so your are Mr. March 2012?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
happy thanksgiving chef! your the man
Old 11-30-2011, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Just checking in on you, Hope all is well. Still praying and wishing you the best. Dont know about metals so I am no help there.

March 2012?? I have been busy, will find out about whats going on. lol..
Old 12-01-2011, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe check out the new addicted offroad sliders that are on sale
Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 PM

Hey chef, im sure youve already made a decision by now but i thought id throw in my 2 cents anyway

I love my 4xInnovations sliders. They went on great, and come with the frame plates and gussets. Adam at 4xI is great to deal with, he answered all my questions quickly, and very kindly on the phone. Ive never ordered anything from marlin, but im sure they are good people as well, but customer service is a big thing with me.

As for the actual product, i give it a 10 out of 10. The length and contruction are both perfect. I am very pleased with them, and the kickout on the end is great.

Also, not trying to start a debate, but in my opinion, the DOM vs HREW argument is more than less just which you prefer. DOM isnt truly a type of tubing, it is merely a process applied to the tube. It still starts out as electrically welded tubing, usually cold drawn, then when it is done, it is cold drawn through a die and over a mandrel, simply giving it more exact dimensions, and a better surface finish.

Maybe thats 3 cents Just figured id chime in, hope you find something!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:45 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RMP8080
so your are Mr. March 2012?
Hahahaa.... Hilarious! I guess so, .... but I'm just most grateful for this site, PERIOD, ya know? I never would have bothered past the 255K motor that was put in her in 87, were it not for the Yotatech Brotherhood! lol.

Originally Posted by jessamiah
happy thanksgiving chef! your the man
Hey Jess! NO, YOU DA MAN! lol. Thanks, hope yours went well.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Just checking in on you, Hope all is well. Still praying and wishing you the best. Dont know about metals so I am no help there.

March 2012?? I have been busy, will find out about whats going on. lol..
Hey man, ...thanks! Sorry it's been so long.... VERY overwhelmed lately... BUT NOT OVERCOME!

Originally Posted by SCToy
Maybe check out the new addicted offroad sliders that are on sale
Originally Posted by Ether
Hey chef, im sure youve already made a decision by now but i thought id throw in my 2 cents anyway

I love my 4xInnovations sliders. They went on great, and come with the frame plates and gussets. Adam at 4xI is great to deal with, he answered all my questions quickly, and very kindly on the phone. Ive never ordered anything from marlin, but im sure they are good people as well, but customer service is a big thing with me.

As for the actual product, i give it a 10 out of 10. The length and contruction are both perfect. I am very pleased with them, and the kickout on the end is great.

Also, not trying to start a debate, but in my opinion, the DOM vs HREW argument is more than less just which you prefer. DOM isnt truly a type of tubing, it is merely a process applied to the tube. It still starts out as electrically welded tubing, usually cold drawn, then when it is done, it is cold drawn through a die and over a mandrel, simply giving it more exact dimensions, and a better surface finish.

Maybe thats 3 cents Just figured id chime in, hope you find something!
Thanks very much, Ether! I deeply appreciate this sharing of your time/input! Exactly what I mean by "Gotta love Yotatech!" lol. This will be added to my pile of "gotta make a decision"-Plan, lol... But NO, I have not made a decision just yet. Got even more to consider now, via PM, etc., from a couple creators/vendors. No pushiness, .... just sharing they're input, like you've done.

Hey Guys, ... just letting you know, Ervin is 'that' much closer to getting home. He's doing pretty well, physically, but through the always forming catch-22's that come later in life.... He's recovering slowly in a secondary facility(Rehab/Nursing Facility where they do LOTS of Physical therapy and preparation for 'going home'.)

His heart seems to be doing great, blood pressure and heart rate stable, ....even when exerting himself(unlike before). He's walking further than he was even 6mo. before his surgery. VERY good news. Only problem... his lateral movement sux and his stability is a bit mushy at the moment... But that's why he's where he is, right?

Thanks again for all the input, prayer, thoughts, etc. !

PSS> The Deck came in the mail. I will get pics up asap and try to do a decent write up on how to install a deck.(I know, there's probably plenty of threads on that, ...but why not, right? Makes me feel useful and I've not been on here for quite a while lol)
Old 12-06-2011, 03:36 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Hey Mark, been away from the computer for about a week's worth of work and life etc etc etc.

hope things are going well.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey Mark...Grego here remember me? craigslist-torrance guy.

While searching for your machinist, because mine sucked! and I want to have my crank looked at and grounded/polished (whatevers needed), I came across your mentioning of Vellios! in Lawndale.

It seems you had some problems also with them! (haven't read enough of your thread to know what happened). I took my head there because I had a couple of stripped camshaft cap holes. Well I had them helicoil them and the M-Fr's ended up tapping the "pins" that help guide/set the cam caps in place. Well, that was enough to make the caps no longer fit over them. Dumbass me tightened up the bolts anyhow to "make" the caps go over the pins and the camshaft would barely spin by hand. Long story short, after taking the camshaft out again and after a few hours I was able to pull the pins that were now pulled from the head and stuck in the caps . I have a couple oem pins being delivered tomorrow to replace those screwed up ones.

Soooooo....I'm looking for a machinist to check my crank because I'm not taking my stuff back there again. They did do what looks like a good job on my flywheel though, but I remember reminding them there was a step on there to be mindful of.

I'd be grateful if you have a recommendation for a new machinist in our area that you trust to take my crankshaft to and will also press the new bearing in. Otherwise I will go to Perfect Engine in Los Angeles who did my head and also my heads on my 2vz-fe camry. I just don't like driving into L.A.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:00 AM

Hey Grego, ...NO PROBLEM, ..... (I'm speaking of your inquiry for info, ..... not "Vellios is no problem", hehehe... HACKS!)

Japanese Auto Center is the shop that I trust/use with the UTMOST confidence, and I have no problem recommending them to you or anyone else in the South Bay/Los Angeles Area. The mechanics side is VERY fair, never "FINDS" things that aren't there, if you know what I mean, and the Machinist, Next door, Phil, is FANTASTIC!(Interesting dude, to say the least--You'll see what I mean-- But very fair and VERY good at what he does. You have to stay on him, ...he get's overloaded, but he'll do it for ya, RIGHT, and he WILL tell you if a crank is good or not through the best crank inspection place in L.A.--Which is whom he uses). He could do the cranks himself, but he uses them because that's all they do and they're the best! They did my crank 10/10 and did a fantastic job at it to boot!

http://www.japaneseautocenter.com/
Old 12-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Appreciate it! that's even closer to me now. I'm in gardena now, up western about 2 miles from there. I like them already...I asked "who should I ask for?", he said "Phil, but f you ask for "Dickhead" they'll find him quicker!"
Old 12-07-2011, 09:29 AM

Hey everyone,

My Stepdad is doing much better, and he will be coming home some time in the next week. He's NOT physically ready, but the catch 22 is that he will get the same amount of physical therapy at home as in the hospital..... It's just that, on the other end of the catch 22, he will have to have 24hr. care. I've handled his and my mothers needs, most all of them, for the last 8 years.... Since his stroke in 2003 and my mothers, thereafter, 2007. They both did great in recovery afterward, but as he's aged and developed this heart issue(and had open heart surgery).... he's gotten weaker, and everything is taking MUCH longer to accomplish, as anyone would figure.

Please, keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers, as it seems that his family is circling and really putting my mother through some incredible stress. I don't feel comfortable, nor ethical, saying anything beyond that within this forum... But trust me, it's UNBELIEVABLY SERIOUS and outrageous!

Thanks, and I wish the best for all of you.... I know, it's the internet, but I've developed some great friends, tangible ones even, over the last couple years!

Mark

PS> Grego,..... HE'S HILARIOUS, loud, scary at times and his favorite line when you ask him, "how you doing?" is, "Short/Fat and Ugly, how the hell you think I'm doing?", hahaha. However rambunctious, he's a GOOD GUY and very helpful/knowledgeable. Please let him know I sent ya, ok? (He'll say, "I'm gonna kill him!" hahaha).

Mark
Old 12-07-2011, 12:03 PM

Phil said "hello".....I told him you were still working on your truck!, wanted to see his reaction....he said, "still???!!!! I told him to come by if he needed help!"

Definitely a character, but you can tell he knows his stuff. Left my crank with him and my nachi bearing that came with the clutch kit, he said I would likely be 10 under on the rods and remain standard on the mains. When I went to the main office and asked for the machine shop, two of them looked up and said, "oh, lucky you....he's over there"....and then, "dickhead! someone's coming to see you!"

Mark, after reading your last post I went back read some of your posts, my thoughts are with you and pray everything works out well and you get through these trying times, take care and thanks again.

Last edited by Grego92; 12-07-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey everyone,

My Stepdad is doing much better, and he will be coming home some time in the next week. He's NOT physically ready, but the catch 22 is that he will get the same amount of physical therapy at home as in the hospital..... It's just that, on the other end of the catch 22, he will have to have 24hr. care. I've handled his and my mothers needs, most all of them, for the last 8 years.... Since his stroke in 2003 and my mothers, thereafter, 2007. They both did great in recovery afterward, but as he's aged and developed this heart issue(and had open heart surgery).... he's gotten weaker, and everything is taking MUCH longer to accomplish, as anyone would figure.

Please, keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers, as it seems that his family is circling and really putting my mother through some incredible stress. I don't feel comfortable, nor ethical, saying anything beyond that within this forum... But trust me, it's UNBELIEVABLY SERIOUS and outrageous!

Thanks, and I wish the best for all of you.... I know, it's the internet, but I've developed some great friends, tangible ones even, over the last couple years!

Mark

PS> Grego,..... HE'S HILARIOUS, loud, scary at times and his favorite line when you ask him, "how you doing?" is, "Short/Fat and Ugly, how the hell you think I'm doing?", hahaha. However rambunctious, he's a GOOD GUY and very helpful/knowledgeable. Please let him know I sent ya, ok? (He'll say, "I'm gonna kill him!" hahaha).

Mark

Glad to hear the good news, make sure they supply a pretty nurses to care for him, you know keep that heart pumping...also tell them hi from the east coast
Old 12-07-2011, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey chef, just checking in to say hi. been reading up on your long long long thread now lol. hope all is well!
Old 12-07-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

Mark
you got it man.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:32 AM

Thanks alot, Guys! It means a lot right now, especially considering it appears to be possibly effecting my mom's health as well(Lots of stress coming certain people within Ervins family who have hardly been in his life for 10 years.... even though they're just a couple miles away.... I would elaborate, but I don't think it would be wise, especially outside of a private message, ya know?).

Grego, .... Tell him when you see him that I've just been WAY too overwhelmed to even visit my own father in AZ, let alone stop by,.... but, and be sure to mention, ..."He said 'He misses hanging out with ya!' " hehehehe. We had a great time chatting and working the 'powers of deduction' over the ole girl, my rig, 'Roja', lol. Also, let him know that it's running like a STUCK PIG, FLEEING FROM A CHEETAH! lol. Running great, seriously, ...... I'm just working on more 'restoration' portions of the project, like seats, deck, etc., ya know? I would have QUICKLY ran back for his help if I had any issues..... One of maybe 2 guys I've met since the first machinist that I'd trust at this point... And I'm GRATEFUL for Phil's help/expertise!

Talk to you all soon, hopefully I wont be stressed into a health problem myself! lol.

PS> Here's me and Mom on my Behnihana Bday dinner, just the two of us.... It was so short notice, no one else could come, especially being at 4:30pm, lol. S'ALL good, as she's my HERO! ..................

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-08-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:26 PM

^^^very nice
Old 12-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Y'all look similar 'cept she's lots prettier.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chef,
You both deserved the quiet time together without the craziness given everything that's going on. I agree with Hab, definitely you are your mothers son.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
^^^very nice
Thanks, bud!

Originally Posted by habanero
Y'all look similar 'cept she's lots prettier.
Hahahaha.... I TOTALLY agree! lol. She's looking pretty good for nearly 80, eh?????? Btw, .... especially looking good considering all the drama and trauma going on around her, lately! I can only hope I age so well! hahaha.

Originally Posted by rworegon
Chef,
You both deserved the quiet time together without the craziness given everything that's going on. I agree with Hab, definitely you are your mothers son.
Thanks! Yeah, I sure am... She's the kindest person I've ever met... And nearly everyone who's ever met her/known her agrees! MANY guys/gals growing up that I knew would call her mom, .....and she almost literally adopted many of my friends who'd grew up, well, let's just say 'in rough families', ya know?

Please, anyone who does, pray for her health, ...she could use it and most CERTAINLY deserves it, if anyone I know does, yep! lol.

PS> I'm sorry for any of you who've already lost your Mum's.... Or maybe never had a relationship with them... I PROMISE that I'm very grateful for such a wonderful example as a Mother!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread