86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Whoa Terry, that's it. I'm gonna be 44 in a little bit here and I'm taking your cue to stay completely disorganized 'cause a girl without hair- at least THIS girl without hair? That will never do.

Chipper as always, Chef. I eventually love Doh! moments because
1) that's how I learn stuff
2) hating life that consistently would plain wear me out.

Leaving the brake fluid as is or changing it out because of how much it likes to suck up water?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
I am 44 and had to start getting more organized so I dont have to keep looking for things. Used to be able to know where everyting was without even thinking.

You push things out of your brain, I push things out of my scalp. Guess I dont have the room for hair roots anymore.
Hahaha.... wow, so I'm not alone? lol. Actually, considering all that's on my plate right now........ s'all good! lol... BUT, yes, it's very frustrating a times...... And yet........ I LAUGH AT MYSELF, every time, because, well, like Hab said, ...... 'hating life that consistently would SUCK!'....OK, not a direct quote, but you get the pic! lol.

Originally Posted by habanero
Whoa Terry, that's it. I'm gonna be 44 in a little bit here and I'm taking your cue to stay completely disorganized 'cause a girl without hair- at least THIS girl without hair? That will never do.

Chipper as always, Chef. I eventually love Doh! moments because
1) that's how I learn stuff
2) hating life that consistently would plain wear me out.

Leaving the brake fluid as is or changing it out because of how much it likes to suck up water?
Far as the brake fluid ....... It should be ok......... but I'll likely do a powerflush and finally put in my Aisin.... It's tough, cuz my brakes work FANTASTIC, ..nothing wrong with them(everything is new aside from the master, hahaha)....... But yes, I WOULD LOVE to avoid ruining the system with moisture, lol. Honestly though? I think it would be fine,.... was only a couple days and it was really nice before I saw/caught that, lol.... and it's garaged in a low humidity climate? I think I'm good.. Still laughed pretty hard at myself though, lol. GOOD TO HEAR FROM YA HERE, HAB!!! Always a pleasure
Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 PM

New Performance Silverstar Headlights installed tonight....

Got pulled over and the guy says, first thing......."NICE TRUCK! Thought I'd just let you know, ........headlights out, driver side. See ya"......... Headed right to o'reilly and luckily found that I had a gift card in my wallet from Christmas and they were on sale for 15.99$........ So, 5.99 later, I have 2 new sealed beams(i know, I know, but I can't justify 109$ for a www.Brighteyes.com set right now lol). They are DEFINITELY, as proclaimed, ''25% brighter", at least. Adjusted them as well, and WOW, I forgot what a PITA that can be with that tight squeeze with the screwdriver, lol. Busted a clip on the upper pass. side tailight bezel......grrrrrr! lol....... Oh well, they're in and s'all good for now!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Chef just stopped in to try and catch up. Cheers.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:39 PM

finally caught up on this beast, some interesting stuff lots of info,

Old 01-24-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dutchbelly
Hey Chef just stopped in to try and catch up. Cheers.
DUTCH! Good to hear from ya, bud Hope you get a good 'chunk'o'time' to knock out some solid progress on your awesome build, SOON! haha. I enjoy watching it

Originally Posted by 88rustbucket
finally caught up on this beast, some interesting stuff lots of info,

Hahaha.. Thanks, man! Yeah, it's been quite a journey, lol. I suppose it'd be less pages if I hadn't run into so many gremlins..... Or, on a good note, had I not run into so many good peeps to shoot the bull with! haha.

Got a bit of interesting stuff in my other 2 threads in my signature, too.... If you're bored and want to watch me pulling out my hair or doing a zuk mod, I'd be honored! lol.... See you round.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Those headlights can be a problem getting out. Sometimes I can do with a screwdriver and other times I just have to pull the whole grill. Just never know how it will go. Never tried the Silverstars. I will look into them the next time I need lights.

Habenaro..I wish we had more women involved in these trucks. The wife likes trail riding and when I get them fixed up, not so much on the before part. When I first joined YT, I followed a girl and her husband doing a 3.0 build. She did most of the work and from start to finish did a great job. I have a 3rd gen also and they are great little trucks, never breaks down.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:41 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hiya.

just trolling and trying to get caught up with erruybudy
Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 AM

Sup Terry, Jerry!

Yeah, not an eventful update, I know, lol.... but hey, NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS, at times, right? Especially in this economical climate! lol.

Terry, I took a pic of the box, I'll post it later. H6054 is the number..... 3 different parts stores I've seen have had them on the shelves.... But none of them carry the "brighteyes" style on the shelf, any longer(at least that I could find)... And as I said, I couldn't wait a few days, nor spend 109$ or more on that kit(WHILE I DO agree it's a great deal, for the casings and bulbs, etc.!).... Some other day, I guess. On the bulbs, it says, "Performance" instead of "Halogen" like most sylvania lights. Anyway, they are DEFINITELY less yellow and also brighter/wider range of light.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM

hey mark figured id check up on ya! ever find a power antenna? angelos got a few more 4runners in last time we talked, maybe hes got a new one? those things sell quick down here! lemme know!
Old 01-26-2012, 04:37 PM

Hey Josh,

Nope, couldn't fine one, even today. I'm going to double check and make sure it's a different part number from 1st to 2nd Gen 4Runners, regarding the antenna's. I think it is, as I said(you thought as well?).... But why not double check, right? Sure, if he has one, intact, everything, entire motor/mast/antenna-to-deck large wire...... That'd be GREAT!

Just to be clear, as I started to think I messed up/messed you up, etc>>>> ; Did the one you took pics of last time even have a motor? I didn't see one. Just wanted to be sure I didn't misread you on that..... Got the impression you were saying, "that was one that was w/out the motor", ....right?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:49 PM

Well, I got relieved today, and guess what I did with my time(3-4 hrs. or so)????

YEP, TYAT'S RIGHT, PICK-YOUR-PART, Wilmington(both of them, actually, about a half mile apart, lol.

I got a couple things....... Just in case someone needs one, I asked my buddy there, "can I grab these? The motors were gone and they were hiding in some trunk"........ 'THESE' being, '2 Injector/Coil Combo's for a 3.0'. I figure I could make up for some of my lost time, and he said, "SURE THANG, they're urs!"..... Hey, someone might need em, right? lol.

Then, while walking around, I felt like I should "Go for it", and grabbed a 2nd or 3rd gen S10 Blazer Roof Rack(RB is right, they say "Rated at 200#", right on the side).... Problem is, ....it's for a 4door, and I NEVER paid attention as to whether it needed to be 2 door or 4. I saw both, and the 2 door one was JACKED UP, so I grabbed the 4 door's rack and then grabbed an extra cross bar off another 4door, same year, that i'd found on the lot(Hell, who am I kidding..... there are DOZENS of those, lol.... But not all have racks. How many 4runners? 3, all 2nd Gen, .......GRRRRRRRR!

So, now I have an S10 Roof rack with 3 bars and no clue what to do with it, ......why? BECAUSE! lol.... NO, seriously, because the part that's supposed to mount in the rear seems to be right up to the overhang of the rear of the shell...... ???? I'ma check with RBX again.... see how that dude did it, fully, lol. Plus, I might have the wrong one having got a 4door model... But don't worry(and don't be mad, either)..... it was nearly free! lol. GREAT shape, too.... Doesn't even need paint. Hard to believe, eh?

I'll post some pics of it and then I'll do a REALLY detailed write up of the install. I think it's a great looking rack(on the sides, the tapered look, etc.), and it's capacity is fantastic, considering it's plasticoated something or another, lol. 200# is plenty, even including my 50# Con-Ferr Rack. lol.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can relate to the over 40 age comments in the above posts as I'm nearing 47 with a full head of hair.

Your rain down south is giving us the Pineapple Express up here in the PNW....warm temps and lots of rain. We need SNOW here!!!! Send the moisture from down south and the cold from up north and life would be real good here in the mountains.

Last edited by rworegon; 01-26-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:56 PM

OK, ..........

Gonna try to get RBX's input, as I said, ........

This is the headlights I put in.... I'd love to have the brighteyes, like I said, but just can't justify 110+$ right now, ya know? These work great, for now, and are definitely brighter than my other ones were.......

Old 01-26-2012, 11:20 PM

those are just an improved sealed beam ya? i need to address this on my truck as well freeway at 4-5am deadly i put my high beams on and no one notices i swear these lights are original lol, i want proper retrofitted hid's eventually, but ima have to settle for something like this or a ge nighthawk in the present future
Old 01-27-2012, 03:01 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Chef,
I'll try to snap some pics when the sun comes up. Just take a hack-saw to the extruded aluminum until you have a 1" clearance (width) from the rear side windows. Then for the longer rails, i gave about 6" clearance from the the front edge of the cab, and i believe about 2" from the rear. The important part is where the bolts go thru the fiberglass cap. The front isn't going to be an issue. The rear has two different thicknesses near the window. Just make sure you have long enough bolts, use some RTV to keep it from leaking, and put a metal sleeve on each bolt to keep the fiberglass from deforming. I also used a piece of aluminum on the inside of the cap at each anchorpoint to disperse load evenly.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:13 AM

The BLAZER rack looks great man shorten it up a bit and bolt it down. Sounds like a sweet price aswell. And I cant beleive you thought your head lights wernt bright, that was the first thing that I noticed the first time I seen your runner was how bright the lights were.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rack looks good. do show how the underside looks if possible thanks
Old 01-27-2012, 09:17 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
updated my thread with information about the rack
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51859595
hope that helps
Old 01-27-2012, 10:07 AM

Thanks, RB! I read that/saw the pics, and I VERY MUCH appreciate you taking the extra time on what you did. Still curious....

1. So you cut the side to side supports and front to back as well, right? Makes sense.... Did you use a sawzawl or hack saw(to be more careful?).

2. Did you drill through, carefully, then squirt RTV down into the threads and up top, under the stock-S10 rubber cushions that it came with?(I got those rubber bushings that go under the plastic pieces, too).

3. I'm still kind of unsure how you mounted it to the rack(your cage)????

I will look back through your pics, but all I have is the Con-Ferr rain gutter mounts, ...and I don't like those for this rig, at all, because 2 go on the front and 2 go on the rear(fiberglass).... So that's out, and obviously, with this rack on, I will need/want to mount the cage to the actual rail..... which leads to question 4......

4. I should ditch the 3rd side to side rail that I threw in there, extra, from the yard, right?

THANKS, so much, and take your time, if you even want to explain further, bud! GREATLY appreciated!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread