86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:21 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by oneIwilly
The Jeep is called a FC probably 150.I believe the FC170 was dually.
Thanks, OneIwilly. Yeah, it looked BEEFY, axles, etc. It would be so fun to put a special bed on that, fix it up turn it into a real expedition wagon! lol. My friend has a really old Jeep Truck that's SICK! 406 V8, 5 Speed Conversion, Long Bed with Pop up'n'out Camper.... Seriously, it's BEAUTIFUL and very capable... That thing looked like a really capable war time or City Vehicle from a ways back... I just love those! I saw a willy's at Pick-Your-Part a couple months ago... it was TOTALLY COMPLETE, less motor....... 2 days later, it had been bought. Not that I can take on that project, but I regretted not even looking into it on the phone while I was there, ya know? lol. I DO love the older Wagoneers, too. My neighbor had one that I always was admiring.. Blue with wood and SUPER PHAT Built V8!

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
ahhhhhHhhhhh!!! seeing that straight bed kills me mark! hahah! oh well ill find one in great shape for cheap after i build my flatbed -.- watch and see, ill be angry! glad to hear your and the familiy is doing good! i really need to get more pics of my build, i have thus named her (sammy...long story...for another update for sure)!
Don't let it get to ya... It wasn't to tease ya... Trust me though, they're VERY quickly gone out here, too. I would just find another whole rig w/out a motor or something w/a decent bed.... out here, that's not so difficult, but people are starting to ask WAY too much for them, even with blown motors.... "Dude, you know you want this SFA Classic! It doesn't run, but you can make it into a crawler! Just 3K$~!" lol..... Once in a while, I see one... but yeah, it's more rare than it used to be.

Originally Posted by 676869addict
looks great
THANKS! I'm tryin...lol. Yours looks like A BEAST! Like it
Old 03-05-2012, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
Always liked those FC type trucks the old toyota van... the VW westies... the original Ford Econolines...

truck is looking good Mark
Thanks! Yeah, I had a buddy with an INSANE Expedition Ready F250 QuadroVan..... Looked similar to this.......

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-05-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:43 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Very cool pics mark, can't believe you saw a hiace, 4wd at that and an FR-s.

S10 rack:
Was at the yard yesterday, and there are atleast 3 different racks from the 90s. Mine came from a 96 according to the truck in the yard.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm jealous of the beauties you find at that pick a part... the yards around here almost never get anything that good anymore...
Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by RBX
Very cool pics mark, can't believe you saw a hiace, 4wd at that and an FR-s.

S10 rack:
Was at the yard yesterday, and there are atleast 3 different racks from the 90s. Mine came from a 96 according to the truck in the yard.
I know, .... it was right before you made that post about it, too!(IIRC, lol).... I would DIG having one of those... Always loved the practicality of VANS! 4WD VANS?>>>> SHHHWEET! lol. That econoline my buddy had was SICK, ...really one that I'd love to one day have Thanks on the year S10 rack thing, too. I was laughing so hard when I saw that I HAD a rack that was 2 solid metal rails(that I added 2 of the other kind too, not even paying attention).

I'm jealous of the beauties you find at that pick a part... the yards around here almost never get anything that good anymore...
Seriously..... the ONLY thing I can't find plenty of is MY RIG! lol. I'm sure CALMINI would have more... just kinda far for me.... I think, lol. I see cool cars/trucks every time I hit these yards. I wish I had a lot of stuff to fix up for sale/fun... For example, I see SC 400's all the time! I would really like to have one.... But I wouldn't bother with a half totaled car, first, lol. However, if I needed parts, there they are! lol. These yards also have a "Newer Car Lot", 2$ more to get in from the inside of the other one... So I'm sure there are occasional Taco's, etc., in there.

If gas was still 1$ a gallon, I'd be grabbing some of the OLD Camaro's, Mustangs, etc. (Wouldn't mind owning a newer one like a 92 LX-5.0 stang, either, to 'project-up'! lol. Actually, my Bro's LS1 Camero get's like 27MPG just cruising! lol.... That's WAY better than I'll ever get with this thing! lol. Not sure what 5.0's get.... but I'm sure it's around 18-20, at least AS GOOD as mine, lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-06-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Chefyota,

I've been a 'Tech member since 07', and lost my password nearly the day I made it (I was in highschool, what can you expect?) But, over the years since I've had numerous Toyota 22RE/3VZ's and always somehow ended up back on some thread you've had your handy work in.

You're a master of the craft, and your positivity keeps me going. keep it up!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:49 PM

Hey Rasta Rocket, sup?

LOVE THE LICENSE PLATE! lol... Just insert "I NEED" before that and it'd fit my life/rig well! lol. Actually, I'm 'ok', .....just trying to be frugal and plan ahead.... After all, 5$ Gas is just weeks away... Gotta be a wise steward, right? haha.

I swear I remember you... but I guess I might be thinking of another "RASTA" yota member, lol.

Thanks alot, wow! lol. I'm just good at recall and have tons of dudes on here that have helped me through each dilemma/mod. But thanks, nonetheless
Old 03-06-2012, 03:13 PM

Lil update #1895, hahaha........

Just sharing that while I don't have time to spend out in the garage/outside with the rig.... I brought in my 4Runner Shell trip piece that broke and fixededed it up as best as I could. Watching Terry, our fellow Yota-Brudda, fixing his trim....that gave me the idea of something I could do INSIDE the house, keeping an eye on "Ole Gimpy", ...(He laughs when I say that... Gotta laugh, or otherwise cry, ya know? lol).

My Brother In-law(couldn't ask for a better blood brother! And we're that close ).... He lost his father the other day(Cancer just spread through him and anihilated his body within months/Leukemia)..... The funeral is today, so mom asked if I'd hang out with her hubby, keeping him out of trouble..... So, as I've mentioned, "The time I think I'm going to have is usually sucked up by the 'infirmity succubus'!" lol.... I think I'd mentioned my Bro-inlaws Father being ill... Just thought I should update, as well, on that.

First, I took the shorter piece and repaired fracture that was traveling up the length of it(you'll see in the pic, lol)... and I applied some JB-Kwik Weld to the inside, just past the end of the fracture and all the way to the other end....

Then, I had to get creative and prop up the longer piece as it wants to fall over.... Used tool drawer liner to stop it from sliding backward and propped up a couple other areas, then JB-Kwik Welded it as well, hoping I can put my trim back in..........

It broke by hyper extension, so it doesn't fit back together perfectly, on one end, as you can see... But it's a solid bond and should work. I might use some super glue on the outside or gorilla glue, ....something to give it some bonding strength on both sides. I don't want to jbweld it on the outside, obviously for appearance... So hopefully the inside bond will do with an added bond on the outside of the Krazy Glue.

I'm TICKED, as I got those rear panels w/the speaker holes still in tact/cargo and jack doors on there....and roll bar pad, etc., ...and DIDN'T EVEN THINK of grabbing the trim(Can't remember if it was even there, cuz I'M PRETTY ANAL about stuff like that, hahahaha... It might have been gone, but I KNOW I've seen it more than once and didn't remember to grab at least that one piece..... grrr!

I'm going to also install some felt adhesive tape on those edges(it came that way factory), to prevent 'TRIM RATTLE'.... ya'all know what I'm talking about if you have a 4Runner! lol.

Sorry it's not more... :/ but I'm trying to work with the time I have to make my "Roja" more and more "restored". lol.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I remember when you could get those Camaros fairly cheap. Now I wouldnt even consider looking at one without having $15k in my hands and that is cheap for around here.

Both of my trims cracked or busted in the exact same way and place. I have a notepad in my phone that is a mile long on parts. Anytime I think of something I need, I stop right then and add it. Otherwise I will forget it.

Then when in the boneyard I get the hard to find parts first on top of what I originally went for in the first place. Funds determine which ones and how many I get but dont know how many times my phone has helped out. If I cant afford it at the time and it is possible to hide the part, I have done that too. i will put it in a Chevy or Ford that is fairly new in the yard. Anybody scrounging thru it wouldnt want the part anyways if they find it. Put it in a Toy and it will be gone.

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-07-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Good looking repair job from the back Mark...
Sorry to hear about your bro-in-laws dad... that's rough but also a kindness that he did'nt suffer for long and you all had time to say goodbye [in a way if not in fact] and prepare yourselves...
You and your family are strong you'll get through this rough patch...
Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I remember when you could get those Camaros fairly cheap. Now I wouldnt even consider looking at one without having $15k in my hands and that is cheap for around here.

Both of my trims cracked or busted in the exact same way and place. I have a notepad in my phone that is a mile long on parts. Anytime I think of something I need, I stop right then and add it. Otherwise I will forget it.

Then when in the boneyard I get the hard to find parts first on top of what I originally went for in the first place. Funds determine which ones and how many I get but dont know how many times my phone has helped out. If I cant afford it at the time and it is possible to hide the part, I have done that too. i will put it in a Chevy or Ford that is fairly new in the yard. Anybody scrounging thru it wouldnt want the part anyways if they find it. Put it in a Toy and it will be gone.
I'm telling ya, Terry! THESE YARDS ARE LIKE A REALITY SHOW AT THIS POINT!(the L.A. Yards). I've been writing it down, as I remember. I have a couple V6 Ignitor/Coil packs, for those who might need one.... 89+ Truck/90+ 4Runner Climate Bezel with clock..... YES, yes I do, lol...But MY TRUCK STYLE? RAAAAAAAAAAAAAARELY comes in there any more! I wish I had the money/SPACE, I'd start buying up used ones on CL! I'd LOVE to do that for a fully time hobby(when I get more freed up from my life as it is right now, lol). I hide stuff to, but they move stuff a lot and clean everything out after the 'SALES'(50% off all items). I had a full set of in tact brown ones, ....sold it with the shell I had off my white/wrecked runner..... STUPID! He didn't even ask for em, and I said, "Hey, you want these?" HAHAHAHA.

Good looking repair job from the back Mark...
Sorry to hear about your bro-in-laws dad... that's rough but also a kindness that he did'nt suffer for long and you all had time to say goodbye [in a way if not in fact] and prepare yourselves...
You and your family are strong you'll get through this rough patch...
Hahaha... thanks on the JB Weld stuff, lol... It's not important to be all smooth, but I tried to brush it flat after that pic in spots... I don't want it resting on that stuff in spots.... But I think if I sand off too much of it, it'll lose too much strength, ya know? I used Crazy glue on the front/visible side, built it up good, to form a clear seam in the cracks.... Then I'll get some gray putty from my buddy that machinist... (NO WAY am I spending any more money on this!) lol.

Thanks on the good thoughts.... I'm hanging in there, we all are... I'm blessed... s'all good, and no matter how rough it gets I am grateful to have my next breath....Trying to help in keeping everyone else positive/grateful for what they/we have as well
Old 03-07-2012, 10:59 AM

PS> My Charcoal Canister is making a 'hissing/weazy' noise at times when I kill the motor and let it sit there for a bit.... WTH? I THINK it's the Evap Can... almost sounds like it could be either that or the Wiper Motor thingy over there/above it.

I almost NEVER see people replacing those..... Gonna look up the 'maintenance suggestions' on that. Just curious if anyone has any info on that bookmarked? lol

Also, I'm having a very occasional 'erratic idle', where it drops off, like before, and then comes back up to par. It REALLY seems to only do that when it's really cold outside and windy... But I don't want to jump to conclusions. I REALLY have this itching feeling that something is still/always has been wrong within my EFI or IGN system. DANGIT! lol. It's nothing that would stop me from driving it to NY, right now! But, well, you know,.... I DON'T LIKE HICCUPS! lol.

Thanks, lemme know whatcha think, guys.

(ONLY other thing I have time to add right now is that my STUPID HP 6500 WIRELESS ALL IN ONE PRINTER IS REFUSING TO PRINT BLACK, ALL THE SUDDEN! I've reset it, it's full..... tried the recommendations, ...it's just not printing in black! I DID remove the gray bar that goes across the back before I realized I didn't need to do that... and it printed before I did it... But it's not broken, and it's not seemingly out of alignment on any of the other/color ones. I had to print a letter in GREEN, embarrassing! lol. I'm so done with screwing with this stuff. I think I'll take it in and see what they say(where I bought it, Office Depot)... If it's some crazy amount to fix, FORGET IT! GRRR!)
Old 03-07-2012, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my canister does the same thing now. never before. i pulled one of the hoses to the can and it had alot of vacuum. also every time i fill up theres alot of vapors coming out when i open the cap
Old 03-07-2012, 03:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Always love to stop in and see your progress!!!
I show this thread to my buddies who drive 4 runners. It gives them inspiration to forge ahead!
Keep up the great work chef!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I dont have any suggestions on the charcoal canister. I would check to make sure all lines are flowing or not clogged.

We have an all in one printer. About throw it as far as I can. Has very little use and nothing but a pain in the rear.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:28 PM

Hey chef just checkn in man hope all is good. Just new yota 2001 taco trd 3.4 supercharged rear diff locker and a fabtech 6in on 35s ill try in pics up tomorrow
Old 03-10-2012, 05:25 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by toyospearo
I show this thread to my buddies who drive 4 runners. It gives them inspiration to forge ahead!
funny, whenever i see this thread i get the shakes and want to stop reading immediately... i mean, 150-ish pages is daunting... and now that i have a first gen im even more concerned... LMAO!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
my canister does the same thing now. never before. i pulled one of the hoses to the can and it had alot of vacuum. also every time i fill up theres alot of vapors coming out when i open the cap
Hmmmm, that sounds like the Gas Cap to me, Toyo... Did ya grab a new one any time recently? Clearly could be something else... but that can cause issues for sure when they don't vent. I think mine is fairly new(IIRC)... so not sure if it's the problem on my end... hmmm.

Originally Posted by toyospearo
Brudda, you have no idea how inspiring it is to ME, in fact, to get any props at all from a person like you who has done/is doing such incredible work on these trucks. I wish I wasn't at such a standstill on it right now, but 'life' comes first, ...so that's ok. Sux, cuz it's fairly simple things I'm wanting to get finished, but I need my rig almost every day and I can't really go without it, because the timing of my needing it is so sporadic, ya know? Probably will be able to do the rack/s thing, soon, as I might be able to pull the top for a few days(weather is INSANELY beautiful... I'll have to look up the forecast). Anyway, it's not an 'emergency', none of it, like when my motor was so fubar, lol. Just like to always be adding improvements that I have/had planned, ya know?

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I dont have any suggestions on the charcoal canister. I would check to make sure all lines are flowing or not clogged.

We have an all in one printer. About throw it as far as I can. Has very little use and nothing but a pain in the rear.
I hear ya on the fuel lines... Eek! lol. Have to look up some info on checking all those... Thanks. (Do you think it could in some way cause mileage problems? I have GREAT performance/pick up, compared to most 22RE's I drive in.... it's no stroker, but you get the point.... Yet, my MILEAGE, ugh! LOL. (I'm on the mileage thread again, chat'n about it..... )

Far as the printer, .... I LOVE "Protection Plans"....ESPECIALLY with printers! Seems like 1 year and 2 weeks into my purchase, MANY, not all of them, have taken a turn on me(putting them past the Manuf. Warranty). The printer this time went south, MAYBE, because of something I did...(pulling up the support/pin-alignment arm)... But I REALLY doubt it, due to what I've learned asking techs. The cart(black)that wouldn't work after this was vented fine, no major blockage at the jets and it was printing fine just a week before, the last time I printed about 4 pages..... It worked flawlessly! The other thing is 'drivers' go bad... But usually, when that happens, it will print from 'copy', just not from a document from the computer(which requires the printer-driver). My personal opinion is that when I opened the wrong thing(the alignment/pinhead retainer arm) something went bad by freak chance. The funny thing is, EVERYTHING lined up when I inspected per instructions of the HP tech... And, this; The second I start asking tech's, GURU'S even, "Hey, my HP 6500 Wireless 4-1 .......", they cut me off and say, "OH BOY, ...dude, I HATE printers.... Gotta have em, but HATE EM, and most 'issues' they or the drivers have are either SO expensive or messy or problematic to find... they're 'now considered 'throwaways' and you just send em back to where you bought em or the manufacturer. I wont touch this, go to HP sites and hit up 'Hendrick'... he's the Printer Guru." I did this, but none of his 10 or so solutions worked, ..... so within a couple hours of messing with it in total, I dug up the "Office Depot Protection Plan" that I purchased in 2010 for 12$.... and VOILA, I got an email with a label, instructions on shipping and should have a 98$+Tax Gift Card that Office Depot, yesterday, told me they will just put back on my card. I got an HP 8600 Wireless APP/Mobile-Ready Monster, lol.... Which he gave me as an open box(shhhh) for 100$! WOOT! LOL. I have the same plan for my Computer, and I'm actually hoping something goes wrong with it in the next few months(before Nov., lol), so I can swap it in for a newer one as well! .... But alas, it's been working flawlessly, grrr! lol. JK, JK! hahaha. I just want one with HDMI and a couple other features.... I'm pretty happy with my Compaqrap, hehehehe.

Originally Posted by baddest94
Hey chef just checkn in man hope all is good. Just new yota 2001 taco trd 3.4 supercharged rear diff locker and a fabtech 6in on 35s ill try in pics up tomorrow
DUDE, you're kidding me! Did you sell the classic? Ok, now I'm anxious to see this thing, C'MON wit'da pics, brudda! lol.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by space-junk
funny, whenever i see this thread i get the shakes and want to stop reading immediately... i mean, 150-ish pages is daunting... and now that i have a first gen im even more concerned... LMAO!
hahahaha.... Sorry man.... You know, it's funny; I never did so much chatting on here about 'everything' until my life got so overwhelming and the work on the rig slowed down! lol.

I got some good updates coming, I promise! (NOTHING to do with printers/illness or crises, either, PROMISE! lol)

Thanks for stopping in, Troy.... CONGRATZ, AGAIN, to you and the MudBunny! Come back,.... I guarantee you'll find something you can actually use for that new rig, once again, pretty soon here on my build hahaha. But hey, until then.... If you have a family member with 5 Major Illnesses, Multiple Family members in crises, printers or computers on the fritz.... look back over these last few pages, ...you might find something useful! hahaha.

PS> I'm REALLY trying, while I'm stuck inside more, to gather ALL my more 'tech' RELATED posts where I have solutions/diagnosis/beyond the book findings and such and making a nice long post of 'troubleshooting and mods' 'edit' to the first post in my build or something, ya know?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nope still the same cap for years. not sure if i may have put alot of stress on an old evap system by going from low to high attitude and back lot.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread