Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want cruise control in my truck

Congrats on the cruise working out.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by malteserunner
Cool, Mark! Glad it worked out for you. I hope it makes your trip to AZ easier.
Yes, very cool, THANKS TO YOU! I can't imagine having to pay like 488$(AT 28% OFF!) for one of these through toyotapartszone or something... And of course, I wouldn't...... most likely! hahaha. Honestly? If it was like 200$ even, and I couldn't find one used?... I MIGHT(if I could afford that right now! hehe). I just really appreciate having it that much. Most of my 'voyages' are involving 95% LONG distance mileage to GET THERE(300-1200 miles), then the REALLY fun part is the remaining 5%, which is when I don't really care about Cruise, haha... Not that the long distance portion is bad.. in fact, I LOVE long drives in this thing! I have decent sounds, books on mp3, 100 hours of Golden Radio Hour with stuff like Orson Wells and Humphry Bogart doing "The Black Museum"(A real place in Scotland Yard, where the most brutal cases in their history are archived).... "The Masque of the Red Death" narrated by Burroughs(LOVE that, used to freak my daughters out with it.... But they'd ALWAYS ask to hear it again and again, haha.... Something about Edger Allen Poe on a long journey... no interruptions.. You can really get into it, no kidding! haha. I also stop quite a bit to bust out the Canon-D... Just really dig taking panoramic shots, nature shots, wildlife, etc. Yes, a bit of a tangent... But honest, the Cruise Control is ALSO A PART of making the journey more comfortable/easier/nicer, especially with all the injuries I've had to overcome/still battle with, ya know? THANKS AGAIN, ADAM!

Originally Posted by StewsRunner
I wish the 2nd gens had cruise control like that, i've got two faded buttons on the wheel that have something to do with it, takes me about 7 min to get it right :/
You mean, .... you wish it was just on the wiper lever, rather than on the wheel? Maybe you can get a pic of it and just paint it on there with a paint pen or something?

Originally Posted by vang_22re
I want cruise control in my truck

Congrats on the cruise working out.
Thanks.... And, I wonder how much of a pain it is to add. I keep hearing "Pick ups didn't have it".... Maybe cuz the 4Runner was meant to be more 'touring' like? Not sure they DIDN'T have it.. If they did offer it... I bet the plugs and the port for the throttle cable are ready for poppin out so you could add it? haha. Probably a PITA... Many seem to think it's silly... I don't really care, it helps ME, s'all that matters, right? I feel like... I lived in PHX for a couple years for College.... I had a Cressida with NO AIR! haha.. Why, if I COULD HAVE had air, would I say, "NOPE, no thanks, it's silly... that's convenience and comfort stuff for wussies!" ??? I call BS on that! haha.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:59 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Very nice Mark. My cruise actually worked when i had the A/T in, but the aging tranny made it difficult to use the cruise control. Now that i have the M/T in her i need to hook it up, and until a week ago i was missing one of the clutch switches the cruise uses to disengage since my donor truck didn't have cruise.
I'll be following your steps to freshen my control up, as i think the diaphragm could use some help.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by RBX
Very nice Mark. My cruise actually worked when i had the A/T in, but the aging tranny made it difficult to use the cruise control. Now that i have the M/T in her i need to hook it up, and until a week ago i was missing one of the clutch switches the cruise uses to disengage since my donor truck didn't have cruise.
I'll be following your steps to freshen my control up, as i think the diaphragm could use some help.
Sweet! Yeah, you do family outings that I'm sure can wind up being MANY miles, eh? Couldn't hurt, and WHY NOT if you 'CAN', right? haha.

You mean the engage button that's behind the clutch? Or the wiring therein? The brake light portion is the same, Auto or Manual, right?

Is the CC module in the kick panel the same model number as well?

I would assume the throttle linkage and placement is the same....

Sooooo, .......Just a button, right? KILL IT! hahaha.

PS> If you do open it up... I would SLOWLY remove them from each other.... Then immediately strap a large veggie rubber band on there, as mentioned. I don't think it takes much to cause it to begin to retract from where it's supposed to sit. And when re-installing it.... work VERY SLOWLY, maybe between a vice? Just to work around the edges(while depressing that spring) seemed a bit difficult, at least for me. Hope yours is not 'kinked' like mine was

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-14-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:40 PM

3rd gen trucks do come with cruise cause my uncle has it on his 90 22re but then again that's the only 3rd gen truck I ever seen with it. Maybe the previous owner had it install or who knows but it's pretty cool
Old 06-14-2012, 03:40 PM

Hey guys,

Slapped my new pretty pricey floor mats in(that I got at BigLots for 10$ for all 4~! WOOOOOOOOT! HAHA.

Then installed the 3 prong *Bell* 12V adapter/spliter. Installed my TomTom .... READY TO GO, just about, on my AZ trip to see my Pops. He's not doing so great, so it's a bit tough... but NO MATTER, I'm grateful for the opportunity, FINALLY, to get back out and see him/give him some support and a Happy Fathers Day! He has no clue I'm coming, hehehe... yeah, I love doing that to him! haha. Gonna call .... AT THE FRONT DOOR, standing behind him, sneaking up! haha.

anywhoooo, here's all the stuff I mentioned.......

Old 06-14-2012, 09:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the runners looking good Chef
Old 06-14-2012, 10:51 PM

Gave her a lil detail a bit... Cuz gotta make pop's proud! hahaha. He's a neat freak, hehe....

READY TO RIDE THE 125*F HWY!!!! haha
Old 06-15-2012, 07:30 AM

Make the trip worth it's wild! esp. With the 125* heat hehe remember to not roll down the window, I heard its not a good idea in that kind of heat
Old 06-15-2012, 11:02 AM

thats a clean rig ya got wish mine was in that good of shape...thanks for the input on the half door threads by the way helped give me some ideas on mine
Old 06-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Got your truck looking good for the trip. Enjoy your time with Pops. It flies by and is never long enough but least he will have a nice surprise. Enjoy the trip and have a safe one.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:51 PM

Knowing Mark, he sets the cruise control in 4x4 low range playing in the dirt...lol
Old 06-15-2012, 09:04 PM

have a safe trip bud
Old 06-18-2012, 12:56 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Ooooohhhh....I'm tell'n! you got a gps mounted to your windshield!
Old 06-18-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn bro i just seen you had a build thread and DAMN!!!! its freekin' long! gonna have to check it out little by little to see the your progress over time. BTW i might need your help with that cruise control thing. I thought mine wasnt working but i might still be doing it wrong. lol
Old 06-19-2012, 12:38 AM

Hey guys!

Thanks so much for all the kind words, man!

Had a great time seeing Pops, got our grub on, Jacuzzi, did some wheeling, swimming in the lake,........... watched Man on a Ledge, Horrible Bosses and The Grey..... JUST A GREAT TIME! I'm trying to load the pics... Photobucket wont open for me. I opened it, tried to create a new album... and I COULD TELL the site was freezing right then.... It was bizarre... Anyway, I'll try tomorrow. Gotta rest, long drive, 120*F on the way home, etc., etc., .... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! hahaha.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:52 AM

Damn bro. I knew the outside of your runner was clean as hell but jeez, the inside looks just as clean. Kick ass man. Gotta look through this thread more. BTW if you still need help with wiring your stereo system hit me up on my cell phone. I'll help you out.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:51 AM

Hey Richard,.... THANKS, MAN! Always feels great to have the work appreciated, ya know? Heck, it's been so long(it feels) that I often forget all the stuff I've done on this thing! hahaha.

BTW; ...... hope you have a GREAT weekend with the lady and then pop's, too!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 AM

Okayyyyyyyyyy..........

As most know, I love and miss my Pops, much! He's living in Lake Havasu, AZ, and I'm in L.A. ...... GRRR! haha. Anywhooo.... I drove out to spend Fathers day with him..... WOW, I'm so glad I did! Not that he's clinging to life..... It's just, well, you never know, kwiMean? He just turned 80 in May.... But he's in pretty good heart health, etc.... Just can't get him to DO ANYTHING, ..... and so I wanna get out there to see him when I can, as it motivates him to get up and get out! haha.

Got some pics, but the one of him and I got erased! SO TICKED! Also got some video, it's uploading a large one now, but I'll post a lil one. The lil video, here, is shot by my 12yr old nephew.... He's not really up on how to hold the camera for accurate angles, etc....but he did great! hahaa.... The other video, the sound is TERRIBLE... His camera is just not friendly in that manner. Plus, he's really shaky... it's only his 2nd time wheeling, so he was a lil distracted with his hands, etc.....lil shaky... But that's ok, he did his best, and he's a good kid! hahaha. Important part is we had fun, ya know? ......

Nephew Mikey, and one of me, cooling off(it was 110*F that day)....

Some more of my Ruby, lol....

Lil video....it was pretty steep.... Hard to tell in this, but whatever, like I said, he was just holding the cheap vivitar, haha. Not a creek or kerplunk in the suspension all day... The thing 3 wheeled a couple times, but I'm working on minimizing that stuff... And, WOW, it really did well on the road(Oh, yeah.... IF YOU'RE NOT LOCKED, .....GET ONE! haha.... Amazing the difference that makes! ) .........
Old 06-19-2012, 11:58 AM

Thanks dude. I bet jumping in that lake was really refreshing huh. You got some nice air there on one of your front tires lol Nice pix man.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread