, .... In spots they're like Termite hills... You can sit on them, creep over them, just fine... But the second you try to get up them at an angle... They're just like formerly wet/dried salt/talcum flats.... Like with mud, you can't creep through.. It's a very similar situation with this stuff. Being locked and getting enough speed up in 4Low, ..it just kinda hops right up that stuff.. But if that hill was another 30Ft or more high.... I would eventually start to dig in, just by the laws of physics/weight to power ratio--angle--density of stuff. It's kinda like running up shale on a steep hill up there... If you slow down, you just sink every step and get maybe 2" per step.. But if you start out runnin, you can get a full leap each step until you hit that point where you start to sink a lil more each step....then you just slide back on it, as it's layers of flat/slippery rocks. You can't see on that rock garden..but there are LOTS of crevice type dips all through it, due to being washed out over and over... I promise, if I hadn't needed to speed up to keep momentum, I wouldn't have, lol. Over in the San Gabriel and San Bernadino Sides of the mountains... It's all very dense/solid ground with lots of rocks laid in.. MUCH different, and actually NOT safe for flying up stuff, lol. I hope you get a cross country trip in some day with the Expedition X-tra CAB SR5 Conversion Project, Ian... Would love to hit the Sierras or Sequoias with ya some day! Heck, bring all those guys back east with ya for a "CALIFORNIA HOT SPRINGS AND SIERRAS TOUR"! HAHAHA.

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Nice pics and videos! Looks like you guys had a really fun trip!
Definitely.... Thanks, Ed!

Originally Posted by RMP8080
great pics and video, looks like you guy had some fun...........
Right on, Bill, ..... sure did. LOVE it, but REALLY love going on the backside where there's a bit of water......

.....BUT, that's what I forgot to mention. Where I LOVE to go, where it's more rocky/solid/great trails...They've BLOCKED OFF EVERYTHING! BLM out here have totally cut off the wheelers. (Redeth can testify to that... UNREAL how much money they spent, FROM MY FEES FOR ADVENTURE PASSES, to keep us out from wheeling in there on the rock crawling gardens! There are GREAT pools back there... even when it's low water level like now... But I didn't go up there to 'hike half a mile in 100*F to take a dip'.... I wanted to wheel in, right up to it, like I always have.... until around 4 months ago or so when they put these stupid Euro Pylons IN! ANYWHERE they couldn't make a berm with HUGE rocks and Chain link... they put in these things! GRRR! ) I felt bad, cuz Richard would have been able to really creep around in there and have more fun Sorry man! Oh well... that's what happens when people like Al Gore play 'EcoMan, hero to the forest'... and then turn around and sell Gold Mining Rights to the UN, IN THE ANGELES CREST, for favors back from them. YEP, mining tailings ALL OVER those mountains I showed pictures of... IT'S NOT the same place it was, even 10 years ago... AT ALL! They wont even let you PARK within 150Feet of ANY moving Water...... BUT, ... you can park IN the water of a Lake that's fed by that same running water? WTH?

Anyway, end rant, haha...

Thanks, guys... Loading the videos, but I have to edit some swearing out, sorry... Might take a lil while, but I'll get em up.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Rworegon nailed it. My cornball way of saying WOW! Around here holes is what we've got. Your trucks look sweet, especially with a little dirt and stuff, or more acurately, an intact body where there can be a little dirt and stuff.

Last edited by habanero; 07-15-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:17 PM

1rst off seeing your runner somtimes makes me wonder if yella was the right choice for mine.
2nd looks like you to had a great time, so cool to see you out playing in your rig, that thing is working and looking sick buddy Im hoping to see you take many more trips like this man you deserve it.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 PM

Thanks, Jason! Great to hear that from you, man... You're doing great work, that thing's gonna be a beast(a practical one )

And HAB, ... like I said, .... sorry Sis... I know it's tough fighting that rust! I feel for ya and I PROMISE I'm grateful for having a rig without a single spot of it, pretty much. Very grateful!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:51 PM

Few more Videos....... close your ears if your sensitive to '#@%'... couple of those in there... My Road Dawg on this trip isn't used to the 'Beaver Cleaver' set up here just yet, haha... (SHHH, don't tell on me, K? ) >>>>>>

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-15-2012, 11:53 PM

PS> If anyone can tell me how to "BLEEP" in these.... I'd be grateful. To be honest, I haven't had time, really. I've just clicked to upload and walked away while my computer crawls lately! GRRR! lol. Back to somewhat normal now... So I finished uploading them and reloaded a couple. Also, this last one in Youtube form... it's not able to load on Photobucket... but I tried 2 others just for testing and they loaded fine on Pbucket...Must be a MB limit? lol.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:47 AM

my editing program you can adjust the volume add and delete sounds etc, windows movie maker free download.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:56 AM

Rworegon nailed it. My cornball way of saying WOW! Around here holes is what we've got. Your trucks look sweet, especially with a little dirt and stuff, or more acurately, an intact body where there can be a little dirt and stuff.
Oh wow lol my bad that one flew right past me ha ha ha! Talk about dry humor right lol thanks a lot dude. I'm a big fan of yours as well kick ass work you've done to it. Glad to hear people like the trucks. Marks looks far better then mine though. I have a lot of catching up to do as far as work and upgrades go. Can't wait!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks! Just trying my hardest to keep up with ol' Mr. Chef but then, aren't we all?

Dude?

Last edited by habanero; 07-16-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
my editing program you can adjust the volume add and delete sounds etc, windows movie maker free download.
Ahhhh, ok, hahaha. Yeah, I noticed I could splice parts out using that.... I did those title paged videos with it... Didn't know how to edit out sound at points... I just wanna add a couple bleeps... But Wonder if I can edit it from Photobucket/Youtube that way? Sorry guys....... hehehe.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 AM

Oh wow lol my bad that one flew right past me ha ha ha! Talk about dry humor right lol thanks a lot dude. I'm a big fan of yours as well kick ass work you've done to it. Glad to hear people like the trucks. Marks looks far better then mine though. I have a lot of catching up to do as far as work and upgrades go. Can't wait!
Thanks! Just trying my hardest to keep up with ol' Mr. Chef but then, aren't we all?

Dude?
Hahaha... Thanks, Richard... I love Ol Red..... as you know, hahaa.... Your Gunmetal Betty will be fun to watch as it transforms... I might even have a hand in it, I'm sure, haha.

HAB, DUDETTE, sup? hahhaa.... I think you've easily done as much as I've done! Likely, "more"! hehe... Yeah, you're HARDLY a Dude...., but ....you're a married Momma, so I'll leave it at that , haha. LOVE your Rig, Hab, and I've wanted a 3rd Gen for a long time. Just can't keep 2 rigs.... So I'd have to part with Ole Ruby Red.... Not sure I'm ready for that one just yet, haha.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Yea I've been trying to convince my girl to get a 3rd gen 4runner for a while but she just doesnt like them very much. Shed rather get a tacoma. Says it looks like a soccer mom car lol I honeatly love the way they look.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread