ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got faith in ya mark, itll be in there by next week or so
Old 09-28-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, guys!

So, ... any ideas on the seats videos? lol....

I was thinking Bent L 1/8th" with holes for the mounting the bolts in the same holes... use a washer and lock washer to secure it in and run em for now, after shaving off the pegs.

I've been thinking on whether it would be possible to mount these seats to the 4Runner brackets/rails... but then, the seats would sit EVEN HIGHER! lol.

I have to test fit the passenger seat, tomorrow, because if it's higher than the lowest setting I can use with the driver seat.... I'm concerned! lol.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Nicest rig on Yotatech IMHO!!!!
Keep up the great work chef!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Your truck is SHARP. It looks great. It is always nice when thigs come together. Cant wait til they have the half price sale and see what you come up with next.

Your mudflaps dont cover the extra width? I know what you mean about them slinging gravel, it will do some paint damage, that was a big reason for me getting my missing mudflap.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:02 AM

Dude your rig is amazing! I'd be a very proud man if that was mine. Good job..
Old 09-29-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
Nicest rig on Yotatech IMHO!!!!
Keep up the great work chef!
WOWWWW, ...I'm not sure what to say, lol. THANKS! I'm trying, I tell you what, lol.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Your truck is SHARP. It looks great. It is always nice when thigs come together. Cant wait til they have the half price sale and see what you come up with next.

Your mudflaps dont cover the extra width? I know what you mean about them slinging gravel, it will do some paint damage, that was a big reason for me getting my missing mudflap.
THANKS, man! Yeah, ... we'll see, time will tell I suppose. Plus, they're 'sometimes' tires, not all the time tires, lol.

Originally Posted by JustDSM
Dude your rig is amazing! I'd be a very proud man if that was mine. Good job..
GRATEFUL! Thanks, DSM!

Got a couple better pics today, NOT IN FOG AS THICK AS WHIPPED CREAM! lol.....

Now you can see how far they stick out... But also, look how much further the A-arm is from the tire now... hahaha....

Be back soon, hopefully getting some stuff FINALLY done this weekend. Wiring, etc., WE'LL SEE THOUGH! Dang work! hahaha.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-29-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:10 PM

the runner looks GREAT mark!!!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:30 PM

The stance with them wheels and tires are kicka** chef looks great as always. With em sticking out a lil farther than the others and rocks just have from the body line down done with some red linex so the the rocks dont beat it to death. As far as the seats will doing brackets like ian done work or do you have to go another route?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
now that i'm caught up on the vids and what not...

those tires look beast. 'nuff said.

seats:

for the rear outside hole, a simple small flat plate would work well, similar to what i have:

for the front, it looks like you'll either need to make some "L" brackets, or bend the current seat tracks.

if the holes are too far off from the stock ones, instead of a bracket, you could drill a hole and weld a nut behind the bar (most of the carpet would need to come out)

edit:
here's the link to my passenger seat install. you'll see i used a few different brackets
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51737123

Last edited by irab88; 09-29-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:15 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
goodness man!.....I think I may hate you and your bargain finding prowess. Nah. but I do know who to ask if I'm am getting a good deal or not in the future.

tires look good. of all the tire and wheel combos we have going on in this garage of our's, I like the looks of the tires on my truck with a bigger offset. just looks better. not to poke fun and feel free to quote me , because I speak in analogies alot in my job.....but my truck looks like a bulldog (because the tires offset quite a bit) and Joe's looks like someone clenching their butt running to the bathroom to take a poop (no offset).

he big difference in Pennsylvania and apparently, California, is the legality of the offset. My tires stick out too much, hence the fender flares, Joe's are just right.

keep up the good work buddy. time to take that thing for a nice road-trip EAST!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:33 AM

Since noooooooo one else is gonna say it the wheels look great, not sure what to say on the seats, I mean Just to bolt them in would be simple enough but the height issue could be tough to overcome.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:58 PM

Hey Chef those wheels look sharp!! I havent done anything to mine lately no funds for the truck. Those seats are gonna be nice, thats on the list of future mods for me as well. cant wait to see the seats installed. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jessamiah
the runner looks GREAT mark!!!!!
Thanks, dude with the DREAM RIG! lol.... Seriously, thanks alot, Jesse... as always, "Yours looks great as well, sir!"

Originally Posted by baddest94
The stance with them wheels and tires are kicka** chef looks great as always. With em sticking out a lil farther than the others and rocks just have from the body line down done with some red linex so the the rocks dont beat it to death. As far as the seats will doing brackets like ian done work or do you have to go another route?
Yeah, that's a practical idea, but I just CAN'T bring myself to go that far away from the stock look. I mean, the tires and rims are already very off that path, hahaha...... Just personal preference. Thanks for the compliments and input on it though. I would probably put on flares before that, ya know? ...something I could remove. Plus, ...the tires are really for trips, not every day use..... So I feel like I'm disappointing everyone when I say that they'll not be on very often, hahaha. But when they are, TRUST ME, I will be using the crap out of them! lol. This way, I'll get YEARS out of them rather than a year or two, ya know?

Originally Posted by irab88
now that i'm caught up on the vids and what not...

those tires look beast. 'nuff said. THANKS, HOMIE!

seats:

for the rear outside hole, a simple small flat plate would work well, similar to what i have:

for the front, it looks like you'll either need to make some "L" brackets, or bend the current seat tracks.

if the holes are too far off from the stock ones, instead of a bracket, you could drill a hole and weld a nut behind the bar (most of the carpet would need to come out)

edit:
here's the link to my passenger seat install. you'll see i used a few different brackets
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51737123
THANKS for the link, Ian. I appreciate you taking the time to float that to me. My main problem is going to be due to the passenger side 12.5" space front to back in comparison to the 15.5" front to back on the driver side... AND, ... I can't pull the frames off the Scion tC seats like you did, .... the mechanisms for the front back of knee raising adjustment and pump up and down setting are all part of that bracket, ....once I start tearing it down, I think it'll get even MORE complicated than separating the seats from the frames. PLUS>.... an even bigger problem?(which you can relate to being that you're even taller than me).... The seats are already a lil tall where they sit, which is LOWER by bottom of seat to floor standards than the ones I have now, ya know?(Meaning, the stock seat rails are already risen up higher than the scion.... so I can't really use the rails from my rig). But then again, I still can't figure out what to do, as I can't seem to find 1 hour to myself to sit down and plan it out with the seats out, etc., ya know? Gonna have to throw some of it scuba's way and see what he thinks.... And I KNOW he's busy too, so we'll see, ya know? lol For now, MY SEAT IS KILLIN ME! LOL. Might have to do a philbert seat swap! lol.

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
goodness man!.....I think I may hate you and your bargain finding prowess. Nah. but I do know who to ask if I'm am getting a good deal or not in the future.

tires look good. of all the tire and wheel combos we have going on in this garage of our's, I like the looks of the tires on my truck with a bigger offset. just looks better. not to poke fun and feel free to quote me , because I speak in analogies alot in my job.....but my truck looks like a bulldog (because the tires offset quite a bit) and Joe's looks like someone clenching their butt running to the bathroom to take a poop (no offset).

he big difference in Pennsylvania and apparently, California, is the legality of the offset. My tires stick out too much, hence the fender flares, Joe's are just right.

keep up the good work buddy. time to take that thing for a nice road-trip EAST!
Hahahaha... Well, thanks, Jerry! Hmmm, I'm not sure I'm the greatest deal finder nor am I patient enough with CL, lol.... NOR CAN I CHECK ON THERE ENOUGH! lol.... But I am figuring out how to fish through the LOS ANGELES NIGHTMARE that is "SNEAKY STORE ADS BY WANKERS!" lol. I hear ya on the bulldog thingy.... Guess I'ma have to think it out, cuz I don't wanna take flares on and off, I don't want Rhino(no offense) and yet I don't want TONS of pitting, which WILL happen, lol. Again, gotta think it out, ya know? The sliders I have planned might help some, right? lol.

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Since noooooooo one else is gonna say it the wheels look great, not sure what to say on the seats, I mean Just to bolt them in would be simple enough but the height issue could be tough to overcome.
Right on, Jason... I just love em.. one of my fav's on our rigs, as you know. Far as the seats.... it appears there is no 'simple' scenario available to me, but IT'S DEFINITELY doable, and probably more easily than I'm making it out to be! hahaha. PS> Watch the post, homie! lol.

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
Hey Chef those wheels look sharp!! I havent done anything to mine lately no funds for the truck. Those seats are gonna be nice, thats on the list of future mods for me as well. cant wait to see the seats installed. Keep up the good work.
I hear ya on the funds... I still have some personal debts I gotta figure into the mix... Just figured I would rarely find a deal like that in LA, for 5 on 4, plus some free jeep rims to get rid of, lol. I CAN'T WAIT ON THE SEATS, EITHER! .... but again, 'gonna have to, I suppose...... OUCH ,my back!', hahahaha.

Thanks, guys... Well, that gives me some input to think about... Interesting how so many people think differently/see things differently, RIGHT? I love that about HUMANZ! lol.

L8r t8rs, .... I'm SO FREAKING BUSY, I actually shouldn't have even typed this out, ..... but meh, WHATTTeverrrrrrrrrr! LOL.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:42 PM

Man those rims/back spacing look really good.....too bad Cali doesn't agree...so whats the plan?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:10 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
THANKS for the link, Ian. I appreciate you taking the time to float that to me. My main problem is going to be due to the passenger side 12.5" space front to back in comparison to the 15.5" front to back on the driver side... AND, ... I can't pull the frames off the Scion tC seats like you did, .... the mechanisms for the front back of knee raising adjustment and pump up and down setting are all part of that bracket, ....once I start tearing it down, I think it'll get even MORE complicated than separating the seats from the frames. PLUS>.... an even bigger problem?(which you can relate to being that you're even taller than me).... The seats are already a lil tall where they sit, which is LOWER by bottom of seat to floor standards than the ones I have now, ya know?(Meaning, the stock seat rails are already risen up higher than the scion.... so I can't really use the rails from my rig). But then again, I still can't figure out what to do, as I can't seem to find 1 hour to myself to sit down and plan it out with the seats out, etc., ya know? Gonna have to throw some of it scuba's way and see what he thinks.... And I KNOW he's busy too, so we'll see, ya know? lol For now, MY SEAT IS KILLIN ME! LOL. Might have to do a philbert seat swap! lol.
get some cardboard and mock up where it makes sense to put brackets, where it makes sense to bend the new seat rails, and where to position the new seat. i got lucky with the mustang seats, especially the driver's side. are you able to sit comfortably in your new seat , having enough knee and head room? (un-mounted, that is). if you have plenty, then it's a matter of positioning the seat to make the fewest, smallest brackets. with my passenger seat, that was the case. keep uploading pics and whatnot, i'll be tuned in to help out

Old 09-30-2011, 10:15 PM

No offense chef i dont blame you with a rig as nice as yours it was just something help with the rocks LOL. if your putting sliders on and only running them while offroading /camp ect. it shouldnt be to bad considering the speed heck prob not even fast enough to throw a rock out. If i see/think of nething on the seats ill throw it out there for ya.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by jiffylubej42
Man those rims/back spacing look really good.....too bad Cali doesn't agree...so whats the plan?
GRRRR! I HATE THESE RULES! LOL. But actually, I get it! I have had 2 WINDSHIELDS broken by guys running 'set ups they liked'! hahaha. I don't mind running it wide, but yeah... I just don't like being hassled by the 5-O! lol. Not sure, ... the skirts that I like are WAY too pricey, lol. 250$ or something? I'm sure it's 'fair' in price, but wow, lol.

Originally Posted by irab88
get some cardboard and mock up where it makes sense to put brackets, where it makes sense to bend the new seat rails, and where to position the new seat. i got lucky with the mustang seats, especially the driver's side. are you able to sit comfortably in your new seat , having enough knee and head room? (un-mounted, that is). if you have plenty, then it's a matter of positioning the seat to make the fewest, smallest brackets. with my passenger seat, that was the case. keep uploading pics and whatnot, i'll be tuned in to help out

Dude, I appreciate it! I have Scuba to help if I just let him know(not too far away).... but I just don't wanna wast his time by not being 'as ready to go as possible', ya know? Heck, even better if I could just do it myself.

I took another look, today, and for me to sit comfortably, height factor wise, I have to have the driver seat lowered all the way possible. That's ok, far as not being able to get anything under the seat, etc., .... COMFORT LIKE THAT IS WORTH IT! lol.... BUT,... the passenger seat(what I noticed today) is over an inch higher than the driver seat lowered down.... and it doesn't lower or raise any at all... no adjustments. This could pose a problem, even if I had different brackets, as the pass. seat would be pretty high with every adjustment I can do, ya know? Maybe the taco's are different(derrr, I'm sure they are, lol)...in that they have more head room, etc., ya know?

Thanks, very much, Ian! I will DEFINITELY get some more pics of the underside of the seats and the height from seat bottom to bracket, etc., ya know? Also, I might take the brackets off the Scion tC seats just to see if something 'mocked up' would be easier than trying to use the Scion brackets... THE PROBLEM, again, with that?>>> Much of the adjustments like higher/lower, etc., on the driver seat, are controlled through the Scion tC frames/brackets........ I might be left with only reclining capabilities, lol. That might be ok, too, we'll see. Time to tear em apart a lil, I suppose. lol.

Originally Posted by baddest94
No offense chef i dont blame you with a rig as nice as yours it was just something help with the rocks LOL. if your putting sliders on and only running them while offroading /camp ect. it shouldnt be to bad considering the speed heck prob not even fast enough to throw a rock out. If i see/think of nething on the seats ill throw it out there for ya.
NO WAY you offended me... it's logical, Baddest.... I'd just like to avoid it if i can, ya know? They ride pretty nice, and I'm getting used to them, and as I do, I hate having to pull them off! hahaha... But again, why wear them down more than I have to, just for the sake of 'looks', ya know? (I guess I'm just too practical? hahaha.)
Old 10-01-2011, 10:39 AM

PS> Met up here at the pad with 'Blakefogt' and his pops.... VERYYYYYYYYYYY cool people! VERY nice to meet ya, Blake!

PS> I'll leave the purpose of our meeting for you to share, if you even want to, k? hahaha. Hope we can meet up and wheel or camp or something, eventually, ...... tell pop's he's going! hahaha.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:32 AM

I'm still jealous of your ride Chef!
Old 10-01-2011, 04:43 PM

Hey guys...........

I'm going to head to the 'seat' thread, too... but I'll just do yet another one here, first.

I spent a bit of time looking everything over, measuring, etc., etc., ..... I'm just not sure these Scion Seats will work,..........I'll explain, in a video, mostly. The long and short problem is the passenger seat is, 1. too tall and 2. not easily separated from the bracketry/frame because the bracket for going forward is dual stage. Pull up under your feet and it goes forward some..... lift the lever on the upper/side or the recliner lever on the bottom/side and it rolls forward another few inches for the person in back to get out... But again, it's too tall, and doesn't adjust up and down like the driver seat, which CAN be made low enough, as I mentioned.

I think I can actually make the driver one fit without any welding even, ...but then I have what, my stock passenger seat? I do NOT want to do this mixed match, ya know? HOWEVER, I would roll it like that for now, just to be COMFORTA-FREAKIN-BLE!!!! Lol.

Tried out the Maxima seats, today, ....they might even work, but again are too TALL! lol. The driver seat is electric, ... so I can't really chop that one up, ya know? lol.

PICS:

driver seat on the left, pass. on right........ Driver is adjusted down........

Longer in the legs........

Bolt I could snug to my frame......

Ignore the bolt in this pic left/center.... the area center/top, where that rivet is, is where the bolt from my frame would have to go through and into the Scion tC seat.....

Here, I'm measuring from the mounting bolt location on the Scion Seat where it would go into my 4runner seat frame, down to the floor....

Here, the same measurement as you can see, on the 4runner....

I will explain more in the video... Maybe I'm missing something glaringly obvious... IT HAPPENS! lol............

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread