86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Chickenman
i think 750 is low for efi? Can you rent a tach from Orielly's? I know they rent out some tools, that way you don't have to waste money at HF?

...Mine idles way too high (stupid carb, butterfly might be slightly open.... blah blah blah)...
Hey Chickenman,

Yeah, Factory Idle for the 22RE(at least up to 87-88) is 750rpm. 22RET is 800. The thing that is tripping me out a little bit is that the SnapOn Timing Gun with Tachometer AND Smog Machine Computer Tach were both reading 1056rpm, but the Tach in my gauge cluster in the 4Runner was simultaneously reading 750rpm.

Far as the Tach I was gonna borrow, ..... my buddy can't find it. We scoped his garage high and low, and I just don't wanna sweat him any more about it(He lent me the hoist, has helped me many times, Zuk mod and more).

The parts stores(at least around me) no longer rent electronic stuff like that. They don't rent fuel pressure kits, either. ....hahahaha.

I doubt it's my FPR.... nor Charcoal CAN causing issues.. but I'll just test em as a Process of Elimination. Then gotta set the idle right, too. All just 'poking around' stuff while I'm at it, lol.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be your gauge is wearing out Mark... my mech told me they can get twitchy and or over read as they begin to wear.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Could be your gauge is wearing out Mark... my mech told me they can get twitchy and or over read as they begin to wear.
UNDER-read as well, maybe?

Yeah, I hear ya.... I wonder if I can find a donor tach to slap in there, yeah? lol. Wanna keep the same ODOMETER, etc.

If it IS the gauge, then that would POSSIBLY rule out anything being wrong with the ignitor(which I doubt, anyhow)... The couple strange things that still baffle me are;

1. The idle moving up at times on it's own, just a couple hundred RPM, at stop lights(stays there, no matter how I flutter the pedal, etc. Then, next light, it's usually back to 750... ).

2. The fluctuating RPM on occasions(changes from 750 on the gauge to 800, then times down to 700/Which obviously ISN'T 700, 750 or 800, lol... But you get the point). I can FEEL/HEAR the idle is increasing... So it's not just the gauge, even if it is bad, ya know?

3. The fluctuation/drop of RPM during 'voltage load'.(Seems it did it more when I first did the rebuild... then around the time I was looking into the exhaust, as well. Nonetheless, it does it, dropping 100 rpm or more at times when I apply headlights and brake lights and turn signals, etc.). I'll see if it's still doing it as bad, now... Seems with the Original ECU in there a couple things aren't as bad. I have a HEALTHY new 4G ground to the block, 10G ground to the chassis from the back of block plate..... I would think I have some wiring issues within the harness/some compromise somewhere in there, yeah?

4. Obviously, 'THE MYSTERY MISS', lol. Smog guy said he didn't see fluctuations of RPM like he almost always see's with a worrisome misfire... But that does NOT mean that it's not simply getting too much fuel that it doesn't know what to do with/that's eating CAT's? lol. Not sure on that one. Looking into it though, soon(the possibility of fuel run on through CSI or otherwise)... Just can't have the rig down at all really... Need it all the time for 'last minute stuff' and 'out of nowhere errands'.

I adjusted the Idle air screw down and it seemed, at times, to creep back up to where the gauge says 750rpm. Could just be whatever is causing the #1 stuff. But as I said, it seems LOW at what I think is around 750-850RPM(like it's 'starving'(?) at idle... But drives just fine.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:04 PM

Thats crazy, I know my tach misreads a lot... especially when its cold. I have no idea why.
You might have already done this, im not sure. But maybe check out some tsb's with the idle? Good news is that your truck still drives!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chickenman
Thats crazy, I know my tach misreads a lot... especially when its cold. I have no idea why.
You might have already done this, im not sure. But maybe check out some tsb's with the idle? Good news is that your truck still drives!
OH HECK YEAH! It "drives" FANTASTIC! lol... Just idles funny, lol. On the highway, 90MPH no problem and NOT straining/rattling me out of my seat, lol.

I think, MAYBE, some of the stuff I'm trying(Stock exhaust with factory pipe to CAT, 2" to Muffler, 2.25" on out the back/ New 02 Sensor/ Timing backed off to 5*BTDC again) has improved the mileage(will have to see when I hit up a refill), and with this ECU(original) it seems a LITTLE smoother, ...but that miss is still the same erratic 'pup-pupup-puppupupup-pup' stuff as always, hahaha... Considering the block/rings/crank and all the valves are new/set right/new springs/guides/CAM is in good shape, TO ME, it seems unlikely that this SAME EXACT miss is mechanical(especially considering it's followed me into the 3rd motor since noticing it). So that's why I keep getting stuck on 'IGN/EFI/WIRING' is more likely the culprit, ya know?

The RPM thing, today.... same kinda odd stuff. Start it up and it idles up fine/run around a lil and then stop lights; Idles back up to 750rpm on the gauge(which apparently is 1000); next stop, most often, it's back down to 600rpm on the gauge(which is likely around 850RPM).

I'm really interested to see what I get outta this tank. I'll post up asap/when I refill. About 1/3rd down and I got 85 Miles on the ODOMeter. Last tank I was at 85 Miles with about a 1/3rd left in the tank, wound up with 153 Miles outta that tank! lol.

Hope you guys have/are having a great week!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 PM

PS> TSB's?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
If you do think about swapping out the guages. I just did mine awhile back but havent put it in just yet. Your old odometer will swap right in. It not to bad of a job at all. Even a non tach guage will swap over if I remember right.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
If you do think about swapping out the guages. I just did mine awhile back but havent put it in just yet. Your old odometer will swap right in. It not to bad of a job at all. Even a non tach guage will swap over if I remember right.
Right on! Well, I used to see them all the time at pick-your-part.... SO TICKED I never grabbed any more than one! Jason_TN has that one...and they seem to have consistently failing Temp Gauges and even oil pressure ones. I NEVER knew the Tachs had a tendency to be inaccurate. Not sure, as I mentioned, how many have no idea that when they set it to 750rpm.... it's actually 950-1000? hahaha. Maybe we could have a 'TEST YOUR TACH' day? hahaha.

Actually, I don't care if it's off a little as long as I can 'set it' with a plug-n-test Tachometer.

Don't happen to have one lying around, right? hahaha. Wish someone made a 'SWAP RIGHT IN' sweet custom gauge cluster, ya know? It'd be a LOT of work to design one that just slapped right in, I suppose.. but would be cool to have one like an W12 Audi Cluster or something, right? hahaha. (Course, I do love the stock look/and our SR5 clusters are pretty nice compared to other late 80's brands, ya know?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Right on! Well, I used to see them all the time at pick-your-part.... SO TICKED I never grabbed any more than one! Jason_TN has that one...and they seem to have consistently failing Temp Gauges and even oil pressure ones. I NEVER knew the Tachs had a tendency to be inaccurate. Not sure, as I mentioned, how many have no idea that when they set it to 750rpm.... it's actually 950-1000? hahaha. Maybe we could have a 'TEST YOUR TACH' day? hahaha.

Actually, I don't care if it's off a little as long as I can 'set it' with a plug-n-test Tachometer.

Don't happen to have one lying around, right? hahaha. Wish someone made a 'SWAP RIGHT IN' sweet custom gauge cluster, ya know? It'd be a LOT of work to design one that just slapped right in, I suppose.. but would be cool to have one like an W12 Audi Cluster or something, right? hahaha. (Course, I do love the stock look/and our SR5 clusters are pretty nice compared to other late 80's brands, ya know?
Seriously Chef, you need to cliff note this monster down to one page
Old 05-17-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by bobbybouche
Seriously Chef, you need to cliff note this monster down to one page
... hahaha... OK, here'goes;

1. "This is my 4Runner"
2. "This is my 4Runner almost 3 years later".
3. "This is the first, then second then 3rd motor it's seen in 2.5 years"
4. "This is a list of crap I did to it in between and after the motors "
5. "Bye"

Hahaha... Hey, I DID do a couple hyperlinks to some other stuff, right?
Old 05-18-2012, 08:35 AM

nope sure didnt
Old 05-18-2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by thspittingllama
nope sure didnt
What's that, LLAMA? Sorry, brain overload today, lol.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with all this engine talk, its making me think too much. i think you need a break and get back to putting that roof rack to use. i know the con-ferr is no longer around but i found out that http://www.diamondrax.com/ is pretty much the same thing and all the parts will work with your rack. just some FYI just in case you need replacement parts i guess
Old 05-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribing

Last edited by Buck87; 05-19-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:36 PM

Hehehe.... Yeah, I know, guys... Sorry, just has driven me nuts for so long, figured I'd at least TRY to locate the critter, ya know? lol.

I hear ya, Toyo.... (Thanks, Buck, lol)...

I am trying to focus on those other things, first... Fuse Block/Con-Ferr, but I have another lil problem......

*** Went out to retorque my exhaust studs/nuts since the orig. exhaust went back on... The Helicoil is holding up fantastically! The stud right below it? YEP, it appears it's beginning to strip out as well. GRRR! I double nut torqued it down as far as comfortable, twice(first time it didn't change anything).... cut my hands up all to hell(the original exhaust leaves WAY less room to work on that stuff than the header).... And got it down a LIL tighter the second time. I was hearing a lil ticking, so I went back through and found that one just turning, pretty much. I THINK I got it tight enough now... We'll see if it holds.

Anyhow, if I DO have to helicoil that one... WOW, it's really in a bad spot(bottom right stud). If I can manage it without pulling the head, ..... well, you can imagine, I might 'THROW THINGS' less! lol. Like I said, we'll see if it holds, but I doubt it, in the flow of 'how things go for Chef', lol.

I tell ya, this thing is REALLY making the 3RZ swap sound more and more delicious! lol.... I KNOW, it's a bear to get that done as well.. But HECK, at least it would be an upgrade with all the crap I've gone through with this thing! lol.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:46 PM

I know somebody that would buy your header.... hey it might help fund the 3RZ swap jk jk. Hope the stud holds man, I'm sure those issues will crop up with mine at some point.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:53 PM

If theres an exhuast leak, just do what i use to do turn up the music and problem solved hehe hope everything works out
Old 05-20-2012, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
I know somebody that would buy your header.... hey it might help fund the 3RZ swap jk jk. Hope the stud holds man, I'm sure those issues will crop up with mine at some point.
Hahaha... Hey Jason! Long time no talkage ...... Yeah, I hope so too. They were mostly all still holding pretty well, but THAT ONE stud, one that never gave me a problem... I guess it's just stripped beyond repair. I will just heli it, but it's SO TIGHT, ...so I'll have to get that shorty bit(13/32) in a tapered fashion... The one I bought, thinking it would help me fly through the last one, ..... wasn't tapered, AT ALL, so it wouldn't fit my 3/8 drill. My neighbor said, "Just have a machinist lathe it down a lil bit, voila!" OH BOY, getting phil to do that might be a chore... But THEN AGAIN, if I just brought him the rig... might get him out there to just do it. I think he's gonna say, "NOPE, just bring me the head and I'll do em all for ya!" hahaha... lol.
Far as the 3RZ swap... I know, it's just another can of worms... But it just feels like I CAN'T WIN with whatever motor I put in here! lol. One thing I wish I DID NOT do was 'rebuild my original head' this last rebuild... I should have just went for the engnbldr head w/out CAM(already have that)... I'm sure I could do the 3RZ swap, but I would need another beater to get around in while my rig was down, etc. Honestly? It feels dumb to do that now that I've fully rebuilt mine again and it's running so well(other than that mystery miss). But you know me, ..... I might just wake up one day and say, "THAT'S IT!" lol. For now, I'm good with what I got... Might as well 'miss-miss-miss..... can I have some fries to go with this shake?' on down the road until it explodes one day! lol. THEN I think it would make more sense to swap her.... She's a clean rig, it's worth holding onto a rust free/tight 4Runner, ya know?

Originally Posted by vang_22re
If theres an exhuast leak, just do what i use to do turn up the music and problem solved hehe hope everything works out
Hahahaha.... Sounds like Ted in my sig! lol. Yeah, that's the funny thing, Roger, ...I SWEAR I try to do that, but it's like I'm always sucked into listening to it! LOL.(not just a tick, if I have one... but ALSO, the miss! hahaha). Anyway, it's quiet for now with the 'torquing the stud in as much as possible' jobbie I did, lol. Actually it's VERY quiet compared to many I hear. But you can TELL when they're getting louder, ya know? Funny... with the header, it reveals so much more going on in the head, etc..... but it's louder... The manifold is much quieter, but you start hearing other things you weren't noticing! hehehe. S'all good, I'm not freaked out about it. One way or the other, it'll get fixed. Heck, I still have to EVENTUALLY get a trans in this biotch! lol. Anyone have an R151F laying around? hehehe.

OH, btw; My son in law might be giving me a full on welding arsenal! This guy moved out in one of his families apt's, and he's going to a resting home... NO ONE is dealing with his stuff and the guy is hinting at letting my son-in-law have it ALL! He said there's a couple HUGE tanks and all the gear for multiple types of welding.... He's gonna shoot me some pics and I'll post them up if I get it Need a lot of practice, but it'll come back to me, eventually. Would be nice to be able to do some cool stuff that I don't wanna pay through the nose for, ya know? lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-20-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:45 PM

I've got a spare tranny and tcase but I think shipping might be alittle steep lol. Welding stuffs is cooooooooool stuffs good luck with that buddy.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:25 AM

Hey Jason! Didn't even get a notice that you posted that! Grrr! lol.

Anyway, yeah, ....I'D LOVE to get that stuff, why not, right? I WILL use it if I get it.... Just need some teaching.

BTW, you have a W56 without issues? Can't it fit in the cargo box on the side of the rig? hehehehe. I WOULD LOVE to be done with that 'KKKKKKKKRGGGGGT' in 4th gear.... Although, it's funny how well I've got it down... Just a PITA that I'd like to fix, anyhow, ya know? As much as I want an R151F, ... gotta say, these W56's DO hold up for a LONG time! lol. Even when one floats it into 4th at the right RPM and speed... hahahahaa.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread