86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Vang's idea of using HF has my vote...the good lord knows you've probably given them plenty of your business already, just think of it as doing them a favor by testing it out and making sure it works for the next guy.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahaha... NOW THAT'S A PICTURE! lol.

Yeah, that's exactly the one I was looking at. They sell a 'angle drill attachment tool'... But I'm not sure if the drill can be facing the other direction, etc. I'll check it out, tomorrow.... Too bad I have to, but MEH, ya know? lol. What'canya do, Grego? ... What CANNNNNya do? lol..
Old 05-08-2012, 12:18 AM

SOOOOOOO;

I started by taking a look at my exhaust mani(in case I wanna just go that route for a while).... and wound up with that donor/new that was cracked! lol.... Took another look at mine......

YEAH, I know, eh? ^^ hahaha...

EGR PASSAGES on the factory Manifold;

02 Location on Factory 85-87 Manifold;

And after returning that POCRAP China Manifold for my buddy on my way to PHIL(Japanese Auto Center Machinist).... His dude took it down for me to plum, sandblasted it and for a few bucks...

I'll be helicoilling the rear/top exhaust stud... But while it's off, IF I have time, I might just rip the EGR off and ream out that block plate with a bending brush bit and some cleaner.... then flush it out the exhaust port side... IF I have time. It had a new gasket when I got it back from Vellios... so I believe it was done(I can't know with Vellios, but if the gasket was new.. he must have removed it,.... so why not throw it in the hot tank, right? lol)

That's it for now... Wishing for you guys to have a great week
Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 AM

OK;

got a shorty 13/32 shorty bit, angled driver(for a day, hehehe)... and it should work swimmingly.... I'm just really nervous about doing this, as I've never done one at such a strange angle, and only have done a couple in aluminum PLEASE wish me good graces on this? hehehe.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still having issues? UGH...... Well here is to a fast fix!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
demigod speed
Old 05-08-2012, 06:35 PM

Hahahaha... Yeah, things aren't 'quick' for me as of late. It's crazy, that as I get quicker/more skilled at certain things in repairs.... I have less and less time to do it! haha.

Oh well........ I promise, I'm trying. I've been holding off on updating as to what all I've done lately/been trying to do... Just want to see what else can possibly go wrong/slow me down. hahaha...

Today, I had ONE HECK OF A TIME with that helicoil... The shorty bit I got was not tapered to fit a 3/8 drill(maybe they're all like that when short? TICKED! Then, I managed to do it with the angled drill.... But couldn't go too deep for fear of winding up in the head/hitting 'open space'. As you know, a tap isn't 'threading' for the first quarter inch or so.... So in the end, 2 helicoils later, I had to trim it right up to the head... GRRRRR! lol. Alas, ... IT WORKED! 31# and holding! (I know, but I'm not concerned about another 2# as much as I am that those extra 2# will strip out another thread in the head! lol.

Got some pics... I'll share them asap.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 PM

Ive kept quiet about this mark becouse Im so in the dark about it but it sounds to me like you might be on the rite track with the o2 location, glad to hear the helicoil repair seems to have worked. hoping for the best for ya buddy.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:49 PM

Mark, question CA Toyota are diffence than the rest of the US? Is your a CA vehicle?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 PM

THANKS, J-dawg!

Yeah, it might just have something to do with it... Not forgetting to mention the 'EGR Back-Pressure' factor.

Hey, didn't you order an 02 from sparkplugs.com or denso or something? If not, nevermind. If so, was it much smaller in the neck?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-08-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Mark, question CA Toyota are diffence than the rest of the US? Is your a CA vehicle?
Hey there, Bill.........

CA WERE different at some point... It was a Federal vs. State thing, starting around..... 83 I believe? By 88 they had dual 02 sensors(Most of them) and different standards maybe? I have the article somewhere... And a buddy was explaining to me 'why a CAT from an 83 wouldn't work', because it was Federal Standards, and not 3way Catalyst. If no notice, most EVERY CAT sales co., amongst many other parts, says, "49 state legal".... Guess which state isn't included? lol... CALIFORNIA! You guessed it, lol. Not sure about now, but it seems that CA is the only state you CAN NOT run anything but a 3way CAT(there are still regions in CA, believe it or not, where there is no Smog Testing... From what I'm told). Not enough of a reason to move away from my kids and family, lol... but WOW, it's tempting at times! hahaha. Actually, I'm looking forward to figuring out any bugs aside from the CAT that might be causing drama for me/may result in less longevity in the motor.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:59 PM

terry is the only one that I know to have ordered a sensor from sparkplugs.com sorry I cant help with that.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 PM

Yea, my son had did some work on a CA Toyota pickup I think 90 or 91 and had crazy time with until he found out it was from CA, any just trying to help.....keep it up and as always keep us posted.....Bill
Old 05-08-2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
terry is the only one that I know to have ordered a sensor from sparkplugs.com sorry I cant help with that.
Ahhh, ok,

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Yea, my son had did some work on a CA Toyota pickup I think 90 or 91 and had crazy time with until he found out it was from CA, any just trying to help.....keep it up and as always keep us posted.....Bill
Gotcha.... Yep, seems I'm not the only one having trouble with this lately, lol... But it sure feels like I'M ALONE ON AN ISLAND OF C.A.R.B. OFFICIALS AND REFEREE'S! .... Oh wait, that was a nightmare, never mind! hahaha.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:13 PM

Here's the difference from OEM-Toyota and "OE" Direct Fit Denso; For 87 4Runner, SR5, yadda yadda, as Grego mentioned on my Smog Thread.........

.......I think it's a reasonable question seeing the difference, right?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-08-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:22 PM

PS> Might roll like this for a while, just to be a guinea pig for a bit, if anything, ya know? >>> (PS> The 02 in the picture is the one that was back by the CAT all this time... Want to use the new one, just curious, as said, as to why it's so much smaller). >>>>

Wired in the 02 with solder-to-single wire/ then heat shrink/then shielded wire back in place heat shrunk and electrical taped.....

If you look at the picture of the 'ORIGINAL' 02 sensor(post above this, next to the 'Denso-OE' 25$ one).... NOTICE ANYTHING DIFFERENT FROM ALLLLL of them now adays? ...... YEP, ...the original had shielded wire all the way to the sensor, VERY high heat capable. Not sure why Toyota did away with that... but I CAN'T believe that it's better without it(unless someone tells me why?). Even the newer one from the dealer that I had on the LCE Header CAT back pipe.... NO shielded wire.

BTW, from what I know, shielded wire is very helpful when putting sensitive electronics next to other HIGH OUTPUT and signal heavy components, like IGN stuff's. I mean, the 02 wiring is RIGHT next to the coil/ignitor, right? Just shootin the breeze.. Not making a federal case of it, promise. More curious than anything.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-08-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
The California standards do evetually make it our way. That is the purpose of shielding to prevent electrical interference. Being a single wire, I cant see it being to complicated that the interference would be a problem.

Just curious,are they measuring you using the 87 standards? I could see where the 88 might have a higher standard then 87. Having the 4 wire is for preheat and more complicated standards on an 88 then an 87. Just wondering if that could cause you to fail. Probably not but with the difference in O2 sensors and location has to have some effect.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Here's the difference from OEM-Toyota and "OE" Direct Fit Denso; For 87 4Runner, SR5, yadda yadda, as Grego mentioned on my Smog Thread.........

.......I think it's a reasonable question seeing the difference, right?
Mark, FYI the one on the right looks like the one in my 89 runner, if that matters...
Old 05-09-2012, 09:40 AM

Thanks Terry, Bill, ......

Terry, appreciate the PM's. Will get back to ya on that in a few. Thanks, as well, for answering regarding the 02 sensor.

Bill, yeah, my 'replacement OEM from dealer' was exactly like that one on the right in the pic. Much larger. I'm not sure why they make em so much bigger for Toyota.... Still curious on that, but Terry said he ordered a couple 02 sensors from the Denso aftermarket sites, and he remembers now that it WAS, in fact, smaller. He was concerned it might be a problem, but I'm guessing needed to at least try it to get rid of a code..... Well, it worked fine, and the code never came back, and it never gave an issue. That's good enough for me.

I want to first get the exhaust sussed up(exactly like TED of engnbldr suggests) and then re-test my 02, checking to see if it's more active up there/on the manifold. If not, then I'll check the new one to see if IT is more active... In which case, I"ll have to assume, that however unlikely, the HG failure and running lean for so long might have caused some damage to it. From there, I MIGHT re-test to see if the results are more friendly. If not, then I'll have no choice but to either put off the 'stickers' and just register it at the AAA office up the street or take it in to a smog repair shop(got a GOOD referral to one by Phil, my machinist ). I would have just taken it down to the smog repair place FIRST... But guys, the owner in the repair shop I went to TOLD me, "Yeah, you might as well test the 02, etc., and force air on the EGR ports... Do any porting of the header that you mentioned, etc. Because, .... going so far from stock on the most basic-OBD1 rigs like that... it's all stuff that would cause you a bigger bill for my having to check things in an "out of orthodox norm-methods" way..... And first, you should move that 02 up the header... that's just NOT going to ever read right, so then I'm tinkering to get it 'right'... which isn't going to solve whatever is causing this, seeing that it's EFI and will keep adjusting back. Also, don't think a heated 02 is the answer for ya.. That's only going to 'quicken' it's active status... it wont change how/where it's reading exhaust.... So why have me on it until you get things where you think they'll be most optimal?"

That's it for now. Thanks for chiming in/staying tuned. I hope it's helpful to someone someday. (I will EVENTUALLY be making a really short summary with links for each of the issues I've encountered, including the CAM swap without removing head/timing cover leaks/oil pan/valve adjustment/tricks on getting cam drive gear on/EGR, ECU, EFI and IGN testing, etc.) For now, honestly? I'm just trying to survive day to day! hahaha.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:02 PM

Mark, by the way, on the S10 rack, RBX also has a RED 4runner, me bad I remembered RED and thought of yours.....lol..thanks

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread