86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 07:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, ................. THE ANEURISM OF THE BRAIN ACTUALLY WASN'T IN VAIN! hahaha....

Again, THANKS GEORGE! Was great to meet you and, ...well, you know it when you end up chatting for an hour about the Yota-Passion and otherwise!

I also mentioned hitting Pick-your-Part, guys, right? Well, I found an 88 Turbo 4Runner with Gray interior...... Again, like last time, there was a guy RIPPING stuff off making nearly everything in there useless! GRRRRRRRRR! Cutting the harness, PULLING the fuel rail off instead of unbolting it! I WAS GONNA BEAT HIM OVER THE NUGGET! I stopped him, saying, "STOP, man! You're destroying things people can use... if you need a tool, JUST ASK, I have it, NO DOUBT!" ..... He responded... "I need the injectors and the turbo".... I handed him a socket and wrench and went back to what I was doing in the interior.... I got 2 rear panels that the speaker holes were NOT CUT OUT on, still with both jack and tool panel doors! lol... I got both rear seat panel pockets for the rear seat passengers(not common, I guess, from what I've been told)... I got the Roll Bar Pad.... I got the break, gas and clutch rubber pads, all perfect. I got the "deck light" switch in the dash, which I plan to some day install in the rear of the console for a "My truck is a tent, I need the light!" and another switch for the rear window to hot wire the rear window with a pre-on/off switch as well, so people can't get in and roll down the window, but I can once I switch power to that on/off/on switch.... I got the other two switches as well. Both roll bar lower threaded hole covers in mint(i'm missing one), all the gray panel fasteners for the rear panels... And I would have got the seats, but they were DLX and NOT very great shape. The guy in the front had already grabbed the Turbo Guage Cluster(KNOB! lol).... But I think I scored pretty well for 24$! Have to paint the panels so I'll be hitting up 'TERRY' for some tips on what is the best vinyl paint! lol...>>>>> Some of it....

Old 09-24-2011, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice score man, looks like you got a lot of goodies. Wish there was a better yard closer to me closest pick your part is a 100 mls, I like the wheels man I think I know a Guy that's got a set just like em LOL. Alright get those MTs mounted so I can envy you some more.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:03 PM

haha those look close to the wheels i currently got on mine and i feel yeah on ripping stuff apart for one part, saw some dude break a side window out just to do it, needless to say angelo (my toyota parts guy) wont be selling him anything anymore and made him buy the window LOL!
Old 09-24-2011, 10:08 PM

THANKS, GUYS! .............btw, these rims are only like 1 POUND! lol.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice snags Mark! Making her into a more capable off-road rig every time look!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I always liked those rims. Nice score. I dont understand destroying alot of hard to find parts. All you really need is a 10,12,14 mm wrenches, socket, screwdrivers and pliers and you can get about anything you need in 5 minutes. Maybe you stopped him in time for the next guy that may need something.

We did get about the same things. I have the passenger side pockets also. I just havent posted them yet. Trying to get brave enough to cut the holes out for the pockets. I would of grabbed the panels but some dumb fish, (bass)ruined them getting the jack or something out. If I ever get a deal on wheels like that or even found any would get them.

On the interior paint, I had seen some shoddy work before so was skeptical. I tried it on mine out of desperation as I am convinced that I have the only Toyota with a red interior. I see tan,gray, and blue all of the time. I tried it for a month before posting to make sure it was going to look good and last.

The biggest pain is getting the gunk and wax off. I use Simplel Green and water mixture and rinse real well. On the soft vinyl I used rubbing alcohol to help clean. I then put on a coat of Adhesion Promoter and let it flash off for a few minutes and then do a couple of light coats with about 5-10 minutes in between.

You having gray already would probably just need about 2 coats. If changing colors and depending on what color it can take 4-5 coats. I feel you will like the results.

If you can get an off of the shelf color it will be alot cheaper, if you have to have a color mixed up. Take a good sample pieces about 3-4 inches square at least in size and they can match it really close.

If you have to have it mixed, it runs about $23 a can here. If you can get one off of the shelf probably $5-8.

Since you are going gray and have gray, a can will last a while, but changing colors gets expensive but it is at least an option and cheaper then buying, and that is if your lucky enough to find the part. Just make sure it for interiors.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:14 AM

Thanks, Brian, ... I appreciate it. It was pretty capable before I even started, with 255K, worn out EVERYTHING, etc., hahaha... NOW, it's doing MUCH better, like at Body Beach in Havasu, AZ.... Soon as the MT's are on those Outlaw 2's, ...it's heading to the Angeles Crest back side for some cruising around in my favorite 'quick' spots(1.5hr. for me, ... 1 minute for you, right? hahaha).

Hey Terry, GREAT of you to slap so much input here.... Very grateful! That clear primer is a great idea. I'm pretty good with painting with a rattle can, so it should work just fine as long as I follow their/YOUR instructions! I'm not in a hurry on that.... I wanna put some 8"ers back there in a special box I wanna make, hidden behind the panel, ya know? But that's NOT on the 'important things to do' list, right now, ya know? lol.

Whatcha think about the links I've posted on your thread? hahahaha..... That guy is pretty local to me. Has the back seats in great condition with seat belts, etc., for 60$, too!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I seen on 85 4Runners build the white one you had and knew that was the one you got in the bad wreck with. First time I think I have seen it before the accident, looks identical to mine except the grill.

Just remember when I seen the crash results, I was surprised anybody could survive that.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:54 PM

speaking of tents that attach to the back of the truck... saw this pic on the banner along the top.. maybe hit him up?

https://www.yotatech.com/members/baj...aja-winds.html
Old 09-26-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I seen on 85 4Runners build the white one you had and knew that was the one you got in the bad wreck with. First time I think I have seen it before the accident, looks identical to mine except the grill.

Just remember when I seen the crash results, I was surprised anybody could survive that.
Yeah, I barely lived through it after several days OUT! lol. Broke MANY bones, etc., .... and I can only talk about it because I'M SO GRATEFUL!

Originally Posted by blakefogt
speaking of tents that attach to the back of the truck... saw this pic on the banner along the top.. maybe hit him up?

https://www.yotatech.com/members/baj...aja-winds.html
DANG that's sweet! Thanks for posting that, Blake... I'm really wanting to do something like that, but sealed well, ya know? HUGE skeeters in the Sierras where I sometimes camp at the hot springs, etc., ya know? THEY HAVE TO BE BANNED, BIG TIME! hahahaha.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:56 AM

Well, got the MK's slapped on the Outlaw 2's...

On my way home I stopped at Goodwill... just stop in there on occasion, as I've found INSANE deals on things they don't know what they are, ya know? lol... They had a Brand new Craftsman Truck Tool Box(the kind for under the seat, etc.)... exactly what I've been looking for, for trips/having in the car without taking ALL my tools.

I also found 2 Samsonite Bags that are EASILY 80$, together, new, ... one inside the other, but she charged me 7.99$ for both. Also found a telescopic handled rolling/collapsible cooler for 7.00$, 2 HIGH dollar Lawyers Tiffany Desk Lamps and a same brand Clamp Lamp, all brushed stainless for another 12$... SCORRRRRE lol.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:06 PM

Uh Yea my shopping list is on it's way buddy, I will try and sort it out for ya in categorys, Craigslist, pick your part, goodwill, your kitchen, you get the idea. LOL jk sounds like a good day of shopping.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:27 PM

Hahaha.. SUP, JASON?

yeah, that tool box is IDEAL, because it will fit my longer socket wrenches, plenty of other stuff, and fit under the seat, ya know?(I tested it out, lol)... Course, not sure if it'll fit under the SCION seats, ...but we'll see.

Speaking of the Scion tC seats, I will be getting up a video of some measurements, etc., hopefully today. I would love to just yoink off the brackets like Ian did with the mustang seats, but the things don't line up, and they're 16" rail to rail rather than 17.25" like the Stock seats. Still, they might work if I can move over the bolt holes and get them to mount, ....kinda like Ian did. The main problem with the 4Runners(1st gen), as I've said, is that the rails on the passenger seat are 12.5" front to back, unlike the driver seat which is 15.5".
Old 09-27-2011, 02:03 PM

Hey chef when do we get to see the mk's on the runner LOL. And nice scores Our goodwill has nothing but junk
Old 09-28-2011, 11:28 AM

Hey Baddest, lol... Yeah, I hear ya.... if only I had more 'TIIIIIIIIIIIME, TIIIIIIME, TIIIIME, TIIIME, TII........', yes, THAT'S MY ECHO, what of it? hahahaha.

Nah, really, just haven't had time to get down and have the 5th put on my spare. I will be grabbing an SR5 wheel with a 31 that I've stashed WELL when the sale happens on the 7th of October.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:08 PM

Some crappy videos about the Scion tC seats. MAN these are going to be a lil bit of an issue for a couple reasons... I'll explain more, later, but they're a lil tall(head hitting the roof type 'tall', ...BUT NOT that tall! hahaha), plus other things. But SERIOUSLY?>>>> they're SOOOOOOOOOO COMFY! I sat in them in the driver seat place and HOLY CRAPULA! Trips would be SO MUCH more comfortable...... anyway, as I said, they're not great videos, but there are worth posting, ya know? lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-InYlzZzDE4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvnT-rZrvm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHZyWJSnBKk
Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 PM

wow mark those look awesome! gonna be amazing when there done!
Old 09-28-2011, 05:30 PM

Thanks, man! Appreciate it, Josh..... the problem is finding a way to get them to fit, make them lower, hahahaa... Then finding the time to get down to Scuba for the actual 'doing' of it.

I got some pics with the 32's and Outlaw 2's on... Like the look, but I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not noticing that they were a fairly unique offset. They stick out from the fender now, ...not dramatically, but that is not really kosher in CA, not to mention "the rocks'n'such will be'a'slingin up and tattering the rig" hahahaha...... Didn't clean em or anything yet... just put em on... OHHHH, and I need to use different lugs.... the Toyota lug's washers don't fit within the slots. I guess I'm stuck looking for some outlaw 2 lugs, eh? lol. They rode ok, yet louder by a bit from the BFG A/T's, as I expected...........

Old 09-28-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good. if you ever wanna sell them. let me know lol. with that off set and the spacers i have. it would stick out even more lol. i like the wider stance look
Old 09-28-2011, 05:41 PM

Looks good Chef. I like the stance its got now

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread