86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we can bolt u some lawn chairs to the floor mark, itll work
Old 10-24-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh boy.... Lawn Chairs?........PROMISE? LOL. I'm waiting, ........ no one showed up to bolt in my lawn chairs yet..... Oh well ....hahahaha.

Sup WJY?

Well, I hit the Pick-Your-Part, yesterday, and as usual, the MUCH smaller yard a mile away from the HUGE yard had 10 Yota's and the big yard had 2! The smaller yard had 4, .... THAT'S RIGHT, 4 X-TRA CAB 86-88'S, ... but NOT ONE OF THEM had seats! Neither yard had a 1st gen 4runner

I'm starting to think there's a 'ring' of dudes with the same idea, "Buy as many of these 1st gen 4runners and 2nd gen pu's and SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWLY restore them.......Oh yeah>>> Make SURE that that Chefyota guy in L.A. doesn't get ANY SEATS!"... lol.

FAMART is a bit overwhelmed right now.... I might just show up with em, sometime after lunch and see if they can squeeze it in.

MY STORY FOR THE WEEK! lol;

At the larger pick-your-part yard in Wilmington, CA, on Blinn Ave., ..... I got all the way to the car after leaving empty handed.... Looking down as I approached my rig, NO KEYS! HOLY CRAPULA! I ended up speed walking through there and having been in around 40 cars in there, ALL OVER THE HUGE YARD, I got really worried that someone would be out in the lot with my 2way remote, 'beep-beep'ing UNTIL THEY COULD DISABLE THE ALARM! Even though the kill switch is on, .....with the alarm off, it would be easier to get one of their buddies with a flatbed tow truck out there QUICK and yoink it..... JUST LIKE THEY DID TO MY 89 CHERRY 4X4 PU! I was pretty freaked out, guys.... and was about to just go get the spare key, open the safe in my rig and get the second remote to turn off the alarm,....but I instead said a lil prayer, 'PLEASE, GOD, I'VE WORKED SO HARD ON THIS THING.....and the 2way alarm remotes are NOT CHEAP...please help?".........NO KIDDING, guys, ...the next car that I'd been in, a 90 Prelude, .....THE KEYS WERE RIGHT THERE, on the passenger seat!(I remembered I'd had to go to the pass. side cuz the drivers was closed with a gutted door). This was 1 OF ABOUT 4000 PLACES the keys could have been, man! I WAS STOKED! lol. So, I ran outta there and vowed to NEVER wear my keys on a pants belt hoop EVER AGAIN, nor over the top of my board shorts(that's how they fell off, board shorts). MAN, I WAS SO GRATEFUL! hahahaha.

OH, ....and, ....... While I was in the small yard, I looked at a half torn apart dash to see EXACTLY how the cold/hot mechanism-lever w/cable works in there to switch gates, etc., and I will eventually repair that in my rig.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
bring the seat down to SD and I'll weld it for ya..

I got a welder till the 30th
Old 10-24-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Outsane
bring the seat down to SD and I'll weld it for ya..

I got a welder till the 30th
GRRR, why can't a cool dude like you live in Torrance or something? hahahahaha. THANK YOU, Outsane! Very kind of ya... I will see what they want for it and then possibly shoot you a PM if it's too much, ok?

Seriously,.... appreciate that, Outsane!
Old 10-24-2011, 11:36 AM

Well, ......I drove down there after speaking with him(FAMART Owner) and pulled in the yard...... One guy is on a giant beam, turns around, says, "They're not here... try back in 2 hours"......... FUUUUUUUUUUUGLES! LOL. That was 11:30AM..... so I'll call in a bit and cruise by there again,....then letcha'all know.

Take care, guys,

Mark
Old 10-24-2011, 02:23 PM

Dropped the chair off at FAMART, .... good guys! He's 'GUESSING' around 40$ for all the welding and trying to bend out the bent portion of the lumbar support apparatus. Sounded good to me, especially considering that upholstery place wanted 100$ for ANY welding/repair it might have needed......... So yeah, it might be a good deal(GRANTING IT WORKS/DOESN'T LIGHT ON FIRE DURING WELDING, ETC.! LOL.)

Dagnabbit!.... I really hope this works out! lol.

PS> Outsane, .... I just wanna thank you again for the offer. That's very cool! I'd much rather hang out with ya and do it that way.... But I just don't have the time right now to drive down to SD.....probably wouldn't for a couple weeks. So, I guess this'll have to do, ya know? Plus, this way, IF IT WORKS, ... I could have it back in by the end of tomorrow/tues. at the latest

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-24-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:20 PM

FAMART called around 3.... I missed the call. GRRRRRR! lol.

Anyway, he said, "Hey, Mark, just letting you know the seat is finished. Come pick it up whenever you want. We are outta here at 4, but you can come tomorrow. See ya, man." ....... I got this around 5:50PM, lol. I'll go pick it up in the morn... GOSH I hope I don't need repairs on the reclining apparatus lol.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:39 PM
"G"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice 4runner, I used to have one the exact same color. Looks like you had a nice clean rust free example to start your build with.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Chef.. Thats the kind of thinking I like to see on the old 90 seat. Nothing to lose and possibly something to gain. I have been wanting to try about the same thing, just got to get some free time. The finger looked like a bad cut. Hope the welding works out for you.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:09 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Well get those seats in already, what are you waiting for?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by RBX
Well get those seats in already, what are you waiting for?

yea what he said come on aleady. jk hope this turns out to be a good fix for ya.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:56 AM

G, Terry, RBX, Jason, ... sup? lol....

Yeah, the finger hurt, but it's already almost totally healed..... and it never really slowed me down... I'm used to working with injuries, lol.(plus, have no choice, really).

G, cool I'm grateful to have a rust free girl to start with, trust me. Not that uncommon here in L.A.... But mine did give me plenty of grief..... I know of many rusted out ones that haven't given one of the gremlins that I've had to hunt... So it all depends on what kind of abuse they've taken, etc., or just CHANCE? LOL. But yes, RUST REPAIR SUX! lol

Terry, I hear ya on the seats.... You'll get it. Hopefully your lady will get it figured out.

RBX..... ehhhhhh, you razzin me? lol. Jk, yeah, I know. Just haven't had time until recently.

Jason, HEY! lol. Again, jk.... I know whatcha meant... And thanx(on the finger).

I got the seat back, yesterday, removed the tC seat and got my old one back in, welded up and repaired. I have pics and a video. Hopefully it will show/explain the workings of these a bit. I also figured out why many of our seats wont recline. It's not something 'broken'... Rather, it's a tweeked c-clip that comes out that holds the inner activation arm, which turns the rod that runs all the way across, turning both gears away from the retainer and allowing the seat to recline and fold forward. Mine is now fixed, without the c-clip and you just need to reach in and push the apparatus back into the left side/gear set up. I show it in the video, I THINK, lol. I'll load them later today and share. I also added some foam to the bolster wire that was poking through.... It's not perfect, but it's BETTER, ya know? lol. Not 'DIGGING INTO THE RIBS' as much, so to speak. The back portion where the springs were diggin in a lil through the padding was mostly fixed by repairing the lumbar bent portion.... and then relaxing the spring, but I also put a thick cardboard between the padding and foam. It should hold for a long time... but I might go back in and add more padding, as I have an idea, now, after the fact, lol.

Always grateful for y'all stopping in and lending a hand/nudge/razz, lol.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:08 AM
RBX

Razzin you?

I just used that word this morning, it is a word not normally present in my daily conversations.

So, yes, I'm most def razzin you.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 AM

Most definitely, eh? hahaha.

Cool.... Yeah, I've been a wreck.... but getting those seats back in made me laugh... I thought to myself, "Wow, if I only had tried that first, I wouldn't have 3 pairs of seats in my garage! lol. Oh well, live and learn, eh?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:49 PM

Back in the Stock 87 SR5 Seat goes..........

Video was before I recognized how to fix the 'reclining mechanism'.... (You just reach in on that lil ring with the tab that I point to and push it back outward toward the door... This will get the tab back in the slot where it can activate the gear that it's engaging... I can do a better/new video with the 90 seat to explain if anyone is having trouble with the reclining mechanism, k? )

Video......

Old 10-26-2011, 02:18 PM

PS> Considering grabbing one of these at the midnight sale at Best Buy(online only I think? lol)....

ANY THOUGHTSSSSSSSS????????????????????????????? LOL.....>>>>>>>>

Sony Link

Alpine Link
Old 10-27-2011, 02:28 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
yo.

so the new seat didn't work out eh? I'm not impressed with the seats in Joe's really. they work fine...fully functional( had to re-plumb a new line on the passenger's seat shortly after he got it so it would actually work) but I, like apparently other people, feel like I'm siting in a hole when I'm driving. have contemplated the spacers that 4crawler sells on his site.....but that's on the "nice-to-do" list.

anyway....carry on. how's the chest thing going?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:09 AM
RBX

^^^ I have really nice SR5 seats in my 88, they feel like they have never been sat in, honest. I have spent 9hrs in them with only one brief fuel stop during that time. I took some extra steel i had laying around and did the 4Crawler risers myself with some longer bolts. IMO, i don't feel like I'm sitting in a hole anymore....just sayin.

Mark,
The radio choices listed above seem decent. I have HD radio, and really like it, when i am in an area that has a signal, and Baltimore has quite a few. I have a Sony MEX-BT5200U i got it from Sonic, or maybe Amazon for $225.
I am not crazy about the layout or how you select a source...FM, CD, MP3...
If i had the money i would have bought a Kenwood Excelon unit, because of the Parrot Bluetooth integration.
A friend of mine installs systems and alarms... he always says go Pioneer.
I like my Sony, it had all the features i wanted in one package, the competition was more $$ for all the features.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

wow what a thread! Great work and tons of great info. Good luck with the seats. I feel your pain. I got lucky and found carpet and a seat in the same truck.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:59 AM

Well, the multi-quote thingy isn't working again, ..... ahhhh, lol.

Jerry; I have a coccyx tapered cushion in my side... and it is sunken more than the passenger. I guess the tiny lil springs just get worn out. I have more to say on the seats, lil later>>

RBX; Thanks on the radio info... I passed out last night after being overwhelmed and missed the "Midnight Madness" sale at Best Buy.... Oh well, it'll all work out.

P-Manager;

Thanks, dude! lol.... I'm going to now mention what I brought up to Jerry ("92" above^^)

Well, I have them in, and while in some ways I find them more comfy... I've already found them to be digging into my floating ribs. I think I know why..... When I broke the welds on there, the frame portion with the bolsters on it broke away from the back rest... and SOMEHOW, they became MORE COMFORTABLE, hahahaha. OH BOY, I hate this! lol. I got some 1" Extra Dense Padding at Joann's Fabric, yesterday, for the back rest portion(to get my ribs a lil further away from the most aggressive portion of the bolsters)... But as I do that, it gets my head further away from the head rest(I know, it's only an inch, ...but TRUST ME, it's a problem)...

So, I THEN went to O'Reilly's and got a seat pad(the kind that just covers the portion your body sits...not a cover)... And with that and the padding, it's a LIL more tolerable... But it's STILL really bothering me! GRRRRRRRRR!

I hope no one thinks I'm just whining to find something to type about.... This is the LAST THING I want to be dealing with, for one. Secondly, I WASTED money on other seats for nothing! lol. Actually... I think the tC seats were a lil better in some ways/not so great in others, like the rump portion being perfect in height, but A WEE bit too firm! The Camry seats are PRETTY comfy, but they don't go forward enough and they have the 'dial' type reclining mechanism(which is probably less likely to fail, like the levers do... Less 'stuff' involved, I suppose?)

So, at this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I also want to mention that with all my soft tissue injuries, plus getting a lil older now.... <<<< That HAS TO BE a large portion of why I'm having so many problems. I have plenty of buddy's I've known in life that are even 'thicker' than myself, with wide shoulders and chest, and don't have half the 'complaints' that I have.

Sorry guys.... I wish I had more positive news... I'M TRYING! lol. I can at least say that, right?

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread