86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 01:29 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahaha... Thanks, guys! I already do take my nephews and have taken MY daughters since they were 3-4? They LOVED camping with me, .... even as they got older!(I know, teens don't usually like being with Dad! hahaha)... But, I thought most knew... I'm ALREADY a Grampa by my younger daughter, Haley. She had a boy, Jay-Michael, 2010/Feb.17... He's already a lil bruiser, ...but not quite ready for a serious off road trip... just a lil too much maintenance and more importantly... CAN'T risk their safety, EVER! But thanks, guys... I'm a young Grandpa, and most people I tell, even last night, laugh, and usually say something like ..........."shut up!" hahaha. So I show them a pic, and they say, "That's your kid, c'mon", hahaha.... "NOPE, that's her hubby right there... That's my daughter having her!" lol...

again, THANKS!

And yeah, Richard... I was quite shocked on the mileage.... And what I forgot to add to that equation was this;

This is the second trip with this motor.... FIRST trip with stock exhaust mani and pipe to 2" CAT and 2.25" out the back..... Did it help? Not sure, as the last trip I was probably on the skinny pedal more... But it's hard to tell, because of that, and, because I didn't stop til Needles, CA, which is another 150 Miles further than I stopped this time! lol. Have to look back through my results... But I think I had the air on most of the way too, and I still got 20-21mpg?
Old 06-23-2012, 01:50 PM

Here she is, ............. "Abigail"!!!! ...............

Old 06-23-2012, 02:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Beautiful family Chef. You gots good genes. Lol
Old 06-23-2012, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's great, you must be proud....give my best to your daughter....
Old 06-24-2012, 08:34 PM

Congratulations bud!!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:40 PM

congrats chef
Old 06-25-2012, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats! Mine will be here in a month.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:34 PM

THANKS ALOT, GUYS!

Yep, I am a very proud Grampa.... Young one, but a Grampa nonetheless! haha.

Honestly? I look at it this way... I might have wanted to wait for them to have kids... But they're both good moms and they're all healthy! Secondly, they don't have to worry about all the risk with having kids too late, etc., ya know? No matter what, .... they're HERE, and they get to experience life!

Take care, ya'all. Just trying to help a couple people right now on here as I'm pretty much TOO FREAKIN BUSY to do anything to "The Ruby Red Rig" lol.

BUT VERY SOON, I'll be;

1. Installing the AMP/s(? not sure yet whether one or both) and 10" JL Sub, ....

2. Installing the Nice Aluminum Side Rails and quick removable/sliding Con-Ferr Rack(after cleaning up the Con-Ferr and painting/possibly powder coating if this guy can do it for me).

3. Installing the Aisin Hubs(I don't dislike my Warns, in fact, they've NEVER ONCE given me a problem in the several times I've locked em in... The dial turns like butter, every time, never has once popped out on me, etc.)......

4. Installing the Driver side Power Mirror to replace my sloppy one(Thanks to Mr.ArmyAnt ) ......

5. Couple other things... not mentioning yet. lol. One MIGHT be re-installing my header after having an 02 bung installed/welded on.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Congrats Chef! Hope mom and babe are doing great.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:20 PM

Sounds like good plans you got there. Cant wait to see them in play. But for the moment, congrats to becoming more n more grandpa-ing haha hope that makes a little sense.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:31 PM

congrats on the little one.
cant wait to see the rack installed. i see a rack just like yours that is being parted out on a totaled runner. i havent had a need for it yet so ill hold off lol
Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats old man!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by rworegon
Congrats Chef! Hope mom and babe are doing great.
Thanks, RW! Yep, so far, doing great and happy to be home!

Originally Posted by vang_22re
Sounds like good plans you got there. Cant wait to see them in play. But for the moment, congrats to becoming more n more grandpa-ing haha hope that makes a little sense.
Thanks, Roger... I hope I can get them done sooner than later, ya know? Far as the rest ...... makes sense just fine, sir ....... BUT, ...thinking you meant "becoming more n more 'grandpa-ish' " ....???? hahahahaa. I think it's GREAT being a younger Grandpa.... I can't imagine, when the boy is 12 if I were 64, trying to hike/wheel/etc., some of the stuff I plan to do with him! haha... Instead, I'll be 54, and that should be just fine for plenty of daring adventure, yeah? lol.

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
congrats on the little one.
cant wait to see the rack installed. i see a rack just like yours that is being parted out on a totaled runner. i havent had a need for it yet so ill hold off lol
Thanks, Toyo!! And far as the 'can't wait to see the rack installed' portion.....I can't wait to see it installed, either! Haha... Gonna be nice to be able to slide it on and off fairly easily... Just have to make time, FIRST, to clean it up and either paint or have it powdercoated(there's a big booth in Wilmington that I know someone works at..... Just not easy for him to give me a deal unless he's on solo that day, ya know? Trying to do it for cost... which still isn't super cheap, lol. Plus, I'll give him something as well. I also want to have my AX and Hi-Lift mounts ready to go, as well as the 4x6 KC lights w/quick disconnect ready as well....

..... Just hard to find ANY time right now... I'm just so grateful I was able to be there during the birth of my Granddaughter! Watching her born was like VITAMIN SANITY/HAPPINESS, just enough to hold me over for a while, ya know? haha...

Originally Posted by Outsane
Congrats old man!
What's that, Sonny? I can't hear ya? hehehe. Hmmmm, I don't feel old... but I guess I am in some circles, lol. S'all good Plus, I can still tear it up with most anyone.... Just feel it a lil more afterward, that's all! hahaha.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:10 PM

time is always a factory. im just glad i have my weekends off from work to handle what i need to get done. maintaining a house is alot of work so most of it is spent on that haha
Old 06-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Congratulations Grandpa.. Four generations photo at that. Bet it was an exciting moment for all.

Good to see your mileage is coming up. I would say you are about right were the norm is. Your city mileage may seem low, but stopping and going kills your mileage, especially if you never get into 4th or 5th gear.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:56 PM

Thanks, Terry! I really just thought about that, again, just now! From Great Grandma, Grandpa, Mom, ......she's got TONS of love coming... and from there, there's TONS more!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:59 PM

OK guys.... I started prepping the Con-Ferr....... HOLY CRAPULA! That thing has cost me 2 hours already of running a hard wheel brush on my drill on it.... Couple of them. But it's gonna be rust free and CLEAN when it's done I want to prep it and paint/powder coat(not sure yet) first, as I could do the roof/rails, but haven't decided between two options I have on installing them... Plus, the rack needs to be done first, ya know? lol.

Heading to pick-your-part, tomorrow, with Richard(redeth)..... Should be fun.... Aside from the 90-95*F weather? hahaha.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:13 PM

Pick-Your-Part was cool... Richard(REDETH) is a solid dude I didn't get much, but did find a couple things for him, and then he found some cool stuff he actually needed. That's always good. It was HOT AS THE 7TH RING OF HELL and the sun, WOW, it was more intense than most any time I've been there... I got a pic or two of my neck and how it was burnt to the point of "Cherry Tomato Status"... but it's too blurry(Hard to take a picture of your neck in back, haha. Anyway, trust me, WE BOTH GOT CRISPY! haha.

VERY nice to meet you in person, Richard(REDETH)... Hope to hit the mountains soon for at least the day, yeah?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:34 PM

OK, the main reason I checked in was to share my maiden visit with my Granddaughter, Abbygail. It was SO FANTASTIC to see my daughter with her BB-girl! And my granddaughter? WOW, what a cool/mellow bb! I'll just post up a few pics, to share with my buds on here.......

And of course, there's always a silly one, where we sometimes see something that cracks us up.......... In this one, she's throwin up gang signs, .....or maybe laying a rap down/hand gestures to match! hahahahaa....

Just thought I'd share with you guys.... She's such a good baby and WOW, quite the appetite! haha... I brought over a bunch of food for my daughter and her hubby, already made/mostly made on some... So they can just heat up things and grub. It's a lotta work, a newborn.... So I thought I'd try to help out a lil bit if I could. Stuffed her fridge full/freezer too, hahaha... Then hung out and played with Abby for a few hours, talked with my beautiful daughter, Kayla... And then headed home with a smile on my face! Yep, I'm pretty young to be a grandpa 2 times... But both my girls are pretty wonderful mothers.... And I'd rather play ball with the boy when I'm 48 and whatever the girl chooses to do(activity wise) when I'm 50 or so, then starting they're "Hard Playing" years when I'm in my 60's or 70's? hahaha. I probably wont end up having more kids...(never know, but doubtful! haha)... So I'll just have lots of fun with the kids of my kids, right? haha....

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-01-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:07 AM

Oh man you are burnt as hell dude. I thought I looked bad lol.
And hot as the 7th ring of hell. That was hilarious. And its true it was horrible weather.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread