86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Livin' the dream"?... welcome to my nightmare brother...

those rails look nice and beefy mark... remember for best mileage get that basket as tight to the roof as you can...
Old 04-12-2012, 04:16 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
^^^Oh I'm not living my dream, no, I'm probably living someone else's dream. that someone else is probably from a 3rd world country or in prison...but that's just a guess.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
That new one you picked up looks like it would be more solid if it will mount to your roof alright.

You going to try and make the rack itself removable and leave the tracks permant? It might be a suggestion just to help with mileage as Aviator mentioned.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:21 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by csuviper
Thanks for the response Chef, I responded on my build. We can keep it there, just knew you knew your s#!t and could be helpful.
My pleasure and thanks for asking me... I appreciate the chance to help if I can

Originally Posted by aviator
"Livin' the dream"?... welcome to my nightmare brother...

those rails look nice and beefy mark... remember for best mileage get that basket as tight to the roof as you can...
Yep, they're beefy........ I have pics of the inside of them, they're quite unique and will REALLY work out as the primary Side Rail(I know I was going to go with the t-track site/still might for some hardware/ but I've come to the conclusion that these are TALLER, which helps to make them 'all that's needed' for the Con-Ferr to sit right on top of them, leaving around 1/3" under the center of the Con-Ferr to the roof.... if I go with the T-tracks, I'd have to rise the Con-Ferr enough to not touch the roof......MORE WORK--less secure, etc..... These tracts will allow me to pull their ends off without being bolted through, as well, which makes it easy to remove the Con-ferr and then slide in a cross bar of my choosing(of course..."one that will fit" lol)... It's also VERY solid, as I said, and does not twist at all when twisting opposite directions on it from each end(very lil)... It ALSO has a small pair of ridges on what will be the bottom, for helpful stabilization on something that's kinda oval.... As well as that, it has partial slits on the bottom on each end.... This will be where I mount things on the end(and I'll have one in the center.... I really need to upload the pics so you can see all the specifics... It's a lil complicated but will be a 'ONE TIME/DONE' type thing that will last as long as I need it to IN short... YES, the con-ferr will not only come off and on easily... It will also slide back and have drop down telescopic arms from an extra gazebo I have, where once I slide it back til only the last bolts are still in the rails.... I can then stand it up like a canopy and use it as shade/etc.

Originally Posted by RBX
^^^Oh I'm not living my dream, no, I'm probably living someone else's dream. that someone else is probably from a 3rd world country or in prison...but that's just a guess.
Hahahaha.... I hear ya!

Originally Posted by Terrys87
That new one you picked up looks like it would be more solid if it will mount to your roof alright.

You going to try and make the rack itself removable and leave the tracks permant? It might be a suggestion just to help with mileage as Aviator mentioned.
Yep! lol.... Answered everything up there. ^^^ Hope you're all well, guys!

I'm doing my daughters(oldest) baby shower on Saturday.... it's a big one and a LOT of work... I know, I'M NUTS! lol. I really needed to add more to my plate right now! hahahaha. Nah, just kidding, and I'M TOTALLY HONORED to be the 'hired Chef' for the day and make her feel proud, etc., while having a fantastic grilled meal! (my Company name is "Marcus Grill" for a reason, along with my email of pvgrillmaster@>>>> hahaha)......

I'm doing 8 Racks of Baby Backs, grilled and smoked/30 Full Split Bone In Chix Breasts/ Home made Baked Beans with Applewood Bacon, Vidalia Onions and Roasted Garlic- in Tomato -Molasses -Brown Sugar -Negra Modelo Beer Reduction Base/Corn Cobs/Crissi Salad(Butter Lettuce, Baby Spinach, Red Leaf with Bacon, Blue Cheese, Fuji Apples(home grown), Candied-Spicy Pecans(also home grown), Dried Bing Cherries and Cranberries and a Lemon Poppy Vinaigrette!!! <<< MY FAVORITE Salad, hands down! Also doing a full pan of my famous Mac And Cheese with Panko Topping and Potato Salad....... FEAST, indeed! For dessert... home made Boysenberry and Apple Pies with Home Made Vanilla Ice Cream(and I mean CREAM, not low fat milk! lol).... WOOT!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Congratulations Granpa...lol...Grandpa is actually my nickname in the guards as I am one of the old firts in our group. Grilled Babyback ribs is one of my favs. Everything sounds great on the menu.

Especially doing for your daughter has got to be an honor for her. I hope everyone has a grat time and a feast. Congrats again.!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:44 PM

Thanks, Terry!

OK< here's the side rails I'll be using/that you've seen parts of... here's the inside, etc.

Here's with a 5/8" hex bolt as the mounting method I'll be using. They will go up/into the Con-Ferr oval mounting tabs.......

I removed the eyelet things... But the caps is what I wanted to show in this....

Just a post again to show they're JUST long enough to cover all 4 mounting tabs on each side of the Con-Ferr(not a great pic to show it, ....but it leaves me about 1.5" on each end of space to put a solid 'stop bolt', KWIMean?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 04-12-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That feast sounds grub. Can I come?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 PM

awesome

Very nice work, props
Old 04-14-2012, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I know you have a big day planned. Wishing you the best of luck and have a really great time.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by csuviper
That feast sounds grub. Can I come?
Hahaha... Well, it's over, sorry I didn't get back to ya in time! lol. Actually, it was a Baby Shower, Bud... Not sure you'd have been comfortable, lol. BUT, on the other hand..... hahaha.

Originally Posted by txinfidel
Very nice work, props
Thanks, Tex.... hope it can spark some ideas for someone.... Maybe someone who can actually get it done in a reasonable time, unlike myself as of late! hahaha.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I know you have a big day planned. Wishing you the best of luck and have a really great time.
It was A VERY successful feast that was devoured like I did NOT plan on seeing a group of 30+ ladies doing! lol. The ribs and chicken were like BUTTA haha. Everyone but my youngest daughters Godmother, the Vegetarian, enjoyed the meats. I smoked them with a combo of applewood and mesquite for a couple hours at 250*F ......... YUMMO! lol.

I ended up doing;

8 Racks Baby Backs

30 Full half Chix Breasts

25 Ears White Corn

1 Gallon Baked Beans with Applewood Bacon(Yes, I smoke my own for it)

2 Half, Deep pans of my "Marcus' Evil Panko 3 Cheese Mac" hehe

1 Full Pan of Baby Spinach, Butter Lettuce and Radicchio Salad with Lemon Poppy Dressing, Amish Blue Cheese, Candied Pecans, Dried Bing Cherries and Cranberries and Fuji Apples.

The party went beautifully, and I can't be more proud of my daughter!

I will have pics in a couple days when the Photographer(a family friend) shoots em to me. Got in a great pic with all the ladies! lol.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:26 PM

Anything left over, Mark ?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:00 AM

Yum I love smoked food that meal sounds like it was awesome, I am smoking some chicken today can’t wait to eat.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks chef

Now I am starving and going to place with sub-par food
Old 04-15-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Anything left over, Mark ?
Oh yes, ... there's plenty to eat in my fridge... And the Mac and Cheese.... well, I always double the recipe.... So, I have 2 MORE half/deep pans to fire off and enjoy with friends and family and acquaintances(I hit stores where everyone loves me and treats me really well as a customer and bring them in surprises like that. And, since my sister is out of town... I'll probably bring one one whole one down to my homies/home-girls at Trader Joes hahaha)

That is, ....unless Jason is swinging by this way?????????? lol. If so, him and Regina or any other Yotatechie within my realm is welcome and has first dibs! lol.

Chuckar.... GREAT to hear people enjoying their smokers/grills already! WOOT! I've been grilling and fabricating meats for 20 years... So I have my PARTICULAR ways about doing things... But many of the methods are just time tested and failproof! I'll share some recipes here, eventually.

Here's a couple links to some guys I respect.... Just for those who've not smoked/grilled alot.... Many cuts/types of meat require patience! Especially with smoking!!!! lol. I mean, you're often cooking at around 225*F and dealing with around 3 stages, AFTER the prepping of the meat/rub and rest overnight process... So it's definitely for those who want the best ribs money can buy made in THEIR OWN BACK YARD! WOOT! lol... Poultry is not my fav smoked(childhood thing, lol).... But I love salmon and much more. My favorite ribs, actually, are BEEF RIBS! Always have been.... I would choose them over Baby Backs 8 of 10 times(I DO love the pork ribs, but actually prefer spare ribs myself.) All in all, NOT MUCH ON THE GRILL/SMOKER THAT I DON'T LIKE! lol.

I do a lot of Bayou Classic Outdoor Frying with my Turkey Fryer... It's SO underused, guys.... I can do a prime rib in 20 minutes! It comes out with a BEAUTIFUL crust and is nothing short of DELICIOUS, every time!

I highly recommend that anyone who's been putting off buying a smoker take a leap into the 'smokey abyss'! lol.... Even if you don't use it much.... once you start, you'll use it more often than you'd planned. It's NOT difficult, just times taking, ya know? As long as you have 'Mis en Place'(a place for everything and everything in it's place) ahead of time.... Dont' forget to soak your wood..... Don't forget the water bath or 400*F bags for the last 40-45 minutes of cooking... Don't forget to have foil on hand AT ALL TIMES, .. you can do this! Most rub ingredients are NOT too crazy... So you'll likely have most of it. BUT, I recommend toasting your spices (certain ones) before grinding and then using in the rubs... It increases flavor in a BIG way. I also recommend keeping stocked up with FRESH spices and herbs..... I'm tellin you guys, ..they get NASTY, bland and useless compared to fresh spice/herbs... If you don't use them that often, just keep only small containers of it on hand, ya know?

I will elaborate further along with recipes, etc., at another time. I've been grilling/smoking for 20 years..... And I can guide you through the steps to BLOW yourself and friends away. Just have to find time to do a new thread and do it right, without leaving ya'all hanging, ya know?

The links/vid's to help.........

I use pineapple juice most often, but also use apple as well.

Another trick to my ribs is that I use Sriracha and Apricot Jam in the Sauce at the end... This gives them a sweet/spicy kick that most people can't figure out.(It's along with the rest of the sauce ingredients, but around 1/3rd, at least)

I'll post more, as I said.

Hope all are well!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:29 PM

Hey Outsane! Sorry, was in and out and typing that while doing other things... didn't refresh so I missed your post, lol. .......... Sorry, as well, for messin with the 'Growl Tank'! lol
Old 04-15-2012, 12:45 PM

Also, thought I'd share this... Seems to be SO CLEAN and nice for the money.... I'd roll it, but don't have a big enough rig to pull it, lol>>>

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...956420824.html

And CHECK THIS OUT! lol.... I like it........

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...948967564.html

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 04-15-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

dang I'd be all over that chinook if I had 2k to spare...

those recipes sound delicious except for the pecan [allergic]...

I just ate an ok steak and I'm makin' a mess...
Old 04-15-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Alright chef

Do you have a starter smoker to recommend?

I found this one..

http://lifehacker.com/5350455/build-...r-for-under-50

Last edited by Outsane; 04-15-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 AM

Holy moly!!! That look delicious!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Outsane
Alright chef

Do you have a starter smoker to recommend?

I found this one..

http://lifehacker.com/5350455/build-...r-for-under-50
OMGOSHHHHHHHHH, .... my entire post just got eaten up! FURIOUSSS! ........

Ahhhhh... OK, lol....

It's not letting me multi-quote, so I'm going to respond to you guys separately....

Smoking is a REALLY argued over topic..... I personally have used around 30 different types, made dozens out of 'WHATEVER' while camping, etc.... and the 4 most similar or exactly like what I have used are the 1-4 and #9 is what I use most often right now(Pitt's and Spitt's, similar to #9)....

http://bbq.about.com/od/smokers/tp/aatp092904a.htm

YES, in short, I WOULD recommend you slap a kit like that together. I have 3 of them now, one up to 24" in diameter, and they're FANTASTIC for 'heat retention' and more. Problem is.... I wouldn't take it on some of the 50mph through the washboard' adventures that I have up in the sierras, etc. Not forgetting to mention... it's bulky. So, I take a smaller Weber(18") with me that I remove the feet and top handle on, etc.... It's like taking a stainless 18" diameter egg with me, hehehe... Plus, it has 3 spring tension retaining clips on it, making it hard for it to bust open even on the roughest trips where it's bouncing around(I haul the coals and wood inside of it and clip it secured and go ) That Weber is such high quality Stainless, Outsane.... it hasn't been compromised in 15 years of sitting outdoors in the rain/cold/hot/sun exposure, WHATEVER, not one bit!

If you get digging into 'the best smokers' in the south/south east', etc., ... you're going to wind up with a headache! I recommend, highly, something like #4 in that link. I LOVE my drum-based smokers, and they are HIGHLY resilient to weather, etc., so along with the nice covers I've made for them, I don't have to worry about them rotting or falling apart, ya know?

HAPPY SMOKING, BUDDY! lol.

PS> DO YOUR RESEARCH on 'getting the right woods', 'how to do the coals just right' and DO NOT resist getting yourself a good coal chimney I have several, and they're FANTASTIC tools for bbq/smoking! One of the biggest points of importance?>>> ''HOW TO PREP THE MEATS/MAKE SURE THEY'RE PREPPED PROPERLY''. THE OTHER?..... don't forget to soak them chips in advance! lol. Lastly.... a good smoking does NOT have tons of smoke pluming out of the chimney/breather! Some people TOTALLY overdo the 'smoke factor'.... and all that does is stab your tongue with overwhelming astringency, IMHO Go with JUST ENOUGH, often 'ONE LARGE CHIP', rather than LOADING the thing. Just remember that if you're using larger pieces they have to soak a bit longer.(I soak them with weight on top of them to keep them submerged).

KILL IT, SMOKEY JR.! lol

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread