86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 02:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Scion TC seats bullet points....

I'm really doing this to keep myself updated,...BUT PLEASE, if you have any input, please share.

I'm still hoping to get down to Scuba to make this happen the 'better' way, lol... But regardless, I need some pics, measurements, etc.

These are vague, but I'll explain.........

In the picture, below, you can see from side to side the front to front measurements of the bolt holes... It's 16.25" or so pretty much on the dot. The PROBLEM here, aside from the Mounting Pegs you can see(I know, cut them off) is that 1. the Angle of the feet(can add a bracket of 1/8th steel, heated and bent).... and 2. the last picture of the first 4 in this series will show how the front driver left mounting hole is 4" or so from the edge of the adjustments, etc.....

Front to front measurement.........

The last picture above becomes a lil problem in a sense of just bolting bracket adaptation up because the seat, while the same width, has the front outside mounting hole set INWARD around 2" further than my stock seats. My stock seats are 17.5" apart, front to front mounting hole... This means the seat would be either closer to the center console to get ONE hole to line up, or too close to the door for the outer one to line up, ya know?

So, on with the pics.....(I will get more today, probably a video, in good light, where I can just explain it all)

Stock distance rear to rear mounting hole on my 4runner seat...

The Scion TC seat rear mounting holes, which I believe are 15.5" or so(I will get more measurements today)... as you can see, are also off set a lil bit and with two mounting holes on the tranny hump area(I could probably modify this so that both holes are used, using the Stock 4Runner seat belt mounting bolt hole..... but it might make it too wide, so it could have to come off)... I'll get pics of all that too....

Stock rear mounting feet, which are obviously RAISED and do NOT mount to the center hump....And again, 18" exactly from hole to hole....

Sorryyyyyyyy, lol.... I will clean this all up and probably edit this post, later, but I'll still go on with a whole new one. And, I'll update my "Seat Swap" thread which is NOT yet in my sig, lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-22-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:45 PM

QUESTION;

Has anyone ever gone to Pick-your-Part for Wheels? I realized I never thought of that, and I also realized that they're 28$ a piece for aluminum........ ??????? Saw a 92 last time with 32's on it(tires were done) but all 4 rims were there.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:03 PM

PS> Please read above??? ^^^ hahaha

I found these as well....

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant...605099674.html
Old 09-22-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll swap ya my outlaw 2s for the steelys on Cl LOL. I ran ran those wheels on both my broncos. Jk man 28 bucks a wheel at pick your part don't sound bad, the old codger across from me gets 35/50.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:33 PM

thats a good buy, the guy i get all my toyota stuff though treats me good and got me a set of stock 06 tacoma rims for 20$ a peice, i wanna powercoat them black
Old 09-22-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
I'll swap ya my outlaw 2s for the steelys on Cl LOL. I ran ran those wheels on both my broncos. Jk man 28 bucks a wheel at pick your part don't sound bad, the old codger across from me gets 35/50.
You would? Or you are joking? If you'd trade me, I'll pick em up and you can bring em out next trip! IF You have 5, of course! lol.

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
thats a good buy, the guy i get all my toyota stuff though treats me good and got me a set of stock 06 tacoma rims for 20$ a peice, i wanna powercoat them black
Yeah, .... I guess it's a good deal, but I really would rather have the Outlaw 2's. Thing is, for some reason, aside from THE THOUSAND POINTLESS STORE AND REPEAT ADS on Losangelescraigslist.org...... I can't find a full set of Outlaw 2's for a reasonable price. ONE GUY has a nice polished up set(which I don't care about) and he wants 250$ for them! FOR 4! lol. I wrote him and told him "If he comes down, email me back, but they're available for 80$ each at times, BRAND NEW!" lol.

I guess I should just be patient.... If anyone hears of some let me know? hahahaha.

PS> I did a video explaining the seats and some measurements, I'll post it later.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:59 PM

only got four, and you make me feel bad I think I paid 250 for mine.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:35 PM

only got four, and you make me feel bad I think I paid 250 for mine.
Oh, hahha.... well, I was just thinking out loud, homie! lol. I mean, I find them on like carid.com and such for 88$ each brand new... so I figured I'd factor that in when hunting for em, ya know? I'm sure there has to be some Chevy trucks in the pick-u-part yards with Outlaw 2's on them... I mean, I SEE THEM EVERYWHERE! Why can't I find them now? hahaha

In reality, they don't have to be outlaw 2's... and if these wheels in that ad I posted are a great deal, please, people, let me know. 30$ each, I guess it comes out to,...PLUS gas to Palmdale(JASON, you know that's 2 hours,....each way! lol)..... Yeahhhhhhh, not sure that's a practical deal, or am I wrong? PLEASE HELP ME! hashaha. lol.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:37 PM

PICK-YOUR-PART SALE, 50% OFF, OCT. 7th-9th.....

....CAN'T remember, lol. I'll look it up again, ...pretty sure it's 7-9th...

So, for those L.A. and otherwise LA County guys out there.... or elsewhere.... LET'S RIP EM OF EVERY GOOD TOYOTA FIND! lol.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Chef.. Those tires you had posted earlier looked great. I was understanding you bouth them already.

On the rims and the half price sales they have, are you lucky. They rob us out here. Even though I did get some good deals at a Kansas City Salvage, 180 miles away, but I was up there for several other reasons, so it paid off.

On the seats. I put some kind of Toyota seats I got from someone and two holes lined up and two didnt. I just popped some new holes and thought I was good to go. I later found out I was up to 1 inche or so off center from the steering wheel and it drove me nuts.

You wouldnt think that far off would make a big difference. I know you will get it right and sure you are looking forward to the comfort that will come with them.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 PM

MIGHT have a line on a 150K mile W56 and some Alcoa Style Alum.'s and 4 GREAT condition tires for 400$ for everything.(I could just keep the tires as spares at that price, ya know? I think they're 31x10.50x15 Cooper MT's... not sure yet, he's gonna look, his GF left it when she left for some guy and he's selling it! He has title and everything... I just thought that was funny! hahah.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:44 PM

I know you want to get those tires mounted up, but if you really want the outlaw wheels I would hold out a bit see what pops up, no sense buying something you don't like. Just my HO buddy.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Chef.. Those tires you had posted earlier looked great. I was understanding you bouth them already.

I did, indeed, buy them already, Terry. 5 MT's, 4-Mud Kings and 1-BFG MT KM1 I believe all with like 90% tread..On Jeep 5 Lug wheels(4 of them. ..... the KM is not on a rim.)

On the rims and the half price sales they have, are you lucky. They rob us out here. Even though I did get some good deals at a Kansas City Salvage, 180 miles away, but I was up there for several other reasons, so it paid off.

On the seats. I put some kind of Toyota seats I got from someone and two holes lined up and two didnt. I just popped some new holes and thought I was good to go. I later found out I was up to 1 inche or so off center from the steering wheel and it drove me nuts.

You wouldnt think that far off would make a big difference. I know you will get it right and sure you are looking forward to the comfort that will come with them.
I willlllllllll figure it out, you're indeed correct, sir! hahaha. However, I will most likely need a more experienced "Fab" dude like Scoob.... just have to figure out a time I can meet up and that he's available... which at this point is ALL my fault I haven't been able to! lol.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:47 PM

I know you want to get those tires mounted up, but if you really want the outlaw wheels I would hold out a bit see what pops up, no sense buying something you don't like. Just my HO buddy.
And a SOLID opinion based in logic, it is!!!! ...... I agree, and I WILL wait... I started thinking with my.............4wd-Yotaticulytus-GENE again! lol. Thing is, I can't leave the dismounted tires and wheels at my buddies tire shop for too long, so I'll have to pick them up and bring em back here. See what he wants to charge me for just pullin em.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:23 PM

chef, do you do all your kick ass work with your wifes sewing tape measure? i love it
Old 09-23-2011, 04:48 AM

Wow, lots of stuff happening here again. looks good!!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:50 AM

chef , how is it going ? seems you are keeping busy . it is a shame you are not on right coast I just had 3 sets of toyota rims on cl 2 sets for free it took some time for them to go.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by jessamiah
chef, do you do all your kick ass work with your wifes sewing tape measure? i love it
Hahaha.... Well, not married.... Single, in fact. But I found those measuring tapes in some boxes of my bosses wife who passed on years ago and I take them with me to yards, etc., cuz they fit in my pocket. Sewing measure, eh? I hadn't even thought of that, thanks! lol.

Originally Posted by jiffylubej42
Wow, lots of stuff happening here again. looks good!!
Thanks, Jiffy! I wish I could make more of it HAPPENNNNNNNN! Lol.

Originally Posted by mfwimg82
chef , how is it going ? seems you are keeping busy . it is a shame you are not on right coast I just had 3 sets of toyota rims on cl 2 sets for free it took some time for them to go.
It's going well, Mike! That would have been great.... Unfortunately, the only 8" wide Factory rims are 16's and 17's, that I know of.... grrr! lol. It's funny that you mention how they're hard to unload... Like I've said on here, many times, guys in Los Angeles CList are HIGH on something, Mike... They actually put these rims up for 225$-250$, ALL THE TIME! Here's an example .......... http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...612327950.html ...WTH? LOL.

I might have a line on these, for just the rims, for 200$.... http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...609090208.html ....... But seriously.... again, ....... Can't blame people for starting high.... That guy is reasonable, .. ^^^ , ... but this guy, with exactly what I need???? good lord! >>> http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...615190744.html .. AHHHH! lol.

So alas, I'll just keep looking, ya know?

Another problem with L.A. Clist is that, GOOD LORD, the listings are always like 6 times what Orange County is(it's the next county over, starting around 40 Miles away from where I'm at)... same with Riverside, San Bernadino, etc..... Why so many ads you ask? FREAKIN LOS ANGELES TIRE SHOPS AND DEALERS!!!!!!!! It's like wading through 300 spam emails to get to 10 legitimate ones! lol. I've got it down pretty well, ...but STILL!

I hit the yards, yesterday, and they're having another 50% off days on the 7th-9th of Oct.... I stashed 3 perfect shape 4Runner Alum rims like on my truck.. and those would be 13$ a piece on sale day.... but they're 15x7's, ... and I'd like to run 15x8's, for sure, to prevent that "early death of the center tread" syndrome due to too narrow a tire, ya know? Plus, it's only 3, ...but at 13$ each, I think it's worth it if I can find 2 more, cheap, ya know?

Also having trouble with the Seat thing... I can't get the stock seats out to measure cuz if I do, I'm afraid they'll be stripped on at least 2 of the holes, for sure... They're REALLY hard to get out without drama, ALREADY, ...so if I take them out to test fit, I guess I could risk stripping them out and having to use bolts with lock nuts from underneath the rig to get out to 'Scoob', etc.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-24-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I have stashed parts before in the salvage.lol.. I always find the deals on C-list when I dont have the money.

Seems as though some days people are reasonable on their prices and the next day everybody is high. I know what you mean about shops basically spamming C-List. Sometimes when they have something I have, getting posted way out of range, I have been tempted to post the same item for way less. But our C-list is nearly as big as yours.

I am surprised you have to worry about stripping your bolts. We have a little rust here but not bad and yours being a west coast truck, felt it would just be a easy job for you. But sometimes the easiest of job an turn bad.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:54 PM

Terry, ...ROCK ON! lol. Far as the bolts, yeah..... it's not from rust, I have NO rust, anywhere on this thing(within reason of course...) .... It's from taking them in and out so many times and then when coming out, something happened where they were rubbing on the chair on the last 2 and pushing against the threading... Anyway, they're definitely fubar a lil bit! I WILL solve that, trust me, ..... you do trust me, right? hahaha.

I have pics of the stuff I got at the yard, which is FREAKY coincidental with regards to what YOU found, Terry! lol..... But first, have an update that I have to get pics of! (THANKS, GEORGE~! YOU'RE A RIGHT ON DUDE~! LOL)

Next post>>>

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread