86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Failed again?? Urghhh!!, you get the tough problems. Really no suggestions. It is probably going to be some oddball problem like the O2 sensor not just in the perfect spot or a bad sensor that isnt throwing codes liked mentioned.

You are going to be the NOX guru when this is done.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Just pasting some stuff from the smog thread, here;

Things I KNOW have been changed, thereafter the time I passed the last smog test/2010;

1. AFM(donor)
2. 02 Sensor(NEW-OEM)
3. TPS(NEW-OEM/Adjusted 3 times to 4Crawler/oem specs)
4. Thermostatic Temp Time Switch(NEW-OEM/on the Thermostat pipe)
5. IACV(NEW-OEM)
6. All Vacuum Hoses
7. Thermostat(NEW-OEM)
8. Fuel Pump and Filter(NEW, Bosch and FRAM...I KNOW, I KNOW... only 6K miles on it, was before I KNEW THE BIBLICAL-YOTA TRUTH! lol)

Off hand that's all I can remember in the dept. of "THINGS THAT SCREW WITH AIR FUEL RATIO", which have either been replaced since passing or not.....

1. TESTED CTS;

..... The original CTS ......

..... Tested it and it's dead on to specs on the sliding scale from 70*F cold and steadily, uninterruptedly slid on the scale from 1.9K Ohms Resistance to 140*F where it hit .6K on the dot.

Coolant Temp Sensor is Working

2. ETHER-Vacuum Leak Test;

..... Could not get a single bump out of the ETHER until I ran a TINYYYYYYY mist next to the AFM intake Pipe in the Grill..... Idled up and then back down as it should.....

No Vacuum leaks detected that I would think could cause such a NOX or otherwise failure in Smog Testing/Otherwise testing.

PS> Boy, it's really acting strange at times, ... seemingly idling up and down very lil and hard to notice... but there. Also some strange voltage issues that seemingly have returned. It'll seem to run a lil chunky, rarely, as I sit at a stop with the lights/brake lights going, ... then I turn them off and the idle seems to come back up and smooth out.... ahhh lol.

O2 TESTING;

...... 02 seems to be fluctuating plenty within 10 seconds... (I didn't make sure it was 8 times, no).....

..... "With the positive probe in Ox and negative probe in E1, fully warmed engine, race the engine at 2500rpm for 90 seconds, then watch the fluctuations. Should be 8 times within 10 seconds... If not there's a problem. Should be within 1-5V"..............

Mine was bouncing between 3.whatever and 6.whatever(I used a digital, couldn't get my dial one to work)... But I could see the numbers sit at around 3.2-3.4 for a half second or so, then up to 5.5-6.5 or so......... The FSM says, "1-5V".... But it's fluctuating, so I might just not have had it at 2500rpm(couldn't that factor in?). Even at whatever I had it at..... let's say 3000-3200rpm..... it WAS reading low voltage like that and fluctuating as well.

Whatcha all think?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I seen on Jasons thread you were talking about checking out the wiring harness. I looked on your build thread and didnt see where at on the harness you want to check.

If you are talking about the injector connectors, they are a poor design and it would be good preventive maintaince to remove the little clip and solder the wires together. #1 and #3 share the same wiring and the same with #2 and #4 as they share the same wiring. From what I have seen is it is a problem with trucks in a damp/humid enviroment or one that gets into a lot of water. You living in a drier enviroment and the way you drive yours I cant really see it being a problem for you, but it would be good preventive maintainace.

If you were talking about the injector connectors, they will pass resistance checks, but I am guessing when the voltage goes across the poor connections,that is where it will fail. From what I have read on those connections, the truck wont start when they are bad. Havent seen anything causing a smog issue but still couldnt hurt look into it.

When I was having starting issues on my 86, I wasnt able to find any good checks for the igniter. All test were just for the coil. I later talked to a local guy and he said Mitchel.com had some good checks and how to test the igniter. I havent looked at it yet to say it is a good site or not. Been meaning to look at that site.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I seen on Jasons thread you were talking about checking out the wiring harness. I looked on your build thread and didnt see where at on the harness you want to check.

If you are talking about the injector connectors, they are a poor design and it would be good preventive maintaince to remove the little clip and solder the wires together. #1 and #3 share the same wiring and the same with #2 and #4 as they share the same wiring. From what I have seen is it is a problem with trucks in a damp/humid enviroment or one that gets into a lot of water. You living in a drier enviroment and the way you drive yours I cant really see it being a problem for you, but it would be good preventive maintainace.

If you were talking about the injector connectors, they will pass resistance checks, but I am guessing when the voltage goes across the poor connections,that is where it will fail. From what I have read on those connections, the truck wont start when they are bad. Havent seen anything causing a smog issue but still couldnt hurt look into it.

When I was having starting issues on my 86, I wasnt able to find any good checks for the igniter. All test were just for the coil. I later talked to a local guy and he said Mitchel.com had some good checks and how to test the igniter. I havent looked at it yet to say it is a good site or not. Been meaning to look at that site.
Thanks, buddy!

Well, I've been wanting to do that, and finally read in the FSM where I hadn't before(troubleshooting for hard starts or something like that).... IIRC, it says to use a high tension 8G or more 12" wire and run to 'something, lol' and check for fire... AFTER, of course, disconnecting the fuel pump/injector resistor and AFM??? Probably cuz it disables the fuel pump in case the knob at the dealership forgets? hahaha.

I don't think it's an injector-lack of participation as I can hit 90MPH on the frwy, no problem... no start problems...no REAL DRAMATIC hesitation(just occasional, which I think MIGHT be a problem on the 15 and 25mph tests, actually, since it seemed to really be shaking on those tests/under load... Weird, cuz I can't feel anything while driving, but noticed LOTS of drama while he was doing those tests... More so at 15mph test in second gear... Sorry, I'll clear that up so you can understand it when I have more time! lol)

I was thinking that maybe those tests are effected heavily by either the TPS or AFM, wherein they're sending wonky signals. And, I can't say that just because I read voltage at the diagnostic for 02 sensor that it's 'adequate'.... Or that its not suffering from 'too much voltage' or something? At this point... I can't do much more with my current situation.

On a side note.... I'm not doing so well. The Step-dad is worse than ever, physically, and it's become far less than sustainable at this point(it's deeply effecting my physical and mental health). I've applied for assistance so I can keep working, etc....but they're slow to respond(not with anything else, but of course, on this one, they're 'approval' is taking FOREVER!)..and my mom CAN NOT manage his needs, at all, without either killing/injuring/ herself. She's getting more overwhelmed each day(I've handled INSANE situations with my career, for years, and I can't imagine being 80, in 'less than average' health and trying to manage what she has, thus far). Just wanted to letcha all know, because one, so many of you keep me/us in your prayers.... And two, because I'd hoped it would explain a little as to why I'm so 'off' lately and 'too overwhelmed" to manage even a small amount of diagnosis on my rig. Obviously, the rig takes a STRONG LAST PLACE/back seat in the realm of priorities... It will come, eventually..... BUT SADLY, I have to be honest, ...I NEED IT, EVERY DAY! ya know?

Thanks for checking in, guys.. And I'm sorry for not being able to articulate as well as usual..... I hope to have something interesting to watch/keep up with/glean from again on this thread... it's just GOT TO BE 'spotty', AT BEST, at this point, ok?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 PM

Since I'm stuck inside, wherever I am, 99% of the time right now.. I brought in my spare AFM(original actually) and both multi-meters(dial and digital)....

It tests within specs on EVERYTHING............. EXCEPT on the 'E2-VS while swinging the air flap door slowly' test.... It seemed to bounce all over... NO steady increase or decrease in resistance. It says, "Should move in a wave motion"... WTH IS A WAVE MOTION? Waves go up and come down... I know not this "TECH LINGO"... help? lol. What I do remember is 4crawler and others writing on "Should not have drop off spots or bounce all over"..... I'm assuming that means mine WAS, as I thought, 'iffy'.

I have yet to pull my current(donor) AFM off the rig or test it in place..... But I will letcha know.

I know that there are COUNTLESS guys who explain that the Ambient Temp Sensor Cone in there say they had problems with that being accurate. I KNOW this could cause issues.. But I'm not sure how to do it.. Maybe put it near a heater with a thermometer near by and check resistance as I go?

I mention this because, well, I'M BORED, along with being overwhelmed, lol(I know, doesn't make much sense, right? lol)..... And figured, 'why not check it out'.... And because I've seen these AFM's cause SO MANY gremlins that guys could never seem to find..... Then finally found in the AFM after verifying the entire system is good, otherwise. What are the odd's that I would give up an orig. meter for another one that's 'IFFY'??? Not sure, but IT'S ME, SO THE ODDS ARE PROBABLY PRETTY HIGH that I did! lol
Old 04-30-2012, 02:56 PM

PS> Looks as though "Supreme Muffler", who did the work for me before changing ownership? The CAT they installed(according to the part Number) is a "CATCO Universal/ 2.25" in 2.25" out CALIFORNIA Legal Catalytic Converter"..... Now, I'm not sure, but I've heard lots say "CATCO CAT'S SUCK!" lol... That DOES NOT mean it's not doing it's job... But what I AM wondering on is "Does the fact that it's 2.25" to the back, including CAT, limit, dramatically, the ability of the CAT to 'do it's job' of holding gasses there and limiting them on the 'out'???"

Just doesn't make sense to me, guys.... I mean, it passed with a tired arse old dying motor, all original exhaust with leaks in the exhaust mani and pipe and CAT and back pipe... ALL older sensors(IIRC< even the 02 was orig at the time).... 254K mile orig. CAT....... WTH??????? STILL seems like something is NOT RIGHT. I was even wondering if the Magnecor Wires (8.5MM from LCE) could be causing some issues... But I keep remembering that it's got PLENTY of power, no popping or backfire, no hesitation really... 90mph on the frwy..... Doesn't sound like bad wires to me. SOMETHING at lower RPM/Load is NOT HAPPY..... Still seems more likely to be the AFM/TPS/02 or the relationship of the 02 to the ECU due to being too far back/not reading as intended/hot enough, etc...... Even the wiring harness... Wouldn't the pairs of injector wires having a split or something be more evident at 90mph, bouncing on the freeway????? Gotta be more vibration and such at those speeds/bumpiness, no?????

GOTTA re-test the TPS/current AFM.... But I'm really starting to suspect my original ECU again. Seemed to check out ok though, last summer...

Have to share one thing though... Honestly? It's still missing a lil at idle and when I hold it at any RPM up a lil higher. Can't really notice it at 3500rpm or up, but that's normal from everything I've learned(no time for a miss to register, and all the fuel is being used up or sucked right out the back).

Gonna smell my oil, too... sounds like fun. hahaha. No, but maybe it's smelling like GAS... would be telling of "RICH" nature, right? Rich, meaning it's 'reading rich' at times(like 15 and 25mph tests), so the ECU is signaling to 'lean it out'....

ANYONE have any thoughts on this? I really don't want to spend several hundred bucks letting someone else finding the problem IF I can help it.... I WILL take it in if warranted, no doubt. Just would rather do what I've always done.. PERSEVERE! lol. MAN, not having TIME really screws with 'PLANS', ya know? lol
Old 04-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Still seems more likely to be the AFM/TPS/02 or the relationship of the 02 to the ECU due to being too far back/not reading as intended/hot enough, etc......
I've been wondering about the effect of the O2 and the CAT position too. How you tried contacting LCE for any input?

Is this O2 sensor heated? I'm thinking if its not heated and too far back it may not be getting to the correct temp and sending out strange info to the ECU. I suppose if the CAT is too far back the catalyst may not get to the proper temp for the reaction to occur....I have no idea what that temp might be. Just my 0.02 yet again.

Last edited by rworegon; 04-30-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:44 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Here's to hoping you get this one liked before you loose what's left of your mind.(raises glass).
Cuz I got no suggestions.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chef, interesting bit in the Lazy O2 section:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...enance/4219927

It might interesting to hit the exhaust around the O2 sensor with a infrared thermometer and see what the temp is.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 PM

Hey RB...don't sweat it, I know... I don't have anything either! lol.

Hey RW, sup?

Yeah, it's very interesting. Ya know, I just keep feeling like SOMETHING has just followed me all this time into the present tense(whatever gremlin it is!)... I still have an odd miss(although it SEEMS much less dramatic and annoying than before I rebuilt)..... I still have terrible mileage... And I HAD a strange miss when I hadn't rebuilt ANYTHING, 10K ago! BUT, ... I know, it COULD BE just coincidence... Just seems like with the mileage issue, etc., ...it might NOT BE! lol.

Just doesn't seem like if I had an under performing IGN(Coil/Ignitor/Ignition/Dizzy)..... it wouldn't be hitting 90+mph, purring really well, etc., ya know? But LATELY, since I put that modulator in, to be honest..... SOMETHING IS WRONG when I just go into open loop(JUST LIKE WHEN I HAD ALL THAT DRAMA THAT ENDED UP BEING TOP END!).... Heck, what if 'WHATEVER' it is, wiring, etc., has CAUSED damage to the top end and CAM, etc., as I was struggling and before the build even????

Not sure on the 02 thing... Might be a good idea.. was a good read, THANKS! All I know is I'm losing patience and I just wanna be done with it.. ya know?

I tested the AFM that's in there, today... Seemed to be a LIL spotty at the 'pushing in the vane/flap' portion of the test, while on E2-VS, but better than the one I replaced, ya know? Initially when opening the flap, it was gradually increasing...then jumped around a LIL bit as I hit half way, then onward. Seemed to top out at 1000-1100 or so.... But hit 1500ohm a couple times, ya know?????? It says "Should go between 200-1200 while opening it, to fully open"..... Doesn't say "If it EVER hit's something higher... IT'S JUNK!" lol.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH! Lol
Old 05-01-2012, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

On your odd miss, try checking to see if your injector connectors are seated really good. I ran into that on my flatbed. May need to get a pair of needle nose pliers or something and give a slight tug and push on the injector connector.

It was a tough problem for me to find at the time as it wouldnt always do it. If it was at idle or no load on the motor cut out. Once I reved it up, my guess is the electric was powerful enough to jump the gap. Sometimes it would idle great as I think the connector settled a little closer to the injector.

If it is a connector, I am betting it will be #1 as it is most exposed, all others are fairly well protected.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM

I will try the FSM recommend, like you've mentioned, "Tug and wiggle on the wire and see if there's intermittent improvement".... You're right, it could very well be that, and that throws no codes... it just overcompensates. Thing is, ... it seems like the rig is 'leaning out' no matter how I adjust it.... Wouldn't that mean it's rich and forcing a lean?

One thing I did last night, when checking my current AFM..... I turned the air inlet pipe and it moved on that second to last coupling before the AFM...it was loose, to be honest. Not so loose that I could turn the clamp...but loose enough that I could easily turn it back and forth with the Throttle Body side disconnected, ya know? I could slop it up and down a lil bit/side to side/then round and round. I tightened that up but haven't started it since, was 1AM, lol.

I mention that hose clamp because I know that any air after the meter acts like a vacuum leak.... I'm just not sure, at all, if it was even pulling air in there, ya know? Sometimes I wish I'd check things, like with Ether, before buttoning them up. lol.

I think it's a combination of things, but something is causing a rich condition, thus leaning out by ECU... Or the thing is just missing on an injector at times, like you said, causing a 'lean misfire'??? Odd thing though, Terry... Wouldn't the ECU/02 read that lean misfire to some degree and force a 'more rich' mixture? Bottom line, I WANT TO GET TO 14.7:1 AIR/FUEL MIXTURE!

I'm probably going to take it in, and here's why;

We're having so many problems with my stepfather(most I wont mention... it's just not fair to him, nor something most people would want to have an impression in there head thereof, lol).... that I've applied for assistance. It's been a while, but I'm being worn down to the point of OVERLY exhausting mental stress and physical pain/aching, ya know? Lack of sleep and time to ones self will KILL YA, TRUST ME, I KNOW! lol. However, between working and this, I have NO TIME to get down there to the smog repair station... I can't even find a ride to follow me and/or bring me back home(Which I need, because as he said, "WOW, sounds like you've put a few hundy hours into this thing... sounds nice... Bring it down, but I need it for the day, I'm really busy with rigs/older stuff like yours right now, lotssssssss of people are failing! .... Kinda tripping me out, to be honest.") I just feel like I've exhausted so many aspects of this and even if I'd add a restriction plate AND oem CAT AND new EVERYTHING LEFT THAT'S NOT YET NEW..... I could still have an issue that I can't KNOW wont be there after throwing even more time and money at it..... Bottom line, I don't have an oscilloscope! They can tap in before and after CAT, that quick tell you, "Yeah, the CAT's toast".... or run the Scope and start tinkering til they find the culprit... They start with the most likely/easiest to test suspects, first, ... so hopefully they'll find it in the first hour.... But at this point, I've worked HARD on this thing for MANY HUNDREDS OF HOURS... and, well, with everything going on in my life right now?... I'M DONE! lol.

HOWEVER, if anyoneeeee can think of a few more things I can check to see if I can't get it to run better(stop tripping out like I USED TO in my GREMLIN NIGHTMARE DAYS 'after just going into open loop'..)... I'LL TRY IT! I mean, hey, I can't take it in until I have a ride, ya know? lol.. So gimme a shout out and lend a Yotabrudda a thought... EVEN THE MOST NON-SEEMINGLY HELPFUL THING, ... why not, I'll tell you whether I've covered that or not.

My symptoms;

1. Like months ago, it's missing a bit more again. Seems chunky(all seems to have gotten worse after replacing modulator....... :/ )
2. It's got a lil bounce on RPM... not repetitious... somewhat erratic.
3. It's failing NOX on smog, badly.
4. Failing nox, it's obviously got a 'lean/higher combustion temp' condition? Not sure if due to ECU adjusting lean or just existing lean condition NOT DEALT WITH by the ECU...)
5. Runs like a raped ape, even 90+mph! Get's there pretty quick for a 22RE, too
6. BUT, at idle and at any RPM hold, from 1500-2800 or so, it's miss is VERY apparent/erratic.........."Pup..................pup-pup.......pup...........puppuppup".
7. NOOOOOOO popping or backfire, even on steep downward hills in 3rd doing 50+mph
8. NOOOOOOO problem starting or idling up when cold(IACV and COR and etc. are all working well)
9. On RARE occasions... it'll idle up to 900-1000rpm at a stop light... No matter the feathering, it wont come down. I can activate fuel cut then, but it climbs right up after. After 10 feet even of driving, then stopping again... it's gone. WTH????? lol.
10. Since the new modulator, and even a couple times before, more rarely, but there, ...it seems like it's bogging a TINY bit. NOTHING like before I replaced the TPS and IACV and all that... But it just feels a lil off for the first couple seconds of 1st and 2nd gear only... By 3rd it seems to just have NOTHING limiting it(This pause is NOT what I would describe as 'hesitation', not like the FSM is saying or many experience.. it's not lurching, nothing at all that way. Just hesiTANT to get there for a couple seconds... and MOSTLY WHEN JUST PART THROTTLE! When I stomp on it,....IT'S OUTTA THERE! When partial throttle, at times, taking off... I can feel that lil "pup...........pupupup" miss along with a lil hesitation to get up and go for the first 2500rpm or so...... WTH? lol.

That's all for now........ I'll add more gremlins to the list as they join the family lol.

STUPID OBD1, STUPID C.A.R.B.!!!! lol. JK, ... Even without CARB.... I want it running at the right Air/Fuel mixture/to have NO issues. I mean c'monnnnnnn, .... I spent all that time, TWICE, rebuilding it....... I just want to enjoy it, is that so wronggggg? hehehe.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:26 PM

If I have the Multi-Meter(digital) set at 10V.... It should read 1.00-5.00 volts, ON DISPLAY, right? The reason I am really thinking I have a lazy 02 at this point is because; On the '2V' setting of the Multi-meter... It's reading the same! >>> " 0.220-0.680 "(it doesn't display a zero in the beginning... just making it more straight forward for ya'all.. And cuz I'm a dummy some times, lol)...... If that means is between "2.2/10th's and 6.8/10's" of a SINGLE volt.... I have problems, ................RIGHT?(it would also explain why I can't see the "dial indicating Volt Meter" bouncing when I do this test..RIGHTTTT? LOL. I think I will get out there and swap in the original 02. There is always a freak chance that my HG blowing right when I started it after my last build caused some damage. BUT, I think, if anything, the thing is just too far back.

Grego.... VERY important question... which I think I know is a 'YES' already....

""DO YOU HAVE A HEATED 02 SENSOR?".... If so, that would EXPLAIN LOTS!

I'ma go ask Ian if his is heated... Same year as yours, in case I don't hear from ya soon.

Sorry guys, no news just yet... Just what I've checked into. I was going to take it in to get 'scoped' today, but the insurance sent a nurse, the nurse that "evaluates him and sees if he's even worthy/needing of in home or nursing home care"...... She was so concerned(for my mother and myself, as well, pertaining to our health)... that she called the lady, which she doesn't do, and said, "Please, I'ma send you this eval... Taking a pic, sending it PDF to ya, can you please expedite this?".... So HOPEFULLY, we'll get the 'Case Worker' over hear QUICKLY! Problem is, in part, .... the case worker is a Social Worker.... Working through the insurance company(kinda like USDA inspectors linger in meat factories, ya feel me? )... Problem would be that EVERYONE, regardless of how well they care for someone, fears what 'the opinion' of 'THOSE PEOPLE' might be, ya know? I'm probably just too stressed to be rational right now(too exhausted too... 8 hours sleep in 3 days, solid GO-GO-GO in between), ....so I'll just have to see. But, in the end, I don't have a choice, ya know? I mean, I can't do this any longer at this pace... It's REALLY, deeply, effecting my health... And, even worse, ...my mom's health.

Thanks for your thoughts(and prayers in some cases)... I/WE appreciate them greatly.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:39 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Chef the heated o2 may only be on Cali trucks on earlier years then the rest of the seemingly more free country. I love California, and nowhere in the US is there a larger collection of car enthusiasts, but the laws you all are subjected to is simply criminal(climbs down off soap box).
What I mean is my 92 does not have the heated o2 , Ian's is a 94 I think and may be present on his. Sorry I can't be more of a help.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:33 PM

Thanks, RB!

OK< spoke to Grego.... his 92 IS, INDEED, a 4wire-heated sensor..... pasting this from my smog thread.........

"Here is what I suspected about my 86, having the Downey header......

I KNOW that there is a good reason for keeping the 02 AS CLOSE TO the head as possible. And I've written LCE to ask some pointed questions as to 'how many calls do you get, please tell me?" etc., etc., lol. I think, personally, it's a STUPID design... But obviously, with a heated Sensor... it probably doesn't cause them many problems... And NOT EVERYONE who orders one from them is in CA, either! lol... so it might not be as common of a question as I think it might be.

I could VERY WELL have other issues contributing, ... but I'm REALLY suspicious of those 02 measurements. Granted, I'm using a Digital meter, and not a "Fluke" either.... But as I remember, it was NEVER going above "0.680" or so.... if that means 6/10ths of a volt, then I DO, indeed have an issue. It might be that the reason it seems to run like a bat out of hell upon warm up and a lil smoother is because IT'S NEVER staying in open loop, ya know? YES, much of that is 'coolant temp' sensitive... I know. BUT, if the 02 says "RICH" OR "IT'S SURE NOT VERY HOT BACK HERE, but plenty of stink".... WELL, wouldn't it lean it out dramatically? I mean, it's NOT a 'computer', neither is the ECU... not really. It's a bunch of preset stored levels and measurements that react to 'out of range' and then accompanies those 'out of range' readings with an action... Even the fuel cut is rudimentary, ya know? Your rig, Grego, is FAR more advanced, in many ways, than mine. Even in the EGR dept., it's WAY more able to adjust things due to "Hey, the EGR is not sending me awesome news through the EGR temp sensor... better do 'a' or 'b'", right? Then the 2 02 sensors... That factor is big, too. You also have a pair system, that dramatically helps... But I meant to ask you..... is your pair valve and piping on there with the LCE header? " ........

Also, another paste from CA Smog Thread.........

"Here's another LCE, I THINK,.... maybe off a 3RZ? Can't figure it out on TTORA... But either way...

WHY WOULDN'T THEY DO THIS on mine????? Why put it so far down the pipe? >>>>

Again, I can't KNOW that's my problem... But dangit if it's not making me suspicious, lol."

AHHHHHHHHHH! lol. I wish I had a really good meter like a Fluke... something really sensitive... But I DO wonder if my dial meter(which reads pretty much everything else, lol).... wont read the 02 Sensor on mine... Makes me think, as I've said, yes, lol, "Maybe it's not reading cuz it's not even putting out a single volt?"
Old 05-02-2012, 07:36 PM

OK....................... break in the monotony OF THIS CRAP! lol.....

Lately, I've been so used to just doing "the bare minimum" for myself to eat... Portion controlling everything, etc. ... Cuz my clients that I cook for have to have a pretty much fixed menu at this point with my life like it is right now....... SOOOO, today, I said, 'FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGETABOUTIT! lol... Went and Grabbed some Top Quality meat.. RACK O-LAMB! lol.... Did a fat tater and sour cream with some sauted spinach, red onion and garlic in creamery butter and coconut oil, then remembered, "HEY, I just made some Red Jalepeno Pepper Jam last week... AND IT'S ON! lol>>>>

Not sure why the pic is so red... it's PERFECT Medium Rare.... to the Degree, trust me! lol. anyway, MAN that was good... And as the old Mennen Aftershave Commercial used to say, ...........'THANKS, I needed that!', lol...

Thanks again for all the chiming in, guys.. I appreciate it much! And I know, it's hard to figure everything out over the computer, lol. This stuff should be a lil easier to pinpoint.. but I might not have what I need on hand. We'll see, I'll ALWAYS try til I'm out of options/or about to jump off a STEEP cliff! lol.

PS> Sorry Jason hehehehe.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that's just mean buddy. Lol looks tasty
Old 05-02-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so where is your o2 sensor. also my 88 4runner v6 is a 4 wire heated o2 sensor as well. if you order any o2 sensor, you want to inform them you have a CA spec vehicle. my parts guy ask me every time i get a quote for a vehicle im working on in the shop. i hate it when he ask because well im in CA and most likely be working on a CA spec vehicle... sigh. anyways for whatever reason in 87, they didnt have heated o2 sensor on you runner than that is why the o2 is placed super close to the head. to heat up faster and stay hot in order for it to work properly. well its what i have rear or learned over the years. i could be wrong.
oh the foood... im hungry and your nowhere near by. man, i would love to go camping with you. i would even supply the food, u just cook it haha
Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW!!! That is one tasty plate you got going there!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 AM

Sorry Jason, lol.... ANY TIME YOU'RE AROUND, Buddy... You know I'll float ya some good smoked meats, whatever i got, ya know? Maybe Regina can get some of that Ham next time! hahaha. (I slow and low grill / roast a MEAN glazed ham! lol)

Toyo...... Where is it? Meaning, "where on the vehicle is it?" Not being sassy, lol... just wasn't sure. I figure you mean "where on the rig".... I'll post a pic again so its' easier to see.....

Not a great pic as far as 'proper angle of shot'... But it's at LEAST a foot back or more from the collector even.

Here's another shot, not of the 02, but from the first photo, you can see where it's at in comparison to the weld behind the collector, right?

WELL SHOOT, VANG.... whatcha waiting for? Stop on by! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-03-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread