86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a former Civic owner I can say that the seats are nothing to write home about. They're not uncomfortable, but they don't have any extra support or special ergonomic features.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
PS> Met up here at the pad with 'Blakefogt' and his pops.... VERYYYYYYYYYYY cool people! VERY nice to meet ya, Blake!

PS> I'll leave the purpose of our meeting for you to share, if you even want to, k? hahaha. Hope we can meet up and wheel or camp or something, eventually, ...... tell pop's he's going! hahaha.
aw crap I missed this post!
yea i just stalled on posting because when i took the intake out, i found out the tube from the TB to the intake was so old it was solidified in a too small circle. so i put the cone filter / bracket on with the stock intake..then it wouldnt idle.turns out the tube got brittle and cracked. 50 bucks and a new tube later, and I'm rollin.. thanks for the great deal Chef. It was cool meeting you too!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by WD_40
As a former Civic owner I can say that the seats are nothing to write home about. They're not uncomfortable, but they don't have any extra support or special ergonomic features.
Yep.... I remembered, just after looking into that, .... I tried out a few Civic Seats in the Pick-your-Part and they did not agree with me, ergonomically. Thanks for the informative post, WD! I will not be going there, lol.

Originally Posted by blakefogt
aw crap I missed this post!
yea i just stalled on posting because when i took the intake out, i found out the tube from the TB to the intake was so old it was solidified in a too small circle. so i put the cone filter / bracket on with the stock intake..then it wouldnt idle.turns out the tube got brittle and cracked. 50 bucks and a new tube later, and I'm rollin.. thanks for the great deal Chef. It was cool meeting you too!
RIGHT ON! So, 50$ for what????? lol.... You didn't use the Powder Coated Stainless Tube??????? The elbow from the throttle body to powder coated tube(stock elbow, new) is 28$ at this site where I got mine. I had to replace mine as well. Dorman makes it and it's available at auto parts stores for pretty cheap.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:22 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dorma...item4840986dfd
Old 10-05-2011, 11:25 AM

I ordered that tube through Toyota with my employee discount for like.. 45 bucks before tax.. everythings running great now, itll chirping second and third gear now :p
Old 10-05-2011, 06:06 PM

Oooooooooh, ... now it'll be race time up in the back trails off the 2hwy down to the Valley on the backside!!!! hahahaha. JK!

I'ma probably head up there for a lil run, ....especially after a good burst of rain and snow like that, eh? Maybe tomorrow? lol.. I was gonna get some pics for the calendar while up there... but too late hahaha. Jk
Old 10-06-2011, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Chef..Isnt that 1/2 price salvage sale coming up tomorrow? Get to go dig up all of your buried treasure.

I figured that stainless steel pipe had to make some kind of a difference. Been wanting to get done eventually.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:56 AM

Hey Terry, .... well, I WILL, yes, indeed go look for my buried SR5 Rim wearing a 31..... Then see what I can find, sure. Problem is, ..it's HARD to hide tires/rims, man! lol.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:01 AM

PICK-YOUR-PART SALE, 50% OFF, OCT. 7th-9th.....

.......Just a reminder of what I've already mentioned. Normally, I wouldn't do so..... in the other circles of people I'm in....because they'd go RAPE THE YARD OF EVERYTHING! lol. Jk, but you get the point. Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there for anyone looking for something in L.A. County Area.... LOTS of good stuff at the Wilmington Yards.... they're around 2.5 sq. miles.

Just a tip to those guys at the yard....... ........

ROLL DOWN THE FREAKIN WINDOWS(especially rear ones on SUV's!) BEFORE YOU YOINK THE BATTERIES FROM THE RIGS!!!!!!!!!! please? lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-06-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:22 PM

Hey, looks like I got the Jeep Wheels that the 32's came off of sold.... May have a couple bites on the Camry and Maxima seats, as well.... WOULD BE A GREAT WEEKEND if that all went outta my garage! lol.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey chef, i have seats out of a 91 prelude in my truck, they were black so i was all for it. they are nice and adjustable, and 3 of 4 holes lined up! maybe try that out. they are about as high as my SR5 buckets and much more comfortable!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Great for you getting rid of the jeep wheels, taking up space and a little extra cash. I thought I read that other then the wheels you had some other things hidden well. I have been known to do that.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by truckman1966
hey chef, i have seats out of a 91 prelude in my truck, they were black so i was all for it. they are nice and adjustable, and 3 of 4 holes lined up! maybe try that out. they are about as high as my SR5 buckets and much more comfortable!
Hey Truckman, .....good hearin from ya, ........good info to boot. I'd heard that from a few now, and have a write up from Corax on here bookmarked.....

I tried out some prelude seats at the Pick-your-Part, several weeks ago.... They were, indeed, comfy. It was hard to try it cuz someone had removed the steering rod and the wheel was on the floor, hahaha... so yeah, I had to prop it up and sat down, ...they were pretty comfy. HOWEVER.... as I remember, they were, as many others, a LIL tight on the lats for me. BUT NOTHING like the Civic seats or oddly, MR2 seats(which were in the middle...not as bad as the Civic but not as good as the Prelude's) lol.... I guess it's become a serious "feeling out", so to speak, regarding getting 'JUST RIGHT' seats for myself, ya know? lol. I liked all the adjustments on the prelude seats and they seemed to open almost all the way on the bolsters til they weren't hardly pushing on my floating rib...And, yet, they were a lil wore out, so I think that turned me off cuz the wire in there was MILDLY protruding through the foam(I guess, ... I mean, I would assume Honda didn't make em that way from the factory, hahaha.)

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Great for you getting rid of the jeep wheels, taking up space and a little extra cash. I thought I read that other then the wheels you had some other things hidden well. I have been known to do that.
Yep, .... I stashed 4 Toyota Wheel Caps for our rigs, front and rear, and 3 wheels, and a special/custom rear seat deep dish rubber mud catcher mat that ran all the way across the back seat area. They even went UNDER the front seats on those spots, and must have been made just for our 4runners cuz it was in one and was a perfect fit. But the guy said "20$".... and I thought, "GEEEESH, I just had to get 'THAT' guy on this day, right?.... 30$ for a roll bar pad, both rear panels and much more from the guy before him....but this guy? HIGH ON GLUE, MAYBE? HAHAHA. I also got the Grant Wheel off the 4Runner in question.... but you never know... very well could be snagged by the time I get back,...you'd be surprised, man! lol.

Who knows, .....maybe I'll get lucky and another 4runner showed up in the interim? lol.

Extra CL money is good, because I'm fairly broke all the time, lol..... and maybe I can grab some things that will help me to fix her up even more, ya know? I know I got lucky on the panels and roll pad, ....cuz they are ALWAYS one of the first to go...., but I guess most people don't wanna crawl back there from the front, hahaha. DORKS... Funny thing though.... The yard takes out the jacks, manuals, toyota tools, EVERY TIME! I've NEVER found any in them, in many trips, ya know?

Guess I'd better get there early, right? Wish me luck! lol.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:13 PM

WARNING, Gross pics for some, VICTORY for me! lol...

HEY! lol.......... TOTALLY off topic! ..........

I know many people don't like cats... but when you live in the thickly wooded hills, it's good to keep a couple around. WHY YOU ASK? lol......... FREAKING RATS AND MICE! They dig there way into your attack and walls and eat the wires, etc., and well, .... I have one living RIGHT OVER MY ROOM, DRIVING ME NUTS GNAWING ON SOMETHING! 2 times, dudes, I've set up REALLY nice glue trap apparatus', almost got the mom, and then with real traps, and the bastard kept getting the food and leaving the trap there, set off and empty, .......grrrrrrr! lol.

Well, tonight, I was fed up and so I got one of the two local cats that my bosses have adopted all riled up, .... catnip and all, lol... then I threw it up on the roof when I heard the scratching/gnawing, right near where I KNOW it's getting into the roof(I saw it run in there with one of my strawberry guavas!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! hahahaha)....... Well, the cat BOLTED into the hole, then came out, ripped it's head off and then went back in, came out with another,.................AND ANOTHER AGAIN! hahahahahaaaaaaaa! Then it ran from me, with 2 in it's mouth while I tossed the other in the trash..... I walked around the front of the house and heard rustling in the leaves.... and this is what I saw........

OKAYYYYYYYY, sorry, I edited out the gross pic! Sorry guys.... I guess that grossed out some people too much to comment? lol. My bad, forgive me, k? lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-07-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:42 AM

Pic was kinda gross for sure. That was a big frigging rat or what was left of a big frigging rat. Now train the cats to go after your annoying birds and you'll have it made.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Pic was kinda gross for sure. That was a big frigging rat or what was left of a big frigging rat. Now train the cats to go after your annoying birds and you'll have it made.

Hahahaha, what, and ruin my chance to be woken up with the DAMMMMMMGUMMED Peacocks calling each other from 2ft. above my window.........at 3AM ?????????? hahaha... Yeah, actually, the peacocks DESTROY animals faces if they rush them, lol... They have HUGE talons, jump up and kick, as well as peck things pretty viciously(LIKE EACH OTHER! lol). But yeah, we have coyotes up here that take care of many of them. NEVER ENOUGH THOUGH! lol. Too bad it's a FELONY for me to even throw a rock at one! STUPID!

You home yet, homie?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I must of missed the pic. I would be more worried about PETA. We are having them in our local area soon for Turky Days and they arent liking it.

They are nuts in my humble opinion. Good thing Deer Season is getting ready to open here. I dont have much deer steak left. Try to get 3 in the freezer each year.

They are getting thick here and they have no natural predators and when they over populate, we get mass starvation like we had a few years ago.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I must of missed the pic. I would be more worried about PETA. We are having them in our local area soon for Turky Days and they arent liking it.

They are nuts in my humble opinion. Good thing Deer Season is getting ready to open here. I dont have much deer steak left. Try to get 3 in the freezer each year.

They are getting thick here and they have no natural predators and when they over populate, we get mass starvation like we had a few years ago.
YESSSSSSS! And, there are extra seasons, from what I remember, up north in WA, likely the neighboring states as well.... Why? Because, the white tail and black tail deer populations are not being controlled. lAlso, because they're VERY destructive to crops and grazing lands. So they call out the hunters and lift the limits quite a bit, etc., ...... RIGHT PNW'ers? lol. Not sure if they're still doing that... but I remember that they were, FOR SURE! lol.

Yeah, you missed the pic, Terry.... It was a really clear pic of a mouse tore in half, lol..... SORRY GUYS, c'monnnnnnn! ............. anyway,.... as I said, .... Cats DO, INDEED, catch mice! lol.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Yep, .... I stashed 4 Toyota Wheel Caps for our rigs, front and rear, and 3 wheels, and a special/custom rear seat deep dish rubber mud catcher mat that ran all the way across the back seat area. They even went UNDER the front seats on those spots, and must have been made just for our 4runners cuz it was in one and was a perfect fit. But the guy said "20$".... and I thought, "GEEEESH, I just had to get 'THAT' guy on this day, right?.... 30$ for a roll bar pad, both rear panels and much more from the guy before him....but this guy? HIGH ON GLUE, MAYBE? HAHAHA. I also got the Grant Wheel off the 4Runner in question.... but you never know... very well could be snagged by the time I get back,...you'd be surprised, man! lol.

Who knows, .....maybe I'll get lucky and another 4runner showed up in the interim? lol.

Extra CL money is good, because I'm fairly broke all the time, lol..... and maybe I can grab some things that will help me to fix her up even more, ya know? I know I got lucky on the panels and roll pad, ....cuz they are ALWAYS one of the first to go...., but I guess most people don't wanna crawl back there from the front, hahaha. DORKS... Funny thing though.... The yard takes out the jacks, manuals, toyota tools, EVERY TIME! I've NEVER found any in them, in many trips, ya know?

Guess I'd better get there early, right? Wish me luck! lol.
Any luck???
Old 10-09-2011, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Same as 86Toy..I was curious.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread