86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Chef.. I have been thinking and praying for you. Just havent been on here lately, life has gotten a little busier then I would of liked.

Did get a laugh out of habaneros comment. I can only hope to look that good at her age. Enjoy the time together.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey chef been awhile sorry bout everything going on and hope everything works and turns out good for you and your family
Old 12-10-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 on what baddest94 said :}

Chefs quote:
I PROMISE that I'm very grateful for such a wonderful example as a Mother!

I to am greatful to my mum as well!!!! :}
Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks a lot, guys....

QUESTION; URGENT! lol............

1. My step-sister is in town and has a 96 Camry 2.2L Auto. It has an engine light and it wont flash when I jump TE1 and E1!

2. The Air Bag and what appears to be a "taillight" dummy lights are on as well. (Didn't think they'd have anything to do with a CEL)

3. I'm going to clear the code in the morning, then try to get it to come on as it goes into closed loop. If so, I will repeat what she had going on that made her concerned(it was idling wonky at a stop... BUT, .....she had the AC switch on along with the heat/forgot to turn off the switch, and I think that was the wonky idle. Seems to have gone away at fully warm/idle, but the CEL is still there.

ANYONE???????????????????????????????? hehehe.

Thanks in advance, guys/gals!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:31 PM

will need code. 96? they should have a DLC/OBDII plug. use a scanner
the tail light issue, make sure all the rear tail bulbs are working including the corner parking lights.
airbag light.. usually older cars dont have airbag lights that come on unless its been in an accident.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:00 AM

Hi Chef - thanks for helping me with the seat on your other thread....I just reading the tail end of your thread so I will mention your family in my prayers today. God bless....

in regards to wonky idle; I assume it goes up and down OR has high idle...camry are known to have a bad coolant temp sensor not sendor similar problems to 3vze. Low coolant or not burp correctly could cause wonky idle too.

Another issue relating to idle could also be vacuum leak and other issues too.

good luck.

take care

Last edited by pholife; 12-13-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
96' I was thinking the same that it is OBDII. Is there like a coin thingy to the left of the steering? If so, check behind that for a connector.

My mom has a 95' and my friend's mom has a 96' and I swear I can remember him showing me some "new" connector that the 96' has many years ago.

EDIT: Found this on Wikianswers

"Hidden in plain sight! It's behind the tilt out accessory drawer to the left of the steering wheel column. If you look on the bottom of the steering column there may be a poor picture of the OBD port location.

Tilt the drawer out, push in the clips on both sides of the drawer, tilt the drawer further, then gently pull out. There you will find the OBD port and a bunch of fuses."

Last edited by Grego92; 12-13-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:39 AM

Hey guys, thanks! I just wanted to first update about the step-dad. He's doing a LOT better, especially now that they've sent him HOME! Wow, watching a very proud man weep at the sight of the Christmas lights and walking into his house, away from the shouting/dementia riddled rehab roomies..... Quite a moving sight. Really makes you appreciate the freedom we most have, physically, to do what we wish/when we wish... And it makes me appreciate, as well, that I need to REALLY pay attention to a healthy balance of fitness/food/sleep-rest and FUN! This guy NEVER did any Cardio the entire time I've known him(long as his family can remember, either). He's just always relied on supplements, stood fast on the belief that 'Dr.'s are the devil' and that 'he knew better than them all'......... WELL, ..... he's not alone... I've done some of that, too(ignorance of the obvious)........ But I will NEVER AGAIN ignore the 'obvious', as long as I live. If I can help it.... I will NEVER be in one of those homes. They were good to him, it's top ten in CA.... But SERIOUSLY..... it nearly drove him BAT-CRAP CRAZY!

Please continue to pray/hope for physical strength to return, quickly. He's just so weak, still... and a bit loopy. I know that being back in his home will help, tremendously.... But anything is possible when they shut off your heart/rip open your chest/shut off the lungs for a time/or when we allow our body to suffer a lack of flow to the brain and rest of the body through the aortic valve, due to genetics and, well, as I mentioned, an "I know BETTER THAN THEM!" type mentality. Sad thing is.... They told him this A YEAR AGO.... He was much stronger then and probably could have avoided MUCH of the neuropathy that he's now sustained in his legs from diabetes.

I will be here through the Holidays, and involved thereafter, as I've always been. I'll update ya'all and I just wanted to take a minute, once again, to THANK YOU, ALL, WHO'VE PRAYED OR OTHERWISE WISHES WELLNESS! THANKS!

Far as the Camry,..... I figured out that the Brake Dummy Light is due to the STUPID 3RD BRAKE LIGHT! ... ok, the light isn't stupid, I was a bit, but that's besides the point! lol. Also, got the codes to clear, never come back, by pulling the 15A.....Yeah....(Not sure, we'll see.) Also checked her brakes to be sure she'll get home to Alaska safe. Also.... checked all fluids and found a leaking valve cover... I'm not sure the shape of stuff, internally, but it sure runs strong, and 33mpg on HWY! DANG HER! lol. Also fixed the dome light.... Haven't tried a trick I found on Camry Forums, which should clear the SRS light... but not sure I want to. She should have it checked/make sure it'll work in a wreck, ya know? Did new Cap and Rotor as well..... NOT the most fun angles in there, lol..... makes me appreciate the simplicity access with my 22re! lol.

I'll do the valve cover if she wants.... it's really starting to gush. We'll see, just no time at the moment!

PS> I found both OBD ports right away..... It's just that my code reader doesn't fit, and the adapter is too much, and WOW, I could not get it to flash codes with TE1 and E1 jumped....COULD NOT! So I guess IT IS, indeed, a matter of "Year specific manufacturing specs"? lol.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU ALL, HOMIES/HOMIETTES! LOL.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-18-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:44 AM

Installing a stereo is really easy in 84 to 95 cause toy uses the side brackets mounts to side of factory and aftermarket stereo's to the metal dash brackets and then the dash face slips over the stereo and put on screws on and wala all done and no more using that damn sleeve that comes with after market stereo's.

Biggest part on your runner is wiring if not hacked up like mine was and wala in no time in a few hours and your done, it took me twice as long to do speaker box alone by itself to fit behind seat, but well worth it :} :} :}

Thanks for the great compliments and also Merry X-mas to you and yours :} And a happy and safe New Years :}

Ps. If you lived closer like in my state and even a neighboring county, I would be right over to help you install it, stereo's are fun :}
Old 12-20-2011, 04:56 PM

Just checking in buddy hope all is well.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:51 PM

I'm on side with John. I love the way the stereo brackets are set up for these trucks. Not only does it make the aftermarket sleeves unnecessary but it makes the stereo more difficult for a thief to pop out in 4 seconds. Anyone with stereo install experience likely knows what I mean.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:05 AM

Gotcha on the Stereo stuff. I'm stoked to have a new deck, can't wait to hear it out, but planning on improving the speaker locations, etc., first.(requires some plans and designs to mount them into a sub box in the rear most panel and rear seats area for 6x9's/front for 6.5'' Pioneer 3ways, plus keeping the dash Blaupunkt 4"rs.

PS> I've always installed my own decks.... Well, the last 10 or so, anyhow, lol. Even EQ's back in the day, Sub's, Crossovers and Amps..... But I want to do a really clean job this time. Plus, I've no time right now to mess with any of this. But SOON, SOON I SAY! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-22-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:36 AM

ABNORMAL is a buddy on here who's planning his exhaust out.... From what I take it he's down to deciding on a muffler and outpipe. He's asked me to do some videos, but I STILL don't have my new video camera... GRRRR! I did the best I could, but just ignore any of the farting sound, ...it's just doesn't exist in person... For some reason the camera mic CREATES it's own noises. I'll post up what I have for now..........

Drive by;

Parking lot rev(This is what I meant by farting... "brrrrrrrnnnn"-type resonating sound.... it just isn't there in person... But the throaty part is)....

Driving down the road.... Just can't get enough speed going, but I'll get a freeway video..
Old 12-22-2011, 01:44 PM

Chef, on the first video what's that sound when you put it into reverse? did sound good
Old 12-22-2011, 03:46 PM

Hey RMP, ... was the E-brake..........

PS> Far as the motor/exhaust.........

22RE/Bored .20 over, 261 CAM, Mildly Ported Head and Intake, 1MM Oversized Valves, Eskindarian Double Layer Racing Springs, LCE 4-1 Header, 2.25 To and From CAT to Borla Moderate Muffler, 2.25 out the back and a tapered inward 2.5" Tip.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 PM

Freeway Video for 'Abnormal'.........

Sorry I'm talking, the video is not for exhaust, but you can hear it some just the same, lol....... From a few months ago......

Better example of how the Borla sounds at idle..........

On an insane hill behind my house.........

Old 12-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Chef.. Just checking in. Look to see what you come up with new speaker locations. Hope all is well with the family.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey RMP, ... was the E-brake..........

PS> Far as the motor/exhaust.........

22RE/Bored .20 over, 261 CAM, Mildly Ported Head and Intake, 1MM Oversized Valves, Eskindarian Double Layer Racing Springs, LCE 4-1 Header, 2.25 To and From CAT to Borla Moderate Muffler, 2.25 out the back and a tapered inward 2.5" Tip.

oh, good like i said it don't sound right but that explains it. Your 22RE sounds sweet
Old 12-22-2011, 10:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
your runners sounding pretty good chef!!!
Old 12-23-2011, 10:00 AM

Thanks, guys..... got a shot up on a raised curb, too, just to test something out... It was about 18" or so raised.... But the dirt sank a lil, lol.... Anyway, wth.......

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread