86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:12 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks a LOT, guys! I didn't get to drive in it, today... the arm was KILLING ME!(Back of arm/bicep area, elbow and backside of forearm.) Could've been my swap and finger, caused me to be really tense and spurred on some tendonitis. I'm talking AGONY, guys, all day. It had me worried. If it wasn't my left arm, I would've been at least entertaining, "could this be a heart attack?"... cuz the pain going into my left underarm/ribs. I fought since 12, street/MMA/Boxing and wrestling..... and while I don't wanna admit it, ....while I have a great pain tolerance, .... all the abuse due to the above and all the sports as well,..... well, all that I did to myself has finally been catching up with me, lol. The knees aren't much better, ...and oh yeah, the broken back in 92 and 2 near fatal wrecks, along with 32 Broken bones total, haven't helped! lol. hahahaa.....but enough of that, sorry guys...Not trying to whine.. MANY guys have it worse and are even serving right now in some hell hole.... It just had me worried, it's not like me to be 'down for a whole day' without being REALLY sick, ...and even then, I usually still function. I WAS DOWN!

Just saw your sig, Z, .... I know they're your trucks nick names, ...but they still reminded me of my nickname growing up in Chuck Norris School in Santa Monica, that then stuck into everywhere I went, lol.... "Bam-Bam" lol. My other ones were "Lil Bull" and "Golden Bear", lol... YES, I liked to throw people through the air, hahaha. A newer one that's stuck is "Markoosh the Terrible!" hahahaha. I think the latter one is cuz I'm such a non-confrontational person nowadays. lol.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4;51804407
[IMG
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee199/imachefbrotha/Scion%20TC%20to%2087%204Runner%20Front%20seat%20sw ap/015.jpg[/IMG]
that's it chef. now that i know your license plate number.. I'm gonna find out where you live!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by blakefogt
that's it chef. now that i know your license plate number.. I'm gonna find out where you live!

Hahahaha..... hey, wait a minute, .... you already know where I live! lol.

Lol... hope all's well, Blake!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:50 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
yoyoyo

checking in on you late night in Pa. seat looks fantastic, hope your rump likes it more as time goes on.

not sure I'm liking this arm thing you speak of. tendonitis can be a funny thing as well as neck stuff, bursitis, rotator cuff etc. don't mess around if this persists.....you know you best and if you can't exactly nail it down to over-use or injury, there is absolutely no harm in getting checked out. better to be sent home because you have inflammation, than to be sitting at home having a heart issue thinking it's the arm. in 17 years of ER work and pre-hospital since 1989, I have enough stories to make ME extremely paranoid let alone try to dispense any sort of advice to you. my best advice is what I tell people all the time....you know you (like i already wrote) and if something is out of the ordinary and doesn't quite fit (can't remember an injury), get checked. better to be sent home being told that it's indigestion than to meet your maker with a bottle of TUMS in your hand wishing it was only indigestion.

I know you'll do the right thing. don't make me come out there.

back on topic.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 PM

Yea what Jerry said, take it easy buddy.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:03 PM

Hey Jerry, THANKS, MAN! Good looking out, and I TOTALLY appreciate your professional opinion. I will be seeing someone, sooner than later.

U too, Jason!

You know, I've been dealing with this since my wreck. They had to insert a tube in my lung around the area that always seems to hurt. I've wondered if it's possibly a clot, etc. It's more often painful under my arm/on the chest.... outside rib area. It feels like the pain is on the surface, ....not so much 'inside' my ribcage. Also, in the wreck, my rotater cuff muscle was torn nearly in half..... it's healed, and I have full use and range of motion, even better than my right arm(but that's because of sports/it was my main arm of use, the right, during pretty much any sport/fighting).... It's just strange that it's painful in my side/chest area, kinda under where the inner portion of the bicep rests.

ANYWAYYYYYYY, lol.... I will have that checked out, for sure. If I have a clot, I need to take some time off, maybe thinners, ..... if it's something else, we'd see what they say. Could just be long term muscle/nerve damage/soft tissue damage that's NEVER going to be 'just right', ya know? We'll see.

Far as the seats..... I'm just not sure. I removed the seat belt thingy, it was digging into my hip a lil. So, now I can get a good assessment over time, ...and I already feel a lil pain in my love handles from the bolsters, even though they're REALLY well padded, etc. The rump portion of the seats area lil firm compared to what I've grown used to with my SR5 seats... and, well, the fractured Coccyx I suffered in 1996 has ALWAYS given me problems, since.(Not sure if you know what that is,....my tail bone tip SNAPPED OFF in a fall while hiking the Sierras. BRUTAL PAIN! lol... But nothing compared to the DRIVE HOME WITH THAT GOING ON......OMGOSH!!!!!!! HAHAHA)
Old 10-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I hope all turns out well for you and get things taken care of and nothing serious is going on.

I read about snapping your tailbone, and almost jumped out of my chair. That had to be some pain.

When I was younger, I never thought I would get old. Now sure wish I had been a little easier on the body then.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I hope all turns out well for you and get things taken care of and nothing serious is going on.

I read about snapping your tailbone, and almost jumped out of my chair. That had to be some pain.

When I was younger, I never thought I would get old. Now sure wish I had been a little easier on the body then.
Thanks, man! And, ....OH BOY do I hear ya. I was thinking back, yesterday, while out in Yucaipa, CA for a Bio-Magnetic treatment.... "How many bones have I broken and muscles torn and 3 times with the ankles, wrists, back injuries, ribs, TONS of soft tissue damage, skull crack'n..... Eventually, I just asked them to write as I spoke, hahaha. Freakin Rob Kenevil probably has some competition, eh? hahaha.

Touching around myself on my scapula, .... I feel SUBSTANTIAL pain coming directly from the edge of it where it joins with the outermost portion of the ribs(Just reach back as far as you can under your arm, trying to reach behind your back.... as you touch the outer edge of your scapula, that's where I'm just ON FIRE!)

I suppose this is a large problem with 'seats'... But not the 'total' problem, lol. I also noticed that most 'aggressive seats' are tucked in the legs, too... they keep your legs together, somewhat. tC seats are no different in that, while they ARE LESS aggressive, however. The Bolsters seem to be the biggest problem for me with these seats. They're not SO bad that they're causing pain... but they ANNOY ME, and I would hate to take a 600 Mile round trip(with adventures included) to Havasu/Sierras, etc., only to find out THEY DO hurt, hahaha. Also, ... the rump area being so firm seems to be a problem with my coccyx/tailbone, ya know? With my injuries/soft tissue damage, I don't think I'll EVER find the 'PERFECT' seat. I'll always need my tailbone pillow(it's a tapered square that tapers to less toward the knees, so it's not cutting into your hamstrings, and it has a half circle cut out where the tailbone sits. THEY FREAKIN WORK! But, they also make me sit higher! lol. It worked perfectly in my SR5 seats...... And they were more comfortable, when not damaged, to be honest.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:22 PM

This brings me to a 'POINT'! lol...........

I have an IDEAR! hehe;

I have that 92-93 SR5 4Runner driver seat.... I think it might be worth tearing it apart and trying to pull the lumbar part of it out and reclining parts as well(if they're damaged... They might just be hindered by the lumbar portion being broken in my seat). I can also use some of that padding and add some padding and redo the seat by myself! WHY NOT, RIGHT? I mean, it's nearly destroyed, and if I can't fix it, what's the loss... Not to mention, I'm not going to be using the 93 4Runner seat..... so again, WHY NOT? LOL.

I figured out how to pull off the OEM seat covers without damaging them, HOPEFULLY, ....and I will take some pictures when I FINALLY figure out how it all works in there! lol. Being that ours are more rudimentary, I don't think it will be as complicated as, let's say, 'tC' Seats! lol.

DISCLAIMER;

I DO NOT think that the tC seats would be bad for most people of average size and height! They are BEAUTIFULLY built seats, .... very comfortable, ....just not ergonomic for me! IF I DO pull these out, I'd gladly help someone in LA get them into their rig..... I hope that all make sense! lol.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:17 PM

FOR NOW.... (pics, for those who get antzy when I don't post one every few posts, hahaha).........

MY 87 4Runner seat...........(Reason for my issues>>>>>)

I'm uploading a video now, but just for now.... The frame broke away at all 3 welds on both sides from the backrest portion. The video will explain everything. Just thought I'd dig in there, why not, right? lol.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:21 PM

Oh yeah, ....this is healing up nicely, hahaha....

Old 10-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chefyota4x4
oh yeah, ....this is healing up nicely, hahaha....

ow!!!!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
weld it back together, the seat not your finger lol. finger looks like it hurts
Old 10-22-2011, 09:11 PM

Im with toyotech weld that thing back together, maybe figure out a way to add a little more support to the area and you will have it fixed up buddy.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:04 AM

I might just do that, guys! hehehe.... I'm going to take it to FAMART CO. tomorrow, a VERY respected specialty welding place, tomorrow, just down the street. They can do anything, and specialize in repairing things most would give up on, ..... which sounds a lot like my needs, hahaha.

The problem is that the lumbar portion is pretty much toast... But, I already reinforced that area with some high quality firm foam(that green stuff) that I placed 'between the springs and the lumbar padding. It worked, I can no longer feel the spring pressing through the foam(THAT'S the other thing i never mentioned. *** I was having pain issues with the lumbar spring because it was BEYOND pressing to it's limit. I will be able to adjust it out all the way or in, once it's welded... but I wont, most likely, use it, now that I have that extra 1.5" of firm padding under there.)

I will probably add some cardboard between the foam I added and the springs, just to keep the springs from cutting into the foam.

I figure, "WHAT could I possibly lose spending maybe 10$ in material and a minor weld job? At least then I could HOPEFULLY recline again. THAT is the other point... I'm not sure why, but it wont recline. I think it's the lumbar adjusting apparatus portion being, now, wedged in between the frame and the back portion... But we'll see.

He's that video.........

Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 AM

lookin good mark, after i rebuild my front end and brakes im most likely going the do a complete sr5 interior swap in my old 87, seats gauage , console etc etc
Old 10-23-2011, 11:11 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Mark, take care of yourself man. Maybe we should take up a yotatech fund for armor for you, instead of your rig!
Old 10-23-2011, 11:28 AM

Thanks, buddy, lol... For some reason, I laughed when I read that... Well, I KNOW the reason, .... because I thought of "The Quest for the Holy Grail", hahaha.... "We are the KNIGHTS WHO SAY 'NEEEEET'!" lol. All armored up and STILL, "The Killer Rabbit from Yorkshire rips him to pieces! lol. I might just get a pic of me all OVER KILL dressed up to change the oil, for fun, hahaha.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:08 PM

Talking

It's the passenger sit? then weld it. as long as the Driver's sit is good who's GAS

LOL................
Old 10-23-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by RMP8080
It's the passenger sit? then weld it. as long as the Driver's sit is good who's GAS

LOL................
Hehe...

Nope, the problem one is the drivers seat....for pages, hahaha. Just messin.... and I MIGHT have it welded.... looking into it tomorrow. Already fixed the outside bolster foam dilemma, yesterday...... as well as the Lumbar padding dilemma on top of that. BUT, ... the lumbar portion is still a problem(the apparatus that makes it work, that is). I looked in a 'good but totally tore up seat like mine, today, ..... the lumbar apparatus/mechanism that engages the spring in the seat that I saw today, which was sound, was NOT angled in so badly. I must have bent it when I was trying to recline, and that means it's in the way of the reclining portion.... at least in part.

Trust me, ...if this was 'that easy', I'd have been done by now.... late nights messing with it, whatever, ya know?

I'd love to just fine a cherry SR5 Seat in LA... but I'm NOT finding them, .....and is that due to A LACK OF TRYING?>>> H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEY-STICKS NOPE! LOL.

If they want too much to weld it.... I'll just stick with the tC seat until I can find another one. I drove in it, today, for over an hour...... I've decided.... I CAN NOT 'break them in' to myself, ergonomically, ya know guys? They're just NOT gonna work. Well,...they'll have to for now, but you know what I mean, right? hahaha.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-23-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread