86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, hahaha... It was weird tho.... Never felt it much, it sucked it up pretty well and as you can see, never really dropped when it did that. I've done fine for years wheeling IFS, especially locked, like with my last Runner and this one... There's always a way, it's just not as capable as SFA, plain and simple... Buttttt, .... I don't really care to chop this one up... and when I'm cruising on the Mammoth Hot Lakes/Hot Springs Trails back into the Sierras... I can do 65-70 on those roads, flying, while my buddy in the SFA 85 is disappearing in my rear view! hahaha. The 86 I had had Downey T-bars, relaxed, bj spacers, good shocks and even mostly stock it would FLY down those roads... Washboard, etc., and my buddy just couldn't handle the 'shake', lol... BUT, when up there, at times, we'd jump in his to creep a lil further in/over stuff, saving our spot and just taking his SFA rig up and in. But for the most part, I'd ALMOST ALWAYS find a way around and in, and when the Sand and open bumpy stuff came up, he'd ride with me on those 20 or so mile trips back in the wide open, cuz he just couldn't keep up and didn't wanna waste A SINGLE MINUTE of daylight when we'd go searching, ya know?

Anyway, I also wanted to mention; When I got to my dads, I called from the driveway, and said, "Hey Dad! Love ya, just seeing how you are"... we spoke for 5 minutes or so, just to TOTALLY get him off guard.... Telling him, "Yeah, families doing ok over here".... etc. Then, I said, "Just wanted to call and say HAPPY FATHERS DAY!".... as I walked in, quietly, from the Garage.... Then I said, "BUT THEN I THOUGHT I'D JUST STOP BY!" AND HE TURNED AND JUST ABOUT SWALLOWED HIS TONGUE he was laughing so hard/while shocked! hahaha. THAT WAS PRICELESS, I'll never forget it!

So, here's the other video I got, wheeling deep into the bushwack and such, with Mikey(the Nephew/12yr old)...Nothing crazy, but it was REALLY fun and I REALLY miss using this thing like I used to! (Tore up the thick coat of wax while bushwacking in that thistle brush, ...but that's what thick coats of wax are for, eh? hahaha >>>>>>>>>>>>

TURN DOWN THE VOLUME, his camera was a cheapy with a terrible mic..... >>>>

Old 06-19-2012, 01:35 PM

Sorry guys, .... Photobucket only allows 10min videos, so it cut it in half... I can't do it with Youtube cuz it's making it look TERRIBLE! Not sure why. Must be the camera isn't good enough that he had. Anyway, here's the rest of it... and I did a lil messing with it at in Windows Movie Maker, never used it before, sorry, hahaha.....

Old 06-19-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glad you had a good time with your pop, and that you got to suprise him. nice videos too man looks like you guys had a great time and the the performed good. I was out thru that area early last week never realized how beutiful that lake is.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats awesome. his face must have been priceless.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:05 PM

Driving to AZ = $120
Driving in 120* heat = $50
Seeing dad laugh = priceless!

Haha glad you had a good time and spending time with pops. Those roads seems like a big old maze. I wouldnt know how to get out of that. Haha o yea forgot to mention you were bear foot. Thats my style buddy hahaha
Old 06-19-2012, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
glad you had a good time with your pop, and that you got to suprise him. nice videos too man looks like you guys had a great time and the the performed good. I was out thru that area early last week never realized how beutiful that lake is.
Thanks, and yep, he was truly, totally surprised!(thanks, Mamma Susie, Mike, Brother Rob, ..... for not telling him! They knew for days and didn't let it slip, WOOT! ) Yeah, it really performed great! Normally, I'd have been flying through some of that, ..........but with the nephew, ....nahhh! lol. His dad/my bro, would have been "SPEED UP AND GET SOME AIR!" hahaha... But no way, not while he's in the rig... Just not worth the risk, plain and simple/not debatable! haha. It is truly a beautiful lake/Beautiful Wheeling country all around it for miles, and all up the Colorado River that feeds it There is some SICK Camping spots up in the mountains on the way back to the 10Frwy, between Havasu and Parker and beyond Parker even!

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Thats awesome. his face must have been priceless.
Yeah, as I said above... it was something I will not forget! He was so shocked and simultaneously filled with joy.... Tearing up even! SIMPLY THE BEST present I could ever give him, ya know? "PEEKABOO!" HAHAHAHA!

Originally Posted by vang_22re
Driving to AZ = $120
Driving in 120* heat = $50
Seeing dad laugh = priceless!

Haha glad you had a good time and spending time with pops. Those roads seems like a big old maze. I wouldnt know how to get out of that. Haha o yea forgot to mention you were bear foot. Thats my style buddy hahaha
Oh yeah, it's a total maze, but if you just keep going, eventually you will hit markers you realize are a 'going in circles' verification! haha... OR, you'll just hit the main inlets. From where I turned off, I could drive MILES of those loops before I'd have to turn around. It's really beautiful in there, full of places to chill in the shade by the Lake, etc. And what's great about that part, Body Beach, etc., etc., ... you can pull up your boat in one of 100 places and chill, right there, all day/over night if you want(in many of them). That's MUCH better than going to the boat ramps(if your trailer/vehicle is capable of getting you in and out/dropping stuff while in the Sand)... because you don't have to drop it and then go park the trailer and truck 200-600 yards from where you want to go back and get in the boat! hahaha.... You can even drop a ski or boat and dock it right there/anchor it, then pull up in the shade and park it, lock it up and walk back to the boat/ski like 20 Feet! haha. All up and down the Colorado, you can Camp pretty much anywhere, too... But you'd BETTER make sure you know when they open the dams, and be DAYUM sure your rig is above the high-level warning mark when it's opened! hahaa.... MANY a person has woken up with their truck/car filling up with water! Mostly trucks, as most of that Sand is like 2feet deep and soft as talcum powder! It can swallow your rig if you have too much gear/weight, easily, even aired down.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:10 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
.. There's always a way, it's just not as capable as SFA, plain and simple... Buttttt, .... I don't really care to chop this one up... and when I'm cruising on the Mammoth Hot Lakes/Hot Springs Trails back into the Sierras... I can do 65-70 on those roads, flying, while my buddy in the SFA 85 is disappearing in my rear view! hahaha. The 86 I had had Downey T-bars, relaxed, bj spacers, good shocks and even mostly stock it would FLY down those roads... Washboard, etc., and my buddy just couldn't handle the 'shake', lol... BUT, when up there, at times, we'd jump in his to creep a lil further in/over stuff, saving our spot and just taking his SFA rig up and in. But for the most part, I'd ALMOST ALWAYS find a way around and in, and when the Sand and open bumpy stuff came up, he'd ride with me on those 20 or so mile trips back in the wide open, cuz he just couldn't keep up and didn't wanna waste A SINGLE MINUTE of daylight when we'd go searching, ya know?
Oh I know exactly what you mean dude. I'm sad to sacrifice the IFS but on the other hand its worth the sacrifice because those guys I normally go off roading with all have SFA's on their trucks, 4runners, Jeeps, etc... And all the trails they do are harder then a lot of others. A lot of rock crawling trails. So doing the SAS would be ideal for me to get. I mean dont get me wrong its not like extreme extreme rock crawling but it is better to have a SFA for those trails.

Ive read a lot about what people say about how your truck drives smoother and more confortable and faster with IFS. But, I know and acknowledge that I have a heavy foot so maybe a SAS is exactly what I need to keep me in check with my speed. After all you shouldn't be going 70mph or over with 33"+ tires and lift. It's not safe. So this will be good to have. Not to mention I have a 3.0 V6 motor which are known to waste gas if u go higher then 70mph/3rpms or try to be a speed racer lol(its a gas guzzler regardless but doing that stuff makes it worse.) YotaTech taught me alot on my motor and how to avoid wasting so much gas and changes I can do to lower that consumption. So a SAS will be perfect for me to have. Not to mention when i do get the SFA in and the 5.29 gears with front and rear lockers I'm definitely gonna be able to crawl over a building if I really wanted to LOL. And the 3.0, although it'll use more gas, at least itll have the extra power I need to help out in "hard to get out of" situations.

Still envy all your 22re motors though. But I'm happy with my rebuild.

Last edited by Redeth005; 06-20-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:11 PM

NOT EVEN dogging what you're doing, Richard! I am still planning to do an SAS on a donor rig in the future. I will be doing a 1UZ swap into it as well.

The plans you have and the rebuild you did(and the power/results you got) are GREAT! THAT THING IS GONNA KILL IT! HAHA. I wouldn't be able to crawl up that stuff with ya in the set up I have, no doubt... So if that's what you're going for, you're building it PERFECTLY for what'll be required of it

For me, seeing that I do more Dunes and Trails that are not so BOLDER'ish, LOL..... I'm just sticking with the IFS on mine....... I like the speed of getting there where I go cuz many places are so far in, ya know? "Great Wide Open Washboard", hahaha.

Enjoying watching your build, Richard... I admire that you're going all out with quality parts/most flex possible, not too big of a tire, etc.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
NOT EVEN dogging what you're doing, Richard! I am still planning to do an SAS on a donor rig in the future.

Enjoying watching your build, Richard... I admire that you're going all out with quality parts/most flex possible, not too big of a tire, etc.
Lol didnt say you were dogging it ha haa!
And BTW what do you mean by "I am still planning to do an SAS on a donor rig in the future." You are gonna do a SAS when you get a truck to take it off of and swap it into your 4runner? or you plan to fix up a completely different truck with a SFA?

Maybe im a bit slow but i didnt understand that by reading it. lol

Oh and Thanks im glad to hear a few people are enjoying my Build Thread.

HAPPY DANCE!
Old 06-20-2012, 02:21 PM

Oh, yeah.... that's why I said, "DONOR" rig... Have to find a 'shell', ready to go/not beat up, then I'll yoink the IFS and swap in a SFA and the lot........ BUT, I'm still debating as to whether to find a stock 85 or something and just modify it a bit(I don't want something SO BEEF, like you're doing... Maybe enough to get 33x10.50's on it and hi-steer? Then, I could just do the 1UZ swap into my red one, eventually... Problem is, it'll HOPEFULLY/likely run another 150K before I have to dig into it AT ALL again! hahaha.... We'll see... I almost bought an 87, Brick Red, No motor/trans or Engine Wiring Harness... Everything else was there..... But he wanted 600$ and wouldn't budge... Just couldn't pull it off right at that moment and then park it, etc. I need to get something I can get started on right away with EXACTLY what I have available to me, ya know? Yeah, we'll see is the best way to play it for me........... Life is kinda crazy right now. But I'M ALWAYS looking for a "fix it up and sell it" project, OFTEN, anyway... So that may come up first, ya know? hahaa.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:22 PM

And, yeah, I knew you probably didn't mean "why you doggin my rig?" hahaha.... Just making that clear so as to avoid any misunderstandings, ya know? hehe.... Those seem to find me, OFTEN!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:10 PM

thanks chef! I appreciate your compliments. i need to to something with the rear suspension, it dosent drop enough and i hop up obstacles alot.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:21 PM

I'll invite you one of these days when an off-road trip pops up with my old Toyota off-road buddies. Trust me seeing their trucks and what they can do is gonna make you want a SFA of your own lol.
Oh btw What im planning on doing to my truck wouldnt be so something "SO BEEF, like you're doing... " if i didnt have the 4" lift that im putting on it. Ive seen an SAS 4runner with no lift.(except in the back to make it even out) and it looked really nice. but as for me, i always wanted 33-35" tires to begin with so going extreme with the 4" lift and 35's and sas is perfect for what i always wanted.

Just saying you can still pull of that nice clean stock look you have with an sas it will just be slightly taller then what it sits at now.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:26 PM

Longer Hangers, Some grease-able hangers and a 'clean' and 'no need for massive modifiation' leaf pack swap/mod, .... we should be good to go for more rear droop(You'll have to do other things for the front, not read up on that, but must be similar...) Then, just get the proper travel shocks and SHAZAMM! lol. You're welcome, Jesse... it's a sick rig, and you have my respect, for sure, even in 'WAITING TO FIND THE ONE YOU WANTED!', even if it cost a LIL bit more(I know, you got a good deal on that thing, too, so extra props! hahaha)

Thanks for stopping in.... I'm trying to continue to keep working on it... Slowly but surely, it'll get more and more capable. (Oh, yeah,.... can't forget the Proportioning Valve back there, ...might need to stretchy a lil bit? ......(LSPV?)
Old 06-20-2012, 03:27 PM

BTW, Guys;

I got a package today! Woot! From a member here;

1. Both power mirrors in good shape
2. AFM that seems to have a really smooth vane sweep(I'ma test it)
3. A pair of Aisin Manual Locking Hubs.................

100$, SHIPPED!

Thanks, Taylor.... very much appreciate doing biz witcha!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
I'll invite you one of these days when an off-road trip pops up with my old Toyota off-road buddies. Trust me seeing their trucks and what they can do is gonna make you want a SFA of your own lol.
Oh btw What im planning on doing to my truck wouldnt be so something "SO BEEF, like you're doing... " if i didnt have the 4" lift that im putting on it. Ive seen an SAS 4runner with no lift.(except in the back to make it even out) and it looked really nice. but as for me, i always wanted 33-35" tires to begin with so going extreme with the 4" lift and 35's and sas is perfect for what i always wanted.

Just saying you can still pull of that nice clean stock look you have with an sas it will just be slightly taller then what it sits at now.

Right on, Richard.... I'd LOVE to go! Just hope there's a couple 'intermediate' trails that I can take AROUND some of the stuff you guy's will be doing.... I can't hike 5miles up mountains as easily as I used to hahaha.

Honestly, brother..... IT'S GONNA BE SICK, I know it! I love the look of the moderately lifted/35's, etc...... I also LOVE the bigger ones, too... Just not practical for ME, that's all. But yes, I've seen ones like you mention, ....they're just fine, especially if you set them up just right. I really love 33x10.50's, and I think I'd go that route, even if I did grab either an SAS project or 84-85 Runner, ya know?

Can't wait to see your beauty come together, man! Fun watching it happen too though, ya know? hahaha.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:25 PM

Well This past weekend he invited me to go this coming up suday. But i coudnt go =(
I made it a point to ask him if he was sure that my truck would be able to handle the trails with the stock IFS it has right now. and he told me "Oh definitely." he said that there are hard parts and right next to it you can go around it with less advanced trucks lol
So im sure it'd be possible for you to get around. Not to mention the places i went off roading with them before i was still able to to make it through the trails they went through with my old red truck. and my truck didnt have a locker. Your truck does. So you're set.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:50 PM

Ahhh, gotcha! So,...........you can NOT go this Sunday?
Old 06-20-2012, 05:58 PM

yea. We normally have band practice on Sundays. and we are trying out a new bassist for the band this thursday and sunday. Wanna make sure he has what it takes to make the cut. and we had already set the date for a while back ago. It's too soon to start making call offs. especially since i was the one who declared we should be more dedicated to making it the one day a week and having less call offs.

It will look kind of funny if i didnt go after saying that ha ha ha.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:13 PM

Hmmmm, well, you could blame it on that kitty in the pic<<<<< Just say, "GUYS, you wont believe it... My kitty chewed on the wires while jamming and got electramacuted!..... We have to take him to Angeles Crest National Forest Wilderness Hospital in my newly rebuilt 4Runner" ........NO? .... :>/

hehehe.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread