86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
To bad about the roof rack. Sure wish they had 50% off sales out here. Glad to see life is starting to get back to normal. Hope all is going well.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:06 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by yota721
thats a nice build up
subscribed
Thanks, Yota721..... Wish I had more, recently, to guide someone through the 'issues' that arise,...... but give it time, lol.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
To bad about the roof rack. Sure wish they had 50% off sales out here. Glad to see life is starting to get back to normal. Hope all is going well.
Yeah, .... but they have them all the time, I'll get one. Yeah, normal, we'll see, lol. I'm hoping for manageable, lol... That'd do for me, for now, ya know?

Happy 2012, Yotatech!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:20 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Chef, i used a S10 blazer rack, load rated at 200lbs, completely modular, so you can cut the extruded aluminum to fit your rig. I like the Xterra racks but couldn't find any at my local PnP.

I think i have something in my thread about the rack install.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by RBX
Chef, i used a S10 blazer rack, load rated at 200lbs, completely modular, so you can cut the extruded aluminum to fit your rig. I like the Xterra racks but couldn't find any at my local PnP.

I think i have something in my thread about the rack install.
Hey RB, ........ I looked for about 20 minutes, back and forth, ....... just saw the rack on there all the sudden and a description of which on/some parts you used(I think).... Anyway, thanks for stoppin in and letting me know, RB, ... appreciated

Xterra racks are in the 'Later Model' lot.... and I'm sure it's not much more to get in there, but they're probably not comparably priced, compared to the basic lot, either. Anyway, I'll think it out. The reason I wanted the 2nd gen 4runner rack/style is cuz the thing doesn't come up off the roof much............ thus, giving me less of a clearance issue. The Con-ferr, with the side mounting system it came with stock, ......well, it's just really close to the garage when it's mounted that way, .......and if I put it on top of the type you have on there, ....wow, I think it would just be hitting the door overhead. Time to measure I suppose lol.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well don't use a rail kind rack new or off another SUV, just u-bolt the basket to top of your 4Runner top... 4 u-bolts wide 1/4 inch steel strips to distribute the load in the inside and lots of sealant and waa laa all done :}

I bet the S-10 blazer one would be better if you still want one, they sell a aftermaket one like the S-10 one on like JC Whitney...Good Luck...
Old 01-06-2012, 11:52 AM

Sup guys!

Well, ..................................... THE NEW PIONEER DECK IS IN, SYNCHED AND I LOVE IT! lol.........

No pics of install, didn't get the camera back til I was done that evening. HOWEVER, ....Ian and some others would be proud, I soldered EVERYTHING, no connectors whatsoever! ........... New deck, installed....

Installed the mic for the bluetooth behind the piller(wire), then under the carpet along with the 8" Dick Cepek Light switch wiring and my CB wiring that I'm planning to put to use( ), wrapped and taped and all tucked nicely!

Some of the wiring(I'll get better pics when I pull the panel off again to do the CB.... Gonna miss that pocket below the deck though.... Might have to install one vertically on the side of the dash(I'm brainstorming, but I'll figure something out, PROMISE! lol)....

I soldered the Pioneers supplied harness to the Pioneer-to-Factory Toyota harness kit that I had from the last Pioneer that I just pulled. Then, I soldered the remaining 4 wires for the rear speakers into the harness kit/completed and ready, and broke into the remote-line to add the aftermarket power antenna that I've had for a while.

PS> I'm looking for a Factory Power Antenna in good shape from a rig at the yard, as soon as I can get down there. I like the factory "UP/DOWN" switch being in control, if you know what I mean? I left the connector there, under the fender, because I want to keep it as factory as possible on the 'amenities' end, ya know?

PSS> If anyone needs a VERY GOOD SOUNDING XM ready Deck(just doesn't have any plug ins like the new ones.... But does have a plug in area in the back for the XM reciever)....... First come first get's, lol. I know, it's not a great one, and it's not new.... But it sounds INCREDIBLY good, and for some, well, it's TOUGH AND TIGHT right now, right? Please, only ask for it if you NEED IT, not to resell for 20$ to pay the gas bill, k? Lol. Jk...... mostly.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 01-06-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks good, I still have the little pocket even with the deck installed. I am getting a CB next, looking to do the small unit that will fit where the ash tray is.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:37 PM

Nice work on the deck install chef looks good
Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 PM

Sweeeeet good job buddy glad to see you getting some time in on the runner. Im a ways off from needing tunes in the 86 or Id hit ya up for your old deck LOL. although thr plan is to be driveing it next month.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:50 PM

Looks great :}
Old 01-06-2012, 09:06 PM

Great job, looks nice. I like the placement of the remote.....
Old 01-06-2012, 10:44 PM

hu looks good. i need to start looking for one myself haha
Old 01-07-2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
looks good, I still have the little pocket even with the deck installed. I am getting a CB next, looking to do the small unit that will fit where the ash tray is.
I have the pocket with the deck installed as well..... just not sure how I'd keep it with a CB... The Ashtray mounting idea is nice, likey! lol.

Originally Posted by baddest94
Nice work on the deck install chef looks good
Thanks, baddest... hope you're well!

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Sweeeeet good job buddy glad to see you getting some time in on the runner. Im a ways off from needing tunes in the 86 or Id hit ya up for your old deck LOL. although thr plan is to be driveing it next month.
Let me know, buddy.... you're the only one who's asked about it... And thanks!

Originally Posted by john4wd
Looks great :}
Appreciate it, man.

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Great job, looks nice. I like the placement of the remote.....
Hahaha.... I just put it there to get it in the shot, lol. I have a spot for it, soon... I have a hanging pocket for the sides of my console... I'll get pics soon... it's a good idea, i like it. lol.

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
hu looks good. i need to start looking for one myself haha
HU? It's really blue, and you can shut off display when you're just letting the MP3/IPOD run on trips, etc. I use my Rumor2 with 16G micro sd... I also have several 8-16G flash drives.... They'll come in handy for the movies/music on trips, too. HOURS of hands free tunes/books/etc., should be fun! lol.

Wanna get the 12V aux waterproof outlet installed and the other one in the cab/front seat area, too(just near the ashtray for the back seats.... in fact, never use that ashtray, might make a lil platform to install that aux unit into, ya know?
Old 01-07-2012, 03:13 PM

Chef, I was just messing with you, the radio is closer than the remote lol. You got to set it up to use outside the truck.

Last edited by RMP8080; 01-07-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Chef, I was just messing with you, the radio is closer than the remote lol. You got to set it up to use outside the truck.
Oh, I hear ya, figured, lol.

I really am happy with this purchase.... What a deal, too!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Chef.. Stereo install lokks great. The up and down button I am guessing is to the antenna. Is that someting you installed or is that a SR5 option?

Soldering will save you so many headaches, you will be glad you did it.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:01 AM

Lookin good Chef!! Soldering is definitly the way to go.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Chef.. Stereo install lokks great. The up and down button I am guessing is to the antenna. Is that someting you installed or is that a SR5 option?

Soldering will save you so many headaches, you will be glad you did it.
Hey Terry, ....

Yeah, the UP/DOWN button that you see there is a stock SR5-Power antenna button. Unlike many cars, the Toyota was activated up and down by a button, but manually. Mine still had power to it, but the innards were blown up, and I couldn't find a 'GOOD' one at the yard nor did I want to spend 130$ at the dealer for a new one... So off to O'Reilly's I went, lol. It's loud and I WANT FACTORY! lol.... But, unfortunately, I can't seem to find one used.(dont' need info on a kit to repair my orig. one.... it's TOTALLY toast/body coming apart in pieces... trust me, it's done. lol) Thanks, Terry.. Hope you're doing well!

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
Lookin good Chef!! Soldering is definitly the way to go.
Hey Zach,

I concur,..........It's DEFINITELY the way to go. And, as you practice, you get much better at it, fast, and more capable in some really odd angles, etc., ya know?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Zach,

I concur,..........It's DEFINITELY the way to go. And, as you practice, you get much better at it, fast, and more capable in some really odd angles, etc., ya know?
I got really good at it after we cut through the wiring harness on the 85 with a hole saw. 4 hrs and somewhere around 50 wires later.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:16 AM

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee~! Cutting through entire EFI harnesses!!!! Can I join in next time?..>>>> NO, not for the reinstall into the next rig,.. just to cut it! lol. JK, ... yeah, wow, that's quite impressive, Zach... I'll be sure to keep you on bookmark at that statement, for the purposes of 'Ask Zach' on wiring a harness in, etc.! lol.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread