86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I'll tell ya...Hell of a site better lookin!!! You do good work my man!!! Very well done indeed.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:58 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
purdy......

gotta check out your video....have to relocate to my "good , rebuilt"(thanks LUMPY) computer.....

always LOOOOOVE before and after pics.....almost more gratifying than anything.

hey and CHEF......I don't really feel like I helped all that much, if ya say I did, I will take it.....but what a difference a year makes for me....1 year ago i never would have thought i could do it.....
Old 05-28-2010, 07:07 PM

OMG!!! Chef....that exhaust sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great work bud!!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
THAT THINg LOOKS AND SOUNDS KILLER!!
Excellent work, well done!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
WOW, ...I'm telling you, that means A LOT coming from you guys. I really pulled MUCH, Jerry, from MANY of you, and you were very personally helpful when I needed it, so I am thankful. I know, people don't live on here, hahaha, so I am, honestly, grateful to EVERYONE who had something helpful or even simply encouragement...It really made all the difference, especially since I really did end up doing this COMPLETELY alone, lol.

It's really strange....I have many friends, but when I went out to AZ for a few years....THEY ALL MOVED, hahaha. Up here, in Palos Verdes, I'm a GUEST, not a homeowner(Yeah, go figure, I don't have A COUPLE MILLION lying around! lol)....BUT, got some REALLY crucial help from a great neighbor, a contractor, who is really pretty knowledgeable of toyota's(he's had a few). He lent me the hoist, a hand a couple times when I just couldn't do it alone, and then I leaned on you guys and some local acquaintances for the rest!

This site TRULY WAS CRUCIAL, and I don't say that as simple flattery or with patronization behind it...I MEAN IT, it was CRUCIAL!

I look forward to getting some cool videos up in the Angeles Crest, once I get it TIP TOP(gotta figure out that sensor issue). CAN'T WAIT to get it dirty again, lol.

Thanks for the compliments, guys, ....I LOVE THE SOUND, and it DEFINITELY wants to GOOOOOOOOOO, once I get this tick figured out.......Don't wanna push it this early, ya know? ....Like I said, before......STUPID SENSORS! lol.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on getting it running man!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:17 AM

MOZE-MASTER, and the flying sidekick-4Runner! lol.....THANKS, MAN!

Ok, guys, ...My buddy at Toyota has my truck, and he's leaning toward AFM, ....and he's trying to get his buddy down there with his SWEET 86, to let him swap out the AFM from his with mine, just to check. IF IT IS the AFM, what do you guys think of this one?.....

http://www.statracing.com/oem-replac...Air+Mass+Meter

......or would you just go with a used one from the yard or someone on here, like JMB or ToyotaPartsGuy???? I'd REALLY APPRECIATE SOME ADVICE FROM YOU GUYS!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:31 AM

HELP? ^^^ AFM? ^^^ PLEASE? hahaha, thanks in advance
Old 05-29-2010, 11:05 AM

ummmm....i know 2 people that have done the SUPRA AFM swap for mo'-betta air IN...OLHARLEYMAN (but i haven't seen him in a while) and MALTESERUNNER.....if a replacement is in your future, then maybe that's a consideration.....let the guy tell you what you need to do next...if you say he's a good guy, then take his opinion.

can you find that in a junkyard?....probably not near where i live, but by you, probably easily.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:06 AM

I'm going to explain the issue it's having again, hopefully I can get some help from someone....Maybe I should just start a new thread?......But I figure you guys, after all the help you've given, can help me figure this out.

Ok, .....When starting, cold, IT PURRRRRRRRRS, completely perfect, on time, no misfire(lil exhaust pupping, not REALLY POPPPING, just 'pup-pupupup'), .....and within a minute, the idle drops to 500 or sometimes less, then wants to stall out.....If I stay on the gas, it 'pup-pupupup's' a lil, but runs, and then if I drive it around, right away, when it's doing this, it barely wants to go, but upon reaching 2,500rpm's(before the rebuild, now about 3k rpm's) IT TAKES OFF LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL, NO missing. Once I've driven around the block, once, it PURRS, again, without any real noticeable miss(TINY, but barely can feel it), and it no longer hesitates on acceleration.

WTH is it likely to be? The guy is saying AFM, and it very well could be, ....but I keep thinking TPS. I had a hell of a time checking that thing with a meter, but it AND THE AFM seemed to read a lil off in resistance. Could it be both? I don't mind replacing both, but GOOD LORD, I just want to figure this out so I can enjoy my ride, especially after all this hard(but very rewarding and enjoyable,lol) work!
Old 05-29-2010, 11:07 AM

JERRY, thanks for the prompt response. Ok, I have a yard, good guy, said, "100$, and it's off an 87 4runner, .....and if it doesn't work, just bring it back and I'll refund ya the money. Maybe you could bring the truck here and try it out, to save yourself a trip?"
Old 05-29-2010, 11:12 AM

wow, good deal...

wild stab......temperature sensor????....no flaming...sorry........that was the most nervous timewhen i got my truck started and i guess the sensor was sensing a big pocket of (air) nothingness and stated to lope the idle.

otherwise, NFC.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:24 AM

The coolant Temp Sensor? ....Hmmmmmmm, well, it's brand new, and yet, I understand the issue of air pockets, etc. I've been told, as long as you let it warm up, and you have an overflow, it will burp itself. NO? ....Also, this all began happening before the radiator-waterpump and so on replacements, ....even before the rebuild. Now, it's EXACTLY the same, ....Purrrrrrrrrr, CRAP AFTER MINUTE with surging to purr at 3k rpms, ....then normal after fully warm. AHHHHHHHHH, lol.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:26 AM

like i said, i'm probably talking out my butt on this because i don't know squat about electrical stuff, except when i plug stuff in it better work
Old 05-29-2010, 11:26 AM

To be honest, at this point, if I can rule out the Coolant Temp Sensor, etc.(you know, the lil ones), then I'm willing to just replace the TPS and AFM, ESPECIALLY after everything else being new. A guy I know told me, "Hey, that don't sound like AFM, ...those usually smoke black out the back cuz no air fuel mix-properly, .....sounds more like TPS to me....they get warm and start to freak out when they've had it....and they CAN clear up after fully warming up,....then back to CRAPOLE when they're sitting fora minute or warm-from-cold(first minute syndrome).
Old 05-29-2010, 11:27 AM

PS...i have 2-valve thermostat...so if i read this all correctly,my water flow is constant to some point, but more-so when the big valve is open.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:29 AM

Don't sweat that, Jerry...I'LL TAKE ANY HELP....believe it or not, you brought me to a conclusion on something you'd said, "probably nonsense, but here'go", lol....after some more experienced people missed what you'd suggested. NEVER discount any nugget, ...it's worth a check, right? P.O.E.!
Old 05-29-2010, 11:30 AM

Yeah, Thermostat on mine is OEM from the Dealer, like many other things. Yours might be different, cuz it's 92.....lotsa things were different by then, even though the motor was the same. However, mine might be 2 valve, as well, not sure, lol.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:32 AM

BTW, that link I posted, above, has reman. AFM for 228$ and OE TPS for 130$......so I was wondering what anyone thought about whether or not it would be better to just do that, .....get the reman'd and OE ones? ....If I need them, of course.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:34 AM

DANGGGGGGGGG, JERRY, ....why do I always have issues that need input on the weekend????? lol. HOPEFULLY, I'll be unavailable on the weekends, soon, as well, eh? hahhahaa

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread