86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Your quick to help and someone who has been the wringer on some of the problems that come up. Your one of the people on here that makes Yotatech such a great site.

I remember your engine rebuild and some of the problems that came with it and now 1986toyota is having problems. It is just nice to know someone else has been there.

Keep up the great work and thread.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chef, I don't check in as often as I'd like, just wondering on the whole seat issue: What is it you don't like about the Sr5 seats? I've always found them to be crazy comfy, because of the ability to adjust both the lumbar and the "side pinchers".

Just my 2 cents on:
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
So, not sure why so many hit this thread up, but they're welcome and I hope it helps in someway, somewhere.
In my humble opinion you are exactly what this site is all about. A regular guy that just plain loves his toyota truck enough to pick up a wrench and a few manuals because he'd rather learn how to build his favourite truck than buy it. Even the smallest mod to a truck can be overwhelming to the inexperienced yotafan, but your thread is chock full of one thing: If he can do it, I can do it, and everyone will help out along the way. That to me is what makes the great Hive-Mind of Yotatech great.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Terry, Dutch, .....

THAT'S what it's all about, in large part, for me! hehe. Thanks, ....and yeah, I HATE having to fork over the precious cabbage for something I could do myself. There really isn't ANYTHING that I wouldn't AT LEAST try, ya know? lol. I'd have done a lot more already, but time and that very cabbage patch have been something I have to be selective with, ya know? hahaha.

BOTH of you, and Brandon, Jerry(AND JOE!), Thook, Andy, Hillbilly, RMA, RBX, JasonTN, Toyo, Corax, AxlIke, Maltese, Space, Jason, Logan, Vitale, Habanero, and EQUALLY as importantly- MANY more have been an inspiration/vitamin "PRESS ON"/idea factory that have made me WANT to MAKE the time/find the money, when I can! lol

Dutch,..... It's GOT to be, as I mentioned a lil bit about a few posts back, largely due to my soft tissue injuries. My Whole upper back/shoulder blade areas are really sensitive(nerve wise) I guess, to any type of seam, etc. HOWEVER, ..... I've noticed that while the bolster portion is ok,.... once again, the top portion of the bolster is digging into my scapula/ribs as well. Aside from my issues with infirmity and aging into "ooooh, ahhhh" painville, hahaha.... I also have to repeat..... my back is REALLY wide. I stood behind a fairly wide back/shouldered buddy of mine who had the same question(he's trying to help me find a SOLUTION)..... And he reached back and said, "Holy Crapula(ok, he didn't, but I like to throw that in when I can! lol), .... Your shoulder width is like 4" more. I wouldn't guess that by just looking".... Which is probably because the 'MIDDLE' of me is a bit wider than I'd like at this time, as well! hahaha. 54" Chest measurements means that my lats/shoulder blades are OUT THERE, lol... Another way to look at it is that my shoulder blades(Scapula) are further away from my spine than most people. Most peoples scapula ride inside of the upper portion of the seat(where it's like a ridge, ya know?).... Well, mine, instead, are RIGHT ON the edge of the seat, which often(like in the Camry seats) has a noticeable portion of frame in there that just DIGS into my scapula. Even though my left scapula is the one that was fractured... the right still is effected equally, it seems.

Also, in 92, I broke my back and herniated 4 Discs. Amazingly, I've 'HEALED' from that, fairly well, but the nerve damage that was done remains... Anyone who knows about herniated discs(mine are herniated INWARD, toward my spinal chord, which causes yet another obvious problem.... CUTTING INTO my nerve system/pressure on it).... anyone who knows about that pain/those issues thereafter knows that those issues by the disc 'radiate' outward into other areas. Mine actually radiate all the way around to in between my ribs(inter-costal nerves/main nerves that run between the ribs).. The latter feels like, well, you know when you have a cramp in your calf? Since 92, on occasion, I deal with that same level of pain/tension in the inter-costal muscle that runs beneath the floating ribs.(Yep, and just like with your calves, ... I jump up and down in the air with my hands above my head, "ouch, ooooh, ooooh", until it subsides!) hahahaha.

OK, sorry bout that, ..... I just wanted to be MORE clear that, .... well, MOST people are probably not going to have the same issues that I do/have. I NEVER had a problem with these seats before the last several months. Suddenly, ... OUCH! lol. I tried the tC seats, .... which are VERY comfy to most, I'm sure, ... AND NOPE! Not for me, lol. The odd thing about the tC seats is that they MOSTLY bother me, aside from the bolsters, in the middle back area, where that seam that runs across goes. I think it's the DIFFERENT LEVELS of foam , ....you know, like a lil valley? The valley and the actual seam seem to dig into my back.

SO, long and short..... MOST of EVERYTHING I'm liking/disliking/dealing with on the 'SEATS' angle? .....YEAH, it doesn't apply to 95% of the rest of ya, I'm sure, hahahaha.

I'm hoping and wishing again that I can get out there, today, and install the hinge. I don't want the door falling off...... Or to give JasonTN the jitters any more(which probably happens every time he thinks about me opening/closing my door! hahahaha).

I also need to install the wiring junction and new 80A fusible link portion where I'll be adding a 4G wire, as well as another 4G wire off the same post that will feed my add-in-junction box(nothing super fancy like Ian did.... But it'll serve it's purpose, lol).

We'll see.....

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-04-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:56 AM

Yes jitters definitely jk. Hope ya get a chance to get at it, hope all is good with you and yours.

P.s must be something with the name Kayla, your daughter reminds me of my Kayla.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:44 PM

Hey Jason, ... hahaha... I hear ya... and yep, Kayla and Kayla have a lot in common, from what you've told me! lol.

Alright guys, .... got the hinge in, but heading to do a Birthday Gig..... Be back later and will post up some video and a couple pics. WOW, PITA in parts, lol. ESPECIALLY with power doors...

Be back later.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:20 PM

amen, brother
Old 11-06-2011, 01:13 PM

87 4Runner Door Hinge Replacement(not just the Pins)

I've been dealing with door sag, as many of you might be right now. First of all, I appreciate all of your ideas thus far, ON EVERYTHING, ...but in particular, I appreciate the input some you interjected upon this issue. Unfortunately, I couldn't simply remove the inner fender and undo the bolts(And even if I did, it would have been SO RIDICULOUSLY difficult, for me at least, to get them back in without removing the door. SOOOOOO, that's what I did(in part... I'll explain later).

First, you'll need a few tools. This is IF you're removing a 'POWER WINDOW AND DOOR LOCK VERSION'.......

1. Phillips Screwdriver(to remove the doors inner Grab-Handle for pulling the door shut, in order to get the panel off)

2. 12MM Open Closed End Wrenches( To remove the hinges. I used both a ratcheting open/closed end and a solid open/closed end. One to get it started/solid and one to make it easy to finish removing them from the door/body.)

3. Scribe or fine tip Permanent Marker/or Felt Point Pen if you don't want to leave any markings.... I didn't care, lol. (To make 'marker' lines for accurate replacement of hinge that you've repaired the hinge pin in OR, like in my case, are replacing the hinge all together).

4. Hammer(to tap on the 12MM open/closed end when breaking the bolts free from the door)

5. Bungie Chord/or ratcheting strap( for holding the door up on an Electric door, when you don't want to remove the entire door). I used mine to hold up the door once I unbolted the hinges from the door side. It was just too diffucult to remove the door lock portion of the electrical harness w/out damaging the fasteners that hold the wire in place across the inside of the door/Video SHOULD show that a lil bit.

6. Flashlight(for making SURE that you have it lined up fairly well as you go to re-tighten the door in increments.)

If you're going to remove the inner fender/skirt and try to get to the hinge to body bolts that way, you'll need all of the above anddddd;

1. 10MM Sockets and 1/4" or 3/8" drive socket wrench( To remove the skirt.... I prefer using the bolt portion if it's Phillips/Bolt, as the phillips can strip on more rusty/fubar'd rigs)

This is the stuff I used to get the fender skirt out(partially, enough to get in there) before I realized that it's just not enough room for my hands.... ESPECIALLY wouldn't be enough room to try and get the hinge back in that way, not for me... WAY too precarious.....

Looking at the hinge from inside the fender skirt angle.... It took forever just to get the open/closed end 12mm on there, then to try and loosen that tight sucker? Nah...... And could NOT EVEN get a socket on there, way too tight a fit....

Pic of the lower hinge from inside the fender skirt.... Much easier to get even a socket on, I think... but I just tapped on a 12mm open/closed end with a hammer from the interior side....

Removed the door panel after removing the door grab-handle and door release lever retainer, then popping out the fixed clips.....(you also have to remove the connectors to the door lock/window lever cluster and door warning/marker light, to fully remove the panel...

Helps to get more play(to get the door AWAY from the hinges), if you disconnect the two connectors in this pic... (electric mirror and window motor connectors)... The door lock connector wire is fixed along the inside of the door in like 4 places... I just didn't wanna mess with those, so the door stayed connected by the wires, but I pushed out the grommet from the inside and it gave me plenty of play, ....all in the pics......

This picture is with the 'replacement' door hinge installed. But as you can see, ...its' VERY tight to the body-to-hinge bolts. BUT, it's very easy to get them out by just placing a closed end 12mm angled wrench on each of them, then slowly tap on it with a hammer(regular framing hammer is heavy enough) and break up the rust/crap on those bolts, and they SHOULD start to loosen. Once they loosen enough, I slap the ratcheting 12mm on there and ratchet each one out in around 20 seconds. (IMPORTANT that the door is being supported by the bungie and even better, from the bottom as well, at this point).......... Donor door hinge from Pick-Your-Part, installed.....

This is an OKAYYYYY video of what I did, lol. Lil all over the place, but it was getting dark fast and I was going to be late for a gig I had to do, 20 minutes away and a shower/change of clothes still left to go! hahahaha.

My fairly bad but probably useful in some way video>> .hahaha>>>>

Old 11-06-2011, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I totally understand your problem with seats and there different foam density, tighter together air bubles make them hard to the wider air bubbles in the softer foam, I drive a semi and the truck makes have different seats, I have also a bad back, not as extreme as yours but discomfort with wrong seat, I've driven them all and KW have the best wide cumfy soft cloth air ride seats while the cheaper FL have the worst hard small seats and the air ride sucks!!!!

When I saw those Tc seats they did at first look a little hard and high and not as plush as the factory SR-5 seats, I had a set in my 84 I liked and put risers in the back to make them perfect!!!! I need another set!!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:01 PM

Yeah, .... I'm just dealing with them for now, ya know? lol. Unfortunate, back/soft tissue injuries... they really can ruin a guys day......or month.... or more, hahaha.

Today, I got a call from a buddy at a store I frequent and he asked, "Mark, ...you wanted a portable GPS, right? The guy that comes in on every sale and buys them ALL? HE TRIED TO DO IT AGAIN, today, ...but the store manager said, 'NOPE, just 5'.... well, that left ONE! haha... So, I held it for ya, but you have to get it today. It's a newer TomTom and it's 40$ for you!"........... LONE RANGER MUSIC ENSUES, DASHING TO STORE, ... 'ding,ding,ding' hahaha.. Yes, I got it... and it was charged and ready to go, fully up to date, etc.(latest version). Really accurate... I tested it out in my hood which is windy twisty crazy streets and it noted my fork in the road on my street, etc., really well.

Anyway, was stoked about that... I didn't wanna get a radio with that, don't really want a double din(I have a laptop for movies, lol). Now I just need to find a good deal on a Bluetooth/HD Radio or maybe Ser/XM unit with BT.... Anyone finds a good deal on Alpine or Pioneer or Kenwood, I'd be grateful if you share, lol. I just haven't had good experiences with Sony,..... decent one and a bad one with JVC.... and I LOVE the crisp sound that most Alpine and Pioneer Units have. Haven't heard a Kenwood in a while, but I plan on testing them out somewhere, ya know? Maybe Best Buy for a test run, then Amazon or something for the purchase.

Thanks in advance.. and let me know what I forgot on the "DOOR HINGE INSTALL" above, ok?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:04 PM

who needs a radio when u have the music of valve tick? hahahah! and score on the tomtom! long time no hear mark, gosh i need to get on more!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:56 PM

grats on the GPS. its nice to have. im still debating if i want a double din or just a single. i would go single but i need to know if my cb will fit under it lol i still dont have it mounted
Old 11-08-2011, 09:37 AM

First up.......

Curious on something, guys;

IS MY DOOR HINGE-THINGY POST showing up for anyone? Someone told me they didn't see any pics or video..... But I can see them. Thanks in advance for the answer.

Hey John, Toyo, ...thanks! lol.

John, my 22RE is pretty quiet(aside from the exhaust), but I HEAR YA! lol. I battled that 'TICK' gremlin for 3K before I finally realized that my former machinist was on crack or something while screwing up my motor, lol.

Sup Toyo, ... hope you're well. Thanks on the TomTom thingy. I mostly got it for the Mums....but she doesn't drive much anymore....so she'll only need it when she's going new places she's not been, etc. She always let's me know in advance a day or so....so I'll set it up and drop it off on those days. Otherwise, I'm sure it'll be useful at times. I've needed one about 4-5 times a year, that I can remember(I'm sure more, lol).
Old 11-08-2011, 09:41 AM

Chief I can see the video but not the pics.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by B-yodaful
Chief I can see the video but not the pics.
THANKS, B-Yodaful.... HMMMM, wth? Someone said they couldn't see the video either. It's not my best write up, hahaha... I'm just curious. I've been hearing this on Yotatech, from others, as well. Funny thing is IIIIIII can see everything.... no matter how many times I re-fresh, ya know?

Oh well, it is what it is, lol.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
mark, it's weird- every time you post a video, the format of that post is abnormal. and it's just your posts. not sure why, just an observation.

though, i can see everything. looks good!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 AM

hey mark I can see the pics and the vid fine, little trouble watching the vid but thats my crappy internet and not on you end. glad to see it fixed man but sorry for pushing you into somthing that turned into so much work.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:30 AM

Thanks, Ian, Jason, ....

I noticed the occasional 'weird format' stuff when I post Videos.... and, ...when I post more than one video, the formatting of this site seems to split it into 2 different posts if I go back and try to edit the post, etc. It moves everything over, etc. So, you think it's my computer, Ian? This is the second Computer I've had and used on this site...and it's always done a lil wonky stuff when I posted Youtube stuff! lol. Maybe I should try Photobucket?

PS> Not trying to be 'POLITICAL'.... just mentioning.... I hope everyone that can is voting today!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i voted!

anyway, not sure what it is, but all your material is still getting through, so i wouldn't worry too much about it for now
Old 11-08-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by irab88
i voted! WOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

anyway, not sure what it is, but all your material is still getting through, so i wouldn't worry too much about it for now..... I hear ya.... Yeah, and Photobucket videos seem less quality, and, well, they don't, on the surface, look like a 'video' with a "PLAY" arrow, hahaha.
Thanks, Ian.... And again, CONGRATZ on the 'Oil Seal Up' Project!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:42 PM

the GPS can show the correct speed your going since you have regeared and have larger tires

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread