86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey guys.......

Pfffffffffffst! lol.. IOW, ..... P-u-P was pretty much a bust. The KNOBS cleared everything out of the Vans, moved almost every row, cleaned out the trunks and TOOK AWAY THE FREAK'N 88 SILVER BLUE SR5 4RUNNER!!!!! GRRRR! lol. Maybe someone bought it, who knows. Anyway, I found a Zombi 100 Amp under a seat, and they let me have it(I've made friends with the guys at the gate, lol)... He said, "Meh, that's just stuff that gets smashed with the rest of it when we total them and cube em.... You can have it", under his breath. lol.

The rims and tires and other stuff was all gone/thrown in the HUGEEEEEEEE pile of tires/rims at the entrance, other junk in another huge pile that was people trying to save things in trunks, etc. Funny, when it's not a sale, they NEVER do that.... the same crap is there weeks later. But before the sale, they suddenly 'clean up'??????? WTH? LOL.

Been really busy with life/work/otherwise, so I haven't been able to update/work on the seats. BUT, I did get some 1/8th box tubing with holes drilled in and some 1/8th 2" wide bar, for a plan I have, MUAHAHAHAHAH! I was in pretty good pain the other day, but I have a foam piece I just put behind my back, which helps a lot... so I can keep driving with my stock seat. BUT I TELL YA, I think what that REALLY does is make me procrastinate! lol. I will feel silly driving home on this seat, propped up with stuff when the frame just totally snaps off! hahahaha.

I'll be back with update, but pertaining to the queries, ............. Zombi Amp and some bolts.

PS> I DID find a set of VERY clean Prelude Seats.... They just wont work for me. They're too tight in the bolsters for 400-500 miles each way trips! And, while the tC seats might be a lil taller..... THEY COMFORT MAKES THAT WORTH IT! LOL. So the passenger hits his head on the roof on occasions, ...BIG DEAL! hahahahaha. JK, I'm trying to work it out...but it's not 'high enough' to stop me, ya know?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey chef!

Just stoppin in to say hey, Haven't been on in a while but i keep checking in!

Hope things are goin good for you and the runner.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:18 AM

Sup BO! Hope all's well for ya! What's the latest, homie?

Yeah, the Runner's great....just the W56/4th Gear Syncro Resistance that many have dealt/are dealing/ with, ya know?
Old 10-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I am not the biggest fan of tranny problems. Just not much you can do for them yourself. Atleast the motor, it is possible to do it yourself. Maybe something will work out for you.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark your thread is entirely to inactive, will you please start working on something and quit goofing around. Jk hope all is good with you and your buddy. But seriously GET TO WORK. I sorry again jk
Old 10-12-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Mark your thread is entirely to inactive, will you please start working on something and quit goofing around. Jk hope all is good with you and your buddy. But seriously GET TO WORK. I sorry again jk

Meant to say "you and yours".
Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I am not the biggest fan of tranny problems. Just not much you can do for them yourself. Atleast the motor, it is possible to do it yourself. Maybe something will work out for you.
Yeah, it's crazy...... It's like, as I drive, more sludge develops and softens up the shifting. I have NO bearing noise, really, and for the most part, the trans shifts just fine.... just that 4th gear. And NOW, it's VERY rare that I get a "grrrrrrrrrrIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNTdddd" out of her.... I have to really pay less attention to my shift/timing, hahaha. So yeah, it's a LIL PITA right now... but it's not something I'm justifiably worried about, like my buddy on here, Philbert! Nonetheless, .... I WANT IT FIXED, ....but it's really not an emergency. First, I have to pay off a couple things, PERIOD! Then I can worry about the trans, carpet, spare shell for con-ferr mounting, etc.

Hope you're doing well, Terry!

Originally Posted by jason in tn
JASON, wuttup, homie? DANGGGGGGGG, diggin today, eh? hahaha. I know, yer just kiddin......... I REALLY want those seats in.... cuz I'M DYIN OVA HEAH! hehehehe. But seriously.... my scapula area as well as floating rib on the right........ HOLY CRAPULOUS!lol. I'm serious though, it hurts.

BTW, thanks for the blessings, bud! BACK AT YA!
Old 10-15-2011, 04:40 PM

Well, I'm HOPING, God willing, to start on my seat swap, tomorrow. Actually picked up everything I'd need in 3 different route possibilities... So I shouldn't need to head out again for hardware. I'll get as many pics as possible... might have to be with the Canon D, which is really not convenient as a "process/build thread" point and shoot, .... but the cell pics? YEAH, they suck! lol. They're taking the camera with them tomorrow, so I'm pretty sure I wont have it.

Gonna watch the videos I did and make a couple more 'plan ahead' moves, tonight maybe... (Ie; Shaving some of the tC edges, etc., to make them more easy to bolt up to what I'm HOPING will work. Thing is, it HAS TO BE STRONG enough, not wanting to fly through the windshield WITH THE SEAT in a wreck, lol... And, well, if you've seen the wreck/s I've been in, pics, etc., .... I think it's justifiable that I'm a lil heavy on the precaution! hahahaha. Got some M10 HD bolts and lock nuts, 2"x 1/8th" plate and 1/8" box tubing with holes cut out that I will have to oblong a bit, etc.

Just need to shave off portions of the feet that are for mounting in the tC, to clear a lil more near the floor so the inside/rear mounting holes will actually just bolt right into my Seat belt holes.

Too hard to explain, but I'll hopefully get some good pics.

Hope all my eastern homies are having fun at RC! All the rest of ya..... HAVE A GREAT NIGHT, GUYS!

EDIT:

PS> I will MAYBE have to just settle for the drivers seat for now... It's the most important, really, and I might not have time, ya know? This is a first time attempt and for a newb, ME, at that! hahaha.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to the seat report when your done :}
Old 10-16-2011, 05:47 AM

I look forward to the swap and a Grade A writeup along with it. Gonna be nice to finally see you in some good seats
Old 10-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Your drivers side will go slow, after that you know the do's and dont's on the passenger side. It will go fast then. Wishing you the best of luck.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:54 AM

Well, as usual, THANK YOU, guys, for the kind words! ................Also as ''usual''...... I'm JUST NOW able to possibly get out there. And, go figure, their grandson just "showed up"...... So I told him I'm not available, and he even offered to help! hahaha... But, unfortunately, I've been overwhelmed with PHONE CALLS! "DAD, HELP!"........... "Son, I need to talk to ya."(My pops.... he's concerned over his health... and me, of course)...... And a home-girl who's daughter just rolled her car 6 times and broke several bones, ...she's FREAKING out, UNDERSTANDABLY! ...... But, as you can see, several hours has gone by and I've not been able to get started.

OH WELL, ..... :/ I guess I have to just go for it, even into the night if I have to. GRR! lol.

Gotta first pull the driver seat and measure for the size of square pipe I'll have to cut out and whether or not I'll have to grind off the tapers on the bottom of the mounting brackets feet. Just imagine this \_/ as what I'm talking about. It's not that grinding those tabs away will take away enough height to help the 'too tall' factor... but rather, to get the inside/rear mount to reach the bolt I want to mount it in(the seat belt mounting bolt holes).

PS> Terry, ... yeah, I hear ya. Only thing is the passenger side is 3" shorter, front to rear measurement. Ya know? lol. BUT, if I'm using the seat belt mounting for inner/rear mounts..... I don't have to worry as much about the difference other than the outer/rear mounting bolt location.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:20 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHH! Had this done and clicked the firefox close tab instead of 'NEW'... FUUUUUUGLESTICKS!

ANYWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY>>

tC seat on driver side is in. It was a LOT more work than I thought. 3 of the 4 bolt locations needed new holes. Lots of shaving/heating and bending, cut off of portions of the tC mounting feet/shaving down, etc.

First, I pulled it out of the garage in the nice sunny day to get started(Of course, I ended at 8:00! lol. But that's besides the point! lol. .............

Then, started getting tools/hardware & safety equip. out.....

Picked up this sweet set of bits for 18$ at Lowe's..... (keep in mind, even if they're not the greatest, I was about to spend 8$ on a single one of those very bits. lol)

Then, started drilling out the rear mounting holes after making sure where the fronts would be(The second pic's how I used a punch to mark the drill mark...did the same on the first one, but I'd already drilled that one when I took the pic)........

Then shaved off some of the front mounting feet, including on the inside of the inner mounting foot/all of the taper on the edge and then some beyond that as they were hitting the floor up front...... I'll do some before and after so you can see how they looked........

Before...

In this before you can see the inner/rear seat mounting holes(it has 2, floor and trans hump.... I shaved off that hump mounting portion....you'll see in the after pics)

After.....

Dowels gone and mounting feet edges and tapers cut off and ground........

Inner front...

Outer front...

Then, the inside front mounting hole stayed the same... I used it. But this is the outer one/hole location....

Both fronts installed........

Both rear installed(I carefully cut the carpet and it's under the mounting feet now, carpet back where it was..).........

Seat installed in the truck.......

When Installing these, you have to remove the CAT shield under the rig and drill through a Chassis Ruffle. I did so as cleanly as possible and then bent it out to where I could get a nut and lot washer in there.

Also, when drilling into the front/outside mounting bolt location, be sure you reach in and pull back the wiring harness under there. I almost drilled into it, then stopped and pulled it back(was getting tired, I suppose).

I nicked myself with the grinder on the fingertip(left pointer), right down the middle, when the grinder caught and kicked back very strongly. I think I probably hit the bone and I split the end of the nail(that's how far in it cut, lol).... I know, STUPID! lol.... But from now on, I will NEVER use that thing without the COMPLETE safety wear. I had on REALLY strong rated goggles... just not the gloves, DANGIT! lol.

I have to be honest, .....they're not as comfy as I thought, .... lil tight on the bolsters and thigh to thigh... but not bad. Just a lil firm, too. (I guess until they're in the rig, mounted down, with the people in them, leaning back a bit, it's hard to tell EXACTLY how they're going to 'FEEL'.... ODD<<<< but true, I swear! lol) ....BUT, time will tell. And, at least I have a much better idea of what will work/not work, ya know? The driver one, at least, is NOT too tall... And it goes forward and back a lot. Only a moderate road trip will tell. My left arm is killing me for some reason, above the elbow.... so I guess I'll wait on a longer trip to test them out... and for now, see what they're like on the 'lotta turns' city style driving.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-17-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:13 PM

This is cool Chef like all of us with trucks from the 80’s are seats are shot I have a bench seat and it is shot I want to put bucket seats in my truck so this is great info and your 4runer just keeps looking better and better !! PS. I started a new build thread it’s in my sig
Old 10-17-2011, 03:47 PM

About time!!! Jk. Looks like they fit well it fits pretty well, and you said you were no fabricator I'm sure we will be seeing custom plate bumpers and more flying on to your rig soon, jk. I really hope you find em more cumfy the more You sit in them.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work chef

Atleast the seats are Better then the old ones
Old 10-17-2011, 04:29 PM

Seats look great, Chief.....

Another job well done.....
Old 10-17-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seats looks comfy. now you need to get rid of the extra seat belt buckle
Old 10-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Those cutoff wheels will get you quick. Seat looks great. I usually have to drive for a couple of hours to find out how comfy they are. Your back will let you know by then.

Seems like every new project always brings new tools. I know how that goes.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:28 PM

Looks great! I hope they are better than the old ones. Definitly look like they are. Ya gotta watch those gut off wheels man. I caught my pinky finger right across the top between the 1st and 2nd knuckles. Zzzzttt, right to the bone, bleedin all over the place. Not good lol.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread