86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow nice find and 32s is the perfect size. same size as what im running.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
THANKS, TOYO! I was worried people would sling darts of shame at me quick like! lol.

Actually, I had a couple other pics to share, from recently.

Someone asked me if I could get a pic from the side with my rack on backwards.... (HEY, the guy was helping me, and I didn't know! lol... He laughed afterwards and said, "WOW, it's on backwards, ..sorry, it'll get you home no problem, don't worry!" hahaha) .......

Got another picture for Swimmerboy(Brian) and JasonTN, hahaha>>>> One of my favorite cars, and THE COLOR should explain why it's for them! lol>>>

Then I got a pic of the seal I did on top. After this pic, I sealed it up pretty well with Water Proof Clear RTV............

I DID detail the rig(mostly, not done) and I'll get pics of that, tomorrow... really cleans up pretty well! lol

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-19-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:52 PM

Oh that's the deal on tires I've been searching CL in my area, from chicago to louisville and state line east and west of me, I think you scored big time!!!! Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 PM

so is the rack still on backwards or is that how its suppose to be lol??
i need a hole like that for my cb antenna lol but i dont wanna make a whole
i would just keep the plug you have. i can see what you did there and it will seal alot better than the plugs i showed. it looks like you used a gourmet with a plug that has been tripped to be flushed. good job and im sure its pretty well sealed
Old 09-19-2011, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by john4wd
Oh that's the deal on tires I've been searching CL in my area, from chicago to louisville and state line east and west of me, I think you scored big time!!!! Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!!
Thanks, much, John. I can't wait to find some Soft 15x8's or something to try them out on in the Angeles Crest, etc.! They should do well for what I need em for. I hope you find what you're looking for, soon!

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
so is the rack still on backwards or is that how its suppose to be lol??
i need a hole like that for my cb antenna lol but i dont wanna make a whole
i would just keep the plug you have. i can see what you did there and it will seal alot better than the plugs i showed. it looks like you used a gourmet with a plug that has been tripped to be flushed. good job and im sure its pretty well sealed
NO, I pulled the rack, Toyo,....gonna sandblast it and then have it powdercoated or paint it with Hammered or something. I kinda like the polished look with these. It WAS on backwards in that pic. That was the day after before I pulled it in and took it off. BOY was that fun, IT'S HEAVY! lol. I got on the roof, carefully, and had it loose, then stood it up against the roof above the garage door. You need a CB antenna there? Thanks on the seal job compliments, lol.

I want to ask, what is the best rim for the 32's? 15x8 or 15x9? OR WHAT? lol. I think 15x8 would work and they're so much more common.

I found some really good deals just tonight, ...I'll post them up for those in LA in case they're interested? Tires/Rims, etc.

Still would like to find a deck and a trans, and then I'm DONE-DU-DU-DUUUU-DUNNNNNNNNN! LOL. ........ << it is funny, ...they're never done! lol.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice score with the tires! I had a set of them they are LOUD while driving but they did do well offroad.

Sweet looking NSX too!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:20 AM

im running 15x8 with 32s. if i had a hole i wouldnt have to run it thru the sun/moon roof and be able to close the roof when im at certain places where it gets dusty or rain
Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice deal on the tires chef, i think it was worth every bit of 250
Old 09-20-2011, 06:39 PM

Lookin good chef, haven't even touched my truck in the last two weeks
Old 09-20-2011, 06:47 PM

Nice score on the rims man, just picked up a set of 32s on some preaty nice rims for 150, not sure what I'm gonna do with them yet. They looked great on my 97 but they are only 15s argh.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:47 PM

very nice build, im new here just kinda lookin around the site when i have time, i remember when i did my rebuild, those first 10 miles on my motor i was sacred something was gonna $%%# up and id be out a 22r but seems to be holding up well! nice 4runner too
Old 09-20-2011, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Nice score with the tires! I had a set of them they are LOUD while driving but they did do well offroad.

Sweet looking NSX too!
Thanks, man! And yeah, ... it was 'dialed in', too, Brian... SMOKED em in third up the street doing around 80! hahaha. Nasty lil 'chirp'er! lol.

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
im running 15x8 with 32s. if i had a hole i wouldnt have to run it thru the sun/moon roof and be able to close the roof when im at certain places where it gets dusty or rain
Cool.... Had a good dude on here send me a message with his experiences, too... it helps to just be sure what's best. More than one have said just run em on 7's, ....and the only reason I'll probably run 8's is cuz I don't wanna wear em in the center too quickly due to all the highway miles I'd have to put on em on trips getting where I love to go. 15x7 Stock Toyota Rims 6x139(5.5) are a dime a dozen, cheap... but the 15x8's, not so much, lol. I hear ya on the antenna thing.... I might just use the hole without the bung(you're right on how I did that btw!).... to run quick disconnects for lights up top on the Con-Ferr Rack.

Originally Posted by 4runFreak
Nice deal on the tires chef, i think it was worth every bit of 250
Thanks, man.....that means a lot since it's what I got now! lol.... OH... and I gotta clear something up. ONE of the tires is not on a rim, and it's a BFG KM, MT type...>>Not a Mud King USA... just as much tread though and I'm sure it's even a better tire in many peoples minds...

Originally Posted by SCToy
Lookin good chef, haven't even touched my truck in the last two weeks
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK! ..... WTH? hahah. JK.... You needing to do something? I noticed no action from your thread for a while... thought that was a good thing though, right? lol.

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Nice score on the rims man, just picked up a set of 32s on some preaty nice rims for 150, not sure what I'm gonna do with them yet. They looked great on my 97 but they are only 15s argh.
GREAT to hear from ya, Jason! What kinda rims are they and are they AT's or MT's? What kinda tread? PICS? THREAD UPDATE? hahaha.

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
very nice build, im new here just kinda lookin around the site when i have time, i remember when i did my rebuild, those first 10 miles on my motor i was sacred something was gonna $%%# up and id be out a 22r but seems to be holding up well! nice 4runner too
Hey man, thanks a bunch! I appreciate it.. It's been a rough road at times(pun intended! lol) but well worth it to roll something I've been through most every nook and cranny of! lol. Always things that can improve... but I'm catching up to make that a shorter list, quickly as possible, ya know? lol. thanks for stopping in, Westjohns! (PS> I've seen ya around, commenting quite a bit... good to see you jumping in!)
Old 09-21-2011, 03:05 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hiya....nice score on the tires. Brandon is running the 33-12.5's and they look awesome on the truck. almost never see 32's anywhere and 33-10.5's are more scarce. but those are what I want.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:29 PM

Hey Jerry! I know you're busy, homie... just glad you stop by on occasion... thanks alot!

Hey guys, this will be the spare... Like I clarified, 4 are Mud Kings, one is a BFG MT(I know, they're all made by BFG And they're all pretty much the same tread... So the 4 on Jeep Rims were dropped off today, at my buddies shop, and he said, "when you pick up the 15x8's just stop by and we'll slap em on there, including the other one at your house for a spare".... So this will be the spare..........

I'm already working on the Con-Ferr rack, and I'm going to add a solid mounting bracket up there to it... that way, the tire can be slapped up and secured without worry of straps, etc. I can still put stuff on top of it and all around it, plenty of room...BUT THEN AGAIN, .... I'm trying to figure out if the 32x11.50x15 spare will just mount where the normal spare goes? Anyone know what size tire will fit there? I really don't want a carrier on the back gate or roof if I can avoid it(weight thing). ?????????????
Old 09-21-2011, 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=ChefYota4x4;51790580]

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK! ..... WTH? hahah. JK.... You needing to do something? I noticed no action from your thread for a while... thought that was a good thing though, right? lol.

The truck is running great, but the spindle nut on the BMW in the rear starting backing off and ruined the rear wheel bearing, so I spent the weekend putting a new wheel bearing in, which is not the easiest job in the world.

Been super busy working on a long travel El Camino build at work and brining a chopped T100 back to life. Fun, but by the time I get home, I am too beat to work on my own truck. Guess I'm lucky everything is working for now

Looks like you've been having fun with the 4Runner.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:37 PM

[quote=SCToy;51790981]
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

The truck is running great, but the spindle nut on the BMW in the rear starting backing off and ruined the rear wheel bearing, so I spent the weekend putting a new wheel bearing in, which is not the easiest job in the world.

Been super busy working on a long travel El Camino build at work and brining a chopped T100 back to life. Fun, but by the time I get home, I am too beat to work on my own truck. Guess I'm lucky everything is working for now

Looks like you've been having fun with the 4Runner.
That El Camino sounds pretty sweet
Old 09-21-2011, 05:44 PM

Yep SC, I have been having fun! lol. I'm so close to where I'll be really satisfied with where it's at... and that's a good feeling.

Having an extra set of MT's soley for trips will be SICK! lol.

And like Z said,... WOW, sounds sick!>>>> Sooooooo, let's see that thing in your build thread, ....PICS, PICS! lol.

PS> Glad to hear the runner is purrin! lol.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Yep SC, I have been having fun! lol. I'm so close to where I'll be really satisfied with where it's at... and that's a good feeling.

Having an extra set of MT's soley for trips will be SICK! lol.

And like Z said,... WOW, sounds sick!>>>> Sooooooo, let's see that thing in your build thread, ....PICS, PICS! lol.

PS> Glad to hear the runner is purrin! lol.
[QUOTE=Z's Confederate Toy;51790984]
Originally Posted by SCToy
That El Camino sounds pretty sweet
I'll be starting a new build thread in the next few months, I gotta save some cash and stockpile some parts up, but be ready for something totally different. I've been scheming about it for the last few months and it finally looks like everything is falling into place for it to realistically happen.

El Camino/T100 pictures I should probably start separate threads for all my work builds, but since they are all going on at once I am just posting up pics of my work in general.

My boss Dave does most of the engineering and design, while I weld it all up.
The El Camino we are hoping to have ready to race in October, so the build is going to be picking up pace when we get it moved inside this week.
/End Thread jack

Really happy for you that the 4Runner is getting to a place where you are happy with it. I'm stoked for you!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:03 PM

really. i find 15x8 on CL often. well heres a pix of my full size 32 spare. its a used tire so it down to like 50% thread but it fits and should have room for a new tire
Old 09-21-2011, 11:52 PM

THANK YOU, Toyo! I appreciate that input.

I can't find Outlaw 2's to save my life on there! lol. 15x8's are even seemingly a problem, at least in the last few days. I did find a set of 5 for 150$. He's in Palmdale, nice dude, wants to measure to be sure they'll fit cuz they were on his 66 LC... so he's concerned cuz they were for drums, ya know? But they're aftermarket, the kind with chrome on the outer ring and black in the middle, kinda the same LOOK of Outlaw 2's, but not really even close to as nice, and I'm sure they're not Alum. Still, 150$ for 5 isn't bad, right? lol. If I could find Soft 8's for 200$ or so new, .... I'd probably just shine on the ones in Palmdale... but I got a guy doing the tire swap for me for free, and I can't leave em there, so I'd have to pick em up if I'm gonna wait.

I found 3 Outlaw 2's in Riverside, 15x8- 6 on 5.5... made for the rig. But only 3.... for 100$.

Frustrating.... to say the least! lol.

I will be selling the 4 Jeep Western 15x8 white wagon rims for like 50$, so at least that will help, ya know? hahaha.

...............I'm beginning to HATE CL! lol. YOU'RE RIGHT, SO MANY FREAKIN "STORE" and repeat ads on there in L.A..... GOOD LORD!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread