86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Nice video with alot of good info. Glad to see you got the recline fixed with the c clip. Sometimes doesnt take much. Great job. There has to be the perfect fit out there, just finding it might take awhile.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, Terry..... Far as my indecisive nature(as it might appear), I'm starting to think that people might consider me mentally unbalanced or something? hahahaha. Jk, .... s'all good, and I have no choice.... I HAVE TO BE comfortable! lol.

The stock seats with the lil modding I did of padding, etc., are seeming to be OK for now. So, I will stick with the SR5 seats right now and keep my eyes open for a 'PURRRFECT' replacement! lol. It's not as if it's something that will compromise my rig just due to 'trying', ya know? haha.

I have some covers on there for now, but I'm going to return them... they've got lil seams in them that EVEN THERE bother my shoulder. lol..... But as I said, with the padding,.... I should be ok for now. It's TOLERABLE! hehe.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:29 AM

JasonTN was in Torrance, CA, the other day.... I met up with him and we hit Hof's Hut for some kick'arse Baby Backs and trimmings, lol. As with every other time I've met and spoke with him..... GREAT seeing/talking with ya, Jason! GOOD DUDE! (Was good seeing/chatting up Regina, too, buddy! She's a, as said in Fargo, "Supa Ladyyyy", hahahhaa.

This brings me to a tangent point, brought up by Jason in a kind yet FIRM suggestive way, lol...... "FIX THAT DANG DOOR HINGE!" lol. >>>>>>>>>

Jason mentioned "There's a Nissan pin and bushing kit replacement that's a 'done deal' replacment!" ..... So I got searching, and after a lil navigating, I found this post.......

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115.../#post51209517

This gentleman started the thread, and on top of him, I found in there that the lower passenger side hinge can be swapped out with my upper driver side one? (at least, ....that's what someone SAID! lol).

Either way, I'm going to hit Pick-your-Part, shortly, and try to rip me out some hinges that are solid.... Just for now. I don't really have a helper/assistant to help me get it off, so I'll use my hi-lift with some padding to support the door, then a strap from the rafters in the garage, hoping I can just pull the top hinge, completely, swapping in a 'working' one for now. I found around 6 4Runners there(all 2nd Gen), last time, but I also found around 5-6 xtra cab 2nd gen pickups.... And unless someone tells me differently... IT SHOULD BE THE SAME FREAKIN HINGE/BUSHING set up, right? lol.

Take care, ya'all! lol. If I can't find a decent replacement at the yard, I'll just do the Nissan kit when Napa is open on Monday(if they're open on Halloween! grrr, lol).
Old 10-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Laughing about yur indecisive nature. Been there myself. Sometimes finaces plays a part in that too.

I got to meet up with Jason awhile back myself. Had a great time talking with him. Great guy.

I am sure the hinges are the same. I found some hinges on ebay awhile back that were cheap also.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:59 PM

hahaha..... WAIT, ..... should I find that funny?......... Jk, lol....

OK, soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, .... lol, .....I found 2 upper hinges in both style trucks, 2nd Gen 4Runner and 2nd Gen PU.... They're both in really good shape, bushings are TOTALLY solid(I checked the door-play while they were on the rigs..... there was NONE, haha)..... So, I'll someday, soon, slap in the drivers side upper hinge replacement. I DID notice a difference between the two... The 4 door 4Runner upper hinge, while almost identical in hole line up, etc., .... had a larger piece of flange extending out from the edge on the body mounting side. I have to make sure it wont be a problem by measurements, etc., before I try to get em in. Plus, I need some caulking type sealer for mounting them. JUST A LIL! lol. I might just use the Clear RTV I have as it dries pretty solid/firm.

Anyway, more to come.... and btw, the reason I'm trying to decide on whether or not I can use the 93 hinges is because they look like BRAND NEW! lol. Both bushings, etc.

Shouldn't be too difficult to just switch out a hinge,..................RIGHT? HAHAHA.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THANK YOU that runner of yours is to sweeeeeet to hear that cuclunk when you close the drivers door, not to mention it can lead to bigger problems down the road. hope it goes well for ya. and I swear you know the best places to eat lol.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:00 AM

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on swapping in the upper hinge without pulling the door? Sorry if this is a dumb question, lol. I remember it was hard to get to the body mounted side of the hinge/the bolts, with the door on. BUT, if I can find a tool to get in there and not pull the door, that'd be great! lol. Also, curious if it might be a 'alignment' issue since it's off a different door. The holes ARE a lil bigger than the bolts.... so......, lol.

Also, looking for a Daily Driver for someone.... and she wants a Cressida or something like that, ...maybe Camry(older and MUCH cheaper type, lol). She's not opposed to a 2 door and it doesn't have to be SUPER on gas... it's more for local back and forth.

I found these, .... anyone?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...646664121.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...677234900.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant...672876237.html

OK, and then,.....whatcha'all think about this one as a project? hahahaha>>>>

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...676750640.html
Old 10-31-2011, 04:53 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Remove the wheel house(fender liner). Never don it on these trucks though.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:30 PM

Hmmmmm,

Well, my neighbor looked in there and said, "hmmmm, my Tacoma was diff.... I guess you DO need to pull the door... No biggie, just mark it well". I COULD get the hinge out, I suppose... w/out removing the door... but he's worried that I'll not get it lined up JUST right and then end up having to pull it anyway... Knowing myself like I do(derrr, lol)... I will probably try it anyway, hahaha. I was going to hang a ratchet strap from the rafter, pull up on the door, mark it well, then removed the hinge, then slap in the new one with a lil hard sealer, kwik weld or something maybe(???) and bolt it in. I'm going to hold the door up where it'll close properly and then adjust the ratchets so the door doesn't drop or raise as I remove the upper hinge(don't want any weight on the lower one)... After I get the original one out I'm going to mock fit the 93 Hinge to see if that lil bit of extra flange it has will be a problem or not....(might just shave it off anyway, it's not needed, just around 1/5" or so).

I will get pics of doing it, in case anyone wants to try it.... I'll post em whether it works my crazy way or not! lol.

Hope you all have a safe/fun Halloween!

PS> I'm stopping by Napa tomorrow while I'm near there.... if the Nissan Hinge Kit looks good, I'll just try to slap that in there w/out pulling the door.... I KNOW it can be done!>>> JUST not sure I can do it! hahahaha.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-31-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:06 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Mark, just remove the fender, no need to pull the door. If they are factory hinges, you will just realign the wear/paint marks. Leave the door shut while you remove and replace the hinge.
PM me, and i'll send you my digits if you need more info. But i wouldn't remove the door, unless you can realign it the way you want it.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by some_odd_girl
I love the Owen's Valley. When we stopped at the mine by Darwin there was a Jeep expedition out there. Have you been to fossil falls? I've been on a geo trip thru the Owen's Valley as well.
I've basically lived that valley for 2-4 weeks at a time, end to end, picking a different place each time. You can explore there for MONTHS and never see it all! lol.

The cool think about the Owens Valley and Dry Lake is that it's got EVERYTHING!

1. "Great Wide Open" view like many have never seen!
2. BUT, surrounded by BEAUTIFUL Sierras(plus Mt. Whitney, the tallest mountain in the Continental US at 14,440ft is just up from the base city of Big Pine, just north of Owens Dry Lake.... Not to mention Convict Lake, another beauty that's tucked in the top of a few peaks that are way up there.)
3. USED to be the "Dirty Sock" Warm spring around half way across the Owens on the Death Valley Turn off... But since that water plant went there, it's been defunct and left to rot... VERY sad!(BUT, the Bird and Wildlife Sanctuary/Marshes there are INSANELY nice with tons of "PIX" opportunities for Blue Heron and many other birds/critters)
4. Dolomite Mines are AN INCREDIBLE hike in there(if you're brave, lol). HUGE semi size holes and even bigger holes and passages all over, including some that go up at an angle out the mountain side, HUGE slabs of marble like stuff(dolomite).... plus the obvious signs of Campers/fire pits, "Suzy Loves Johnny", etc.) hahaha.
5. Just up the road from there along the east side of the dry lake is a Fish Hatchery that is BEAUTIFUL!
6. Great fishing in the Owens River that runs under the dry lake, but ABOVE on the north side(it's DWP land, but they let you fish)
7. All the turn offs along the 395hwy near there, where you can camp and hike and it's SO INSANELY beautiful..(The stars up there? YES, possibly the most beautiful view of them I've ever had, after traveling all over the states, Mexico, South America, Europe... etc.).
8. Fish Hatchery, Dolomite Mine, OHV Dunes, Dry Lake Adventures, Owens River, Big Pine City and Mt. Whitney, Kennedy Meadows Pass(to cruise over to the Sequoias), plus MUCH more are all right there, within a short distance of each other. It makes for a GREAT couple week trip where you camp in the Dunes and then maybe Head up North another 100 Miles to Keough Hot Springs/Baker Creek(all just south of Bishop). (Cant forget just a bit further north is Mammoth Hot Creek! )

One of my favorite places to just BATHE in MAJESTIC WILDERNESS..... LOVE the Sierras! lol.

PS> Great place to shoot back behind the OHV Dunes, back in the "Mines" area(it's washed out, but you can still get around with clever 4wd maneuvering ) . I will dig up some pics eventually of this mine we reinforced and built tables and beds in, storage cabinets, etc., ... and WOW, talk about 'LEFT ALONE!' lol. Actually, I have a pic of leaving the Abandoned Mine which is just south of the Dunes(Owens Valley Dunes, not Death Valley)..........

Dirty Sock Hot Spring in the newest rig.....

Keough Hot Springs, just south of Bishop, CA....(FAV spot!)...

Sorry for the tangent, guys... Just brought back so many memories and such. Plus, I didn't mention,..... GREAT WHEELING all around there, ....ENDLESS in fact!

PSS> Thanks, RBX, ... I'm off to work again,....but I'll get back to ya on that!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-01-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:40 PM

I love the Owen's Valley too. I want to spend more time going thru there, I've only done one weekend geology trip, plus the weekend Death Valley trip I just went on. I've been to an awesome obsidian caldera up there... and a mine, and been up to various high points... I love it. Oh, and I've stopped in at Manzanar, that shook me up a bit.

Owen's Valley:

I've got some from Death Valley too, but I don't know if you want me cluttering up the thread.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Wow Chef.. That is some great pics. I could be at the same place and couldnt get those kind of pics.

I did my hinges and just remove the screws that hold the inner fender. I didnt even take my whole inner fender out. I think from the mudflap to just above the tire.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:06 PM

COOL, Odd Girl! .... hahaha... well, you can clutter up my thread any time. BUT, I'm going to probably start a "My Favorite Places to feed my 'California Adventure' Bug" Thread, lol. I'll post a link here and send you a PM when I do... then we can share some spots in CA that, well, most likely people thought were simply 'sets of Star Trek', ya know? lol... Alabama Hills, Agua Dulce, Devils Punchbowl.... LOTS of places, even ones just right up the road from me in the Angeles Crest National Forest, ya know? Big Rock Creek is one of them... LOTS of fun and adventure to be had just 1 hour from Downtown LA in almost any northern direction! haha.

Thanks for stopping by my book ....eh chemmmmm, sorry, i mean 'build thread' lol.

Terry, ...thanks man! I don't know why..... I was NOT GETTING the 'inner fender' thing... i'm REALLY overwhelmed lately! lol. Brain Farting big time! haha. Funny, too, cuz I've done 3 write ups in here of Antenna, 8" light wire running, etc., all through that inner fender! hahaha.

Anywayyyyyyy, .....also read your 'lube the window seals' on your first gen thread.... I'ma do that on the rear window, tomorrow! Fronts as well. I have some good Silicone Spray stuff... worked great on my dashpot

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:23 AM

Here is a couple pics I took of my Hinge, before going into Pick-Your-Part.

Pic of me and my beautiful Daughter, Kayla, eating out....

And my buddy, Yotatech's - JasonTN, having stopped into Torrance, CA for a load..... This is us, COMPLETELY stuffed after a full rack/each of rotisserie Baby Backs! lol.....

Old 11-02-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MMMMMMMMMMMM Baby Back Ribs, OH that sound great!!!! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Old 11-02-2011, 08:18 PM

They were grrrrrrrrrreeeeaaaattt,some of the best ribs I've ever had hands down. Thanks mark looking forward to doing it again. OK back to marks build LOL.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:19 PM

Chef, this appears to be the most viewed build-up thread on the site 59,444,
let keep it going, good job
Old 11-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Chef, this appears to be the most viewed build-up thread on the site 59,444,
let keep it going, good job
one of the most complete threads for sure......GREAT job!!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:33 AM

Hey guys,....thanks! lol.

I plan to have plenty more to come, as I dig into re-doing the padding inside. Doing custom mounting rails for my Con-Ferr Rack, ... plus whatever comes at me! lol. I've LOVED doing this stuff, so far, and LOVE Yotatech, as well, for helping me get through it all! lol. But heck, some guys on here are doing frame up restorations and V8 swaps and truggy's.... etc, ....JUST SICKNESS! lol. So, not sure why so many hit this thread up, but they're welcome and I hope it helps in someway, somewhere.

NOW<> on to the Hinges, asap! I plan on doing them within a couple days. Just been really busy guys, ...sorry! lol.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread