86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That would be hilarious. But We thats something we have to do. Then again who knows. I havent off-roaded in over 4 years. And i definitely wanna see what my truck can handle. and just go for the thrill.

I might make up some excuse about having the "Bubble Gutts" lol or having to work mandatory overtime. After all, i did tell my dad i'd make fathers day up to him this weekend. So that would be perfect. lol
Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh wow, man... I was just messin... Don't want to encourage you to miss a commitment! haha... I totally get it, and it's CRUCIAL for success in such a competitive market

..........still, lemme know! hahaha. IF, by some chance, someone ELSE cancels the practice... and you decide to go... lemme know, ya know? If I CAN go, I WILL go!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 PM

Ill ask the guy tomorrow. I mean after all we are trying out the bassist tomorrow as well. And I still owe my dad a make up fathers day since he was gone this past Sunday. I might actually do it. Plus it'll be nice to get some pix on of this baby. Lol

I might actually go through with it. And just say its work related or something.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Glad to see you are back. I know time with Pops is never enough and looks like you had a great time and some great pics.

I am going to start doing fix and sells myself here soon. Too bad the brick red truck didnt work out for you. I wouldnt let a wiring harness hold you up as long as you can get a good replacement for one in the future. Hopefully you wont have to deal with a harness swap, but it isnt anything to be afraid of.

The first time can be a little intimidating getting it out, but then you know how it goes back in and it is easy after that.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
WAIT......Photobucket is back on, so I'll just post one. Forgive the wiring loom, it's just a piece of loom that went on the AFM wiring...sorry, lol........

Sorry, i know im only on page 5 but i couldnt hold off to find out. Does your engine still look like this? This clean? Jeez. I'm sure if i had done my own engine rebuild i probably would have done it as clean as you did. But considering i hardly have any knowledge of any interior motor mechanic work i decided to leave it to the professional.
Glad he painted mine Black and gray. But i wish i would have been able to deep clean everything under the hood like you did before he threw the motor back in. oh well.... Damn dude my heart goes out to all your hard work and effort. Great job. ( i know im about 3 years late with that hahahah. )
Old 06-21-2012, 12:54 PM

Well, I"m a bit, ...NO, HUGELY upset, lol. The wrap around pipe that goes into the rear firewall, wraps around the passenger side of the block, bolting into the bottom of the head? LEAKING!!!!!!!!!!!! Not horribly, but I'm sure, under pressure, IT WOULD get worse...and I'm curious........is that an oil pipe? I could have sworn it was a water pipe, and at this point, guys, I'm not sure if I'll have to tear down the intake again, or if I can get to it from the pass. side.

Sorry, hoped to have had a video for you guys by now, but I guess it's good that I found it before running it on initial break in for 20 minutes, possibly running it dry!~

ANY IDEAS? PLEASE?
Dude this is hilarious. NOT THE QUOTE, but my reactions as i read. I'm reading everything starting from page 1. And I'm growing more and more anxious to see what happens next and your results. This thread to me is like what a Soap opera to a girl. lol Sorry that disaster happened.

Last edited by Redeth005; 06-21-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:25 PM

Hahaha... Yeah, I laugh alot.... NOW, looking back, as well! lol. ... Course, I tried to laugh alot then, too, for I was just learning most of this stuff...and if I let it get to me? MEH, forget it! YA KNOW?

Well... it looks MOSTLY like that, but without the header(for now) and without the CAintake(sold to a member on here). Lots of dust... but I can get that pretty quick, haha. I figure, "Hey, I'm'a apparently have my hands in this thing a LOT, over the next few months(which is strange, seeing it just went ON AND ON with one nightmare after another!).... and I would rather not have my hands soaked in grease everytime I work on it! I don't agree that the motor has to be dirty to be officially 'grrr'! hahaha.... Never thought that way about my Hot rods... neither did any of my buddies/neither of my brothers..... They just seem to run better"(unless you get sensitive things wet, hehe)... You can see in the pics just how FILTHY the stuff was.... I mean, I got 2 CUPS, at least, of heavy/dense grease! haha.... 25 years worth, ya know? lol.

Glad you're enjoying it... And no worries, I'm sure you'd have been reading along/helping out if you could.... But then again, you're a V6 Brother, hahaha.... I mean, as much as I've learned,.... I STILL don't know too much about the Six.... but WITH all that I learned, I realize most of it is the same, just a couple more holes, different set up with the cams/heads/timing belt.... But Combustion is combustion, pretty much.... As long as we do a good Process Of Elimination, ..... EVERYTHING can be figured out, ...EVENTUALLY! lol. Some stuff takes far longer, makes us wanna burn em.... But it's especially frustrating when you spend GOOD money to have something done and get a KNOB for a machinist/builder!

Oh, and this isn't including my timing cover thread, oil leak thread, troublshooting thread..... I forget half the ones I've done, hahaha. I'm glad I didn't give up..... I'd not have met so many good people(many of them in person now) and I'd not have learned enough to at least try and tackle ANYTHING if it's giving me drama! hahaha.

That wrap around pipe, for coolant, ended up being a 'I CLEANED IT TOO MUCH' problem, even after I got the new 0-ring! GRRRR, haha. So, I tore it down again, replaced it with one from Japanese Truck Dismantlers, along with the timing cover t-pipe.... and called it a day.... It never leaked again....BUT, the motor just got worse and worse from there, hahahaha. Did I mention, my machinist was a knob? heheh

Hope you find some helpful stuff in here... I know a few have.... just short cuts, etc. Woot! hehe
Old 06-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I dont know how you keep your engine compartment looking so good. I have spent hours getting my motor looking good and sooner then later, I get my grubbies all over it and looks like I never did anything with it.

How many times I have seen your motor and just now noticed the smooth pipe for your intake. That has to make some performance difference and does give a cleaner look. Guess the rest of your engine bay drew the attention away from it. Looks great.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark, i hope your not driving the truck with the radiator hose clamps like that and also im digging the invisiable spark plug wires hehe 15 extra horse power
Old 06-21-2012, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I dont know how you keep your engine compartment looking so good. I have spent hours getting my motor looking good and sooner then later, I get my grubbies all over it and looks like I never did anything with it.

How many times I have seen your motor and just now noticed the smooth pipe for your intake. That has to make some performance difference and does give a cleaner look. Guess the rest of your engine bay drew the attention away from it. Looks great.
Well, the reason you probably didn't think much on the powder coated LCE CAIntake pipe and bracket is cuz.... I sold it and put the stock one back in, hahaha.... Far as clean... I just tried to keep it really clean as I reassembled it and so, ...there's really no grease/oil to track over to other things, ya know? It doesn't leak a drop(not any more, anyhow! hahaha). It's filthy now, cuz that Talcum like sand at Havasu just went everywhere. That's fine, I'm not worried about it, and when I have time, I'll clean it up around winters start, when most of the trips for the year are done(if I can even get more in ) Thanks for the compliments, Terry I will probably put the header back on, but not for a bit. It's running fine and i want to focus on a few other things like the roof rack/sound system/sliders/Aisin Hubs, ...... etc., etc., you know, the other projects I've put off for DAYZ! lol.

Originally Posted by vang_22re
Mark, i hope your not driving the truck with the radiator hose clamps like that and also im digging the invisiable spark plug wires hehe 15 extra horse power
Hahaha.... Yeah, that's a pic VERY early on... I think that was before I even found those couple leaks and needed to tear it down 3 more times before driving it for 3500 miles or so.... and then fully rebuilding the ENTIRE MOTOR! hahaha. I didn't have the LCE Wiring Billet or wires in, tons of vacuum to go, etc. But yes, you're right.... that would make a MESS! haha.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 PM

Guys,.... curious,...

I removed my auto locking hubs to put on Warn Premiums(I KNOW, I know... but this was before I had ANY clue as to what was best and got them for 40$ open box from a buddy at 4wheelparts).... BUT, just yesterday, I got a set of Aisin Locking Manual Hubs, complete, with cone washers(which I still have a set of from the auto locking hubs) and I wanted to know if I need a conversion kit from WabFab(another conversion kit, since the one I used was Warn?)... in order to remove the Warns and just get these Aisin's on there??? (after cleaning them up, etc., of course!) Or can I remove the Warns and slap these on there?
Old 06-22-2012, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by RBX
MS Paint straight line

Press and hold the shift key while drawing the line.
Probably the most relevant comment of all times.
Thank you for this
Old 06-22-2012, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I wish I could answer that for you but have never converted from one to another. Just curious as to why you are changing? I have heard the Aisins are better, but the Warns seem to do good for mild wheeling. Getting those cone washers off is a royal pain at times. I have been getting plenty of experience on that lately. Definetly lube them up when putting back in.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:27 PM

I am sure you can just slap them on. I meant after you take off those warn hubs

But i can be wrong...

My bro in law has warn hubs and the last time i took a look at it, it looked like that were just directly bolted on
Old 06-23-2012, 11:29 AM

I will get to those posts, above, .... but first, MY OLDEST DAUGHTER HAD HER FIRST CHILD, YESTERDAY, 9PM, 8#, 8oz. beautiful lil girl! 20" long! haha. Gonna be tall like her momma. I'ma check with her first before posting ANY Pics.... Just not my right to do that without asking... She'll pick out which ones are ok! hahaha. That was a long 20 hours to add to my already long day'd life lately! hahaha.... I'm pooped! HOWEVER, YES, I realize, ...she's far more pooped than me! hahaha.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:31 AM

OK, .............Some mileage 'notes' I see on this site, ....well, they just baffle me at times... BUT,.... NOT EVEN going to get into "This has to be nonsense" or any of that crap.... Pretty much take people at their word unless I can prove otherwise or the more common scenario; I just find out they are mistaken, by their own admission of "Oooops, that's the portion of the quotient that I messed up on". And who knows.... Sometimes, they might just have that freak rig, eh?

My point in mentioning that is that, well, I've seen quotes on other threads that just seem, well, silly. 27MPG towing a trailer???? IN A 3.0? Anyway, like I said, NOT IMPORTANT to me... What's important to me is that, 1. I at least get close or better, here and there, regarding what THE STICKER ON THE WINDOW SAID! haha... And 2., that I figure out if something is wrong around town/if the lil miss I have at idle is actually something contributing to a lil more go-go-juice waste, etc.

Here's what I've found, recently(Regarding 3 tanks);

1. First tank, doing semi-city(drove to Long Beach, over the bridge, mostly at 35-45 the whole way without a lot of stops).... 17.5mpg upon filling up at 2.5 Gallons.

2. Second tank, Heading out to Arizona, from L.A./South Bay via the 91/710/105/605/210/ then 15 over the Cahon Pass and all the subsequent climbs there, stopping at the 40hwy Turnoff from the 15........ (130 Miles and 5.5 Gallons later = 23.333 MPG. / Considering 31" tires and 4.30 gears, around 24.22 MPG)........ Up to that point, I did NOT turn the A/C on, but I did use the cruise control, THANK YOU VERY MUCH, ADAM!(Still can't thank you enough for how much that improved my 350Mi. Journey!!!). I also did my best to never go over 70mph, mostly doing 65mph(which wasn't that difficult considering there was a lil bit of a crowd leaving for Vegas over the Fathers Day Holiday.....GO DAD'S! haha/I noticed it was Vegas, more so, or other lakes, etc., because more people kept on the 15hwy toward Vegas, more so, than were following me onto the 40hwy toward Needles/Kingman/Lake Havasu.

3. Third tank, from 40/15Hwy's Junction, to Lake Havasu, AZ, A/C on most of the way, 70-75mph, heavy head winds at times(HOLY CRAPOLI, GUYS.... I'M SERIOUS, it was scary a couple times, man... Semi's all over the road, etc.... Worst I've seen in my trips out there), also using Cruise Control whenever possible, hahaha.... 175mi and 9 gallons later = 19.8 mpg ........ Considering 31" tires and 4.30 gears.... That's 20mpg on the dot.

NONE of the aforementioned is a concern to me... , and in fact, I'm GRATEFUL for that with a 25 year old/mostly restored 4WD with pretty rudimentary EFI! The concern/or more so, 'curiosity', is in City Driving of the ole "SEA OF RED" in L.A./South Bay! That, still, is giving me around 14mpg, MAX! 10mpg gap? I guess it's possible with all the stop and go around town... But I'm still suspicious of my 'apparent' miss(mysterious gremlin from the 4th ring of hell! haha) being a culprit in my 'sucking a bit more go-go-juice in red light hell'! haha.

Cheers, ya'all..... While I'm curious.... I will NOT be spending any substantial time, any time soon, under the hood trying to figure out IF OR NOT something is 'awry!' lol..... I'M COOL WITH THAT^^ , LOL. However, I'll still keep asking around for things to check, because.... after all, while 80% of this rig is either new parts or reconditioned, along with an obviously properly built 22REC(that's right, I said it! hahaha).... There are PLENTY of things still on there/within the wiring/ that could be a cause for the 'rumble in the jungle at idle', ya know? So I'll keep my ears open, and if something pops out at me, ... I'M ON IT! .........

.......Because, well, EVERYONE within their right mind wants to save a lil on Gas, NO?
Old 06-23-2012, 12:22 PM

if your still looking to add the manual locking hubs, I believe there is a snap ring or something (I would have to check the fsm) that the manual hubs use that the automatic hubs do not. I just don't remember what it is... but again, that is for a SFA maybe IFS is different?
Old 06-23-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I will get to those posts, above, .... but first, MY OLDEST DAUGHTER HAD HER FIRST CHILD, YESTERDAY, 9PM, 8#, 8oz. beautiful lil girl! 20" long! haha. Gonna be tall like her momma. I'ma check with her first before posting ANY Pics.... Just not my right to do that without asking... She'll pick out which ones are ok! hahaha. That was a long 20 hours to add to my already long day'd life lately! hahaha.... I'm pooped! HOWEVER, YES, I realize, ...she's far more pooped than me! hahaha.
Congratulations on being a GRANDPA!!! Lol, glad that your daughter and grandbaby are healthy and all went well, despite the long process of labor, lol. Congrats again Chef!
Old 06-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Lol imagine what kind of gas mileage I get on my 3.0 ha ha! I wish i got as much as u.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:42 PM

And congrats Mark. I know I told ya on the phone. But ill say it once more! You're gonna be one of those kick ass grandpas kids love to visit. I can already see you taking ur grand kids off road. Lol.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread