86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 4runnedup
Yeah apple valley is between victorville and lucerne just below big bear a lot of really nice trails to hit up on this side of the marry annas 3n14 is one of the main ones I normally leave my house head up towards big bear taking 3n14 then hang a right up there in big pine flats to head towards crab flats end up going to dam near arrowhead head down to devils hole fish for a little while then make my way back out towards the back side of silverwood its a really nice wheeling cruse normally takes me about 6 hours around the mountains due to fishing and what not. There are some spots that are knarly ass hell to get through but I can do it when my truck was stock with 32's on her. I couldn't make it up but I cango down it. There's a lot of rocks and tight fits to make it through but all in all prolly 1 of the best trips you can do in those parts of the mountains I've seen/drivin. I used to have pictures of the trip but my wife sent off my sd card with my old phone when I got it exchanged for a new 1
RIGHT ON! Beautiful country! LOTS of smart people have good careers in the surrounding... then live in the foothills/north or south of the 138. I might be doing a lil day trip to the Big Rock Creek area(in the hills just off of Pearblossom). Maybe Devils Punchbowl... Where do you/if you do at all/wheel up in there? I've noticed they've shut off MANY of the roads in there. I was gonna take a Yotatech/L.A. friend up there with me... if he wants to go.... so just curious, since, while yes, I HAVE cruised around up in there LOTS, ... I figure you probably know more about that area, lil secrets, etc. Big Rock is more of a canyon, so no dramatic adventures, other than up by the fire prison camp.... But what about over the Jackson Lake area(Always meant to go that way, but always end up sticking around the Devils Punchbowl and Big Rock, etc.)..... Any input would be appreciated(regarding a closer, milder day trip experience for me and my friend/possibly his GF, and his rig is still totally stock IFS).. THANKS!

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
Blau in the dash eh? I really like their stuff. Got a 10" Comp Blau sub behind the seat in the truck
Yeah, 4" in the dash.. And they handle the higher volume levels from the deck very well without distortion... Richard took a listen.. they don't clip out at all. BUT, always curious if there are 'FAR' superior ones when it comes to handling louder stuff, ya know?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never wheeled in the wrightwood side of the mountains (yet) but if you get on to 3n14 there is all kinds of adventures you can go on my best opinion is to go to the back side of silverwood lake (where the dam is) and go on that trail its beautiful it leads around the lake to the top of the mountain that overlooks the lake really nice view of the valley also if you stay on that trail you will end up on the paved part of the 173 (the part that is not closed) then from there you can make a left then a right up the road that leads to the pinnacles/ devils hole/ aztec falls/ spinters cabin. It also leads you towards arrowhead or if you take the knarly trail to big bear. All of the road around silverwood is a fire road and is very easy to drive through has its bumps and twists but if you're like me it has also some black diamond trails as you go up and I did all of them in my stock 87 4runner with 32's but all the trails lead back to the main fire road its hard to get lost intill you get DEEP back there but 95% of the trails will lead you to a town. Like rim of the world arrowhead and such. But I highly recommend that trail a lot if fun a lot of side trails for adventures and there is always people up there incase you break down. I once saw a chevy astride van with some steelies and bfg ats up there lol man the laughs and look on my face Haha. What some people do never seizes to amaze me. You can Google most if not all of the stuff I mentioned for a map or cord.

Last edited by 4runnedup; 07-10-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:21 PM

Thanks, man

Yeah, not the Wrightwood side... I was talking about those links I posted... Devils Punchbowl side... (North side of the Angeles). Near the Dam and Mt. Emma Road, etc.... I have taken the 2 up to toward Waterman and then made a left down it at that hiking area(can't remember the name)... It takes you all the way down to the Big Rock Creek Prison Fire Camp and then down into Pearblossom. But usually, I just take the 2 to the Palmdale Turn off, then Mt. Emma Road over to Devils Punchbowl and Big Rock Creek stuff... Jackson Hole... is that nice? It's been so long! There's lots of wheeling around the Fort Tehon and Big Rock Creek Rd. junction, too... I was trying to stay within the WEST SIDE of the Angeles/Back Side... You know, a few miles off the 14 and 138 Junction/East and then south of there, back into the mountains, where Big Rock Creek and Devils Punchbowl are, etc. It'll just be for the day... so getting near Arrowhead on the backside would take a lil time, ya know? But I WILL do that, FOR SURE, when I have more time. I used to wheel up in Big Bear and around Arrowhead all the time... Also even further east, up into the 15 area. Also, I did lots of adventures on the other side, like 14 and Red Rock Canyon, Glacier Peak, Acton, etc. Wow, it must be hot in the Pearblossom area today. It's near high 80's here today in the South Bay.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:58 PM

HEY GUYS!

Sorry I've once again been SLOW! haha.... it's nuts, just look at the first 50 pages... IT'S FLYING! haha... Oh well, LIFE, ya know?

I spent a chunk of time with the right steel brush wheels on my drill and just went to town on the Con-Ferr... i think I can paint it tomorrow(have to work tonight and still prepping... so no time today )

Then I'll get on the Aluminum Side Rails asap, to do my Con-Ferr/Close to the roof, Low Profile/Sliding Cage to the back-mod/ project, asap! hahahaha. Found the lights I wanna use up there.... They're rectangular, and easily fit inside the front frame/forward facing part of the Con-Ferr(Redeth knows what I'm talking about, haha). Gonna use the same in back, facing down for good light on the trails/working at the rear end of the truck on things like chopping wood late at night, setting up stuff for camp, etc., ya know? That would give me 6 secondary lights, total..... I want some lower power ones on the side, too...But not sure that would be legal as I think in CA, you can only have 8 Lights total, including your Head lights? Gonna look into it... and it's the least of this project.. Just wanna get the thing up there, first! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-10-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
nice mark....i'm so dang stereo system illiterate. Do you need an amplifier to run a sub and just the 4" speakers in the dash? What the heck is a sub anyhow? is that the bass sound? why is there only 1? I think that's what I'm going to need now that I have those two 4" speakers in the dash and removing the 6.5" out of the door panels.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 PM

Hey Grego! yeah, it just takes practice and reading up(and hopefully a rig without spaghetti soup wiring all over! haha)...

Sub=Subwoofer. There are many ways to do even that... (Enclosed box/vented box, installed in panels?) And many sizes, from 8" to 15", and 10" and 12" inbetween(Yes, there are bigger ones.. but for PRACTICAL use, not necessary). For your application, you might just want to get a small 8" sub box.

Far as having 1 sub... yep, that's all I need to make this thing shake the rear view til I can't see anything out of it, hahaa.. Shakes my brain too, but that's another story, hahaha.

YES, it's wise to amplify a sub.... BUT, you CAN run an 8" bazooka(it's a tube with a speaker on the end of it, for tight spaces, etc.).... and some of them have built in amplifiers. You just run the Sub woofer remote wire from your stereo to that(you need that to turn the sub on when turning the stereo on), and make sure you can dial it for more or less bass, and you're in biz! For your situation, I would actually keep the 6.5's... But I think you're not wanting to put any holes in the new panels, right? Hmmm.... They also have small triangular boxes that fit under your feet, tucked up against the front seat/underside a lil bit... That would let you have all 4 speakers, plus a sub. Because unless you're running Boston Acoustics, Infinity Kappa's or another like priced/quality leveled 4" speaker up there... I doubt just the 4" and a sub is gonna cut it. In all reality, the best SOUNDING thing would be those 4" speakers and some 6x9's under the seat. I can take pics of mine, so you can see the 6x9 or 6.5" 'BOXES' I'm speaking of. That way you don't have to cut your door and you don't need an amp.... Most good stereo's put out plenty for a small cab pick up. Do you have enough space on the walls behind the seats... The walls facing perpendicular to the longer rear wall... not the rear wall itself. If it's big enough, you could also mount 6.5 platform spacers there with self tapping screws, then mount the speakers and not have to cut the metal.... and then get pretty good sound. Obviously, it's going to sound better at the front of the doors, mounted in them... But if you're not wanting to go there... then yeah, gotta think up something, right? You could always try the 4" speakers with a small Sub behind the seats... see what you think. Just make sure you can adjust the Sub... cuz if not, it could drown out the 4"ers, ya know? Plus, you'll not have any of the POWERFUL Mid's like you would with a separately adjustable 6x9 or 6.5. Plus, the 6x9 or 6.5 could provide plenty of bass for some applications. ALSO, ... they make spacers/offsets for the doors for 6.5's and 6x9's too.... That way, you just have to have enough of a hole for wire to run through, maybe inside/bottom of the pocket, with the speaker housing and speaker sitting just above the pocket down there on the door... have you thought of those? You would still have to tap through the covers with screws and have supports on the back... But if you were looking to do a permanent sound system idea for your truck... who cares, right?

3 things you could do.........

1. Put a 8" or so Bazooka or other box that fits in the back behind the seat. Run a small amp, single channel to a single sub(unless you want REALLY lotssa boom boom).... and OR, try to just run the 8" speaker using the left and right rear speaker wires from your stereo... Using a crossover, that would allow you the 55Wx2 or whatever your deck has to those two speakers for the back, ... just to one sub! That would be plenty, most likely... Worth a try before you have to try and wire an amp in(Which isn't a big deal... and BTW, I HAVE a single channel 150W Amp you can try if you want? I'm not using it. It's a 'Zombie' Amp)

2. Run 2 6x9's or 6.5's in boxes under the seats. No amp necessary

3. OR, run the same as #2 in the door, in spacers/offsets.... Also no amp necessary. BUT, you could even run those, then add a small 8" sub in the back and you don't need any speaker wire from the deck for that... The sub get's it's sound/signal from the RCA's, .... so it doesn't run wire from the deck wiring, like the speakers in the Dash need to, ya know? That way, when you don't want it, like for talk radio, whatever, you could just turn the sub off and run the other 4, ya know?

I would opt for #3, this would give you the best sound and such.... But keep it adjustable so you can delete the sub if you want when not needed. Either #2 or #3 actually. #2 would give you boxes, if small enough, that are not in the way, yet provide all the compression they need, ...plus, it wouldn't make you mess with the doors... ANDDDDDDD, you can put extra wire and place them on the roof when you are camping, etc.! hahaha... That's how I have my 6x9's and now Sub set up... So I can move them anywhere in the Rig, or on top of it!

First, ...what kind of deck you have?
Old 07-10-2012, 02:35 PM

Grego, my 6x9 boxes are like this.........

http://www.amazon.com/VLYNX-PANDA-Sp...ker+enclosures

You could use many of these mods.....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...75&rnid=493964

Here's some for the speakers you already have.......

http://www.amazon.com/6-5-Carpeted-S...ker+enclosures

Not the best brand, ...but these would fit back there, I bet........(built in crossovers so just one pair of speaker wires to both boxes>>>>

http://www.amazon.com/Visonik-VP6TBX...ker+enclosures

Could also set up something SICK with marine gear, like these or otherwise.......>>>

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Flush-Mou...ker+enclosures
Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
All I know is my head unit is an Alpine. Thanks for that info, I think I'll go with with what's behind door #2. I think I need some smaller thinner type boxes to fit behind my seats though. I'll check around and see or make some.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 PM

Well, ...one of them in the Amazon Link was just for that... VERY thin, but a lil wider. AND, I'm not sure those 6.5 Component ones are very thick.. they look pretty thin, just for that kind of application(Visotek) or something like that.... Except, you just want boxes for the 6.5's you already have? I still say that behind the seats..... they'll loose something. Is this Buckets? If so, they DO make a couple kits that go between the seats/up against the back wall. I personally think that #2, which I actually mean "Boxes that sit under your feet, in the floor/seat spot"... Those would sound nice and keep the sounds from getting muffled BEHIND your seats.... See, if you just go with a Sub back there.. A small one, like an 8" and maybe a small amp to power the fronts and Sub, ... you would probably be 'ok with that' for now.... But I just think that those two, alone.... while it might sound 'ok at first'.. you'll feel something is missing... like thick mid's and powerful highs from a 6.5 or 6x9 put out, ya know? There HAS to be lots of good threads on this... And I didn't even think about that online GIANT, ... what is it... www.Crutchfield.com They not only probably have a perfect set of boxes for under/front of the seats... but they also have videos UP THE YING on how to install stuff, etc. How to choose an amp even. They don't have the best stuff for sale, I guess... But LOTS of options and huge selection. I wouldn't say "MUSIC IS MY LIFE, MAN!" hahaha... But I love having it around when I want it... and when it sounds LIKE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO? Wow, even better, right?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:10 PM

Hey Yotatech-Brethren! haha...

ORDERED: Brand New "Blower Motor Resistor" for Heat/AC Switch/4way. 9$, shipped, with Coupon from www.rockauto.com in email the other day!

Wanting to complete the order on the LED upgrade to my Dome Light with either new Dome Kit, literally new housing, etc., 10 HIGH FLUX LED DOME APPARATUS>>..... or, just the 30LED High Power Panel....

Not sure which is brighter/wider range of light. HIGH FLUX, with the lil glass towers around the LED's or High Power with MORE LED's on the panel... The 10 HIGH FLUX seems to pull more power than the 30 LED one... So I'm assuming the High Flux are brighter/wider range of light??????????? Anyone? I'ma google it, just thought an electronics dude on here might lemme know, hahaha. Would rather not remove the stock housing/replacing it.. but Maltese did it on his 4Runner and said it's VERY bright in front and back seats. Just have to use 2 self tapping screws in existing holes? I'm waiting for him to respond... s'all good, lol.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice on the amp install, sounds like you got a bumpin system, lol. I need to get a stereo system someday, lol. Look forward to seeing the con-ferr rack when your done, also to see what you come up with on the led dome light!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:39 PM

Hey Ed! Thanks for stopping in(of course it starts on a new page, every time I don't want it to... Gotta learn how that works one day! hahaha).....

So, if you want a dome light HOUSING AND LIGHTS that actually works and connects up fairly simply... I KNOW Maltese4runner has done it.... He posts on here, so just check his build thread and you'll see where he's talking about it, explaining it. Here's the actual kit he used........

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ecs%2Frdl.htm#
Old 07-11-2012, 01:15 PM

Mark, with 171 pages it would take me a week to re-read your thread....but I would enjoy the read.......thanks
Old 07-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Just catching up on your thread. I too am stereo illeterate, can do a basic setup but that is about it. Dont have a clue on all of the other things.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:51 PM

Bill, Terry... SUP!?!?!?!?

Thanks, Bill.... I know it's not always 'technical' or 'tutorial'... but there is lots of info, when I occasionally look back! haha... I also had like 6 other threads, total, regarding the timing cover fiasco, suspension, steering, AC, troubleshooting.... I just wish I'd kept them more organized... But oh well, hind sight, right? haha... ONE DAY, I'll create a concise, long post, with tons of links, covering everything I've done and learned(filled in at times/edited, as I remember, of course) haha....

Terry.... I guess practice makes....... better? hahaha. NEVER say perfect, right? haha... Anyway, I'm loving the sounds... very happy with what I got for now. If something comes up on CL, hey, I might jump on it... But it sounds PRETTY DARN GOOD for now. Most importantly, CLEAN, which is what I was shooting for.

Thanks again for the helping hand, Richard! (aka Redeth!! hehe)
Old 07-11-2012, 10:10 PM

Mark, you know in 256 years from now, someone at National Geographic Society was able to restore a 87 Toyota 4runner found from the 2067 Los Angeles earthquake from information from this 15,281 page build thread......
Old 07-11-2012, 11:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Ed! Thanks for stopping in(of course it starts on a new page, every time I don't want it to... Gotta learn how that works one day! hahaha).....

So, if you want a dome light HOUSING AND LIGHTS that actually works and connects up fairly simply... I KNOW Maltese4runner has done it.... He posts on here, so just check his build thread and you'll see where he's talking about it, explaining it. Here's the actual kit he used........

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ecs%2Frdl.htm#
Thanks for the link Mark! Those led dome light housings look pretty sweet! I need to replace at least the lenses on mine, it got hot and melted a hole in it, lol, I'll have to check out Maltese's build!

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Mark, you know in 256 years from now, someone at National Geographic Society was able to restore a 87 Toyota 4runner found from the 2067 Los Angeles earthquake from information from this 15,281 page build thread......
That just funny^^^, but true!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Thanks for the link Mark! Those led dome light housings look pretty sweet! I need to replace at least the lenses on mine, it got hot and melted a hole in it, lol, I'll have to check out Maltese's build!

That just funny^^^, but true!!!
Hahaha.... I guess they should find SOMETHING in there they could use, eh? Then again, they might see them as 'ANTI RED', eh chemmmm, I mean, 'ANTI GREEN'/ killing machines(all nonsense, but anyway)........ by then, .... but hey, would be cool to peer down and see some kid building one in his dad's garage with his robot! hahaha.

For some reason, that reminded me of that scene in the NEW Star Trek movie, where a young James T. Kirk has stolen his stepdads Early model Vette, then drives by his buddy on a bicycle to brag while he's running from the cops..................... then launches it off a Canyon after JUST BARELY jumping out in time? Anyone? hahaha... LOVED that scene

Yeah, Maltese has a SICK Runner, Ed!

BTW,..... ONE DAY after ordering.... Rock Auto's Package was in my mailbox with my new 'heater/ac blower resistor'! WOOT! hehe. Now I can avoid freezing the kiwi's! hahaha.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:06 PM

DAY TRIP; Angeles Crest with "Redeth"(Aka Richard)

What's up, Yotatech? Got together a few times now with Richard(Redeth), but usually to 'work' on stuff, haha... Today, we took a 60 Mile Trek through the Angeles Crest, Mt. Emma Road/Cheseboro Rd./Hunt Canyon OHV Roads&Trails/Big Rock Creek/South Fork/Big Rock Creek Road-to-the-2HWY Climb....... It was hot, but a blast!

Stopped at the Bridge before Monte Cristo Campground for a look over the edge, hahaha...

Power Roads Tangent off Mt. Emma Rd.... Hunt Canyon Rd....

Cheseboro Canyon Rd...........

Big Rock Creek/Trail across from Sycamore Flats Campsite...

Bushwack Yotatech.com emblem hahaha....

Heading up toward Big Rock Camp........

Heading up Upper Big Rock Creek Rd. to 2HWY-E. By Mt Waterman... 10K FT(? Can't remember off hand.... BEAUTIFUL views..)... This road got VERY nasty at points, ...but Richard got through/up the very steep, very loose rock road... VERY washed out this year....(He'll tell you all about it, I bet... It was a bit stressful at times, but FUN! )>>>

We got to the top and took some pics after our 4K Foot Climb(It's a 4K foot climb in Just a few miles...... Kinda like Climbing up to Mt. Whitney.. but not paved, HARDLY! haha... At the TOP OF THE WORLD! haha....

This is the View right behind Our rigs in the pics above...

The Road we came up was the downward portion to the left... The upward portion to the right... I've been up there with my Blazer... Didn't feel safe going up at that point with the way Richard's tires were looking/the way he was losing traction at times.... So we headed home from there... Here's the roads up to the top from the canyon you see below in the pics>>>

Got some pics with the Canon on the way home... but couldn't stop much, so it's mostly on the fly? hahaha...

Lil bit of the last burn..... IT WAS THOUSANDS and thousands of acres... But it's green all around the trees and even on many of them......

Mr. 20 in a 45!..OH, yeah, AKA 'Wont Pull Over' ....hahaha...

A turn out around 7K feet.......and a few more at the end of the afternoon, heading back down...... CRAZY winding road... bit of a workout, eh Richard? haha...

Have a few videos... But gotta clean em up a lil, ....eh chemmm, hahaha. And they're loading slow!

Went a lil nuts, especially on this rock garden and a couple pretty steep/mogul'd hills... Carnage....

1 Turn CV on mine, 2 on Richards... OOOPS! .... But hey, ... it IS in the fine print of the 'wheelin can be filled with carnage & FUN' Paperwork, ...RIGHT? >>>

Thanks for letting me share,... and thanks for coming with, Richard! Enjoyed wheelin with ya!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome pictures. nice to see you out on the trails. its cool to see how much a difference the BJ spacer set up is compared to stock. you can see where Redeth front right tire is kinda in the air but all 4 of yours was on the ground

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread