86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Waskily Wabbit! Well, not sure which parts you're inquiring about. The wrap around pipe?....Timing cover return pipe? Both, yes, I got them, THANK GOODNESS! Can I be sure they wont leak? ....I hate to say it, but no, lol. However, the wrap around pipe that goes up into the intake?....Looks like new, including the flange, and it's NEVER leaked before, ....you know, ...no water stains. O-ring was flat and dry, but seemingly never leaked. So, ....new O-ring, some Toyota Dealership RTV on the timing cover return pipe to timing cover surface....and I'm I'm all back together and ready to go.

Rob,

Referring to the end of the former statement......I have to wait, this time, just a lil longer for a fully set RTV on a couple things. I should be firing it up in the next couple hours......please, PRAY FOR NO LEAKS! AT LEAST for no leaks I can't fix easily later on.

VERY NERVOUS CHEF, saying thanks for the well wish'n,

Mark
Old 05-27-2010, 05:07 PM

I've really been in a hurry, but here'it'is, YotaTechies! ...........

PS>I'll do a better video when I have time, forgive the quality....

[IMG]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nNb76iZBD-s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nNb76iZBD-s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/IMG]
Old 05-27-2010, 05:08 PM

Sorry, I'm having trouble figuring it out.....brb.......
Old 05-27-2010, 05:10 PM

How do I insert a youtube video, guys? Sorry, ....I'm trying, but all I see is 'embed', and when I try to embed it in here, it just does THAT^^^

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-27-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Old 05-27-2010, 05:46 PM

K, there you go, .....for now! lol.

Gotta tell you, guys, WHAT A RIDE, THUS FAR! Jerry, YOU'RE RIGHT, ....I was so high that it went well I drove down to Toyota to share with my buddy, hahaha.

Rob, sorry bout the quality, I'll do a 'drive by bleeder video' asap, ok? lol.....Had to come in the kitchen and start, so I'm kinda doing both right now.

Couple things; 1. The front Vacuum(larger one) that goes from the Valve Cover to the Upper Intake, it wont stay on there, ...Keeps wanting to pop off, and that clip is old, worn out, so I'm hoping that's all it is(ordered new ones for that and the PCV).
2. It's still doing that weird thingy, where, when I'm driving?...PURFECT, even when coming to a stop and sitting. But, when I idle in the garage, it starts missing and the idle drops. HELP, ok? lol.... 3. The BVSV is leaking out the threads, just a tiny bit, and it seemed less as I drove, but it's gonna have to be dealt with, ....any thoughts?

Other than that, SO FARRRRR, that I can see, ....No leaks, neither oil or coolant, ....starts on the first turn of the key and has plenty of power, ...EXCEPT for when it does that weird thing....then it wants to bog out a lil. Oh well, back to the process of elimination again....BUT AT LEAST IT'S RUNNIN STRONG, EH?

THANKS, GUYS, all of you, very much! Bleeder(one of my initial inspirations, lol), Jerry, Dewitt, Joe, Wabbit, ROB, Moze, Sean, Corey, and MORE that I'll be sure to thank, later on....MAN, I'm amazed at how many cool people I've met on here! As they say, "I LOVE WHAT YOU DO FOR ME,.........YOTATECH!" lol
Old 05-27-2010, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds awsome, glad everything worked out. I got my new clutch done today and have her back home. doesnt it feel good when you work hard on something and it works good.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:15 PM

AMEN, COUGAR! hahaha And actually, back a few pages, I realized upon first start up I had to TEAR DOWN THE INTAKE AGAIN, due to a stuck closed injector and 3 different coolant leaks! lol......But YES, it feels FANTASTICALACIOUS! lol. I would love to see a pic of your rig, whole thing-pic, with those tires on there.

I was making dinner and the Boss' said, "NO WAY, let's go celebrate, ...you pick where"....WAY cool, so I'm off to a mexican place I turned them on to. And I'll be back.....and hoping for some help on getting rid of this HICK-UP, once and for all!!!!! STUPID SENSORS~! lol.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:17 PM

PS> if y'all would like to start betting on what it is, ....THAT WOULD BE FINE WITH ME! LOL. .....Just post it for me, and I'll let you know when I figure it out.

TPS?

AFM?

IACV?

GRRRRRRRRR! LOL
Old 05-27-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mark - I've been lurking and watching the past several days watching your progress. Glad to see that you have finally beat the beast and put the gremlins to bed.

Congrats!

Mark
Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
NICE!!!! She sounds great, Mark!!! Just like I was saying, you just have to be smarter than those stubborn parts lol. So happy for you!

BTW you can pop off the buzzer and loosen a terminal and kill the annoying noise lol but for now just enjoy that nice new engine!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 08:27 PM

Hey Mel, Joe, THANKS MUCH! Mel, GREMLINS INDEED! HAHAHA. Joe, STUBBORN & 1/2, DANGGGGGGGG! lol. That wrap around pipe is LIKE NEW, I got so lucky for 20$!!! I hope people heed my warming and DO NOT OVER CLEAN that aircraft aluminum piping! BIG MISTAKE! It's so funny, ...that other pipe I replaced, that goes into the timing cover(return pipe?).....IT'S COMPLETELY covered in electrolysis, ....and IT DOESN'T LEAK A DROP!

I'm really even more happy about not having any oil leaks so far. I feel really bad for 'J', aka 92, .....SUCKS, and I remember like it was hours ago, just how much of PITA that pan was, .....HANGING FROM A HOIST, let alone in the truck! The #1 tip I can share from my personal experience? .....DON'T USED A GASKET!....unless it's 85 and older, lol.

Yeah, it sounds REALLY throaty, ..but the video doesn't relay the sound very well. I guess if I did one in 'high' setting, it might also sound better?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:46 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
YAY......Chef....i will watch it when i get home tonight,,,,,,,hooray!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 05:08 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds awesome Chef, love the exhaust note. Happy for you man, no leaks! Sounds like you just have minor bugs to work out, Good job bud, I'll check back in with you next week!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:25 AM

SWEET, ROB! lol.....I told ya I'd have a Vid for ya before you left! lol. HAVE A GREAT TRIP, man, and btw, ....DANG that Taco is NICE! So funny how small the 4Runner looks on the trailer compared to that thing....I didn't realize they were that big in the newer models!

JERRY, my man! You were a HUGE help, Jerry, as were many others, and I really appreciate your spending time to help me, .....take care, and can't wait to see that SMOG CERT!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
SWEET, ROB! lol.....I told ya I'd have a Vid for ya before you left! lol. HAVE A GREAT TRIP, man, and btw, ....DANG that Taco is NICE! So funny how small the 4Runner looks on the trailer compared to that thing....I didn't realize they were that big in the newer models!
Thanks Chef, I spent several years & several $$ on sutle mods for the taco when I realized that I didn't want to mod it anymore, just try to keep it nice. That is why I bought the 4runner, I gotta have something to tinker with!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:46 AM

Thought I'd post a lil 'BEFORE AND AFTER'.......

>
>
>
BEFORE........

>
>
>
>
AND AFTER........

Old 05-28-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah for You!!! Good going Chef!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Yeah for You!!! Good going Chef!!!

THANKS, LUMPY! It's at Toyota, overnight, cuz a homeboy is gonna check it out for a few bucks....just to pinpoint that idle issue. He has an 86, EFI, so he can take stuff off it and check to be sure, etc. I figured, ...WHAT THE HAY, eh? lol.

Take care, guys, and GOD BLESS OUR SERVICEMEN WHO GAVE IT ALL FOR OUR FREEDOM! OOOOOOOOOH RAHHHHH!
Old 05-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the valve cover and intake, how did you paint those. they look really nice, kinda make me want to take mine off and re doo them. well off to the bmx races with me son. catch ya later.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread