86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aaaaa good question^^ haha sale it and fund the money into the 89" haha jk

I don't know the business with LA but just the sound of that seems like snacks for hungry sharks haha
Old 05-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I had a 3.0 and liked it. It was a 91 Runner. If it is running, wait til you have everything to do a swap with. I never really had to do any work on it and everyone that I have seen has always been a high mileage truck. Maybe all will work out for you.

With the 5 speed behind it, they are a little workhorse.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Grego92
hurry up with that electrical gizmo so I can copy you after you've done all the work! You going to sell the 87' if you get the 89' ?.... just ask'n
Ohhhhhhh, .... I was thinking you meant "electrical grelmin", not the Fuse block, lol.... Yeah, I will GLADLY help you do one if I can find time to get on mine. You could come by and we could slap it in! And, NO WAY, not at this point, would I be selling my Ruby-Red Girl! (Shhhhhhh, don't you know that these things can read???? She'll hear you and STEP UP THE MYSTERY GREMLIN DRAMA!) HAHAHAHA.

Originally Posted by vang_22re
Aaaaa good question^^ haha sale it and fund the money into the 89" haha jk

I don't know the business with LA but just the sound of that seems like snacks for hungry sharks haha
You too, SHHHHHHHHHHHH! lol.... NO, not planning on selling, actually... I NEVER count that out, as LIFE doesn't give you a choice at times... But for now, NAH, .... I've put a lot into it and HAVE to solve this miss and such before I'd EVER entertain that! hahahaha. I'm getting her just where I want her,....and I think it'll be my primary expedition/DD rig.... Just would like to build another one, whether to turn around and sell it or wind up getting sucked into that, "OH MANNNNN, now I CAN'T sell it,.... it's got my CD's in there!" hahahaha.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I had a 3.0 and liked it. It was a 91 Runner. If it is running, wait til you have everything to do a swap with. I never really had to do any work on it and everyone that I have seen has always been a high mileage truck. Maybe all will work out for you.

With the 5 speed behind it, they are a little workhorse.
Right on, Terry........

BUT, sadly, all that having been said, ..... HE SOLD IT TO HIS BROTHER! lol. I TOLD YOU... this is why I don't count them chickens til they're hatched, homies! lol. He was very nice and even wrote me and called me and was like, "Hey, Chef Mark, ..... I'm sorry, but my brother called me this morning after seeing it on CL and yelled at me for 20 minutes{He's my big brother, hahaha}.... I couldn't refuse him because he helped me work on it before I broke the grill and stuff, then parked it".... A Russian guy, which oddly made me think of Vitale', right away! lol..... SEE? Yotatech stays with you all day, in one way or another!

Lil bummed,.... I was excited to dig into it, do some "Terry_Repairy" to get her ready! lol. OH well, ... sadly, the story of my life, guys! "Too little, too late", lately! lol.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hehehe.... here they is............ (And they're "Outlaw 2's" >>>

I'm a sucker for Outlaw IIs What size tires?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:42 PM

To bad Mark, sounds like that vehicle was right up your alley. Another will come your way, keep with the first gen runner. You can Do It.........
Old 05-28-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
I'm a sucker for Outlaw IIs What size tires?
Hey Shawn, .... They're 32x11.50x15's Mud Kings(Made by BFG's,... they are what came BEFORE the KM1)on Oultaw 2's in mint condition. I got 4 rims and 5 of those tires, 90% tread, for around 340$ total! WOOT! lol.... I will roll them when I head up to the mountains.. But for round town, etc., I have 31x10.50x15 BFG AT's on SR5 Aluminum's.....

Originally Posted by RMP8080
To bad Mark, sounds like that vehicle was right up your alley. Another will come your way, keep with the first gen runner. You can Do It.........
Yeah, win some and lose some.... More of the latter, sadly, for me! lol. Yeah, it's ok.... I've been REALLY looking for 3 things....

1. 80's Cressida(don't care, depending on condition/price, which year between 82-89)
2. 82-88 Land Cruiser(Same conditions as #1, lol)
3. SC400 or LS400....>Most likely LS as I need 4 doors more often and the motor would eventually do just fine for a 1UZ swap, lol.

Thanks, Bill

PS> I AM working on the Fuse Block/Sound System.... Trying to get everything together(though I'd had it all but there's ALWAYS something, lol). I will do the Fuse block fairly quickly but still need wire to the AMP's(I have TONS of 4AWG and 10AWG and 14AWG.... of course, not the 20FT. or so of 8AWG that I need! lol.

I was talking to Ian today, and I had to find a platform for the fuse block to sit on, risen up above the fender. I found it, today, but where I get my wire, Signal Electronics, which also has the RCA Splitters I need, ....it's closed today. DON'T really need any more connectors or solder or anything like that.... Just one last thing... a separate, SINGLE fuse block before the Marine Fuse block just for the 4 Channel AMP(That amp has 2-20A fuses/40A total/ so I need to run one of those clear large fuse lines to add in to the power to the 4Channel amp. I was thinking of just not doing the sub and going with the 4channel alone... But NO WAY, I think it will sound VERY clean with; 2- 4" Blaupunkts in the Dash, 2- 4way 6x9 Pioneers and 1- 10" JL Audio Sub/With 1- 4Channel 800W amp and 1-2Channel 600W peak amp.

Another thing I need to make CERTAIN on is the Outputs on my deck....I KNOW it has 2 pairs of RCA outputs. I just can't see if it has a separate one for sub's.... It has a Subwoofer Category in the Menu(1-2-3)..... Would that be which one you want to power(if you have more than one?) or 3 diff. levels of power to the subwoofer? I'ma look it up in the manual of the deck to see.... Other than that, I think it'll be pretty much good to go, ya know?
Old 05-28-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Shawn, .... They're 32x11.50x15's Mud Kings(Made by BFG's,... they are what came BEFORE the KM1)on Oultaw 2's in mint condition. I got 4 rims and 5 of those tires, 90% tread, for around 340$ total! WOOT! lol.... I will roll them when I head up to the mountains.. But for round town, etc., I have 31x10.50x15 BFG AT's on SR5 Aluminum's.....
What?? That is a HECK of a deal and they look amazing on it! I have the Sport Kings, which are the A/T version. Cheap and not a bad tire
Old 05-28-2012, 06:44 PM

Yeah, Shawn... I SCORED! The guy with the rims was a good dude(sound guy).... We spoke for 20 minutes the day I called him(Just about Yota's, lol) and he said, "You know what? I wont even haggle with ya.... I want someone to have these that will appreciate em and put em on a SWEET rig!"(He was looking up my thread, etc., as we spoke, lol... He had NO CLUE Yotatech existed)... Anyway, Met up with him and spoke another hour, the rolled off with those for under 200$~! (the outlaw2's)... Before that, I'd met a guy who was 60yrs old... He'd built up this SICK 406 V8 Jeep CJ(like a 74 or so) for his son... Put those tires on it, then the son went out the first week, got in a DUI wreck and WOW, that dad was STILL steaming a year later when talking about it! lol... His son had no remorse so he made him watch as he pieced it out! hahaha. Sold em to me with Jeep rims for 200$... I sold the rims for 60-80$(?) to a Jeep guy, then a week later, found a 5th KM1 for 25$ or something like that... LIKE ONE MILE from me! lol. Yep, all in all around 350$? STEAL! That is a deal I'm stoked on..

The BFG's in the pic above? AT KO 31's? NOT such a good deal, hahaha. Bought em new for like 650$/installed... VERY good price, just not AS good as that CL deal. Then again, I got lifetime roadside hazard, etc., .... so s'all good!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-28-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

To bad about the other runner. One will come your way. Just hang in there.

Does the 32s cut into your power? What about rubbing issues? 31s dont seem to effect me any, but I hear you need to regear for 33s.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
To bad about the other runner. One will come your way. Just hang in there.

Does the 32s cut into your power? What about rubbing issues? 31s dont seem to effect me any, but I hear you need to regear for 33s.
Hey Terry, SUP??????

OK, welllllllll, I think that MANY opinions on this should be weighed by their 'ENVIRONMENT'... Where I live, travel, I HAVE NO CHOICE but to hit some of the worst hills/climbs in the country..... NOW, while I don't do it often, I DO IT, and it's TERRIBLY annoying to be stuck at 45 in the slow lane, winding out 3rd gear most of the way. My point in mentioning that is this; I see guys saying, "I have 35's and 4.10's, NO PROBLEM doing 80mph".... Very well may be, in fact, and it's easier to get top end speed with smaller gears.... ON A STRAIGHTAWAY or down hill... Unless those rigs have superchargers in them, there's NO WAY they're taking the mountain passes I do at 65-70 in 4th and 5th with the Air on! lol...

All that said, .... 4.10's did just fine on the passes with 31's(WITH MY 261 CAM... that made all the diff in the world!)... If I did the same with the 32's, they'd probably be 'ok', but now, with the 4.30's I have in there, I KNOW it helps. I mean, we're supposed to have 4.56's with 31's to equal the 'ACTUAL RIDE' of stock/equate to accurate RPM and Speedo and ODO, etc..... I wouldn't HATE 4.56's.... But I KNOW the way I drive(70-80mph in the 75mph zone, most of the way to AZ, etc.).... Those 4.56's would help me get up the Cahon pass EVEN BETTER, .....but the mileage would suffer, plain and simple! IT HAS TO, it's doing 3200rpm instead of 2900rpm, ya know? But honestly, how much would it suffer? 1 Gallon out of a tank? MAYBE, ..... so that's one I can TOTALLY understand with guys rolling 4.56's with 31's.

I also have to add into consideration the 261 CAM.... IT MOST DEFINITELY improved hill climbing after 1500rpm and up to 4500rpm.... and DEFINITELY allowed me a lil more top speed.... (I'm doing 90mph no problem).

As far as the 32's clearing... they DO clear, .....mostly! lol. They actually seem to ONLY touch the Mudflaps up front when I stuff/fully extend the steering linkage. Ya know? lol. I hear a 'GRRRRT-t-t-t-t' lol. I kept looking in the fenderwell but only could see rubbage on the flap. Trust me, I'M NOT OK WITH THAT, as those flaps are PERFECT condition and I paid 35$ for my right front one when my orig. fell off, ....on the highway, ......... hahaha. BUT, I'm not too sure what to do, ya know? The backspacing of these outlaw 2's/15x8's/ is very helpful I believe with keeping me from having to hammer the welds, etc.... But NOT so much at full turn while climbing ANYTHING, lol. Gotta work on that one. And I have a 2" lift up there, Terry.... so yeah, gotta think it out.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:22 AM

OK, .... I wanted to explain what I'm doing on a Paint Shop Project.... AND TRUST ME, I KNOW how bad it is! lol.... (I don't know how to make straight lines, maybe someone could share that with me? Thanks )>>>>

This, Jason, and a couple others, is why I'm doing an Aux. Fuse Block........

The amps will be under each seat... Driver and passenger. The quick disconnect 12V Aux Car wiring will be near the back seat OR inside the bumper/outside the rig... I haven't decided on that one, just yet. I would like to have power to jack into while outside the rig at night, .... keeping the skeeters out of my HOME FOR THE EVENING! lol.(I do mosquito netting on my sliding windows... I'll share that as well if someone wants to do it ) ... I hardly ever have people in the back seats... But I just can't decide if I want the plug to be near the tailgate or actually outside the truck(the second, quick disconnect will be for my 750W Power Inverter..... They don't come with a CAR Adapter Plug for a reason... Those things can melt down at higher temps. BUT, with the quick disconnect, I can quickly plug my weatherproof one into it if I just want to say charge my phone or laptop with the 400W PEAK-Tailgate inverter, ya know? Up front, I want a fixed 12V car plug type.... Will mostly be for my phone/tunes, etc. Even for the 400W to power-quick charge things or plug in the laptop and do some writing, whatever.

Like I said, please, tell me, IN LAME'N'S terms, lol..... "How do I do straight lines like you do, Ian, etc.???? ... I just did them with the 'pencil' feature. lol)
Old 05-29-2012, 12:50 PM

I love your 4runner!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Mark.. I actually forgot about the 4.56s. As a general rule of thumb as I understand it,
4.10s for 31 inch tires
4.88s for 33 inch tires
5.29s for 35 inch tires.

For the speeds and some of the hills you have to deal with going to Arizona and such, I couldnt see using 4.10s on a 33 inch tire. Just looks to be a real underpowered rig.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:35 PM

Ok, I think it's actually;

4.10's for Stock, 28.5"
4.56's for 31's
4.88's for 33's
5.29's for 35's

But I've been wrong, many times before! hahaha. There's a thread on that in this site, actually.... I think it's even a sticky.

What changed was this.....;

4.30's for AUTOMATIC Running 28.5's

4.88's for AUTOMATIC Running 31's

You could ask Toyo..... I believe he's got 4.88's on his 88 V6 Auto 4Runner. I believe it came stock with 4.30's.... Not sure when, I think it was 93-95, they started offering 31's from the Dealer with the proper gears. They also started making less and less 4WD's and more and more Automatics..... Finding a 5 spd. V6 4Runner or Xtra Cab 4WD has been a BEAR(within reason... There's a few that are OUT OF THEIR MIND with what they're asking... But then, hey.... IT'S THEIR TIME/RIG/MONEY, RIGHT? lol )

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-29-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyC
I love your 4runner!!!
Dude, Mikey... seriously, ...........I GREATLY appreciate that!

Mesa, eh? Spent many of hours over there while I was in College in AZ! GO SUN DEVILS! hahaha.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:44 PM

yea im running 4.88 and i love it. pre 92 auto should come with 4.30 but for some reason i guess mine had the auto added after the truck was made and it was only 4.10. must have been a super earlier model. only reason i say its 4.10 is based of the plate. i never counted the gears tho
Old 05-30-2012, 02:49 AM

Mine had 4.30s and a 225 tire from the factory with a 5 speed manual. I'm still running the 4.30 gears with the 32s. If I were ever to go up to a 33, there is no way I would keep the same gears because it's quite underpowered now.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:04 PM

BUMP! lol>>>>

Hey Guys..... Could ANYONE who has ANY edumacation on the 3VZE (94 range, maybe 94.8) give this guy some help on vacuum/testing procedures/maybe help him troubleshoot? He's really trying and just seems stuck at a certain point(which all of us can relate to, lol)....

Here's his thread(around the time of my last comment... I'ma have him do a solid update as to everything that's happened/what he's tried/where he's stuck);

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51924589
Old 06-01-2012, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I looked at his thread and that is something I am not any help on but though I would try. Sounds like you guys have most of the bases covered.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:23 PM

I'm running 4.88 and I got 37's....it pushes em just fine...a lil sluggish on hills though..lol

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread