86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have a great thanksgiving
Old 11-24-2011, 04:04 PM

thats great your father is doing well mark, happy thanksgiving to you as well, i still have yet to do my front end rebuild, just waiting on my cvs now!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:54 PM

so.. mr famous guy. is that the update? :p
Old 11-25-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
been hiding due to a virus. its all fixed now. hope all is well. and happy turkey day
Oh man, .... STUPID PUTER-POOP! lol. My last big virus destroyed my OS on my last computer... I was out a few days as well, haha. Thanks, man!

Originally Posted by RMP8080
yes thanks Chef have a save one
Appreciated!

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Mark...Sounds like he has enough fire in him to get him through this illness ok, so that seems to be a good thing. Being in the hopspital that length of time would get rough. It does make it that much harder for the family though.

Have a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving.
Originally Posted by mightymouse
happy thanksgiving to you and yours Chef. Take care and keep smiling.
<<< Smiling, as ordered! lol. Hope you had a good one!

Originally Posted by nvtoyota
have a great thanksgiving
Did so, and hope you did as well!

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
thats great your father is doing well mark, happy thanksgiving to you as well, i still have yet to do my front end rebuild, just waiting on my cvs now!
Thanks, yeah... It's slow, but HOPEFULLY coming along well with him(I'll expound down below, lol). Best wishes with the projects!

Originally Posted by blakefogt
so.. mr famous guy. is that the update? :p
Hahaha... Had no idea what you were talking about til I searched "New threads", lol. NO, it's not the update, lol....... I'm still waiting for the big brown truck so I can say, .... And then, really, not actually 'parts' in the traditional sense. lol

Actually, I got a one time offer through a seller that I frequent on a Deck.... Newest Pioneer BT Model with HD and Built in Satellite Radio, 65% off for just over 100$! WOOT, lol.

Stepdad is doing "OK",.... but physical recovery is slow, which is normal in part, but compounded in the 'negative' because of his severe diabetic neuropathy of the legs(80% Nerve Damage)... This makes his legs pretty much useless...(Just compare it to when you wake up with your arm asleep.... Now imagine that in your leg...BOTH OF THEM, ...and then trying to walk on them. It's VERY difficult because of the numbness.... Hard to walk on what you can't feel. They're sending a neurologist, hopefully by Monday, to begin to add that to his therapy. Which brings me to the update.... 2 days ago, they moved him down to TCU(Transitional Care Unit), because they were able to remove the drain tube in his chest and everything else but the IV.... So the heart and such is looking good.... Plus, no infection thus far, inside or out. But, as I said, the "Physical recovery" portion, ie; Walking, Gaining strength again, getting a good sleeping/awake schedule, is taking longer than they'd expected, due to his other preexisting conditions.

THANKS AGAIN, GUYS, FOR ALL THE WELL WISHIN/PRAYER, AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING WEEKEND TO YOU ALL! Yotatech rocks! lol.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:29 PM

Curious on something.....

Whatcha all think of these? And, forgive my ignorance, ...but I've no clue as to what size I need, .....(3 different sizes there, from 58-78"???? ) lol. >>>>>>

http://www.marlincrawler.com/armor/side/rock-slider

I will update the Deck when it gets here... Maybe to an install post with pics, etc. (It has a BTooth mic, Remote, etc.)
Old 11-25-2011, 05:28 PM

Chef, to give you a idea this is my 58 inches on a 87 standard cab 6 foot bed pickup.

hope this helps..................
Old 11-26-2011, 12:45 PM

hey man just checkin in on you, sounds like things are as good as can be exspected hope all continue to get better. I would love to pic up a new head unit for the 97 but its gonna be awhile. cant wait to se what you picked up I know youve been looking for awhile.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Whatcha all think of these? And, forgive my ignorance, ...but I've no clue as to what size I need, .....(3 different sizes there, from 58-78"???? ) lol. >>>>>>

http://www.marlincrawler.com/armor/side/rock-slider

I will update the Deck when it gets here... Maybe to an install post with pics, etc. (It has a BTooth mic, Remote, etc.)
WHAT!! now im not sure if i wanna go with 4x with the kick-out which i really want but being able to pick these up locally would be better. i might have to stop by and see if they can custom mine and have the edges rounded like 4x sliders are. also have some kickouts added!!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
get the 4xInnovations

1. They come with a kickout
2. Shipped with gusset kit
3. They support this site
4. I need a referral before I order my bumper, use 4X2290

So I can order a rear bumper sooner!

5. they are awesome
Old 11-26-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Outsane
get the 4xInnovations

1. They come with a kickout
2. Shipped with gusset kit
3. They support this site
4. I need a referral before I order my bumper, use 4X2290

So I can order a rear bumper sooner!

5. they are awesome
marlin has gusset kit and frame plates. no shipping if i go pick it up. idk. will see. im gonna do the arb bumper 1st before sliders
Old 11-27-2011, 08:49 AM

Uh oh, .... look what I started! hahaha.

I just had heard that the Marlin Tubing is the harder stuff, ...no? I know the 4xInnovations are cheaper... and then I saw the new Marlin sliders are 4-Support, and wonder if that's that much different/better. I didn't know Marlin didn't do the kick out thingymadoer, ...hmmm. And YES, the free shipping thing with the turtle step plate thing kinda sucked me in a lil bit, lol.

Looks like my "new addition" will be, at the earliest, next week, regarding, "when I will get delivery".

PS> Thanks, Jason, .... Yeah, it's a bit hectic still, ....but I'll survive. Just a bit tired!

Not sure what I'm gonna do for my BDay, Monday, .... Really wanted to do something cool with the family, ...but we're all so overwhelmed with everything going on.... it might not happen. Oh well, ...s'all good.... Maybe I'll just hit the Angeles Crest for the day or something, ya know? Get some wheeling in.

PSS> I got a set of decent quality Lug nuts for alum rims with a lock/key lug at Big Lots for 12$!!!!! Now I can slap on the 32's and not worry so much when I go off for a hike! hahaha.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:02 AM

Hey chef, I gotta admit I got the email from Marlin and saw the new sliders, they're pretty cool, but regardless of all the internet hype they use HREW tubing because it's cheaper than DOM. Not because it's harder, or stronger or any other nonsense.

Stick some DOM in a manual bender and then stick some HREW in the same bender and you can physically feel how much easier the HREW is to bend.

Honestly will the difference ever matter? No, because sliders are generally way over-built and it would be incredibly hard to beat them into a yielding point, you'd probably break your back from the truck landing so hard first.

So, what does this mean? Pick the ones you'll be happy with because in the end that's all that really matters!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by SCToy
Hey chef, I gotta admit I got the email from Marlin and saw the new sliders, they're pretty cool, but regardless of all the internet hype they use HREW tubing because it's cheaper than DOM. Not because it's harder, or stronger or any other nonsense.

Stick some DOM in a manual bender and then stick some HREW in the same bender and you can physically feel how much easier the HREW is to bend.

Honestly will the difference ever matter? No, because sliders are generally way over-built and it would be incredibly hard to beat them into a yielding point, you'd probably break your back from the truck landing so hard first.

So, what does this mean? Pick the ones you'll be happy with because in the end that's all that really matters!
COOL! That solves it, thanks! lol. Seirously.... and I wanna insert a couple steps on the 4xinnovations ones though. Maybe they'd do it for me? (maybe just the rear two, including the kick out/which I DO want)........ And then I'll paint them hot pink, as planned.............

Hmmmmmmmmm, Ok, so now to figure out what I want to have cut out on the step. I was thinking 'Yotatech' or 'Toyota'
Old 11-27-2011, 09:33 AM

heres a read on the material they use. i was gonna go with HREW 4x sliders anyways

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60158.0
Old 11-27-2011, 11:07 AM

Chef as far as the steps go, I have no idea, but it doesn't hurt to ask. You can make your own quite easily and just get someone to weld them on.

All you need is a sharpie, some cardboard, a piece of 1/8th inch metal and a 4 1/2inch grinder with a cuttoff wheel and a flapper.

Some 1/8th in the kickout would add a lot of spread strength.

Last edited by SCToy; 11-27-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:11 AM

Don't want to turn chef's build into a metal debate, I don't know what trail-gear uses for their tubing (obviously that is the steel marlin is using in those tests). I'd be much more intersted in bend tests across the joint, shear tests and tensile strength tests done by an independent source.

As a process and a material HREW is inferior, it has a heat affected zone around the weld joint.

Like I said, for sliders its really not gunna matter. Honestly I would bet you anything that on both the production speed MIG welds would fail before the steel.

However, personally, I would not climb into a race truck with a cage built of HREW. Just my opinion.

Last edited by SCToy; 11-27-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by SCToy
Don't want to turn chef's build into a metal debate, I don't know what trail-gear uses for their tubing (obviously that is the steel marlin is using in those tests). I'd be much more intersted in bend tests across the joint, shear tests and tensile strength tests done by an independent source.

As a process and a material HREW is inferior, it has a heat affected zone around the weld joint.

Like I said, for sliders its really not gunna matter. Honestly I would bet you anything that on both the production speed MIG welds would fail before the steel.

However, personally I would not climb into a race truck with a cage built of HREW. Just my opinion.
thanks for the info. didnt know they were using TG DOM for a compassion. i have seen a ton of people buy TG sliders due to price and yet have seen any complaints. so if Marlins HREW is better according to their test. marlin shouldnt be a problem.
do you know which companys use quality DOM for sliders?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:27 AM

I have no idea, I will build my own sliders when the time comes.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:32 AM

I want to see what you go with Chef,
I'm still on the shelf what I want to do, I did get ahold of the guy I got the ARB from with that decked out Taco he has with custom rear tube bumper and rock sliders, no pics though, doesn't have internet and my phone can't get pics yet till I change my phone contract, his was built and installed by a local guy in Toledo Ohio when he lived there early last year, the guy lives 290 miles away from me, but I don't want to spend a whole week there getting them custom built and installed, so I'll end up just getting aftermarket and welded on locally :}
Old 11-27-2011, 01:04 PM

Yeah, thanks, SC, ... appreciate all the good info! (How's it going john4wd... Good to see you're always in motion with her! lol)

I had planned on going with 4xinnovations.com all along....... Just, as I said, got 'lured' in by that add and the turtle step, etc., lol. I insist on having the kick out, however, and I KNOW that would help with the loading/unloading of the Con-Ferr rack once I get a spare shell and mount it up there. (I want the rack mounted to the shell, but might want to have the ability of using it when the top is OFF, ...so have to think that out still, as I don't have/can't afford a set up like RBX has-WHICH IS SUWEEEET! lol) Either way, .....I'm pretty sure I don't want to use it the way it's intended, with the 2 rail mounts on the metal in front and the 2 on the rear.... It's too forward/blocks the moonroof, etc.(which I DO, in fact, use, very much). I MIGHT be mounting a set of rack rails off a second gen, just to get it elevated a lil bit, then I'd be able to pull it fairly easily/lock it on there, etc.(not that it would be as theft-proof as mounting it right into the roof with box-tubing perma-mounted to the top, etc., ya know?)

The sliders will be very useful in the sierras, ....there's been a few instances where I've turned back or had to hunt hard for alternate routes due to, well, 'ROCKS' AND 'LOGS', etc., etc., lol. Locked in the rear now, I could slide over some obstacles that have held me back in the past. So, I plan to use them not only for a step, hahaha.

STUPID SHIPPING! lol.... My deck STILL hasn't shown up on the UPS tracking update.... The label was created 4 days ago... But I KNOW, ....it'll get here, sooner or later, lol. Just excited to have more versatile tunes and a fixed mic Bluetooth set up that runs through the speakers, etc., ya know? Plenty to plug in with my Movies while camping and USB-otherwise-needs, Aux. plug in as well... so that'll be really cool. (PS> IT'S NOT satellite equipped, ......rather, it IS just ready. That's ok, ... I have a portable unit my brother will give me, ..so it's all good if I ever decide to add YET ANOTHER cost per month! lol.

Take care guys, ....and just a lil update on the Stepdad....

* He's improving every day, just slowly. VERY slowly, actually.... but within a week, he's actually walking a lil better on his own(barely), where he could barely stand just after surgery/couple days following, ya know?

Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers on that..... it's been tough on Mum, too!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread