86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dam california cars always so clean, lol hey man good luck on the p90x thing ive done it 3 times and love it, got me in the best shape of my life, improved so many aspects of my life, from hockey and lacrosse, to work and overal energy levels
Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rworegon
Good thoughts your way, Chef! I hear you on the parent/step-parent quality of life issues...my dad had a stroke at 66, another at 68 (both times without paralysis), and now at 70 has numerous TIA and is basically homebound. It really stinks, but as you say...we are not in charge.
Thanks, RW! I/We really appreciate it!

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
hey mark looks like ur doing good! just checking on build threads like i do every week, this week i picked up my 82! already got a build thread if u care to see, also havent been to my local yard to see what he has in for the antenna, did you ever find one?
Hey Josh, .... I did not grab an antenna just yet. It's kind of down on the list for now as I want to install the Aux power outlets and possibly buss-bar and roof rack.... Gonna be a bit of work that I don't really have much spare time for(and it's still raining quite a bit on and off... which slows up the shell thing because I NEED the rig able to cruise around at a moments notice. BUT....., if I see one at the yard, ...I'LL BE ON IT LIKE A WET BLANKET! lol.

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Chef, nice the little guy looks like you.
Hahaha... Ya think? Hmmmm.... My daughter says that... I guess people see things at times. Either way, he's healthy and that's all that matters to me at the base of things, ya know?

Originally Posted by aviator
Good looking young man... has his mama's chin line but your eyebrows...
guessing he has his daddy's eyes...

good to know opa can still out party the young bucks...

sorry to hear your daughter is still looking for work but think of the $ she's saving on daycare... and why don't you hook her up with a server or dish washer slot at your place.... hmmmm?
probably not great cash but if work is needed...

that is an immaculate runner...
Yeah, I can't depend on her at a moments notice, Paul.... I wish I could, but she can't do that, usually... I've thrown things her way when I can(things that are planned ahead), but my needs are hardly ever like that... And she really needs something steady/full time(her mom will handle him while Haley works, as will I when I can/lots harder for me in my situation).... So it's all on whether she really 'WANTS IT', ya know what I mean? I wouldn't dog here on here, ... not gonna help.... but she's DEFINITELY gotta start prioritizing, ya know? I KNOW she'll do well at something she enjoys..... We just can't always start off that way, ya know? hahaha. I worked for plenty of SCREAMING/boiling potato slinging/cursing Chefs, including a Master Chef from Austria that I SWEAR thought he was in the SS! lol..... But, like she'll find/like USUALLY happens with some tough employers/.... if you bust your rump and prove dependable/able to do what you're told/lack insubordination..... your earn they're respect and trust... and then, MORE OPPORTUNITY! lol. I'm REALLY hoping for something soon... cuz we're all struggling, and equally as important..... I KNOW it will give her a MUCH BRIGHTER outlook on 'day to day' life. If she could work nights, her son's father working days as he does.... WOW, they'd always have him covered and he'd never be w'out one of them, ya know? But for now, .... ANY JOB WILL DO! hahaha.

Originally Posted by 88rustbucket
dam california cars always so clean, lol hey man good luck on the p90x thing ive done it 3 times and love it, got me in the best shape of my life, improved so many aspects of my life, from hockey and lacrosse, to work and overal energy levels
Yeah, there are soooooooo many second gens out here(the South Bay-L.A.) that are equally as clean as that one.... But that one had 125K!!! lol. Anyway,..... I really hope I can manage some of my injuries from the past to the point that I can go ALL OUT and make the most of that system! I need it so badly! I was in INCREDIBLE shape up to 32 or so, when I had that wreck! GRRR! lol.

Take care, guys... I plan to get ON THIS STUFF, asap! I have a couple other projects I might tackle while at the 'aux power outlet' stuffs..... I want to install that trunk area cargo light that I ripped off of that 2nd gen(it's a 3-way/1 plug set up, just like the dome in my rig... but it's FAR brighter! lol. I think it's RBX or Toyo that I'll be copying on that one.... RB, pretty sure. lol.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:04 AM

hahah yeah i feel ya mark, its been the same down here, rainy, then freezeing, then nice, then hot, bi polar whether, grrrr ill be sure to grab one if i see it also! and if you see any first gen interior parts let me know i need the dash bezel that goes around the radio, ebay wants 100$......
Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 AM

Hey Josh, ........... I'll PM ya, might be able to help out there, k?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 AM

OOOh, think you meant for the 82, right? Sorry bud! ...............

You mean these.................? >>>>>>>>>>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/79-80-81-82-...item256c4328d3

Or this? .>>>>>>>>>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-1983-To...item3a70058b4a

OUCH! Yeah, it's like half the dash face, lol.... no wonder you're gonna pay for that in comparison to one like mine that's in pieces and FAR more common! ....eeek, ... Best wishes on the hunt.

PS> I think that WNC store on there IS the JBM715 I PM'd you about. Not sure, but I'd ask him if he'll come down, just for the heck of it... tell him you're a Yotatech Member and see what he says, right? Why not?!? haha.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:33 PM

Whatcha think? ........ Would rather have an 85 w/EFI, .......but just curious whatchu guys think(ASIDE FROM THE STUPID FLAMES! lol).......

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2835287003.html
Old 02-13-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
flames add 10hp. at least take a look at it... great price, imo (just from looking)
Old 02-13-2012, 03:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you plan on doing any hardcore crawling?

Even if so I would sas what you have now
Old 02-13-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark
found my seats! haha
Old 02-13-2012, 04:08 PM

Actually, I planned on finding some 'projects' as an 'investment' for 'resale'! lol. Not interested in any hard core crawling any time soon... But yeah, I'm fully aware of all the 'high steer' issues, etc., and often, building up an IFS truck ends up more capable than building up a stock 84-85 SFA 4Runner.

PS> on the 84..... it's quite a drive for just a lookie... But around here? NOTHING like that would be 1400$... heck, I've seen em for 2000$+ without a motor or trans! lol.

Hey Ian, .....good eye! hahaha. I actually have one of those seats in my backyard. Never dawned on me to take a look/pic! hahaha.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Depending on the frame condition I'd swap frame and body of your re runner if I had the money for a second runner with sfa IMO
Old 02-14-2012, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
It being a Cali truck, I am sure the body is solid. Carbs arent bad to work on, just gotta stir up the cobwebs to remember how. With the flames on it, that would be a good excuse to learn some different painting ways. Anything you do would only help it.

Just checking in on you.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:23 AM

Hey guys, ....

Yeah, RB, I hear ya... Just can't, no way. No time(more importantly space) to take on a chassis swap, ya know? I WISH! lol.

Terry, sup? lol. Yeah, it has fiberglass fenders, too. NOT a fan on these, they just look so good with factory bodies, IMHO, ya know?

Thanks for checking in, guys... Sorry I've been so slacking on doing anything I have planned... TRUST ME, it's driving me much more crazy than you, lol. But hey, at least I got the deck done, right? hahaha.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Chef... work/family gets in the way time to time...
cook any good recipes lately?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Just wondering what you decided on the other runner? Im not a fan of the big plastic fenders my self. I do like the factory flares that come on some of these. One of these days I want to try and find me a set.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Hey Chef... work/family gets in the way time to time...
cook any good recipes lately?
Hey Paul, sup brudda? Yeah, it's insane at times.... But THANK GOD, things have calmed down a little bit, for now(The old dude is doing a LIL better, and no other obvious crises/other than the minor, more manageable ones)...

Yes, lots of cooking, has to be to survive! lol. I will post some up that I did for a REALLY powerful Chinese Family that owns a HUGE freighting/shipping company, just the other day. It went really well.... but we'll see. I did a tasting of a few things....

Mediterranean Garlic Bread(With Home Grown Plum Tomatoes and Basil, Buffalo Mozzarella, Roasted Garlic, bits of high quality Salami, well seasoned/bit spicy / over pre-buttered and toasted French Baguette Slices, topped with a Drizzle of really good Olive oil, Balsamic and Herb-Oil)... I can post up a recipe, soon.

Brie/Papaya Quesadilla with a Sweet-and-Spicy Mango Chutney and Spiced Creme Fresh

Wild Blue Mazatlan Shrimp Appetizers, one, glazed with a Home Made Mildly Spicy Red Jalepeno Jelly, stuffed and baked inside Cream Cheese Stuffed, Halved Jalepeno/ Then, some with a Cream Cheese/Tomato and Basil Cream Sauce wrapped in Pancetta, wrapped/tied in a few strands of Large Linguini.

Puff Pastry Tortes, With Creme Brulee In Centers, Caramelized Hard Sugar top of Turbanado Sugar, then 4 Berries and Mango Cubes, Topped with whipped cream with a dash of nutmeg and a sprig of mint.

That's what they asked for, ....that's what I did, lol. It all was VERY tasty and well received.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Just wondering what you decided on the other runner? Im not a fan of the big plastic fenders my self. I do like the factory flares that come on some of these. One of these days I want to try and find me a set.
Well, .... The guy told me he got a higher offer, so I backed out. He may call, but it's no biggie, I'll figure out something, ya know? lol. Yeah, the fender flares are nice... Had them on my 85 that I had for a short time.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:27 PM

had to go back a few pages and catch up LOL. just checkin in man may we can catch up one day when Im in the area.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Chef.. I have been trying to learn to cook Chinese myself. If you got any easy recipe sites I would appreciate it. I get to be Mr. Mom next week as the wife goes and gets operated on and will be out of commision for awhile. I also like good Thai food.

Maybe the runner will workout for you. There is an 86 in my area for 500 but am going to have to pass on it. Supposedly it just needs a headgasket. Urghh...
Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
had to go back a few pages and catch up LOL. just checkin in man may we can catch up one day when Im in the area.
PLEASE let me know if you're avail out here, ANY TIME, ok? Love hangin out, man! Tell Reggie I said, HERRRRRRRROOOOOOOO! lol.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Chef.. I have been trying to learn to cook Chinese myself. If you got any easy recipe sites I would appreciate it. I get to be Mr. Mom next week as the wife goes and gets operated on and will be out of commision for awhile. I also like good Thai food.

Maybe the runner will workout for you. There is an 86 in my area for 500 but am going to have to pass on it. Supposedly it just needs a headgasket. Urghh...
Hey Terry... I've been cooking multi-regional and fusion foods for almost 20 years... Including Chinese, Cantonese, Szechuan, Philippine's, Thai, Indian, Moroccan(I know, but it's regional w/in regions! lol), Many Arabic Foods, Multi-Euro regions, even Creole and Cajun(US Regional Cuisines that come from OTHER, international regions, hahahaha... and I gotta tell ya... Once again, while Thai is still hot right now... Indian too... JAPANESE NEVER FAILS TO DO REALLY WELL! They really know how to excite the palate without too many offensive(to some) flavors(meaning, 'flavors that you have to get used to, over time, lol).

I STILL haven't brought my hard drive in from the garage(wherever it is) that includes some GREAT recipes, thousands of them, that I CAN actually share. Many I have I can not, simply because I either developed them AT a restaurant/hotel, or, I use THEIR recipes to this day, ...which they are VERY strict about confidentiality, regarding their 'private/secret recipes', hehehehehe. HOWEVER, ............I can 'TWEAK' them a bit, which I often do, and VOILA, I am able to share it. Obviously, you can tweak the same, and use them to suit the palates of you and yours, ya know?

Do you ever do reduction sauces?(like with Juices, Demiglace, etc.?) If so, a really cool thing I made for my kids, for years, which they BEGGED FOR? ....

Crispy Orange Beef and Broccoli;
Ingredients

• 1 1/2 pounds beef Skirt Steak(or top sirloin), thinly sliced on bias
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 cup long grain rice
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons orange zest(Use a TBSP. if you want it REALLY Orange'd Out)
  • 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 8 broccoli florets, lightly steamed or blanched
  • 2 cups oil for frying
  • 2 tsp. Garlic/Chilli Pepper Sauce(Bright Red type with seeds, like Sriracha) if you like it with a lil more kick
Directions

1. Lay beef strips out in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Allow to dry in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, rice vinegar, orange juice concentrate, salt, Garlic-Chile Sauce(if desired) and soy sauce. Set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, combine rice and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender. Add more water at the end if necessary.
  3. Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Toss dried beef in cornstarch to coat(I did this because MANY forget to do this, ..... and good luck getting 'CRISPY BEEF' if forgotten, lol).. Fry in the hot oil in small batches until crispy and golden brown; set aside. Drain all of the oil from the wok except about 1 tablespoon.
  4. Add orange zest, ginger and garlic to the remaining oil, and cook briefly, until fragrant(you're looking for a strong, pleasant 'aroma', that's all). Add the soy sauce mixture to the wok, bring to a boil, and cook until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Add beef, and heat through, stirring to coat. Serve immediately over steamed rice, and garnish with broccoli.
There's one for you to try out for now, Terry! it's nothing fancy, but kids LOVE it and its at least something other than "Brocolli Beef and Orange Chicken", ya know? I could post up 'Peking Duck' and a few others, ...but for now, I'll stick to the more simple/fail safe recipes.

Terry, I sure hope your wife has no complications and a SPEEDY recovery!

I apologize to MANY on here who've asked for recipes.... It seems I've only had time to jump on and keep in touch.... and when I do, I'm usually working with a frazzled memory, so I forget, to be honest! lol.

I will make an effort to put up a few more for you, Terry, and maybe include one for every week?

Tomorrow I'll post up a couple of my most popular Thai Recipes... THEY ALWAYS sold out, WITHOUT FAIL! K?

Just for those who wanna try the "Mediterranean/Greek Garlic Bread" , here ya go.........

* 1 Fresh Baked French Baguette, Halved the long way, then cut into 5 slices each half(Cut on the bias, as it makes baked breads that are crispy easier to bite into/ and cut at a diagonal... you're looking for trapezoidal shaped pieces, like a Diamond, with 45degree angled ends). You basically want 2 slices of Roma to fit on top of each slice of bread, so slice the bread, depending on length of baguette, accordingly.

* 4 Plum tomatoes, RIPE, but not overripe, cut into 1/4" slices. You should have around 6 slices per Tomato, max. I cut the very end(bout a dime size) of the tomatoes off, so either side of ANY slice is skinless.

* 20 Slices/ around 1/4" thick or less, of GOOD, whole milk Mozzarella log(do not use shredded, it will not be the same

* At least 10 Large leaves of FRESH Basil(rinsed). (By large leaves I mean 3"L x 1.5"W, but you basically want to end up with around half a cup of chopped basil). Lay all the basil leaves on top of each other, roll them up tightly into a cigar, then slice from one end to another into a Julienne(bout 1/8" thick)... Then slice the opposite way, at least once(more if you want the pieces smaller for more wider disbursement... I prefer halved slices, for the stringy effect).

* 1 tsp. fresh Cracked Black Pepper, 1 tsp. Paprika(use 1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper if you want it spicier), 2 tsp. Kosher Salt(or coarse sea salt), 1 tsp. Granulated Garlic(NOT Garlic Salt) and a 1/2 tsp. of dried Italian Seasoning(I make my own, but you can use a decent brand from your kitchen and be fine). Mix all these dry spices and have them ready to season the top of the breads before broiling.

* 2 Cloves Garlic, cut in half(cut clean in half, not slices, etc.)

* 4 TBSP. REAL Salted Butter, Melted

* 1-2 Additional TBSP. unsalted Butter, Softened to room Temp. (For greasing the pan, lightly)

* Good Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil(EVOO)

* Good Quality Modeno Balsamic Vinegar

Instructions;

1. Turn on Broiler
2. Melt 4 TBSP. Butter and brush each slice of bread tops and exposed edges.
3. Place Breads under broiler, at least 8" from flame, and broil until golden browned(inside of bread should still be soft, you're just making a sort of crust, for crunch, and to prevent soggy bread/keep it from compressing flat)
4. After pulling out brown bread, IMMEDIATELY take raw garlic halves and rub the cut portion generously on the browned portion of the bread(it will leach in, nicely, and create a delicious hint of garlic underneath all the rest).
5. Place 2 slices of Mozzarella(or enough to cover bread) on top of each piece of warm bread, after garlic bath.
6. Place 2 slices Roma Tomato on top of cheese
7. Sprinkle with Dry Seasoning mix, described in ingredients.(Just a good dusting, don't overdo it.... You can add more as it comes out, to taste)
8. Drizzle with Balsamic, very lightly(bout 1/4tsp. per slice, maybe 1/2tsp., depending on taste).
9. Drizzle with Olive Oil, slightly more(bout 1tsp. per slice), after vinegar.
10. Sprinkle basic pieces over each piece
11. Rub 1-2 TBSP. room temp. unsalted Butter on the pan, place bread on top......
12. Broil around 8" from flame until tomatoes begin to bake and cheese begins to bubble. Bread should only brown a lil more on the edges, don't burn it(Can't know how powerful/weak your broiler is, so if you're good with yours, you should know how much distance you need from the flame).

Pull them out and GRIND them down with some Tomato Basil Bisque and a small Greek Salad with Kalamata Olives, Tomatoes, Red onions and Greek dressing..... VERY popular side dish/appetizer that I bet you'll love(granting you like the ingredients! lol). Take a bite and then sprinkle a lil more seasoning on there if you desire. I prefer the flavors of these things, including the Olive oil and butter, w/out much additional seasonings... But MANY feel differently! hahaha.

When I say "GOOD" this or that.... it's obviously meaning a 'moderately good' brand name, or better. Some people go this far>>>>

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H454UK/...SIN=B000H454UK

..... And believe me, the customers PAY for it! lol.

Balsamic, reduced to Sec(syrup) is a FANTASTIC topping on strawberry and other fruit desserts, believe it or not! lol... Strawberries and Chevre, drizzled with Balsamic Syrup.... YUM! VERY versatile Vinegar and can be found in many fusions, like I have, "Pomegranate Balsamic", "Strawberry Balsamic", ....and many more that I have... You may also find White Balsamic to be VERY nice on salads, etc. One of my favorite salads is just a Baby Greens Salad with white Balsamic Vinaigrette, Strawberries, Blue Cheese Crumbles and Candied Pecans... SICK-DELISH! lol. Many fusion olive and other oils, too, and I do many myself, including a Black Truffle Olive oil, Roasted Garlic Infused Olive Oil, Rosemary Infused Olive oil,etc., etc., etc. .... Too many to list, and trust me, they DOOOOO make a difference that people can discern, ya know?

Have fun, guys, .... hope some of you have a day off! I wish! hahaha.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-20-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chef, you need a dedicated recipe thread! It's ok to print these recipes out for personal use?

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread